Guild wars 3

2 hours ago, Headhunter.4796 said:

Not sure why they would create GW3. I’d simply work on a new engine/ transfer over GW2 and provide new content in that game.

Because there many are more players they want to attract than just staunch GW2 fans. And on top of that GW2 cannot go on forever like this. Even MMOs have their limits about what you can do with them and new players are already looking at a vast amount of content they need to do before they're caught up. That will only get worse over time and it's already a daunting task for new players.

At some point you just need to start fresh with a new game, with a new foundation. New characters, new story lines, new options etc. Everybody at the same starting point again.

Besides transferring an MMO game over to a new engine is more costly than it's worth afaic. I believe that Mortal Online 2 (released in 2022 on UE4) will be the FIRST MMO that will change engines and it'll be a version of UE5. So there's a reason that it's not been done before and I'm thinking that it's viable for that game because it's a new game still that was released with an engine within the same engine family that they're going to chnage to (UE4 to UE5). And I would think that's a helluva lot easier than from their own engine to an Unreal engine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Is this the case with the number one MMO? 

They are the exception rather than the rule, but yes, even they have limits what they can do with the game. GW2 just has a way smaller player base and financial backing so that makes the limits more urgent.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Ive read quite a lot of your post, and to be fair i respect that you belive in whatever you want, however your gastlighting people big time here with made up things and taking the info you want.

1) The "random" NCsoft guy is literally the CEO of NCsoft WEST and Arenanet. Anet answer to NCSOFT for any big decision like a new game, so that guy is literally their boss. And if he says they are making GW3 to their investors, its the truth and it align perfecly with all the DATA we already had about the "unanounced project". Dont make it look like it was a random twitter user please. 

2) Arenanet has been 2 years 98% just hiring for the unnanounced project, which is a MMORPG with stablish fantasy IP under Unreal Engine 5. Which already suggested a posible GW3, that is already confirmed by the NCSOFT director. On top of that people from the GW2 team like Mathew Medina, Aron Coberly has stated pubicly that they have moved from GW2 to the unannounced project and that THEY HAVE PORTED hundreds of GW2 assets into unreal engine 5 for the new unnanounced project, another evidence if the other ones didnt serve you already enough.

3) The quality drop in GW2 content aswell as the recycling is something no1 can deny and it has been talked since a few years already. Just look at SoTo and any other expansion to see its hard to belive they are "full focused on GW2", also if they are just full focused on GW2 why they have been 2 years hiring just for the unanounced project? oh your theory is breaking in parts man.

4) They havent deny the fact that they are working on GW3, which is something that is and will affect GW2 earnings so if it wasnt true the most logical movement would have been denying it. And they wont confirm it either cos it will make more and more people leave from GW2 for a game that is still some years away. So they just gave a vague answer that literally means nothing "we are always looking to create new games" what the hell is that? when your owners have said already that your making GW3 and since 2 years we know about your "unannounced project", thats literally like saying nothing, and on top of that "we are focused on gw2" to create some half-fake positive feeling "PR-talk".

5) When they started hiring for the "unanounced project" Arenanet had about 239 employees by their Linkedin, now they have close to 350 employees and if you go every week into carreers you will just see positions opened for the unannounced project not GW2, which again doesnt align with the "we are full focused on gw2". The GW2 director has said that the GW2 team is about the size of LWS4 that it was around 215 employees (by some old devs comments at that time), so i guess that 125 employees are working on the unannouned project already and more will join that team as time pass by.

Please belive what you want, but dont gaslight people. 

I did not know they ported GW2 assets over to UE5. Could you by chance direct me to where that was said?

Anyway, that just says more that their project is moving GW2 to the UE5 engine, which supports the 'continued development of GW2' as they have said was their priority, rather than a GW3. The 'drop in quality' could easily be explained by that. Adding huge amounts of content amidst the port to UE5 just creates more work for them, so they are doing these 'smaller expansions' to avoid a content drought while they port this game over to UE5. Once the port is done, they can go back to making bigger content. GW2 is a huge game and porting everything over is a monumental task. There's no need to create a sequel to this game, when all they need to do is upgrade to the engine (which could address a lot of the real issues with this game in terms of optimization and is one of the big things people have been asking for) and continue to build on what they already have. Unannounced project does not mean sequel. It's no secret they are working on something. My bet is still on the porting of GW2 over to UE5, not GW3.

A change that big is basically like making a new game from scratch. That does NOT mean GW3. Again, it is entirely possible that the guy at the meeting misspoke and meant to say GW2. We can't know for sure.

Regardless, we should wait for an actual announcement or confirmation, job postings be damned. Wait for official word. Speculations here about a fictional GW3 serve no purpose other than to dissuade people from playing GW2.

Besides, I am not gaslighting. Gaslighting involves malicious psychological manipulation. You telling me that my 'theory is breaking in parts' is more akin to gaslighting than anything I have said. All I'm doing is telling people to cool it with their speculations because it is hurting the game, talking about how 'GW2 is over' or some such.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

I did not know they ported GW2 assets over to UE5. Could you by chance direct me to where that was said?

Anyway, that just says more that their project is moving GW2 to the UE5 engine, which supports the 'continued development of GW2' as they have said was their priority, rather than a GW3. The 'drop in quality' could easily be explained by that. Adding huge amounts of content amidst the port to UE5 just creates more work for them, so they are doing these 'smaller expansions' to avoid a content drought while they port this game over to UE5. Once the port is done, they can go back to making bigger content. GW2 is a huge game and porting everything over is a monumental task. There's no need to create a sequel to this game, when all they need to do is upgrade to the engine (which could address a lot of the real issues with this game in terms of optimization and is one of the big things people have been asking for) and continue to build on what they already have. Unannounced project does not mean sequel. It's no secret they are working on something. My bet is still on the porting of GW2 over to UE5, not GW3.

A change that big is basically like making a new game from scratch. That does NOT mean GW3. Again, it is entirely possible that the guy at the meeting misspoke and meant to say GW2. We can't know for sure.

Regardless, we should wait for an actual announcement or confirmation, job postings be damned. Wait for official word. Speculations here about a fictional GW3 serve no purpose other than to dissuade people from playing GW2.

Besides, I am not gaslighting. Gaslighting involves malicious psychological manipulation. You telling me that my 'theory is breaking in parts' is more akin to gaslighting than anything I have said. All I'm doing is telling people to cool it with their speculations because it is hurting the game, talking about how 'GW2 is over' or some such.

Come on, you're really reaching here. Are your explanations for the info we've got possible? Sure. Are they likely? No, quite the opposite. You're trying to look for extremely unprobable explanations for what is happening just to be able to ignore the explanations that are the most likely. That's just sticking your head in the sand, while covering your ears and singing loudly "la la la i can't hear anything" at the same time. Which is fine if it's just you. Trying to push that approach on others however is hardly fine though.

You might want to deny reality and live in your willful ignorance, because being informed would threaten your safety bubble, but i'd rather prefer to make informed decisions about my present and future. And i think everyone else has a right to make such informed decisions as well.

Ignorance is not bliss. It is a tragedy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

23 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

If they did indeed port over GW2 assets to UE5, they could also be used for GW3. Like if certain characters or places or whatever appear in GW3 as well they could use those assets as a starting point rather than completely starting over. In the end we don't know anything other than that it's at least being talked about within NcSoft and anything more seems speculation to me.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 9:48 AM, Zera.9435 said:

Anyway, that just says more that their project is moving GW2 to the UE5 engine, which supports the 'continued development of GW2' as they have said was their priority, rather than a GW3.

Note that would drastically change the course of GW2. The reason to move to Unreal would be for a mobile (and console) version, which NCSoft was wanting a few years ago (but now they want GW3). It's a possibility, but the job listings back in 2018 outright stated they were making a new online RPG.

Edited by Healix.5819
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Come on, you're really reaching here. Are your explanations for the info we've got possible? Sure. Are they likely? No, quite the opposite. You're trying to look for extremely unprobable explanations for what is happening just to be able to ignore the explanations that are the most likely. That's just sticking your head in the sand, while covering your ears and singing loudly "la la la i can't hear anything" at the same time. Which is fine if it's just you. Trying to push that approach on others however is hardly fine though.

You might want to deny reality and live in your willful ignorance, because being informed would threaten your safety bubble, but i'd rather prefer to make informed decisions about my present and future. And i think everyone else has a right to make such informed decisions as well.

Ignorance is not bliss. It is a tragedy.

Maybe my explanations are unlikely, maybe not. We won't know until ArenaNet gives out official information. Advocating to sit back and wait for information is not the same as sticking your head in the sand. At no point have I told anyone to 'stick their head in the sand' in any way, shape, or form. The only thing I have been saying this entire time is to wait for official information and to stop acting like GW3 is currently in active development/GW2 is over. You can't make informed decisions without officially confirmed information. All the decisions you've made up to this point, whatever those decisions are, are either uninformed or misinformed. Wait for officially confirmed info to make your decisions.

23 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

If they did indeed port over GW2 assets to UE5, they could also be used for GW3. Like if certain characters or places or whatever appear in GW3 as well they could use those assets as a starting point rather than completely starting over. In the end we don't know anything other than that it's at least being talked about within NcSoft and anything more seems speculation to me.

Yes, it is possible that GW2 assets can be used to create a new game, or just rebranding GW2 upgraded to the UE5 engine as GW3, similar to how Blizzard did with Overwatch to Overwatch 2. It could also be that they're doing a 'Realm Reborn' approach like FFXIV did, perhaps with that added portability to consoles. It could be anything. We can't know for sure until there is official info. So, we are in agreement that we should all just wait for official information.

20 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

Note that would drastically change the course of GW2. The reason to move to Unreal would be for a mobile (and console) version, which NCSoft was wanting a few years ago (but now they want GW3). It's a possibility, but the job listings back in 2018 outright stated they were making a new online RPG.

Yes that was 6 years ago. A lot can change in terms of plans and goals in that time. So again, I say let's all just sit back and wait for official information rather than exclaiming like some people here that GW2 is over or is being abandoned by ArenaNet in favor of GW3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Maybe my explanations are unlikely, maybe not. We won't know until ArenaNet gives out official information.

We won't know 100% sure, but we can be making some informed guesses.

Advocating to sit back and wait for information is not the same as sticking your head in the sand. At no point have I told anyone to 'stick their head in the sand' in any way, shape, or form. 

Oh, but that's exactly what your actions and messages amount to. You are quite intentionally ignoring all the info that we know so far. Sure, it may be incomplete, but it does exist - and yet you try to pretend as if it didn't (or like it meant nothing). If that was all, it would be fine, but you are also trying to push your stance of willing refusal to be informed on others.

The only thing I have been saying this entire time is to wait for official information and to stop acting like GW3 is currently in active development/GW2 is over.

No. You are also trying to stop people from spreading the informations that are already available, and stop thinking about them. You are also trying to prevent people from asking for clarification. As if more knowledge was considered a bad thing.

You can't make informed decisions without officially confirmed information. All the decisions you've made up to this point, whatever those decisions are, are either uninformed or misinformed. Wait for officially confirmed info to make your decisions.

You're right, it's hard to make informed decisions while having only incomplete info. Which is exactly why we should keep asking for more clarification, instead of trying to stop the spread of information we do already have. Because, while, as mentioned, it is hard to make informed decisions based on incomplete info, it becomes flat out impossible to do so when (like you advocate) you start actively ignoring the informations available.

There's a ton of signs around that are worrying, showing that something is going on in the background, and that something is already having negative impact on GW2. We may not know yet any more detained information on what's going on, but this, at least, we do know. And pretending this isn't happening until you hear an official information is not doing any good - neither for the game, nor for the players. It is nothing more than trying to stick your head in the sand.

Honestly, at this point we are very close to the level of that "This is fine" meme. there may not be fire in the room yet, but there's definitely a smoke visible. let's not try to ignore that smoke.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 5

What if just like they used the GW1 engine to create  GW1+GW2 , then UE5 can be used for GW3+GW4 ? And every 7 years  they move to the next game / engine as a marketing ploy  ? Its a simple strategie to counter future games.

And for the GW2 Gemstore items , to re-implant it in GW3 , they can let the community to vote for 3x  item each semester , for free (LoL  hereo VGU) .

It you didn't get what you wanted (or you won , but you dont like that its not exactly the same like GW2) , you get "gem currency" back in GW3 (virtual money that can spent on new items) . If you have unlocked all the options-vote (or 50-70%) , you get automatically a free/or 2 scaled  gemstore item  in GW3 , re gardles if you vote/get the item or not

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

What if just like they used the GW1 engine to create  GW1+GW2 , then UE5 can be used for GW3+GW4 ? And every 7 years  they move to the next game / engine as a marketing ploy  ? Its a simple strategie to counter future games.

Licensing engines costs money, a lot of money. Developing MMORPGs usually takes more than 5 years before they even launch (front-loaded cost and work hours which then need to be recuperated financially). I'm sure you considered these aspects in your idea....

And for the GW2 Gemstore items , to re-implant it in GW3 , they can let the community to vote for 3x  item each semester , for free (LoL  hereo VGU) .

It you didn't get what you wanted (or you won , but you dont like that its not exactly the same like GW2) , you get "gem currency" back in GW3 (virtual money that can spent on new items) . If you have unlocked all the options-vote (or 50-70%) , you get automatically a free/or 2 scaled  gemstore item  in GW3 , re gardles if you vote/get the item or not

Yes, I am sure that the studio and their parent company will be thrilled to retroactively reduce their profit, on a regular basis, generated. /s

It amazing to me how little some here seem to have ever worked or held a (corporate) job in their life.

There won't be any  "compensation". There won't be any shared assets between GW2 and anything future released (even if it's GW3). There won't be any "get some money back" mechanisms. All that stuff is great to imagine but it just won't happen because it bares any financial or real world realities.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

46 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

We won't know 100% sure, but we can be making some informed guesses.

Oh, but that's exactly what your actions and messages amount to. You are quite intentionally ignoring all the info that we know so far. Sure, it may be incomplete, but it does exist - and yet you try to pretend as if it didn't (or like it meant nothing). If that was all, it would be fine, but you are also trying to push your stance of willing refusal to be informed on others.

No. You are also trying to stop people from spreading the informations that are already available, and stop thinking about them. You are also trying to prevent people from asking for clarification. As if more knowledge was considered a bad thing.

You're right, it's hard to make informed decisions while having only incomplete info. Which is exactly why we should keep asking for more clarification, instead of trying to stop the spread of information we do already have. Because, while, as mentioned, it is hard to make informed decisions based on incomplete info, it becomes flat out impossible to do so when (like you advocate) you start actively ignoring the informations available.

There's a ton of signs around that are worrying, showing that something is going on in the background, and that something is already having negative impact on GW2. We may not know yet any more detained information on what's going on, but this, at least, we do know. And pretending this isn't happening until you hear an official information is not doing any good - neither for the game, nor for the players. It is nothing more than trying to stick your head in the sand.

Honestly, at this point we are very close to the level of that "This is fine" meme. there may not be fire in the room yet, but there's definitely a smoke visible. let's not try to ignore that smoke.

The only real info we have is that they are working on something that involves GW2 assets in Unreal Engine, and that their priority is the continued development of GW2. That's it. What other verifiable official info is there? Not a rhetorical question. This is your chance to 'spread the info' that I'm supposedly trying to prevent. There really isn't much of an 'informed guess' one can make from that other than porting GW2 over to UE with the intention of making improvements, optimizations, as well as perhaps a console port.

You're also not simply asking for more clarification, you are demanding they give info they are not ready to give out. Whatever they are working on, it's not ready. You're just being impatient and demonstrating a sense of entitlement to info you are not privy to. They'll tell us when it's ready. Could be tomorrow, or years from now.

Also, please explain what you mean by us being at the level of that stupid meme? What is this smoke you are talking about? Give examples of exactly what is going on that makes you think GW2 is about to be shut down. We're about to get another expansion and GW2 is obviously being worked on with Unreal Engine in mind. How is any of that an indication of destruction? I'm asking, because the only smoke I see is folks like you talking about how GW2 is over.

If you're going to bring up how SotO wasn't the best quality and that it somehow spells doom for the whole game, you have to remember that not everything is going to be a raging success. Even some of WoW's expansions aren't always well received, yet that game is still chugging along just fine, and GW2 will do just the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Yes, I am sure that the studio and their parent company will be thrilled to retroactively reduce their profit, on a regular basis, generated. /s

It amazing to me how little some here seem to have ever worked or held a (corporate) job in their life.

There won't be any  "compensation". There won't be any shared assets between GW2 and anything future released (even if it's GW3). There won't be any "get some money back" mechanisms. All that stuff is great to imagine but it just won't happen because it bares any financial or real world realities.

Yes...

People are currently using real money to buy something from the GW2 gemstore.

If they give gems in GW3 ,A VIRTUAL CURRENCY ,  they will gives people moneys back and lose moeny......

How i didnt think about that ...

(3 items , by vote will be re-deisgned per semester . Whoever didnt have it in GW2 , will  have t buy it in GW3 .. And in ordetr to put scarcity , the same items cannot be shown in vote for 2 years )

2 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Licensing engines costs money, a lot of money. Developing MMORPGs usually takes more than 5 years before they even launch (front-loaded cost and work hours which then need to be recuperated financially). I'm sure you considered these aspects in your idea....

Thats why i told you 7 years , that coinsice with PoF . The engine + code for GW4 will be there . 40% of the job done.

And any new game is like a new fresh car that attract customers 😛

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Yes...

People are currently using real money to buy something from the GW2 gemstore.

If they give gems in GW3 ,A VIRTUAL CURRENCY ,  they will gives people moneys back and lose moeny......

How i didnt think about that ...

Real currency which now does not need to be spent on virtual currency but not only that, it gets retroactively decided meaning now the likely most profitable items are getting refunded which just means an even bigger headache for accounting.

Okay, so you did not think about this, got it.

14 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Thats why i told you 7 years , that coinsice with PoF . The engine + code for GW3 will be there . 40% of the job done.

And any new game is like a new fresh car that attract customers 😛

So after 2 years post release, the developers start working on the next game. 

To even assume that a project the size of a MMORPG returns its investment in 2 years, let alone return it's investment AND fund the development of a follow up game.

Wow, just wow. Complete financial illiteracy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Real currency which now does not need to be spent on virtual currency but not only that, it gets retroactively decided meaning now the likely most profitable items are getting refunded which just means an even bigger headache for accounting.

Okay, so you did not think about this, got it.

Yeah , just like the accounting department  , used to get headache when people could get 400 gems with the achivements .

Or Smite(game) when they offer free gems from login ....

Why people  cannot emotionall support the guy that tries to balance all the time  the " Items you will have more than a year + what your merch+ income + assets worth ,  vs what you must pay/own to others+tax" !

Theres humans !

31 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

So after 2 years post release, the developers start working on the next game. 

To even assume that a project the size of a MMORPG returns its investment in 2 years, let alone return it's investment AND fund the development of a follow up game.

Wow, just wow. Complete financial illiteracy.

Edit: At the 5 th year of GW3 they will use leap to production of GW4 .

By using GW3 enging + code , they can easily leap more easly to GW4 in the 7-8th year

Spoiler

They can use the old veteran devs  to do the heavy lifting transision for these 2-3 years, and new people that will join the low-paid company will be used  in this "entry to games" studio and offer the ingiunty/fresh ideas to try to mess things aroungin GW3

And later leave for high paid bussness , but the biggest companies , will eventually get bloated and fire people , so they will come back after 8 years ,, bringing back their ingiunity + expiriane

So the actual game in video games  , is to "last long enought" + fed your 250 employers + dont listen whoever you havent seen in real life

Now in the 11-12year mark of GW4 till the 14-15th , there will be small paid expansions + 1 year of nothing (only living sorties) and use that time to leap to UF7 and GW5+GW6

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

The only real info we have is that they are working on something that involves GW2 assets in Unreal Engine, and that their priority is the continued development of GW2. That's it. What other verifiable official info is there? Not a rhetorical question. This is your chance to 'spread the info' that I'm supposedly trying to prevent. There really isn't much of an 'informed guess' one can make from that other than porting GW2 over to UE with the intention of making improvements, optimizations, as well as perhaps a console port.

We know that they're working on a new MMORPG for established IP (hint: not Horizon, or Throne or Liberty), on UE engine, for both PC and console. And that 2 years ago that work was already at the stage where they started looking for someone that would be responsible for planning and managing that game's release. We know that they were working on converting/importing GW2 assets into UE. We also know that NCSofts CEO mentioned to shareholders, that GW3 is already being worked on. And that, while they tried to downplay that statement later in a PR message, Anet's "clarification" was basically a "can't confirm or deny" statement.

Neither of those things seem like just a case of game engine rewrite to UE or console port.

We also know that for several years already the drain on GW2 due to "unannounced projects" was absolutely massive - the whole release cycle change (and drop in quality for SotO) was a result of them being able do less than half the work they could at their peak (ls3 into PoF timeline) while also having significantly more employees than they had then.

They are already working on something, and that works is already strangling GW2.

You're also not simply asking for more clarification, you are demanding they give info they are not ready to give out. Whatever they are working on, it's not ready. You're just being impatient and demonstrating a sense of entitlement to info you are not privy to. They'll tell us when it's ready. Could be tomorrow, or years from now.

Again, you might be fine with being kept in the dark, but i'm not. Especially when i see how the info that is being kept from me has a significant impact on this game (and its prospects for the future).

Also, please explain what you mean by us being at the level of that stupid meme? What is this smoke you are talking about? Give examples of exactly what is going on that makes you think GW2 is about to be shut down. We're about to get another expansion and GW2 is obviously being worked on with Unreal Engine in mind. How is any of that an indication of destruction? I'm asking, because the only smoke I see is folks like you talking about how GW2 is over.

Maybe not about to be shut down (although if GW3 gets released, you can bet it would get shut down - it's not the case of GW1 going into GW1. Not only in this case it would be much more costly to keep the servers running, but also it would be a direct competitor to the sequel). Still, as i have mentioned already, the negative impact of those "unannounced projects" is already slowly killing GW2. I'd say that knowing whether this resource drain is only temporary (in case the new title is not GW-related, and they plan to return to full work on GW2 when they release it), or is it going to just get worse and worse until game shuts down is actually kind of important.

And the "GW2 is obviously being worked on with Unreal Engine in mind" is just your speculation. Which, honestly, does not seem very likely considering the info we've got so far.

If you're going to bring up how SotO wasn't the best quality and that it somehow spells doom for the whole game, you have to remember that not everything is going to be a raging success. Even some of WoW's expansions aren't always well received, yet that game is still chugging along just fine, and GW2 will do just the same.

Will it? Was it just a fluke, a result of a bad day/week/month at work, or is it a consequence of the work being done by the B team working on limited resources? Because the difference between those two things is massive.And at the moment it very much looks like it's the latter case, not the former.

"Wait and see" approach is fine when we have good confidence in the future, but the current situation doesn't exactly encourage that. When prospects look grim, it's not the lack of information that is needed, but some sort of confirmation about the future, so people can see what is happening. Anet's unwillingness to provide such information not only is not helping, but is in itself a worrying sign.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

We know that they're working on a new MMORPG for established IP (hint: not Horizon, or Throne or Liberty), on UE engine, for both PC and console. And that 2 years ago that work was already at the stage where they started looking for someone that would be responsible for planning and managing that game's release. We know that they were working on converting/importing GW2 assets into UE. We also know that NCSofts CEO mentioned to shareholders, that GW3 is already being worked on. And that, while they tried to downplay that statement later in a PR message, Anet's "clarification" was basically a "can't confirm or deny" statement.

Neither of those things seem like just a case of game engine rewrite to UE or console port.

We also know that for several years already the drain on GW2 due to "unannounced projects" was absolutely massive - the whole release cycle change (and drop in quality for SotO) was a result of them being able do less than half the work they could at their peak (ls3 into PoF timeline) while also having significantly more employees than they had then.

They are already working on something, and that works is already strangling GW2.

Again, you might be fine with being kept in the dark, but i'm not. Especially when i see how the info that is being kept from me has a significant impact on this game (and its prospects for the future).

Maybe not about to be shut down (although if GW3 gets released, you can bet it would get shut down - it's not the case of GW1 going into GW1. Not only in this case it would be much more costly to keep the servers running, but also it would be a direct competitor to the sequel). Still, as i have mentioned already, the negative impact of those "unannounced projects" is already slowly killing GW2. I'd say that knowing whether this resource drain is only temporary (in case the new title is not GW-related, and they plan to return to full work on GW2 when they release it), or is it going to just get worse and worse until game shuts down is actually kind of important.

And the "GW2 is obviously being worked on with Unreal Engine in mind" is just your speculation. Which, honestly, does not seem very likely considering the info we've got so far.

Will it? Was it just a fluke, a result of a bad day/week/month at work, or is it a consequence of the work being done by the B team working on limited resources? Because the difference between those two things is massive.And at the moment it very much looks like it's the latter case, not the former.

"Wait and see" approach is fine when we have good confidence in the future, but the current situation doesn't exactly encourage that. When prospects look grim, it's not the lack of information that is needed, but some sort of confirmation about the future, so people can see what is happening. Anet's unwillingness to provide such information not only is not helping, but is in itself a worrying sign.

That job posting involving an established IP was actually for a multiplayer RPG, not an MMORPG. They're not the same thing. It makes no sense for GW3, if that's even what it is, to be an MMORPG competing directly with GW2. That right there is all you need to know to stop stressing yourself out over GW2 being shut down. It could be a stand-alone game set in the GW universe. Again, we won't know until they give out info, and they will not give out that info until it's ready.

The 'drop in quality' is because they have people working on their project; obviously it pulls resources and obviously it has an impact, as you say. Once that project is done, they'll be able to redirect resources back to GW2 to continue it's development even further, as they have said is their priority. They'll have enough people to work on both games, assuming of course it's not just a port of GW2 to UE5.

You being 'kept in the dark' about something has no relevance whatsoever on this game. You do not dictate whether other people play this game. People are going to play/not play this game regardless of what you know or think. Unless, of course, you're one of those self-proclaimed influencers with some cult following that does what you say. In which case, you need to stop.

The current situation actually encourages confidence in the future. Think back to when they acknowledged their shortcomings with SotO. That is even more encouraging. Being aware of your problems is the first step in addressing them. We have another expansion coming on a month (and it's looking interesting), and there is a huge project being worked on that has something to do with GW2. Prospects don't look grim. Now, if we were not getting JW, and there was no project, and we had nothing at all after SotO, and no word from ArenaNet that said their priority was the continued development of GW2, then I'd agree with your doom and gloom. However, nothing in the current situation spells doom and gloom. You're a conspiracy theorist making ArenaNet out to be some malicious information dealer, when in fact they're just too busy with game development to give you the time of day. Sit back, wait for official info, and let them do their work. Obviously they're working on it. Go play the game and have fun in stead of living on the forums trying to dissuade others from playing.

As you say, more info is good. However, that information is not good if it is not reliable (read: ready). We'll get info eventually. Right now they just don't have it ready in a meaningful way. I get the feeling that at some point next year, when we're about halfway through with JW, we'll get this info that you're giving yourself a heart attack over. Even if not, as long as GW2 is continuing development, that's all that matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

34 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

That job posting involving an established IP was actually for a multiplayer RPG, not an MMORPG. They're not the same thing. It makes no sense for GW3, if that's even what it is, to be an MMORPG competing directly with GW2. That right there is all you need to know to stop stressing yourself out over GW2 being shut down. It could be a stand-alone game set in the GW universe. Again, we won't know until they give out info, and they will not give out that info until it's ready.

If you go to their site right now, you can see for senior director or something like that, nice to have, knows MMORPGs (in addition to some previous mentions that are now filled)... Unless you are stating they are now working on 2 major AAA unannounced projects.

As for everything else, yeah, i don't see a reason to be alarmed about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, SloRules.3560 said:

If you go to their site right now, you can see for senior director or something like that, nice to have, knows MMORPGs (in addition to some previous mentions that are now filled)... Unless you are stating they are now working on 2 major AAA unannounced projects.

As for everything else, yeah, i don't see a reason to be alarmed about it.

Considering that the project is tied to GW2, obviously it makes sense that it would be good for someone in that position to know what MMORPGs are and how they play. It doesn't necessarily mean that the project is an MMORPG. We won't know until they say.

Even IF it turns out that GW3 actually is a thing, and it actually is an MMORPG, and GW2 is 'shut down' and GW3 turns out to just be GW2 in UE5 with a major overhaul of game systems (similar to what Blizzard did for Overwatch/Overwatch 2 but actually good), how is that a bad thing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

(damm its narrowed downed)

Can i apply for the accounting ?

Trust me bro , 1x year(total 2) in management and economics in shipping (damm oral english communication ) , is all that i need .

If it doesnt work it out , then i will move with the money to Brasil

• Confused 3

On 7/7/2024 at 6:48 PM, Zera.9435 said:

Sure i can link you. Aroon Coberly was lead character design and GW2 Art Director till 1 year ago or so. Last year Anet hired a new GW2 Art Director, while Aron still works at Arenanet and he updated his Linkedin profile saying his new duties were: guiding a team to move more than 295 GW2 assets to UE5 project, and create a experimental Python tool to export animations from Maya (GW2) to UE5 (february): 

Again this is not a GW2 remake in UE5, its easier to move animations and things to dont start from 0 in GW3 and to remake some of them and use it in the future. Theres is no point in making a GW2 remake and then give you all the skins, legendaries, expansions etc that you already have and will kill all the new player interaction. So it wont sell not even close to a potential GW3. Besides the fact that is IMPOSIBLE to literally create all the GW2 content that is right now into UE5 it will take them maybe 20 years at least paying a huge team every year with 0 income.

So you have Anet doing a unnanounced project that is a multiplayer RPG with stablished fantasy IP in UE5. You have the NCsoft CEO saying Anet is currently working in GW3. And you have experienced devs leaving GW2 for the new project aswell as moving assets from GW2 to the new project. How is it not true that GW3 is not being made right now? and that all this also explain the lazy and mediocre quality of the content being develop for GW2. Also arenanet basically didnt deny it either. 

SMITE 2 (moba) is being developed right now in UE5 and they have ported nearlly all the SMITE 1 content from UE3 to test things and remake the stuff they want into SMITE 2, which is a different new game where your not getting all your SMITE 1 stuff. So there you have an example of this.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/11/2024 at 8:52 PM, Izzy.2951 said:

Sure i can link you. Aroon Coberly was lead character design and GW2 Art Director till 1 year ago or so. Last year Anet hired a new GW2 Art Director, while Aron still works at Arenanet and he updated his Linkedin profile saying his new duties were: guiding a team to move more than 295 GW2 assets to UE5 project, and create a experimental Python tool to export animations from Maya (GW2) to UE5 (february): 

Again this is not a GW2 remake in UE5, its easier to move animations and things to dont start from 0 in GW3 and to remake some of them and use it in the future. Theres is no point in making a GW2 remake and then give you all the skins, legendaries, expansions etc that you already have and will kill all the new player interaction. So it wont sell not even close to a potential GW3. Besides the fact that is IMPOSIBLE to literally create all the GW2 content that is right now into UE5 it will take them maybe 20 years at least paying a huge team every year with 0 income.

So you have Anet doing a unnanounced project that is a multiplayer RPG with stablished fantasy IP in UE5. You have the NCsoft CEO saying Anet is currently working in GW3. And you have experienced devs leaving GW2 for the new project aswell as moving assets from GW2 to the new project. How is it not true that GW3 is not being made right now? and that all this also explain the lazy and mediocre quality of the content being develop for GW2. Also arenanet basically didnt deny it either. 

SMITE 2 (moba) is being developed right now in UE5 and they have ported nearlly all the SMITE 1 content from UE3 to test things and remake the stuff they want into SMITE 2, which is a different new game where your not getting all your SMITE 1 stuff. So there you have an example of this.

Then again, a few years ago NcSoft came in, cancelled some projects Anet were working on, and told them to cut 30% of their staff. So for all we know, these assets were from something else they were working on that they want to use now. Not saying this source is wrong but at this time there are alternative explanations and as such it's all still speculation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1