Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

15 hours ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Hello,

Can you try to run the game in a Virtual Desktop mode and see if that helps? You can do this by running the 'wine_settings.sh' file > then go to 'Graphics' tab and tick the 'Emulate a virtual desktop' option (pick your desired resolution).

Hey,

tried with 1920x1080 and then running play.sh, but it starts up wine desktop and then just crashes.

2 hours ago, eleven.2351 said:

Hey,

tried with 1920x1080 and then running play.sh, but it starts up wine desktop and then just crashes.

The terminal log doesn't say much unfortunately.

ok second attempt: Open up the wine_settings.sh file again, this time go to "Libraries" tab and remove these 3 entries: dxgi, d3d9, d3d11

Let me know if the game runs like this (performance will be slow but don't worry it's just for troubleshooting purposes).

Edited by ArmoredVehicle.2849

22 hours ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

The terminal log doesn't say much unfortunately.

ok second attempt: Open up the wine_settings.sh file again, this time go to "Libraries" tab and remove these 3 entries: dxgi, d3d9, d3d11

Let me know if the game runs like this (performance will be slow but don't worry it's just for troubleshooting purposes).

Ok, this got the patcher running now. Will post an update once it finishes (it's very slow).

1 hour ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Does the game run now? (regardless of performance)

If yes, we'll move on to the next step 🙂

Sorry, forgot to update back.
Yes! The game starts normally, however it is laggy and the movement input is bad. Example, if I try moving forward it gets locked and keeps on auto running for some reason! 😄 but let's move on to the next step

23 minutes ago, eleven.2351 said:

Sorry, forgot to update back.
Yes! The game starts normally, however it is laggy and the movement input is bad. Example, if I try moving forward it gets locked and keeps on auto running for some reason! 😄 but let's move on to the next step

From the way it looks it seems Vulkan support is not installed in your distro.

Ok now you need re-add those libraries you deleted in wine_settings: d3d9, d3d11, dxgi (set them all to 'native').

Next you'll have to look for and install the 'libvulkan1' package (amd64 version).

Hopefully this is enough to get the game up and running.

13 hours ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

From the way it looks it seems Vulkan support is not installed in your distro.

Ok now you need re-add those libraries you deleted in wine_settings: d3d9, d3d11, dxgi (set them all to 'native').

Next you'll have to look for and install the 'libvulkan1' package (amd64 version).

Hopefully this is enough to get the game up and running.

Unfortunately, I checked and the vulkan package is installed on my system and having added those libs, the program once again crashes at the start.

On 1/10/2022 at 12:33 PM, eleven.2351 said:

Unfortunately, I checked and the vulkan package is installed on my system and having added those libs, the program once again crashes at the start.

Could you check if you're running a Wayland or Xorg session? If you're on Wayland, try with Xorg.

You can choose the session type as shown in this link: https://linuxconfig.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/01-how-to-enable-disable-wayland-on-ubuntu-20-04-desktop.png

12 hours ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Could you check if you're running a Wayland or Xorg session? If you're on Wayland, try with Xorg.

You can choose the session type as shown in this link: https://linuxconfig.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/01-how-to-enable-disable-wayland-on-ubuntu-20-04-desktop.png

Can't even see the button to check, it's a clear ubuntu install I think, without any sessions.

5 hours ago, eleven.2351 said:

Can't even see the button to check, it's a clear ubuntu install I think, without any sessions.

Could you look maybe the button is elsewhere on the screen?

--------------------

Also for everyone else:

I've updated the package with the newest version of DXVK-async (version 1.9.3). This is the only change for this update.

For the next major release I've been testing the AMD FSR Wine patches. This will be mostly helpful to those with low end systems. This feature works fine with GW2 however only when the game is set to DX9 mode. The game's DX11 renderer doesn't seem to be working with it.

18 hours ago, ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

Could you look maybe the button is elsewhere on the screen?

--------------------

Also for everyone else:

I've updated the package with the newest version of DXVK-async (version 1.9.3). This is the only change for this update.

For the next major release I've been testing the AMD FSR Wine patches. This will be mostly helpful to those with low end systems. This feature works fine with GW2 however only when the game is set to DX9 mode. The game's DX11 renderer doesn't seem to be working with it.

Tried my best, even asked for a second pair of eyes. No button. 😞

8 hours ago, Barabeam.4638 said:

I did a quick Googling for you, try this command :

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

It worked for me and showed me that I am using X11. try it and see what it shows you.

Thanks a lot

❯ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
x11

Edited by eleven.2351

Huge thanks to ArmoredVehicle!

I'm trying to run GW2 in Debian Bullseye on a Framework laptop. The game launches, but the launcher doesn't have any fonts. I imagine this is a scaling issue?

I tried various xrandr scaling options and for general use "--scale 0.9x0.9" works best for me. Of course I'm willing to set it to whatever works for the launcher, at least long enough to tell it to remember my password 🙂

Playing with it a bit more, it's complaining that it can't find libfreetype despite me having version 2.10.0 installed. I ran 'ldd' against the binaries in GW2/bin but I don't see any linked to libfreetype.

EDIT: Anyone else who runs into this problem "apt install libfreetype6:i386" and you'll be set!

Edited by riddley.1579

4 hours ago, riddley.1579 said:

Huge thanks to ArmoredVehicle!

I'm trying to run GW2 in Debian Bullseye on a Framework laptop. The game launches, but the launcher doesn't have any fonts. I imagine this is a scaling issue?

I tried various xrandr scaling options and for general use "--scale 0.9x0.9" works best for me. Of course I'm willing to set it to whatever works for the launcher, at least long enough to tell it to remember my password 🙂

Playing with it a bit more, it's complaining that it can't find libfreetype despite me having version 2.10.0 installed. I ran 'ldd' against the binaries in GW2/bin but I don't see any linked to libfreetype.

EDIT: Anyone else who runs into this problem "apt install libfreetype6:i386" and you'll be set!

I was about to suggest trying the libfreetype6 i386 package but you beat me to it.

I recall someone came across this issue a while back but it's buried in who knows which page. Added a note for it in troubleshooting section on page 1 🙂

Strangely, the initial downloader screen prior to the launcher had fonts just fine. One other thing that I didn't fix was an impossibly slow download. Downloading Debian packages (etc) were very fast, but for some reason the GW2 install took 12 hrs or so. I'm guessing it's the currently-flakey wifi in the Framework.

Any idea why I get better FPS with the integrated graphics on the 11th-gen Intel than I do with a Vega64 on a different Debian machine?

4 hours ago, riddley.1579 said:

Any idea why I get better FPS with the integrated graphics on the 11th-gen Intel than I do with a Vega64 on a different Debian machine?

What's the CPU on the 11th gen Intel and the one on the Vega64 machine?

Can you post the specs of both machines? It might give me a better picture of what the issue may be.

23 minutes ago, riddley.1579 said:

The Intel is an i7-1165G7 and the CPU with the Vega64 is a Threadripper 1950.

The intel cpu has better single core performance. The amd one is much better at multi threaded tasks but it doesn't have the same benefit for games.

Try to run the game to the first 8 cores by using the 'taskset -c 0-7' command.

On a 1700X using this method gives me higher frames than letting the game manage the cores by itself.

this might be a bit silly question...how do i open game again? i installed gw2 following instruction and i opened it after laucher finished updating ,game worked well 🙂 ,then i exited game and cant seem to find how to open it again.The 'play.sh' thing doesnt work ;x please help

EDIT : and please help with arc dps,how to open and run it in terminal to install it? ( arc dps is main reason i installed gw2 this way,had it before this running from lutris ,but couldnt set up arc dps there..if you know how to set up arc dps in lutris please tell..

Edited by Zoidne.3879

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 8:16 PM, Teichi.7295 said:

In Lutris it's pretty easy. Click on game and browse files. From there it's basically the same procedure like on Windows. I just copied d3d9.dll into the guildwars2/bin folder.

a bit late reply ,but yeah i did same as that,but it doesnt work ..i cant open arcdps while in game

14 hours ago, Zoidne.3879 said:

a bit late reply ,but yeah i did same as that,but it doesnt work ..i cant open arcdps while in game

Just re-tested arcdps with my package and it's working fine.

Installation is as follows:

1) In same folder where you extracted the package you'll find a 'arcdps_easysetup_tool' folder.

2) Download the d3d9.dll file from "https://www.deltaconnected.com/arcdps/x64/" and place it in the "put_arcdps_files_here"

3) Run the "arcdps_setup.sh" file - this will copy the file to the correct folder.

Please Note: On Linux I could only get it to work while the game is in DX9 mode. So far I haven't managed to make it work while the game is running in DX11 mode.