Keep World Restructuring!

17 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

your chances of making ANYTHING happen towards bringing servers back is 0.00000.

Sadly, I'm sure you're right here.

Only Anet has the burden and the honor of deciding what this game mode should be. I have often quoted those who wrote it a few years ago now, but it's time for me to write it and say it too. WVW was magical for me too. Its concept of a suqadre/server format was magical. It made me feel like I was part of a team in a great community, like no game was able to do. It was like the same experience of going to the stadium to see your favorite sports team. the one you have chosen and have learned to love over time. suffer and rejoice in epic battles. For me personally, this was the 'magical' part that made WVW absolutely one of a kind.

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Hear say is not a metric.

A few weeks ago a player was complaining about how his shard is always dead and outnumbered.

Took 1 minute of checking gw2mists to see he is full of kitten, see when his shard is active and how the shard was doing in that current matchup (I believe they were 2nd).

Want me to look up the thread?

What do you believe is more prone to error? Player subjective experience, which is likely to be affected by a few minutes of engegemant if things aren't "working out", or 24/7 api data?

It's funny, had someone say in team chat the other day that last week was so terrible. 

We where leading friday morning by a hair having traded 1st/2nd over the previous days but reds did win so we got 2nd place.

Noted that to him and the reply was like I didnt play last week anyway 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2024 at 9:25 PM, One more for the road.8950 said:

The majority will speak through activity, not forums indeed, so no poll is going to neither matter nor show what the majority means. 

I agree. The majority will speak through activity.

On 10/2/2024 at 9:25 PM, One more for the road.8950 said:

And so far there's not been any changes in activity that screams "back to the old system".

Good for you if that's the case with your teams. I observed something completely different.

Your statement doesn't refute/prove anything any more than mine. Because none of us has a representative overall overview of the activity of all players, so all personal statements are biased.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2024 at 9:04 AM, Cyninja.2954 said:

2. improve server/shard balance with the goal to improve the experience, ultimately leading to an improved WvW experience overall (overall, not for every individual)

(...)

How would the developers know that 2 is better, neutral or worse? On one hand you have complaints in the forums, something which is to be treated with a grain of salt but definitely  to keep in mind. Meanwhile in game the activity numbers are a lot higher/higher/the same/worse/a lot worse (and mind you, the new system can deal with ANY of those scenarios while the old one could not).

If the goal is "improve the experience" the first thing before implementing this woud be to define "what exactely does this mean and how can we improve and measure it".

Does "improve the experience" equals "more instant activity"? Not really. Of course, deterioration in the game leads to player churn, but only with a delay and by the time you measure it, it is almost too late.

And if you have complex goals that aren't easy to measure, you do a representative customer survey and try to include those who have already left.

But of course these are all theoretical considerations. We don't know the whole picture and all the goals that Anet really pursued internally with WR.

2 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

I agree. The majority will speak through activity.

Good for you if that's the case with your teams. I observed something completely different.

Your statement doesn't refute/prove anything any more than mine. Because none of us has a representative overall overview of the activity of all players, so all personal statements are biased.

I am not talking about "my teams".

I am talking about the activity that we can see just through pulling API. So it's not "my" observation, it's just data.

• Confused 1

World restructuring/alliances was a massively positive change. Sure, you won't win every match, but wvw is still a pvp game mode. If you or anyone is winning every single match week after week for ever and ever, something is clearly not working properly. Any pvp game or game mode that's decently balanced is going to be a you-win-some-you-lose-some kind of deal. 

On 10/6/2024 at 9:29 AM, Mabi black.1824 said:

My very personal feeling for 4 months now is that of participating in a ''useless'' team game because no one is interested in keeping a team reference for only 4 weeks.

It has always been useless. The server community nonsense has always been a stale meme. The reality is that people on the same world prior to restructuring simply blame each other for whenever things don't go well, leading to drama and guild exoduses.

On 10/6/2024 at 9:53 AM, Mabi black.1824 said:

Players like me are the ones who have always played in reference to the server/team. single account. Winning or losing has never mattered.

Winning or losing not mattering to the majority of people is part of what led it to becoming the insufferable experience that it was. 

2 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Does "improve the experience" equals "more instant activity"? Not really. Of course, deterioration in the game leads to player churn, but only with a delay and by the time you measure it, it is almost too late.

Changes in player activity are a good way to measure whether players like the change without trying to get them to open a browser and vote in a poll. If they didn't like it, they would stop and using API systems like this overcomes the limitations of reported experiences, as people individually playing it less without making a forum post or a comment on reddit about it still factor into the numbers. Especially if you go by a metric like kills, because now you're ruling out people who are just running dolyaks or capping camps, it's the best measurement for player enjoyment that will ever exist. 

And more importantly, no, in this case any change is immediately measurable, not with a delay. If there is a change from one day to the next, you will notice within the day after. 

9 minutes ago, GeraldBC.4927 said:

World restructuring/alliances was a massively positive change. Sure, you won't win every match

In fact, should the match making ever be perfectly balanced everyone will loose 2/3 of the matches 😀

Edited by Dayra.7405