Do people even use Superior Rune of The Deadeye?

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

I finally took a look at it again, well mostly the prices and found that they are just normal Superior Rune prices really. But the real kicker is that despite so many complaints about it being worthless... it still hasn't gotten a redesign.

So I'm guessing this means that it works in someone's data... I guess. The real question is... does anyone actually use the stupid thing? We already pointed out how bad this thing is for a might generator when you have others that does the job much better without needing you to burn a 30+second cooldown for 2 stacks of might.

Heck... the Daredevil and Thief runes are far more effective on the deadeye than the Deadeye's own rune!

It's just a strictly worse version of Scholar runes with less purpose.

Ele has no value in trying to use it and the Cantrips on DE are relatively bad since the trait line is effectively solely conducive to stealth-camping or standard mobility setups, and the might gain is pretty pointless across the board.

More problems with the sniper design, though. Cantrips can't be made any good or the DE ends up just replacing everything about core, and they're already barely run on most Eles as it is. Lightning Flash is maybe used and that's about it. These builds both stack tons of might, too.

Though I'd rather it be bad than be a superior version to Scholars. A lot of elite spec runes are and it's whatever because it'd seriously mess with the economy.

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:I think a better version - more in line with the deadeye - would be to change the 6th bonus to something like "+15% damage while revealed".This would be a buff to Death's Judgment thogh, which wouldn't sit well with many players complainers.

That would be perfect and allow a little build variation for DE where the might stacks would just go largely unnoticed since we have a trait or two and probably other runes that give the same or a better might source anyway. I do like our cantrips and use them a lot but I don't feel short of might stacks at all and it's not my main focus, DE runes right now just have no place for anyone.

Deceiver already hit it up but I was thinking when walking back to work that 15% damage while revealed would get out of hand, maybe something a little more toned down, but ya, blowing through all my cantrips for some throw away might is as dumb as equipping enough cantrips to make the runes worth it.

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:I think a better version - more in line with the deadeye - would be to change the 6th bonus to something like "+15% damage while revealed".This would be a buff to Death's Judgment thogh, which wouldn't sit well with many players complainers.

Hope you're ready for holo, longbow ranger, and mesmer to abuse the hell out of these runes and hit you for a ton more damage from their stealth combos lol.

I can imagine the 40k Rapid Fire Soulbeasts already...

It competes with Scholar Runes for BiS and fails. The biggest problem here is not just the rune but the Cantrips themselves, having only one Cantrip related trait, and the lack of Cantrip CDR traits. However, it's a cheaper version of the Scholar Rune if you just want to get the same stats for Power and Ferocity -- then simply drop a different rune for the 6th slot to get a stat you want (e.g. buy a cheap Vamp Rune to add 25 more power, or Rage Rune to add 25 more ferocity). Definitely a poor man's rune.

@kash.9213 @DeceiverX.8361 Scholars Runes already have a 10% dmg buff that is guaranteed to apply to an initial burst from stealth. I chose 15% because keeping the revealed debuff up is arguably more difficult than staying above 90% health. This would mean Scholars has a better upkeep while Deadeyes has a stronger burst. Only specialized thief builds would get a higher dps from Deadeyes than Scholars Runes this way.

There shouldn't be any more features built around Revealed. A reasonable approach is to grant "+10% damage boost at 1500 range". This way, the DE is forced to maintain this distance to keep the bonus. It's very similar to Scholar and might be a good competitor for the slot.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:I think a better version - more in line with the deadeye - would be to change the 6th bonus to something like "+15% damage while revealed".This would be a buff to Death's Judgment thogh, which wouldn't sit well with many
players
complainers.

There shouldn't be any more features built around Revealed. A reasonable approach is to grant "+10% damage boost at 1500 range". This way, the DE is forced to maintain this distance to keep the bonus. It's very similar to Scholar and might be a good competitor for the slot.

RT and RM are the only things that revolve around being revealed o.O

The rune then just becomes strictly better than Scholars at that point for anything with long ranged weapons, then.

The problem is more that the effect isn't good for the classes that have cantrips and that DE's cantrips are okay a best. Trooper runes are excellent and people run them on a lot of builds because the effect is good. It's just that might gain on cantrip use has no synergy with DE moreso than the effect being overly-weak. It is okay for the runes to not be top-tier, just like many other elite specialization runes aren't.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:I think a better version - more in line with the deadeye - would be to change the 6th bonus to something like "+15% damage while revealed".This would be a buff to Death's Judgment thogh, which wouldn't sit well with many
players
complainers.

RT and RM are the only things that revolve around being revealed o.O

And it should stay that way.

The rune then just becomes strictly better than Scholars at that point for anything with long ranged weapons, then.

Nothing's wrong with that. Just like Scholar, the only real advantage would be from the initial engagement. Once the target gets close, the bonus is disabled. Other than Ranger and Deadeye, no other professions have 1500 range weapon.

The problem is more that the effect isn't good for the classes that have cantrips and that DE's cantrips are okay a best. Trooper runes are excellent and people run them on a lot of builds because the effect is good. It's just that might gain on cantrip use has no synergy with DE moreso than the effect being overly-weak. It is okay for the runes to not be top-tier, just like many other elite specialization runes aren't.

The main difference is Warrior has 25s CD shout and they have a shout CDR trait which makes the Trooper rune very useful. Deadeye has a very long CD Cantrips, 30s-45s, without CDR traits. Plus Deadeye can stack might faster by simply using Unload.

... You could make Deadeye's stolen abilities count as Cantrips, that could make it somewhat useful for support builds (for whoever runs those) who can spam cantrips and stolen-skills all day. In addition you could make it a might-share.

Still wouldn't make it worth it though. You sacrifice a lot to be able to cast that many stolen abilities, and stacking (and sharing) might is really easy to begin with, so there's kinda no point.

Archived