Idea on how to Upgrade Fashion wars.

STIHL.2489

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"Leo G.4501" said:Why environments? Who's to say someone doesn't want to just have multiple looks for one "environment"? Or what if they want multiple looks for a different reason than environment? And how many environments are there even?

There's no need to complicate things by dividing maps by environments and making auto-swap armor set-ups and whatnot. Just make "costume slots", make it so you swap with a press of the button. Tada! Now you have multiple looks for multiple purposes, including environment, that doesn't require complex automatic clothes changing golems to magically pull your clothes off and put something else on you.

You gotta think several steps ahead with ideas like this. I'm sure other people thought of this idea before but other reasons than environment friendly costumes so instead of shoehorning each idea separately, make the idea more universal, simpler and controllable.

So your idea is a single button to swap outfits, which sounds exactly like the Outfit Panel, that already exists that allows you swap your outfits with a single button press.

Thanks, but if I wanted to do things manually every time I zoned, or just randomly, that feature is already there.

The outfit/wardrobe panel only works with 1 outfit + 1 armorset (that is, you can swap between 1 outfit look and 1 armor look). The idea would be multiple outfits/armorsets that you can swap to with a button press. And no, you can't currently swap outfits with a button press unless you only ever bother with 1 color scheme. So no, it doesn't already exist via the outfit panel.

The reason I critique your idea is because, while on the surface it could be "neat", it's just bad. It's complicated, it requires flagging zones/parts of zones for environment tags, if there were more avenues to break immersion, this would be another. I could go on. Rather than backing a bad idea, you could simplify the idea to make it better and more universal in its utility, which is what I did.

And if you can't be kittened with manually changing your looks, how do you ever get by now? You must be able to manage without bringing along an automated golem to redo your armor and dyes. If you can manage without the automated golem, I'm sure you could manage with a series of quicksave costume slots.

@STIHL.2489 said:In the end, you would still end up setting them to trigger by environment or zone, so it's better to build from that angle to start with.

This is untrue. I'm sure plenty of players would change their costume depending on their build or weapon use or the feelings of their character, etc. If you do a costume slot set-up right, a creative person can do a lot of things with their characters.

Like, in city of heroes, you had around 4 costume slots to start and you could obtain several more and because the freedom of their character customization system, you could use any body type for any costume slot. There were some players who used a small girl/boy as one of their costumes and another being a large hulking robot to simulate a person jumping into a robot suit.

I'm sure someone in here can come up with some interesting uses for costume slots in GW2.

@witcher.3197 said:Cool idea, but not worth the dev effort. Probably less than 1% of the population would use this and get bored of it in a week.

You'd be surprised.Even hardcore PVErs and even PvPers fashion war.

Who the hell wants to look like a walking aura pianta, and even worse mismatch into high hell and back. I'm sorry, but there are A LOT of people that will simply trash you because, to them, you wouldn't understand the basic concept of looking nice.

@Lilyanna.9361 said:

@witcher.3197 said:Cool idea, but not worth the dev effort. Probably less than 1% of the population would use this and get bored of it in a week.

Who the hell wants to look like a walking aura pianta, and even worse mismatch into high hell and back. I'm sorry, but there are A LOT of people that will simply trash you because, to them, you wouldn't understand the basic concept of looking nice.

Oh please, get real for a moment.

Anet couldn't deliver build templates in 5+ years but will suddenly hear your plea and not just create an appearence template, but also goes back and retroactively flags every corner of every map ever made to then automatically switch over your gear when you travel? And how would that even work? Bill you transmutation charges for every change or you'll just carry 100+ gear pieces in your bag for cosmetic reasons alone? And i assume all of that would be legendary gear with stat swapping because otherwise the game may swap your gear to a stat that doesn't match your build.

@witcher.3197 said:

Wake up from your dream world.

Anet couldn't deliver build templates in 5+ years but will suddenly hear your plea and not just create an appearence template, but also goes back and retroactively flags every corner of every map ever made to them automatically switch over your gear when you travel? And how would that even work? Bill you transmutation charges for every change or you'll just carry 100+ gear pieces in your bag for cosmetic reasons alone? And i assume all of that would be legendary gear with stat swapping because otherwise the game may swip your build to a stat that doesn't match.

Slow down there toots.Much aggression.

I am hardly in a 'dream world' whatever you are trying to imply there. Could care less honestly.

I, personally, was saying treat like they do in SWTOR. Three panels, you take the skin of the armor skin you want, call it a day. Basically have the wardrobe part but x3. And Anet could still make gems off of it if people wanted more armor slots. You don't have to keep flipping through different armor and stats, just use the skins you currently have. The person above me was making it more complex, not me. The flagging crap is making things more complicated.

Christ.

@Leo G.4501 said:And if you can't be kittened with manually changing your looks, how do you ever get by now?

I don't That's the thing, I have 1 look for everywhere I go, which is why this idea would be better then when we have. It would allow me to set looks and have then auto-apply, as opposed to me needing to go into my hero panel, and change my outfit when I zoned. It's laughable to think people would actually want to manually change their look constantly as they zoned or moved about, imagine trying to run a world boss chain, and needing to hit up your hero panel every you WP'ed to a new boss. That would get old fast, and if that is your thing, they already have outfits, so your proposal is not adding anything to the game.

An automated swap that can be pre-set, would be far superior then any manual solution.

Also, Anet has already set up the zones based on environments, that is how it knows if you are mining or in Kryta or Maguuma. So I am working with an existing system, which is how new ideas should run, working with what we have.

@witcher.3197 said:

Anet couldn't deliver build templates in 5+ years but will suddenly hear your plea and not just create an appearence template, but also goes back and retroactively flags every corner of every map ever made to then automatically switch over your gear when you travel?

They have already flagged the maps, that is how they can set things like Magumma Forager for your daily, I am using their existing sorting system, which is why I set it up this way to stat with, for ease of implementation.

@"Swagg.9236" said:Just implement the Wildstar "Holowardrobe" mechanic. It's a lot better than any system that GW2 has used (just keep dyes changes free). GW2 has already stolen loads of content from Wildstar; why not the fashion flexibility?

Unlike those ideas, my idea also allows you to

• Swap your actual Equipment (if you want)
  • Chose between Using your Gear OR an Outfit for appearances.
  • Change your Dyes for both your Gear and Outfit for easy future changes.
  • Swap your Mount Skin and Dyes for your mount.
  • Swap you Glider and Dyes for your Glider
  • Swap your Mini
  • Swap your Mail Carrier.

So as you can see, it's a far more involved system then simply a costume swap.

@STIHL.2489 said:

Anet couldn't deliver build templates in 5+ years but will suddenly hear your plea and not just create an appearence template, but also goes back and retroactively flags every corner of every map ever made to then automatically switch over your gear when you travel?

They have already flagged the maps, that is how they can set things like
Magumma Forager
for your daily, I am using their existing sorting system, which is why I set it up this way to stat with, for ease of implementation.

That is by region, not environment.

@Lilyanna.9361 said:

@"witcher.3197" said:Cool idea, but not worth the dev effort. Probably less than 1% of the population would use this and get bored of it in a week.

This is soo true, I mean think about how many 'hard core" players farm legendary weapons, which are mainly just for the looks. There is no shortage of players that would love to be able to do more with their collection of cosmetics they have acclimated from their game time, and this idea would allow them to use more of what they have.

I have an idea that might be used as both this and build templates:

The idea would be pretty much to use "Mannequins" in the Home instance. It's not really Original, i remembered this because it was how you'd change gear in a game i've played before playing GW2 (Runes of Magic). My suggestion is of course adapted to GW2, since in RoM it was basically just a storage device.You'd give each player 1-2 Mannequin BASES/slots on their home instance. Further bases/slots could be sold on the Gemstore (basically they'd be objects similar to Nodes and chests in the home instance).Basic Mannequins (totally featureless, pretty much just a T shape made out of planks) would be sold with Karma on a NPC inside the Home instance (~10k Karma).This one would give players the basic features of the build template.Interacting with he Mannequin would open an interface similar to the PvP build window, but more complete in terms of equipment slots, and with a skill bar at the bottom of the Specializations tab.The window would also have 3 pages per Mannequin (PVE, PVP and WVW), allowing a different build to be saved per game type on each mannequin. And a name-tab for each Mannequin.SO basically so far you have a "storage container" that allows players to save a full-build worth of equipment, and a save-state for skills and traits (i don't think it strays too far from the pre-made builds in PvP).On the Hero Panel you'd have a drop-down menu where you can pick a build from the Mannequins in your home instance (also you would name your current build on the Hero Panel).Picking a build would simply swap the items on the mannequin with the items on the Equipment Panel, as well as the traits and skills.Except for a few holes (i'll point them out below, and you'll probably find a few) this should take care of the build template aspect.

Now there's the cosmetic and social aspect of these.As for the social aspect you can ask the Home NPC to "Make a portrait" of one of your mannequins (can cost like 50-100 karma). This would give you a tradeable item, that you can give/sell to other players.You can preview the item to see a summary of the stats/traits/skills, or you can talk to the home NPC to ask him to decorate one of your mannequins based on the portrait. This could either just load onto the mannequin whichever parts the player has available (with the option to spend Transmutation charges to also change the looks) and/or create kind of a "quest" that would require the player to obtain and deliver the remaining items to the NPC to complete the build.

For the cosmetic part, and this is where you get the scribe working.The base mannequin would only show a standardized light/medium/heavy armor.After that you could have scribes build blueprints for other more intricate mannequins. You'd deliver blueprints to the NPC and he'd turn your base mannequins into the ones on the blueprint.Some suggestions:Plain ones, like the mannequins used by artists with the option of male vs female one. These would show the correct armour skins (except racial armour - these parts would show as the generic one used by base mannequins).Racial ones (these could be sold for like 100k karma on the racial vendors in towns). These would be wooden statues that look like elements of each race (again male and female ones). Allowing to equip and show racial armour skins.Special materials, why stick with wood when your mannequin can be made of gold, or stone, or be gem-inscrusted. Pretty much an upgrade of the previous ones. You'd require a plain or a racial blueprint to craft the upgraded version."Kinda looks like me" mannequins, Would require a racial mannequin of the correct race (or a special materials one of the correct race) , a total make over kit, and whatever else you'd think correctly. This would result, after being added to the home instance in a statue of the player character who owns the home instance, made from the material of the blueprint used for the recipe."Stuffed clone", add another total make over kit to the "kinda looks like me" and a couple other weird ingredients.... And you'd have a life-like version of your character (maybe with some idle animations??)And finally "the ultimate mannequin" This one would be the same recipe as the "stuffed clone" but would use a Permanent Self-Style Hair Kit, and would allow the player to change their looks along with the build. Due to the rarity of the item, i think it's fair that making this mannequin should allow the player to use this one on all available slots.

You could also sell some special mannequins on the gemstore, like "Equestrian" mannequins, using the available mounts. Just don't be too greedy with the prices, yes? I guess you could do 2000 gems for the mount+mini+mannequin!?

That would be the gist of it, but there are a few issues... Not quite sure how to handle account bound items and legendaries. I mean each mannequin should be "bound" to the character...Maybe a tick option on the ascended and legendary with "make available to other characters"? Kinda like the show/hide helmet, gloves, etc.

You could use this not only for the build templates but to save different looks and change between them as you want.

@Leo G.4501 said:

Magumma Forager
for your daily, I am using their existing sorting system, which is why I set it up this way to stat with, for ease of implementation.

I gave you a full starting list and you still managed to confuse yourself on how things would be sorted?

@STIHL.2489 said:

Magumma Forager

I gave you a full starting list and you still managed to confuse yourself on how things would be sorted?

You are the one who confuses region with terrain. Your goal is, for example, to have a winter themed outfit in the shiverpeaks, right? But there are several shierpeaks maps that have huge lush green areas, or even a volcano.

@witcher.3197 said:

Magumma Forager

You are the one who confuses region with terrain. Your goal is, for example, to have a winter themed outfit in the shiverpeaks, right? But there are several shierpeaks maps that have huge lush green areas, or even a volcano.

And Desert Highlands has blazing deserts, wooded mountains, freezing mountains and branded ruins.

My main criticism of the idea is the sheer lack of scope. The idea pretty much narrows down to 1 costume for when it's cold, 1 for when its hot, 1 for in the middle and that's really it. We don't have raincoat armor, or hazmat armor or beach party armor, or any other unique things that may warrant a system of auto-costume swapping so what is the point? Just give me the power to swap between 3-4 looks when I want without needing to swap gear/outfits and set dyes.

And costume templates could also include mount skins, minis and weapon skins.

Gear swapping is a whole other beast that should be tackled seperately. That feature would have its own variety of necessary notches to reach...

@witcher.3197 said:

Magumma Forager

First, I gave a list, and made it clear it would be by zone at the very least. On top of that, I said you could.. how you look would be ultimately up to you. If you want to wear a Winter Outfit in the desert, you could. Your call.

Beyond that.. Mount Mealstrom is Maguuma, not Shiverpeaks.

and since I added WvW, PvP, Dungeons, Fractals and Raids.. calling it "regions" would still be wrong. Now if you want to split hairs over your own confusion, you can.. but the problem is purely on your end.

@Leo G.4501 said:

Magumma Forager

And Desert Highlands has blazing deserts, wooded mountains, freezing mountains and branded ruins.

My main criticism of the idea is the sheer lack of scope. The idea pretty much narrows down to 1 costume for when it's cold, 1 for when its hot, 1 for in the middle and that's really it.

My idea spans to every zone in the game if a player so wished, again, your lack of grasping the concept seems to be where all your problems lie.

At The very base, did you not see the the idea offers 17 separate templates if someone so wished, with the option to buy an additional template for every single zone in the game, again, if they so wished. and you come here and say you objection is there are not enough choices?

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"Swagg.9236" said:Just implement the Wildstar "Holowardrobe" mechanic. It's a lot better than any system that GW2 has used (just keep dyes changes free). GW2 has already stolen loads of content from Wildstar; why not the fashion flexibility?

• Chose between Using your
    Gear
    OR an
    Outfit
    for appearances.
  • Swap your Mini

So as you can see, it's a far more involved system then simply a
costume
swap.

There is zero reason why all of that couldn't just get slapped onto a single holowardrobe slot. It's all in the hero panel as it is anyway. It'd just be a matter of making multiple hero equipment panels for fashion and only 1 for one's gear (which is basically what the holowardrobe does already). Your idea is effectively the same thing, you're just calling it something else by tying it to "environments."

@Swagg.9236 said:

@Swagg.9236 said:Just implement the Wildstar "Holowardrobe" mechanic. It's a lot better than any system that GW2 has used (just keep dyes changes free). GW2 has already stolen loads of content from Wildstar; why not the fashion flexibility?

Gear
    OR an
    Outfit
    for appearances.
  • Swap your Mini

costume
swap.

There is zero reason why all of that couldn't just get slapped onto a single holowardrobe slot. It's all in the hero panel as it is anyway. It'd just be a matter of making multiple hero equipment panels for fashion and only 1 for one's gear (which is basically what the holowardrobe does already). Your idea is effectively the same thing, you're just calling it something else by tying it to "environments."

so.. basically.. making exactly what I just put up.

However, My idea allows you to set triggers to change your wardrobe as opposed to needing to do it yourself, which would be an improvement over requiring people to do things manually every single the time.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:I would definitely like to set several custom looks. Whether they automatically change or not I don't mind too much, though could be cool. The reason I say custom looks in general, I feel like the environments you picked are going to be very arbitrary, and a system that would just save several looks that would activate on player set situations could provide much more flexible for the player, and probably less saving data intensive for Arenanet (where I'm just speculating that might be a thing)

I am using Anets already established environments, there is nothing arbitrary about my selection. Since they set them up like that, I figured using their divisions was better then trying to reinvent the wheel.

So you would just have 5 or 10 or idontknowhowmany "looks" and have many different environments that you can pick from, from specific zone, to guildhall, region, PvP or whatever. (For example, I could have a look for Core Tyria, Jungle, Desert, Cities and PvP, or specifically for maguuma jungle+HoT, shiverpeaks, desert+drytop/silverwastes.) Depending whether you select a region to use that outfit.

Sounds like alot of work though.

In the end, you would still end up setting them to trigger by environment or zone, so it's better to build from that angle to start with.

I don't think you quite understood what I said, or meant to say. Your proposal will have players have the possibility to have a different look for every single zone. That seems like a shitton of storage space for characters.

I just suggested to start with 5 "extra" looks, where you as a player select zones/regions/modes as if you would in a filter system in a catalogue search engine , where those looks show up/apply.

The categories you picked are arbitrary as players have little or less control over where they can apply their look.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:I would definitely like to set several custom looks. Whether they automatically change or not I don't mind too much, though could be cool. The reason I say custom looks in general, I feel like the environments you picked are going to be very arbitrary, and a system that would just save several looks that would activate on player set situations could provide much more flexible for the player, and probably less saving data intensive for Arenanet (where I'm just speculating that might be a thing)

I am using Anets already established environments, there is nothing arbitrary about my selection. Since they set them up like that, I figured using their divisions was better then trying to reinvent the wheel.

So you would just have 5 or 10 or idontknowhowmany "looks" and have many different environments that you can pick from, from specific zone, to guildhall, region, PvP or whatever. (For example, I could have a look for Core Tyria, Jungle, Desert, Cities and PvP, or specifically for maguuma jungle+HoT, shiverpeaks, desert+drytop/silverwastes.) Depending whether you select a region to use that outfit.

Sounds like alot of work though.

In the end, you would still end up setting them to trigger by environment or zone, so it's better to build from that angle to start with.

I don't think you quite understood what I said, or meant to say. Your proposal will have players have the possibility to have a different look for every single zone. That seems like a shitton of storage space for characters.

I just suggested to start with 5 "extra" looks, where you as a player select zones/regions/modes as if you would in a filter system in a catalogue search engine , where those looks show up/apply.

The categories you picked are arbitrary as players have little or less control over where they can apply their look.

Those Categories are how Anet divides up the game and world map, there is nothing arbitrary about them. As such if you were to try and make a list, it would match what I listed, since the divisions are already there.

@STIHL.2489 said:

Magumma Forager

My main criticism of the idea is the sheer lack of scope. The idea pretty much narrows down to 1 costume for when it's cold, 1 for when its hot, 1 for in the middle and that's really it.

My idea spans to every zone in the game if a player so wished, again, your lack of grasping the concept seems to be where all your problems lie.

At The very base, did you not see the the idea offers 17 separate templates if someone so wished, with the option to buy an additional template for every single zone in the game, again, if they so wished. and you come here and say you objection is there are not enough choices?

The amount of slots is a different issue. It will NOT happen (17 slots!? No. You'll be lucky to get 3 without purchase).

Your idea banks off of environmental costume variation which the game does not support (again, the amount of armor to wear in the heat isn't even that varied, nor is the cold. Camouflage is more dye dependant and the game simply gives you a swimsuit when diving or on certain beaches). You'd have to tackle the variety of costumes as well, but as is, there isn't much.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Swagg.9236 said:Just implement the Wildstar "Holowardrobe" mechanic. It's a lot better than any system that GW2 has used (just keep dyes changes free). GW2 has already stolen loads of content from Wildstar; why not the fashion flexibility?

Gear
    OR an
    Outfit
    for appearances.
  • Swap your Mini

costume
swap.

However, My idea allows you to set triggers to change your wardrobe as opposed to needing to do it yourself, which would be an improvement over requiring people to do things manually every single the time.

Automatically swapping costumes is likely an arbitrary addition, many would find more a nuance than an improvement. Now if this were simply a conditional option placed on a free costume slot, I could see that as being a possibility, if rather complex and unneeded. I'd sooner rather have the ability to trigger a separate costume when my Soulbeast activates beastmode and another for when they deactivate beastmode. Or change costume dyes depending on what attunement I'm using. Or when swapping from one set of traits to another without needing to go into wardrobe or carry around two of the same stat armors.

But looking within the scope of implementation, I feel auto-costuming with environmental or skill triggers is a pipe-dream that won't happen.

Considering you're not taking my criticism well, I'll ask you the question I just asked myself with the previous sentence: Do you believe Anet can or will implement this idea? If yes, explain why you feel that way. If not, what changes could you apply to your idea to make it more likely to be implemented?

@Leo G.4501 said:

Magumma Forager

The amount of slots is a different issue. It will
NOT
happen (17 slots!? No. You'll be lucky to get 3 without purchase).

Your idea banks off of environmental costume variation which the game does not support (again, the amount of armor to wear in the heat isn't even that varied, nor is the cold. Camouflage is more dye dependant and the game simply gives you a swimsuit when diving or on certain beaches). You'd have to tackle the variety of costumes as well, but as is, there isn't much.

Gear
    OR an
    Outfit
    for appearances.
  • Swap your Mini

costume
swap.

Automatically swapping costumes is likely an arbitrary addition, many would find more a nuance than an improvement. Now if this were simply a conditional option placed on a free costume slot, I could see that as being a possibility, if rather complex and unneeded. I'd sooner rather have the ability to trigger a separate costume when my Soulbeast activates beastmode and another for when they deactivate beastmode. Or change costume dyes depending on what attunement I'm using. Or when swapping from one set of traits to another without needing to go into wardrobe or carry around two of the same stat armors.

But looking within the scope of implementation, I feel auto-costuming with environmental or skill triggers is a pipe-dream that won't happen.

Considering you're not taking my criticism well, I'll ask you the question I just asked myself with the previous sentence: Do you believe Anet can or will implement this idea? If yes, explain why you feel that way. If not, what changes could you apply to your idea to make it more likely to be implemented?

Given that the best "idea" you have proposed is not intrinsically any different then what exists in the game already, coupled with the fact that first you complain that I didn't give enough choices then fuss that I give too many.. I am not overlay inclined to welcome your criticisms.

With that said, I firmly believe that Anet could put this in the game, with little difficulty, and since it would boost sales of all other cosmetics because it would give players more to do with them, It would behoove them to implement this idea, as I have proposed it, since my idea is both elegantly simple to us, and vastly deep to enjoy, and above all, totally optional to anyone that does not want to use it. So it would not be intrusive.

a Pipe Dream is WvW Class Balance.. I think putting in this idea would be easier then that..

@STIHL.2489 said:Given that the best "idea" you have proposed is not intrinsically any different then what exists in the game already, coupled with the fact that first you complain that I didn't give enough choices then fuss that I give too many.. I am not overlay inclined to welcome your criticisms.

I never said there weren't enough "choices" in the context of your suggestion (slots =\= choices), I criticized the necessity for different triggers without accompanying choices i.e. there hasn't been a strong push to add armor that is suited for various environments. The themes behind the added armor have nothing to do with how hot, cold, rainy, hazardous, etc, the environment is so why make triggers for it?

@STIHL.2489 said:With that said, I firmly believe that Anet could put this in the game, with little difficulty, and since it would boost sales of all other cosmetics because it would give players more to do with them, It would behoove them to implement this idea, as I have proposed it, since my idea is both elegantly simple to us, and vastly deep to enjoy, and above all, totally optional to anyone that does not want to use it. So it would not be intrusive.

a Pipe Dream is WvW Class Balance.. I think putting in this idea would be easier then that..

Well, I disagree on all fronts except it being another avenue to make sales.

So I guess I'm done here. Good luck.

Archived