Long / Delayed Loading Screens for Sandswept Isles

When loading Sandswept Isles map and only this map, the load stops at about 3s into loading at STATE_MAP_STREAM, the GW2 client freezes for about 30s before resuming the rest of the load.

This issue does not occour on any map and has not occoured ever before except on this map.

Looking at what GW2 is actually doing, it's reading from Gw2.dat, then having to wait on a response from the server, which causes GW2 to freeze until it's received. Unlike on other maps where the response is received instantly and prior to loading, here it's late and takes several seconds to complete, at which point GW2 resumes loading. For me, it freezes for 20 seconds, and it's probably happening to everyone.

I think there's something more going on than just slow server response. My load times aren't as bad as described in this thread and some others, but I noticed that the swirly circle in the bottom left freezes for a while, and when that's happening even other processes on my PC freeze for 2-3 seconds. Like the music I'm playing, it stops when the circle freezes and resumes when the circles resumes spinning.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:I think there's something more going on than just slow server response. My load times aren't as bad as described in this thread and some others, but I noticed that the swirly circle in the bottom left freezes for a while, and when that's happening even other processes on my PC freeze for 2-3 seconds.

GW2's CPU usage spikes during the freeze. If it's reaching 100% for you, it'll cause everything else to freeze or slow down. If you wanted to, you could lower GW2's priority or prevent it from using all cores.

I simply assumed the problem was having to wait on the server's response, since it trickles in during the freeze, and unfreezes by the end of it. For comparison, on other maps the response is received instantly at the start, however the delay here could be caused by the high CPU usage. A process freezes because its main thread is being blocked due to having to wait on something that it didn't expect to take long. Normally network activity would be separated, so it really shouldn't be it. Looking at the registry activity, it's 4x more than usual, and at a quick glance, it's because they're looping through the video devices several times, which probably shouldn't be happening.

I can confirm this.

Loading into the new map and ONLY the new map:3s freeze due to 100% CPU load (not a normal behavior, CPU load is at 40% usually)CPU Fans spin up loudly, that's how i noticed it the first time.

All other applications of course also freeze, easy to confirm by playing music or a YouTube video during the initial loading of the map.I don't think there is any issue with a background process, I turned off everything and the freeze still happens.

It is kinda concerning and I would appreciate a fix soon, I don't like to stress-test my CPU every time I load this map XD

@Yifang.8260 said:You live in luxury if you worry about 3seconds freezing…. Many of us take minutes to load busy maps!

I'm not really worried about the added loading time. ^^The abnormally high CPU load is more concerning to me because it stresses the hardware to an unnecessary degree even if it is just 3s.A System completely freezing up like this is just not a good thing independent of loading times.

I'm on a laptop and a 5yr old one at that so it would be far more concerning for me than you but I'd not worry about a few seconds at all even so! I do know what you are talking about happens to me too and far longer intervals than 3seconds, my CPU often exceeds 100ºC during the summer when playing GW2 no lie! Will add though a problem is still a problem and they add up so you're right to report it...

I've got 64 bit gw2 on an ssd, 4 core processor. Every other map in the game, when I begin loading it I go to one of my other monitors and click youtube videos, browse reddit etc. This map and only this map while loading, completely freezes my computer. Both firefox and chrome freeze, as does microsoft office. Other programs on my computer literally stop rendering, showing only the desktop background.

@thrag.9740 said:I've got 64 bit gw2 on an ssd, 4 core processor. Every other map in the game, when I begin loading it I go to one of my other monitors and click youtube videos, browse reddit etc. This map and only this map while loading, completely freezes my computer. Both firefox and chrome freeze, as does microsoft office. Other programs on my computer literally stop rendering, showing only the desktop background.

Yes, exactly how it is for me. Even the web browser is frozen, which doesn’t happen on other maps.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to see this thread. The CPU spike has been a noticeable issue for me in the past month. I noticed originally Crystal Desert took a long time to load but figured it was server load causing the problem. However, just this past month load screens have become a fair bit longer, particularly the new LW maps and I have noticed my CPU is spiking a lot while I am playing.

We were in a raid last night (Soulless Horror) and 3 of us experienced the same CPU spike at the same time. Due to local cache I was still moving around for about 2 seconds, my skills unresponsive and the animations e.g. walls of death were not appearing on my screen. Then the CPU totally spiked, and released a few seconds later. I think the whole episode lasted 6-10s and featured the same symptoms just at the worst possible time for the raid group. LOL

I have been troubleshooting on my end thinking something is wrong so I tested on my husband's older ROG laptop and had the same results. Then last night others in the group said they have had the same issues so I am starting to wonder if there is an issue with the game.

Archived