Engi not wanted in WvW, what to play?

sticx.5823

@sticx.5823 said:

@Mysteriax.6049 said:How about firebrand? You're already familiar with kit-swapping. The tomes work in a similar fashion, and you can run a condi build like engineers are used to.

Can't explain why, I just don't like the firebrand. I think it's the slow lumbering nature of it, I played a pretty quick and agile engi back in the day. Tempted to just say screw it, and play my Engi, and either just not do WvW or try it solo (which probably won't go well)

Just get back up again.

Only way to get better.

Then one day you'll be staking everyone you run across and laugh at how many faceplants it took to get there.

@Rezzet.3614 said:Thanks to rocket boots holosmith is an excellent roamer, but engi still useless for big fights wich is why i made a back up hammer rev, it is so satisfying dunking 8-12k aoe ranged bursts seeing crowds drop and players add to the pile when they try rezzing

I don't know, I'd say holosmith could be okay for zergs if people played it properly, but the problem with this game is the WvW playerbase is so bad it can not normally even perform what should be relatively simple tactics and the very nature of zerging in WvW attracts players who want mindless gameplay and for others to take responsibility (the com).

But anyway the thing holosmith should be good at in zergs is having a small group of them stealth each other with elixir s toss then stealth bomb the back or side of the enemy blob, not only do they put out pretty good AOE damage they also have AOE cc with holo 5 / their elite, so they'd down some, CC others, have some players trying to kill them , etc and if the com was on-the-ball those downed/CC'd/generally disrupted players at the moment would make a potential push easier.

But as I say even that level of organisation is normally beyond blobbers in WvW.

The main issue in wvw is too many are too afraid to get their pixels hurt- just watch any reasonable size fight (non-gvg) and some won't even land a skill, scourges will be so far off the battle I'd be amazed if they even did damage to anything, but as soon as it even looks like the battle isn't an instant win, they are turning and running away as if their own RL depended on it. At which point they have just ensured a painful (lol) death for the rest of us.

Play what you want, what you feel can make a contribution and something you are comfortable with- which will contribute a lot more than those seen running away at the first sign of trouble.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@sticx.5823 said:Thank you for all of the feedback guys. I actually decided to just stick out the engi, it was my first love, and I'll see it through!

On a up side, I also convinced my wife to play the game! Unfortunately she picked a mesmer, and I haven't the foggiest clue what they do, or their role in WvW anymore. So i can't help her much, but we'll relearn together =)If you want to 2-man that in WvW, be sure to build you're engie incredibly tough with all the evades. Mesmer + anything other than heavy sustain, thief or another mesmer is a horrid combo as any enemy group will focus the second player while the mesmer cant help him/her/it.

I roam as a glass holosmith with a mesmer guildie. I don't need/want tanky gear on my holo as it'd severely undercut my damage. Traited rocket boots and the stealth and invulnerability from elixir s keep enemies from successfully focusing me whenever they're having trouble keeping track of the mesmer. Rifle (staying at range when needed) in addition to all the cc available to a holosmith also help limit the damage enemies output.

Engie doesnt really have a place atm, not a lot of group utility. Engies used to be the kings of fields and blasts but as fields and blasts have fallen by the wayside as far as WvW is concerned Engies usefulness in larger groups is questionable. Groups no longer look to re-position and blast water fields, they jut recruit a full minstrel healbot Ele or FB.

the top tier roaming builds like condi mirage will wreck you in 1v1's. Engie has always had trouble dealing with sustained condis. You can always try and outrun them i guess with rocket boots. The old elixir bombs got nerfed so even support is trash(medic kit lol).

If you dont mind dieing a lot just to see big numbers you can always go glassy holo.

@sticx.5823 said:Thank you for all of the feedback guys. I actually decided to just stick out the engi, it was my first love, and I'll see it through!

On a up side, I also convinced my wife to play the game! Unfortunately she picked a mesmer, and I haven't the foggiest clue what they do, or their role in WvW anymore. So i can't help her much, but we'll relearn together =)

Mesmer is hard to learn, and is a bit squishy, so you need to make sure she does not die too often at the start, otherwise she'll be discouraged. Maybe do some PvE to have her understand the class first? It's quite fun to play once you have a grasp of it.

In experts hands, mesmer is one of the royal class in WvW. In roaming, power mesmer/mirage does well enough, with a fine ability to kite, survive and burst opponents, but it's high risk high reward. Condi mesmer/mirage is still one of the easiest spec to play (although admittedly more difficult than in the past), it can kill inexperienced-to-experienced players pretty fast, so medium risk high reward (but shall attract a bit of hate as a consequence). In zerg or small roaming groups, boonshare chronos are simply invaluable, and always very welcome.

@Elegie.3620 said:

@"sticx.5823" said:Thank you for all of the feedback guys. I actually decided to just stick out the engi, it was my first love, and I'll see it through!

On a up side, I also convinced my wife to play the game! Unfortunately she picked a mesmer, and I haven't the foggiest clue what they do, or their role in WvW anymore. So i can't help her much, but we'll relearn together =)

Mesmer is hard to learn, and is a bit squishy, so you need to make sure she does not die too often at the start, otherwise she'll be discouraged. Maybe do some PvE to have her understand the class first? It's quite fun to play once you have a grasp of it.

In experts hands, mesmer is one of the royal class in WvW. In roaming, power mesmer/mirage does well enough, with a fine ability to kite, survive and burst opponents, but it's high risk high reward. Condi mesmer/mirage is still one of the easiest spec to play (although admittedly more difficult than in the past), it can kill inexperienced-to-experienced players pretty fast, so medium risk high reward (but shall attract a bit of hate as a consequence). In zerg or small roaming groups, boonshare chronos are simply invaluable, and always very welcome.

Nothing in this game is hard to learn and as for mesmer, it is low risk, high reward (mirage especially) for roaming in WvW, which is exactly why you see so many and why you see for example so few revs, a class that is actually high risk, high reward when it comes to roaming, because when you screw up on your rev or get outplayed or three guys come round the corner, etc, then for the most part the rev has to take the consequences of that, where as mirage, for the most part you can simply disengage and therefore are often not punished for your mistakes / being outplayed. (then add how strong mirage is in most 1v1 matchups on top of that)

Mirage is a fine example of why roaming in WvW is in the state it is (life support & "roaming" consists of duels / ganking players in zerg builds), it breaks a basic fundamental of PvP which is risk vs reward, it is the new d/P thief., and the new ez-mode option.

@"sticx.5823" said:Just returning to the game, and from what I've been told my old Main (Engi) isn't wanted for groups in WvW anymore. So I'm trying to decide which of my other chars to gear out so I can join in the fun. My understanding is that the current Meta is Firebrand, Scourge, Rev, backline Ele, & Spellbreaker. Is there any other class/spec that I might consider?

Never been a big fan of Guard, Necro, or Rev. So if those, above, are my only choices, I guess I have to chose between Ele or War. Or just not play WvW. :( Just wondering if I have the full understanding of things as they currently are.

You are missing one important factor... You paid for the game... play it how you want. If you like engie, then go for it man. Never let anyone tell you how to play your game. Engie is still great in wvw.. especially the new holosmith. They have a ton of CC, do great damage and can be a real benefit to the team IMHO. They can do good 1v1 and they have sneak gyro to get people out of tight situations.

About the "Meta" The meta is designed mainly by players from JQ/BG and Mag and the specs they post are usually no longer the specs they use... no one really gives there secrets away you know. If you really want to play a class well.. look at your skills... find a set that works for you and play it how you want to play it.

The thing to remember is have fun with it... if your not having fun.. then and only then is it time to change classes.... but never let anyone force you out of what you want to play. When you bow to everyone else.. you are never going to enjoy what you are doing.

@sticx.5823 said:Just returning to the game, and from what I've been told my old Main (Engi) isn't wanted for groups in WvW anymore. So I'm trying to decide which of my other chars to gear out so I can join in the fun. My understanding is that the current Meta is Firebrand, Scourge, Rev, backline Ele, & Spellbreaker. Is there any other class/spec that I might consider?

Never been a big fan of Guard, Necro, or Rev. So if those, above, are my only choices, I guess I have to chose between Ele or War. Or just not play WvW. :( Just wondering if I have the full understanding of things as they currently are.

Agree with the above post: -trueanimus.4085

I would also say ---stick with the Engineer. Play what class feels right to you. In time, you can make it great.I'm also a returning playing ,and the Hollosmith to me has made Engineer stronger than before in many ways. You can still play Engineer similar to what you played way back when. Then add the Hollosmith rotation into the mix. Playing Hollosmith allows you to have big aoe-CC and good burst. The damage is great with self might buff and if play your card right, you should be able to fight any class 1v1 fairly easy.

within WvW. you can fight in zerg and also do well in smaller group fight. at least for me...and i'm no pro.

***If for some reason you haven't figure out the new engineer play style by now. i'm more than happy to go over some build and stuff in game with you. feel free to add/IM me.We maybe on a different server. but that should not be an issue.

@sticx.5823 said:Just returning to the game, and from what I've been told my old Main (Engi) isn't wanted for groups in WvW anymore. So I'm trying to decide which of my other chars to gear out so I can join in the fun. My understanding is that the current Meta is Firebrand, Scourge, Rev, backline Ele, & Spellbreaker. Is there any other class/spec that I might consider?

Just find a small havoc group that will let you run engi. Holos are deadly in small group roaming and scrappers / condi engies hurt like hell.

Screw it and just roam.

The people that create these so called Meta builds and insist on people using them ,as far as I'm concerned, are all elitist self centered dicks. You play what makes you happy and what you have fun with.Anyone that says other wise can get bent.There are many guilds that don't care what you play as long as your having fun doing it.Remember this is a game not your job.Anyone that treats this game as an occupation need to pull the post out of there back sides and lighten up.

@sticx.5823 said:

@Mysteriax.6049 said:How about firebrand? You're already familiar with kit-swapping. The tomes work in a similar fashion, and you can run a condi build like engineers are used to.

Can't explain why, I just don't like the firebrand. I think it's the slow lumbering nature of it, I played a pretty quick and agile engi back in the day. Tempted to just say screw it, and play my Engi, and either just not do WvW or try it solo (which probably won't go well)

I also don't like Firebrand, and have semi-retired my Guardian (which also happens to be my main character) from WvW, until core or DH become viable frontline classes again.

@Mokk.2397 said:The people that create these so called Meta builds and insist on people using them ,as far as I'm concerned, are all elitist self centered kitten.

that's a very dull argument coming from someone who seemingly doesn't understand nor value the importance of synergy in a composition. The only one to blame for META is the company behind the game who constantly set new standards that we as players have to keep up with, or in other words, always find new ways to break their game and make it painful for us for our money.

META means tested & proven. It's what most commonly works and brings value to a squad, which vanilla engies frankly do not, at any level. Holosmiths can bring value as mentioned because they have massive CC, can outdamage any class and can share boons.

Point being, bring any class, but make sure to equip utilities and traits that empower your buddies and that can be done with any class. Find out what's your class best at, how it can benefit a squad and then it will be welcomed in a team as TEAM stands for Together Everyone Achieves More.

For roaming take whatever. If you know your class you don't need to use META all the more reasons to surprise your opponent who already thought he'd won because he knows your META.

@"DanAlcedo.3281" said:When you say "anymore" i cant remember a time where Ingi was played in WvW.

Did you miss the grenadine set up codi builds the nades did great dmg and set tons of conditions on the enemy you are condi food and your sets gave condi dmg and duration was super effective till they nerfed the range of the grenades

stick with engi. holosmith. I have run into some pretty good engi roamers, especially those who par themselves with thief/Mesmer/guard. These are hard groups to deal with. Plus, they have a have some good mobility and a get out a jail free card with shrink and rocket boots and lots of stab, especially against less mobile opponents.

If you're joining a serious WvW guild or raid, there's not much to offer as an Engi so they wouldn't want you. For a pug raid group, I never had problems joining groups as an Engi. I don't belong to any WvW zerging guild so I've just been joining pug zergs and open raid guild groups. Been playing as Core Engi/FT Scrapper for a while now when zerging (solely just for funzies) and I'm lucky enough that the commanders/guilds aren't really picky . The only time I've been called out was on Discord with the commander saying out loud in the middle of a fight "Where's our Flamethrower Engi? BURN THEM BRO!".

There's no real argument that Engis don't offer much to a serious zerg, it's a fact. But then again, there are groups and commanders who just wanna have some fun. Maybe you should look for another zerg/commander or even move to another server if they keep kicking you out.

Otherwise, you can just go and roam alone or with a small group.

So i have been studying the engineer via youtube and forums and decided to raise a level 80 (I tried in the past but deleted after frustration). I did a lot of manual leveling to get used to some of the functions. I got to 80 and copied a couple different builds with marauder gear and ran about 3 to 4 hours in a pug group mostly at home BL. I was not very effective in helping. Sure I popped photon a few times but other than that the rifle is ping ping ping like a pellet gun. Most effective as roamer from what I can tell. Some elixirs for group yeah but other than that I didn't have much fun rezzing to WP. lol.

I am gonna keep at it because it is fun to play when you get the hang of it but I have a feeling I will use for roaming and scouting.

It's not like they are really NOT WANTED, but the truth is that is kinda hard to accommodate them on a group inside a squad since there aren't any specific builds for them that fit the current meta. You can always talk to the commander and ask for a position like a dps one placing yourself on a necro slot as an engineer (you will need to be a bit sturdier than your average pve engi though as we all know inWvW).There are also scout positions which are amazing for survival oriented scrappers.A healer engineer? Not really good, but hey! It's better than having no damn healer at all, they can't argue with that.It really depends on your communication rather than your profession. (And the commander not being a dimwit but that's a different topic... I'm looking at you xxXxXxXxx server :3)

Archived