Combo fields

Hello,

Well, although I've already played a lot of hours, yesterday I discovered that there is such a thing as combo fields.....xd

I'm playing Reaper Gs - Sword/focus and I realized that in my buffs I had an unknown one called Dark Aura or something like that and I didn't know where the buff came from, until after a good while of reading all the traits and skills, I still didn't understand where it came from, so I started to throw skills until... I threw a well (which in the description says darkness combo) and when I threw the 3 of sword (jump finisher) on the well... bingo!!! darkness aura. So I was amazed and I started looking for information.

I found this https://metabattle.com/wiki/Guide:What_are_Combo_Fields and I came to the conclusion that I'm playing my characters "halfway" because I don't know this mechanic.

The question is: Is there any reference in the game to what happens when you use a combo finisher? Is there one that I haven't seen?

Because when it comes to skills and traits, it doesn't specify anywhere that when you use a combo and then a finisher, the X effect results, I had to look for it outside the game. And of course, a mechanic like that, I find it strange that it isn't explained in game.

Regards

Edited by Zorbius.2706
  • Like 1

They've tried before to teach this to people. In one of the many revamps of dailies over the years, it was added as a required daily and was promptly removed because people just didn't understand how to get them to work properly. It's back in the vault dailies now, but it mostly fires off for people automatically

At a certain level, there is a pop up tooltip which mentions them. I suspect most people just skip reading that too.

From the WIKI:

“Create combos with other players' skills in combat. Some skills, like an elementalist's Flame Wall, create fields that cause projectiles shot through them to deal additional burning damage. Check your skills to see your combo fields and combo finishers.

— Level 22 rewards.“

"Remember, you can combine field skills with finisher skills to create powerful combos.

— Level 52 rewards."

There are also rather unoticeable notifications on your skill/buff bar as well

I've been here since day one. I've barely paid attention to combos since launch. I sort of understand them, but I'm not a versatile or skilled enough player to work them into a rotation, especially at this point in the game where I'm pretty much not going to get into the highest end content. I occasionally use them for fire fields and healing, but in a fumbling kind of way.

Edited by Randulf.7614

"Do 3 Combos" is regularly in the wizard vault dailies, so they are definitely kept front and center. Granted, one can do 3 combos just by playing the game if they are engaged in group events and they have any combo finishers on their weapons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zorbius.2706 said:

Hello,

Well, although I've already played a lot of hours, yesterday I discovered that there is such a thing as combo fields.....xd

I'm playing Reaper Gs - Sword/focus and I realized that in my buffs I had an unknown one called Dark Aura or something like that and I didn't know where the buff came from, until after a good while of reading all the traits and skills, I still didn't understand where it came from, so I started to throw skills until... I threw a well (which in the description says darkness combo) and when I threw the 3 of sword (jump finisher) on the well... bingo!!! darkness aura. So I was amazed and I started looking for information.

I found this https://metabattle.com/wiki/Guide:What_are_Combo_Fields and I came to the conclusion that I'm playing my characters "halfway" because I don't know this mechanic.

The question is: Is there any reference in the game to what happens when you use a combo finisher? Is there one that I haven't seen?

Because when it comes to skills and traits, it doesn't specify anywhere that when you use a combo and then a finisher, the X effect results, I had to look for it outside the game. And of course, a mechanic like that, I find it strange that it isn't explained in game.

Regards

Combo - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Start with the above link....

At one point (HoT and earlier), you would find players using Blast Finishers on Fire Fields to pump up Might before a Champ or Legendary World Boss.

Today, there is so much happening that we can't really control what Finishers other players will use, but we can control the Fields we put down for ourselves.  As an Ele I can put down a Water Field and know that players will get some healing, or as a Mesmer I can put down a Light Field for players to remove a Condi.  It is possible Combos have more value in 5-10 player groups, be it PvP or PvE but, I think it is an archaic mechanic that exists but isn't relied upon much anymore.

• Like 1

The wiki is a good source of info on everything in the game. It has pages for all the boons and other effects which tell you where they come from, like this one: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dark_Aura

There are some places in the game which introduce combos, including story steps where you have to use them, but even then it's easy to miss or forget about them. The Wizard's Vault daily is the most persistent reminder, but also easy to complete without even trying if you're doing a lot of combat that day.

50 minutes ago, Zorbius.2706 said:

I wouldn't say you're playing your character halfway by not knowing about combos. Firstly you don't need to know about them to activate them (as you've seen) you've probably done it many times before. Secondly combos aren't that amazing. They're useful, if you can trigger the right combo at the right time but there's always other options to get largely the same outcome.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I wouldn't say you're playing your character halfway by not knowing about combos. Firstly you don't need to know about them to activate them (as you've seen) you've probably done it many times before. Secondly combos aren't that amazing. They're useful, if you can trigger the right combo at the right time but there's always other options to get largely the same outcome.

I've probably used them a thousand times without knowing it, but knowing they exist and benefiting from them (even if they don't make a huge difference) is useful.
Every day I discover something new in this game, I love it.

Edited by Zorbius.2706

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

. Secondly combos aren't that amazing. They're useful, if you can trigger the right combo at the right time but there's always other options to get largely the same outcome.

depends what you're playing. for example in the latest expansion there's a lot of condi that needs cleansing, with the right traits you're going to clear a condition every time you get an aura. knowing to drop a field and then to use a leap through to trigger an aura is very useful.

I'd recommend putting your build into this editor http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ at the bottom right it will show what fields and finishers you have, click on them and it'll show you the effects. I wouldn't recommend trying to memorise them all, just look for an effect you think will be useful (ie, do you struggle for healing? drop a water and a blast).  make an effort to incorporate it into your game play till it becomes second nature, then look at another.

You can play perfectly well with out intently triggering combos but i'm confident that once you startintentionally triggering them you'll see the value

2 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

"Do 3 Combos" is regularly in the wizard vault dailies

... and it works "very well" 😉, because I can finish it using exactly two skills: Symbol of Resolution + Whirling Wrath. 😄 No idea what triggers a supposed third for credit.

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The wiki is a good source of info on everything in the game.

Indeed. @Zorbius.2706, this table might be a little easier to understand: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo#Combo_effects

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

... and it works "very well" 😉, because I can finish it using exactly two skills: Symbol of Resolution + Whirling Wrath. 😄 No idea what triggers a supposed third for credit.

Indeed. @Zorbius.2706, this table might be a little easier to understand: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo#Combo_effects

From the wiki "This skill will only make up to 4 whirl finishers despite making up to 7 hits”

That's your daily right there, spin to win

• Haha 1

On necro, if I'm solo, I'm throwing out a well then jumping into it twice with Sword 3. Repeat for the 3rd to get the daily finished. 

Combo fields and finishers vary greatly per weapon set and utility skills, so sometimes you have to be intentional about what you pick.

• Like 1

The combo system is more useful in PVP/WvW than PVE right now.  The PVE buffing system has been powered up so much that there isn't nearly as much of a need to go into it anymore.  Most players ignore them, because nearly everything they do can be done in other ways.  However, as a seasoned player, I can give a short breakdown on when they become useful.

#1:  There's only three professions that really ever deal with the finisher system in a meaningful way.  Thieves, Engineers, and Elementalists.  If you aren't playing one of these professions, you can basically ignore the combo system.  The only thing you'll need to know is where your blast finishers are, because those are the finishers that will offer any sort of special toolbox or utility.

#2:  The two most important fields are fire and water.  Fire gives out the most damage and also gives out group might with blast finishers.  Water is used for emergency group heals with blast finishers.  With rare exception, the other fields are largely trivial.  Now, on to the exceptions:

#3: Thieves, especially in WvW, will use leap finishers through smoke fields to give them stealth.  They'll do this a lot.  You can also use blast finishers for group stealth, but this is far more niche and requires more coordination.

#4: Engineers have a lot of access to fields and finishers, including fire and water.  Scrappers have a trait that gives out quickness when using a blast or leap finisher.  The hammer has a lightning field on Thunderclap, which when combined with Rocket Charge lets the engineer spam a few more dazes.

#5: The Elementalist's gimmick is that they're the combo profession.  They have multiple combo related traits, and multiple aura related traits that also work with combos.  For PVE it isn't as important, but in PVP/WvW the ability to buff and heal yourself (and cleanse conditions) hinges on your ability to use the combo system.  

• Like 2