Idea on how to Upgrade Fashion wars.

STIHL.2489

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@AstralDusk.1670 said:Feasibility is a dev concern, not a concern for the suggester. Not sure why people spend so much effort shooting down ideas based off assumed development needs as if it actually invalidates the idea.Dream big, fellas.

Because it's a very, very niche feature for a misroscopic slice of the playerbase that requires a very significant amount of resources.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:I would definitely like to set several custom looks. Whether they automatically change or not I don't mind too much, though could be cool. The reason I say custom looks in general, I feel like the environments you picked are going to be very arbitrary, and a system that would just save several looks that would activate on player set situations could provide much more flexible for the player, and probably less saving data intensive for Arenanet (where I'm just speculating that might be a thing)

I am using Anets already established environments, there is nothing arbitrary about my selection. Since they set them up like that, I figured using their divisions was better then trying to reinvent the wheel.

So you would just have 5 or 10 or idontknowhowmany "looks" and have many different environments that you can pick from, from specific zone, to guildhall, region, PvP or whatever. (For example, I could have a look for Core Tyria, Jungle, Desert, Cities and PvP, or specifically for maguuma jungle+HoT, shiverpeaks, desert+drytop/silverwastes.) Depending whether you select a region to use that outfit.

Sounds like alot of work though.

In the end, you would still end up setting them to trigger by environment or zone, so it's better to build from that angle to start with.

I don't think you quite understood what I said, or meant to say. Your proposal will have players have the possibility to have a different look for every single zone. That seems like a shitton of storage space for characters.

I just suggested to start with 5 "extra" looks, where you as a player select zones/regions/modes as if you would in a filter system in a catalogue search engine , where those looks show up/apply.

The categories you picked are arbitrary as players have little or less control over where they can apply their look.

Those Categories are how Anet divides up the game and world map, there is nothing arbitrary about them. As such if you were to try and make a list, it would match what I listed, since the divisions are already there.

How ArenaNet divides up the world doesnt automatically correlate to how and where people would want different looks.

The regional options would most likely stay the same, ofcourse. Except what Im suggesting is that people have full control over where such a hypothetical secondary look would apply according to their preferences, rather than needing to make a separate look for every region if not buying extra separate regions in the gemstore. Instead Id imagine it much more user-friendly if you could buy additional slots for other looks rather than arbitrarilly be limited by what regions you have bought or not.

Thinking on it. I rather just slots to change and not lock a look to a certain area.Sometimes I want to look like myself. Sometimes I want to look like the creature from the black lagoon, sometimes maybe I want to look like something ugly and hideous like Braham or... hm... what else is as ugly as him... Ettins?No that's an insult to Ettins.Jotuns.

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:Thinking on it. I rather just slots to change and not lock a look to a certain area.Sometimes I want to look like myself. Sometimes I want to look like the creature from the black lagoon, sometimes maybe I want to look like something ugly and hideous like Braham or... hm... what else is as ugly as him... Ettins?No that's an insult to Ettins.Jotuns.

The way this is set up, is you would have a "default" look, and your look would only change if you chose. So you could be you, anywhere you wanted with no additional effort on your part. Taking part in this features use, is tonally voluntary.

At the same time you could set it so that you put on Braham's outfit automatically so you could be dressed like a crying emo norn only when you entered Holbrak for example, and change back to looking like you when you left, but I wont be able to wash off the dirty feeling of looking like that for.. sorry.

Since this layout is still built off the existing UI as it is, changing your look, would still be the same process as it always was, so the feature is intuitive for existing players.

@witcher.3197 said:

@"AstralDusk.1670" said:Feasibility is a dev concern, not a concern for the suggester. Not sure why people spend so much effort shooting down ideas based off assumed development needs as if it actually invalidates the idea.Dream big, fellas.

Because it's a very, very niche feature for a misroscopic slice of the playerbase that requires a very significant amount of resources.

Given this game is funded by cosmetics, I would highly doubt this is "niche" at all. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the people who didn't use this feature would be microscopic minority.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"AstralDusk.1670" said:Feasibility is a dev concern, not a concern for the suggester. Not sure why people spend so much effort shooting down ideas based off assumed development needs as if it actually invalidates the idea.Dream big, fellas.

Given this game is funded by cosmetics, I would highly doubt this is "niche" at all. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the people who didn't use this feature would be microscopic minority.

Delusion is helluva drug.

@witcher.3197 said:

You're right it is, which makes me wonder if you realize that you are playing a game that is often called "Fashon War2' and that MO Himself said that the game grind was about cosmetics not gear score. I am sincerely wondering if you realize what game forum you are on when you profess that cosmetics are not a huge thing here.

So let me clear this up for you, This is GW2, Cosmetics are a Huge part of this game.

@STIHL.2489 said:

You're right it is, which makes me wonder if you realize that you are playing a game that is often called "Fashon War2' and that MO Himself said that the game grind was about cosmetics not gear score. I am sincerely wondering if you realize what game forum you are on when you profess that cosmetics are not a huge thing here.

So let me clear this up for you, This is GW2, Cosmetics are a
Huge
part of this game.

Of course it's about cosmetics but it's also about convenience. This feature would be very popular for 1-2 days after release, then updating all the sets would become a chore shortly after and eventually it'd be abandoned, specially when new items are coming out because most people I imagine wouldn't want their brand new skins to be switched off because they did a world boss or whatever.

And really, the resources required for this would be tremendous.. so many other things would have a higher priority.

@witcher.3197 said:

So let me clear this up for you, This is GW2, Cosmetics are a
Huge
part of this game.

Of course it's about cosmetics but it's also about convenience.

and my Idea offers both.

This feature would be very popular for 1-2 days after release, then updating all the sets would become a chore shortly after and eventually it'd be abandoned, specially when new items are coming out because most people I imagine wouldn't want their brand new skins to be switched off because they did a world boss or whatever.

You "Imagine"?

You don't know?

As a player that gets into cosmetics,(hence why I wanted this idea to start with) I know this answer, and truth be told, I would not want to wear my shiny new outfit on doing jungle worm, unless that outfit fit well into that environment, and if it did.. I would have already had it swapped in, because I would have done that in the time between buying it and going on a world boss train.

And really, the resources required for this would be tremendous.. so many other things would have a higher priority.

Nah.. if this was WoW, or ESO, or some other game, you might have a point, but it seems you keep forgetting that this is GW2 .. fashion and cosmetics are King.

@Biff.5312 said:Sounds nifty but complicated. How about simply letting us have preset 'looks' in our wardrobe that we can swap out with a single-click, the way outfits work? If it would also retain the dye combos for each look, that would be golden.

I thought about that, but in the end, we already have outfits to fill that role and have a lot more then 5 options, , so there is not anything intrinsically different in doing that then what we have already, and truth be told, people don't seem to like needing to manually trigger a new look when they move about, or else outfit swapping would be a huge thing, and it's not.

With my idea, You would have a Default Look (what we have right now), that would apply everywhere, but.. if you wanted a custom look for a specific region/game mode/town/zone, you can. You are in control of your look

IE: You Set up that perfect look for HoT, and never need to worry about it again, you would always rock that look when you went into HoT.. until you wanted to rock another look, Or maybe you just got that perfect dye for Blazeridge but it would look silly anywhere else? Not a problem, with my plan, you can set it up to apply to that dye when you zone into Blazeridge, and only when you are in Blazeridge. Want a Choya mini when in PoF, but want a Skritt when you are in divinity Reach.. my idea allows you to do that.

Its powerful , yet simple to use, as it works on what we already know.

@"STIHL.2489" said:

You "Imagine"?

You don't know?

Yes, sorry to disappoint you but I'm a mere human being, unlike you I do not possess the ability to peer into the future and prophesize things with absolute certainty. I can only make educated guesses based on knowing the playerbase and the genre.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:Thinking on it. I rather just slots to change and not lock a look to a certain area.Sometimes I want to look like myself. Sometimes I want to look like the creature from the black lagoon, sometimes maybe I want to look like something ugly and hideous like Braham or... hm... what else is as ugly as him... Ettins?No that's an insult to Ettins.Jotuns.

The way this is set up, is you would have a "default" look, and your look would only change if you chose. So you could be you, anywhere you wanted with no additional effort on your part. Taking part in this features use, is tonally voluntary.

At the same time you could set it so that you put on Braham's outfit automatically so you could be dressed like a crying emo norn only when you entered Holbrak for example, and change back to looking like you when you left, but I wont be able to wash off the dirty feeling of looking like that for.. sorry.

Since this layout is still built off the existing UI as it is, changing your look, would still be the same process as it always was, so the feature is intuitive for existing players.

The problem is I rather it not be locked to an area and rather locked to whenever I want to change to look like something else.Here's a quick video I did to show how it's done in another game which I think would be a perfect setup:

And yes, it's called "Fashion Templates".You design a look you want using accessories, body parts (robots only of course), tattoos, underwear, eye patterns, eye colours, hats, earrings, wings, backpacks, balloons, whatever the hell you want.You then name the fashion to your liking.You start off with 10 per character. If you want more you pay up.As long as the clothing/outfits are in the shared storage (it's not the same as GW2, but I would say for GW2 it would be wardrobe as costumes and layered outfits has 0 stats in this game as they're a whole different placement than your armour), you then switch in and out whenever you want.

That way it won't be locked to an area.Even in this game as you mention Hoelbrak I do have a snow coat/clothing pieces I COULD put on whenever and however I want too, but the fashion template should NOT be locked to one area as that's way too limiting.

Just give us fashion templates and call it a day and let us load them how we want.Maybe someone can make... let's say it's 5 we get from Arenanet.Maybe someone do one per season? Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, and the last one is their "Casual".They buy more and MAYBE they can set it by area like Maguuma, Orr, Kryta, Elona, whatever.

Also would help as let's say you went to Fireheart. One area it's scorched places, which you might wear normal clothes or something a bit cooler as it's hot over there, then to the west because it's so close to Shiverpeak it's snowy ice mountains. Yeah would make 100% sense to lock Ascalon to one so if you're in Plains you will wear the same thing you wear in Fireheart east and Fireheart west.

Just give us bloody templates. Would be very stupid to limit it.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Thinking on it. I rather just slots to change and not lock a look to a certain area.Sometimes I want to look like myself. Sometimes I want to look like the creature from the black lagoon, sometimes maybe I want to look like something ugly and hideous like Braham or... hm... what else is as ugly as him... Ettins?No that's an insult to Ettins.Jotuns.

The problem is I rather it not be locked to an area and rather locked to whenever I want to change to look like something else.Here's a quick video I did to show how it's done in another game which I think would be a perfect setup:

That way it won't be locked to an area.Even in this game as you mention Hoelbrak I do have a snow coat/clothing pieces I COULD put on whenever and however I want too, but the fashion template should NOT be locked to one area as that's way too limiting.

Do you use the Outfit option in GW2 when you zone into new areas?

IE: Do you put on your "Snow Outfit" every time you venture into Holbrak or the Shiverpeaks?

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Thinking on it. I rather just slots to change and not lock a look to a certain area.Sometimes I want to look like myself. Sometimes I want to look like the creature from the black lagoon, sometimes maybe I want to look like something ugly and hideous like Braham or... hm... what else is as ugly as him... Ettins?No that's an insult to Ettins.Jotuns.

And yes, it's called "Fashion Templates".You design a look you want using accessories, body parts (robots only of course), tattoos, underwear, eye patterns, eye colours, hats, earrings, wings, backpacks, balloons, whatever the hell you want.You then name the fashion to your liking.You start off with 10 per character. If you want more you pay up.As long as the clothing/outfits are in the shared storage (it's not the same as GW2, but I would say for GW2 it would be wardrobe as costumes and layered outfits has 0 stats in this game as they're a whole different placement than your armour), you then switch in and out whenever you want.

Just give us fashion templates and call it a day and let us load them how we want.Maybe someone can make... let's say it's 5 we get from Arenanet.Maybe someone do one per season? Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, and the last one is their "Casual".They buy more and MAYBE they can set it by area like Maguuma, Orr, Kryta, Elona, whatever.

Also would help as let's say you went to Fireheart. One area it's scorched places, which you might wear normal clothes or something a bit cooler as it's hot over there, then to the west because it's so close to Shiverpeak it's snowy ice mountains. Yeah would make 100% sense to lock Ascalon to one so if you're in Plains you will wear the same thing you wear in Fireheart east and Fireheart west.

I use outfits for certain things unless otherwise.The reason I say otherwise is because my Guardian will only ever use the Jungle Explorer due to not a single piece of heavy armour I like on her that workd right with her theme as she's not supposed to look like a "heavy armour" character but her theme IS worked around Guardian as a whole.Next would be let's say my Necros where I'm either using the usual clothing I got on, sometimes the Ghostly Outfit, ,Royal Guard Outfit, Jungle Explorer Outfit, or Hexed Outfit (the only other outfits I have are Pirate Captain's Outfit, which I only have because they refused to release the Jungle Explorer Outfit until that Evon guaranteed outfit thing came out and the Pirate Captain's Outfit top shows way too much cleavage for me to ever wear willingly when I have better things now to wear, and then the last outfit I got is Fallen Balthazar Outfit, which I think looks super stupid and never wanted, but it's account bound.

I use outfits for certain things unless otherwise.The reason I say otherwise is because my Guardian will only ever use the Jungle Explorer due to not a single piece of heavy armour I like on her that workd right with her theme as she's not supposed to look like a "heavy armour" character but her theme IS worked around Guardian as a whole.Next would be let's say my Necros where I'm either using the usual clothing I got on, sometimes the Ghostly Outfit, ,Royal Guard Outfit, Jungle Explorer Outfit, or Hexed Outfit (the only other outfits I have are Pirate Captain's Outfit, which I only have because they refused to release the Jungle Explorer Outfit until that Evon guaranteed outfit thing came out and the Pirate Captain's Outfit top shows way too much cleavage for me to ever wear willingly when I have better things now to wear, and then the last outfit I got is Fallen Balthazar Outfit, which I think looks super stupid and never wanted, but it's account bound.

Do you change your outfit as you zone and move around the world map?

@STIHL.2489 said:

Do you change your outfit as you zone and move around the world map?

I change based on my mood. I don't change based on zone as that's what I considered limiting."I" should be the one in control when to change or not.

The PROBLEM though in GW2 sense is that in PSO2, I can change all of the clothing pieces I want (as long as I don't change my hair, skin, height, body proportions) 100% for free.I can't do that in GW2 because of the transmutation charges.If Transmutation charges didn't hinder me? I would be changing my skins probably once every 30 minutes.I like changing outfits and clothings (that's why I have a ton of templates saved in PSO2 and other games).

Yes I have over like 350 transmutation charges but if I changed the way I want to I would run out within a month.

Something else I'd like is some costume change emotes.

With some creativity, a player could use them for extra flavor or for RP. I think one of my pinnacle of creative uses for such a feature was the simple backflip costume change emote on my Pistol/fire/ice blaster. The concept isn't super novel and new but for a video game, it's not often done, having 2 demons possessing a pair of pistols and at all times 1 of them has to be inside the pistols, one an ice demon and the other a fire demon. The way the pistols powerset worked is you could swap your ammo types to normal bullets (some skills could shoot further), incendiary ammo, cryo ammo or chem ammo. Shouldn't be difficult to understand how the concept of my character worked with the costume change templates + costume change emotes.

In terms of GW2, I bet many eles would adore some kind of ability to change their costume dyes by what attunement they're in. This idea or the above would likely require some degree of macro creations be incorporated into the costume template system. Probably unlikely but certainly a flexible option to add onto such a QoL improvement.

@Leo G.4501 said:

With some creativity, a player could use them for extra flavor or for RP. I think one of my pinnacle of creative uses for such a feature was the simple backflip costume change emote on my Pistol/fire/ice blaster. The concept isn't super novel and new but for a video game, it's not often done, having 2 demons possessing a pair of pistols and at all times 1 of them has to be inside the pistols, one an ice demon and the other a fire demon. The way the pistols powerset worked is you could swap your ammo types to normal bullets (some skills could shoot further), incendiary ammo, cryo ammo or chem ammo. Shouldn't be difficult to understand how the concept of my character worked with the costume change templates + costume change emotes.

In terms of GW2, I bet many eles would adore some kind of ability to change their costume dyes by what attunement they're in. This idea or the above would likely require some degree of macro creations be incorporated into the costume template system. Probably unlikely but certainly a flexible option to add onto such a QoL improvement.

Yeah I used to use those a ton in CoH.Forgot what the move was that when I died I used a special emote when I use the phoenix revival skill and turn into a "Phoenix costume".

@Leo G.4501 said:

Hilarious.. You fuss that it would be wrong for a trigger set for when you zone into say Holbrak.. but.. want it set for when you Trigger Soulbast.. what's the difference?

@STIHL.2489 said:

Hilarious.. You fuss that it would be wrong for a trigger set for when you zone into say Holbrak.. but.. want it set for when you Trigger Soulbast.. what's the difference?

The difference is the person has a choice on when and where and not based on the zone/location.Having the player have control over it is better than the environment having control over it.

I would quicker support it changing when I mount/dismount than when I go from Hoelbrak to Divinity's Reach.

The difference is the person has a choice on when and where and not based on the zone/location.Having the player have control over it is better than the environment having control over it.

I would quicker support it changing when I mount/dismount than when I go from Hoelbrak to Divinity's Reach.

So your complete and total hang up over this is that the triggers are not what your arbitrary selections would be, Got it. figured it was something frivolous like that.

If it makes you feel any better, there is no reason why they could not add in a "Mount" or 'Soulbeast" trigger to the Environment list.

Archived