Damage Numbers Obstruct View

With all the talk about the skill effects that obstruct the view (cant see raid boss effects because of 101 skills), I found another culprit! The Damage Numbers!

Often when the monster isnt large the damage output numbers can hide the monster at all and hide all the attacks the moster is going to make. As seen in the screenshots attached to the topic. Also when the monster hitbox is really big I often cant see the numbers at all because they are somewhere up in the skies. (In raids or World Bosses I have to look up the screen to find out what my numbers are).

So overall the issues I am talking about are

• damage numbers overlapping the monsters
  • damage numbers somewhere in the sky when monsters are large
  • condition damage numbers are so small I dont even know what my overall dps is

Images link : https://imgur.com/a/tqRQ8

@"MaJoBooOM.4851" said:With all the talk about the skill effects that obstruct the view (cant see raid boss effects because of 101 skills), I found another culprit! The Damage Numbers!

Often when the monster isnt large the damage output numbers can hide the monster at all and hide all the attacks the moster is going to make. As seen in the screenshots attached to the topic. Also when the monster hitbox is really big I often cant see the numbers at all because they are somewhere up in the skies. (In raids or World Bosses I have to look up the screen to find out what my numbers are).

Images link : https://imgur.com/a/tqRQ8

And? That's not bad. I would say this is an RPG/MMO staple to at least see your damage, but I don't know if there's any out there that don't at least show the number/damage you do.

The best thing I was happy on with this game is I can only see my own damage. As other games I'm stuck seeing monsters and bosses looking like this:tTbmc09.jpg

So I was glad I got to see the creatures I was fighting.......but then sometime around PoF and such....FuHwa1L.jpg

I more complain on visual effects as... yeah this is getting out of hand. For damaging numbers that's like child's play to some of the other brahamskritt that blocks my view.

@"Sephylon.4938" said:the numbers in those images are barely noticeable

This is what I'd consider number spam. And this is just 1 person mind you.

dont understand me falsely, I really like the dame output numbers, but I dont like the position of them.Like I said before :

• sometimes the overlap the enemy model, or the are so high up that you dont see them at all (even if you zoom 100% out, and yes I do dmg haha)
  • the condi damage numbers are often barely visible

The only time I could see you having a problem with them not appearing on the screen is if you're a melee character...but then I never remember seeing them no matter which character I was playing, they always displayed in the middle of the screen, which doesn't bother me, neither does the visual clutter as all I need to know is if I'm locked on the target and doing damage...the rest I don't give a kitten about.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@"MaJoBooOM.4851" said:With all the talk about the skill effects that obstruct the view (cant see raid boss effects because of 101 skills), I found another culprit! The Damage Numbers!

Images link :

And? That's not bad. I would say this is an RPG/MMO staple to at least see your damage, but I don't know if there's any out there that don't at least show the number/damage you do.

The best thing I was happy on with this game is I can only see my own damage. As other games I'm stuck seeing monsters and bosses looking like this:
tTbmc09.jpg

So I was glad I got to see the creatures I was fighting.......but then sometime around PoF and such....
FuHwa1L.jpg

I more complain on visual effects as... yeah this is getting out of hand. For damaging numbers that's like child's play to some of the other brahamskritt that blocks my view.not sure what your video card is but that looks good to me given the problems with video card support for this game. have you tried to play the game on low settings ????

doing so will improve your frame rates and you can see what is going on !! :p

@Gabbynot.2654 said:

Images link :

The best thing I was happy on with this game is I can only see my own damage. As other games I'm stuck seeing monsters and bosses looking like this:
tTbmc09.jpg

So I was glad I got to see the creatures I was fighting.......but then sometime around PoF and such....
FuHwa1L.jpg

I more complain on visual effects as... yeah this is getting out of hand. For damaging numbers that's like child's play to some of the other brahamskritt that blocks my view.not sure what your video card is but that looks good to me given the problems with video card support for this game. have you tried to play the game on low settings ????

My FPS during that mess is usually 50 or so. I'm playing on max settings, and if you're telling me the only way I can see what's going on is to literally play on a worse setting than my computer can run on because of the horrid mess that Arenanet started to add mean that they really need to cut down on these stupid effects.I barely notice any slowness in animations or movement during big things like this except for certain occasions, but I rather be able to see the enemy.I can see the Svanir during Maw, can see all of those bosses during Dragon's Stand, I can see pretty much every one up until the beginning content of POF just fine meaning that Arenanet needs to stop all that flashiness.

At least the game in the first image while it's usually a huge mess like that with numbers and blasts and whichever else, I've never missed a tell with some of the more threatening enemies because those enemies are as big as I would say Mordremoth or even bigger. When the enemies/bosses are near people size like many of the PoF event bosses and bounties that has this crap going on and I have no clue what I'm hitting other than "sometimes hit 1 and then start wailing my CC when I see a green bar under their name and then use all my heavy attacks when the bar goes empty into brown oil refill mode."

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

Images link :

tTbmc09.jpg

FuHwa1L.jpg

My FPS during that mess is usually 50 or so. I'm playing on max settings, and if you're telling me the only way I can see what's going on is to literally play on a worse setting than my computer can run on because of the horrid mess that Arenanet started to add mean that they really need to cut down on these stupid effects.I barely notice any slowness in animations or movement during big things like this except for certain occasions, but I rather be able to see the enemy.I can see the Svanir during Maw, can see all of those bosses during Dragon's Stand, I can see pretty much every one up until the beginning content of POF just fine meaning that Arenanet needs to stop all that flashiness.At least the game in the first image while it's usually a huge mess like that with numbers and blasts and whichever else, I've never missed a tell with some of the more threatening enemies because those enemies are as big as I would say Mordremoth or even bigger. When the enemies/bosses are near people size like many of the PoF event bosses and bounties that has this crap going on and I have no clue what I'm hitting other than "sometimes hit 1 and then start wailing my CC when I see a green bar under their name and then use all my heavy attacks when the bar goes empty into brown oil refill mode."

that is why you are having so much problems seen and its your own fault!!! playing on max settings never good in this game at all!!

back when anet got stupid and cut the graphic on ele fire balls and such . people got so kittened over it they left the game the forums got really kittened hot over it too.so anet will never do this again unless they want to kill the game and drive away the player base that is left after the last 5 yrs of anets mistakes ;) :3 :p

so yup your out of luck if you think anet is going to cut it down just for a few of you . now they might add a setting so you can cut it down but yet not bother the other players in the game at all . much like they have done with some sounds and so forth .

• 3 years later...

I didnt had this problem in the past....but lately i cant see the animation of the enemie because i attack them and the numbers r completly covering the monster. So i cant evade attacks perfectly :<

Anyone knows if there is a way to make the nr smaller or even remove them? (i mean i can see the DMG also on the health bar)

I'd like to be able to turn off the damage numbers, not so much because they're in the way but because I never pay attention to them. I've got other things to think about during combat and I'm not concerned about exactly how much damage each hit is doing so it's irrelevant information to me and being able to remove it would cut down slightly on the visual clutter. Over the years I've gotten used to just not noticing them, but the option to turn them off completely would still be an improvement.

When Anet added the option to hide parts of the UI in/out of combat I was hoping they'd take it further (including breaking down some of the categories we currently have so I can hide the bits I don't want and keep the bits I do) but so far nothing else has been done with it.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:And? That's not bad. I would say this is an RPG/MMO staple to at least see your damage, but I don't know if there's any out there that don't at least show the number/damage you do.

Elder Scrolls online has the option to turn them off, and I think they're off by default. One of the things that game does well is let players customise what they do and don't want to see in the UI, even without resorting to addons. (Although there are some weird anomalies, like not being able to hide the compass.)