Have PvE matchmaking ever been discussed?

OsmoZ.1297

@OsmoZ.1297 said:Sorry for my bad word usage.

I just wanted to know if they already discussed implementing an automatic party finder/maker for dungeons

No worries. What you want to use is the LFG. It is in one of the icons at the top of the screen (I am not in front of the GW2 client right now so hopefully that will be close enough).

GW2 originally went with the idea that you could bring the player, not the class, so unlike trinity MMOs where you need a tank and healer, here you could bring whoever you wanted to. They also originally advertised dungeons as being intended for coordinated groups, which isn't pugs. These two are likely the reason why GW2 didn't even have a basic LFG function originally.

As for queued grouping (LFD/R) specifically, GW2 has never had any plans for it. Implementing it would certainly see a large boost to the participating population, but this type of content was simply never GW2's focus. You can rely on LFG to pug it, but you're really expected to join a guild to reliably do this content.

@Healix.5819 said:GW2 originally went with the idea that you could bring the player, not the class, so unlike trinity MMOs where you need a tank and healer, here you could bring whoever you wanted to. They also originally advertised dungeons as being intended for coordinated groups, which isn't pugs. These two are likely the reason why GW2 didn't even have a basic LFG function originally.

As for queued grouping (LFD/R) specifically, GW2 has never had any plans for it. Implementing it would certainly see a large boost to the participating population, but this type of content was simply never GW2's focus. You can rely on LFG to pug it, but you're really expected to join a guild to reliably do this content.

Thanks for the detailed response.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'm confused. What 'matches' would need to be 'made' in PvE?

Or, are you suggesting Open World PvP? If so, no, there are no plans, at this time, for any Open World PvP, or dueling, for that matter, other than the Guild Hall arenas, and, of course, WvW.

Not sure if you played ESO or not, but as an example ESO has an auto-party mechanism that would group people together for their dungeons that would group 2 DPS, 1 healer and 1 tank into a party before creating an instance of the dungeon. With some changes I could see something like this for raids, and dungeons back in the day. ESO's system doesn't check stats either, it relies on the player pre-flagging their role in the party they are planing on filling and assumes they are truthful and creates parties from there.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:I'm confused. What 'matches' would need to be 'made' in PvE?

Or, are you suggesting Open World PvP? If so, no, there are no plans, at this time, for any Open World PvP, or dueling, for that matter, other than the Guild Hall arenas, and, of course, WvW.

Not sure if you played ESO or not, but as an example ESO has an auto-party mechanism that would group people together for their dungeons that would group 2 DPS, 1 healer and 1 tank into a party before creating an instance of the dungeon. With some changes I could see something like this for raids, and dungeons back in the day. ESO's system doesn't check stats either, it relies on the player pre-flagging their role in the party they are planing on filling and assumes they are truthful and creates parties from there.

World of Warcraft has a similar system, when you queue for dungeons you select the roles you're comfortable/willing to perform, Tank, Healer and/or DPS and it creates a group with 3 Deeps, a Tank and a Healer. Of course you're only allowed select roles your class is capable of performing so you can't, for example, tick either the Tank or Healer box if you're playing a mage with tissue-paper armour, a pointy stick and a copy of First Aid for Dummies.

Although some people playing WoW think the introduction of that system ruined the game I and many others loved it (as a Warlock main it meant I didn't have to stand in a city spamming "Warlock LFG any level 60 dungeon" and I've always wanted a system like that in GW2. The LFG system we have is OK but it could be a lot better.

@"Pifil.5193" said:

World of Warcraft has a similar system, when you queue for dungeons you select the roles you're comfortable/willing to perform, Tank, Healer and/or DPS and it creates a group with 3 Deeps, a Tank and a Healer. Of course you're only allowed select roles your class is capable of performing so you can't, for example, tick either the Tank or Healer box if you're playing a mage with tissue-paper armour, a pointy stick and a copy of First Aid for Dummies.

Although some people playing WoW think the introduction of that system ruined the game I and many others loved it (as a Warlock main it meant I didn't have to stand in a city spamming "Warlock LFG any level 60 dungeon" and I've always wanted a system like that in GW2. The LFG system we have is OK but it could be a lot better.

Thanks! Didn't know that. Actually never played WoW since I was a bitter gamer from the original RTS version that wanted more of that style when the MMO came out. Though I feel I did myself a disservice to my gaming lore by not doing so, but...it is what it is.

@MachineManXX.9746 said:I guess I don't understand this request. It is already so easy to join or create a dungeon group in the LFG that we have.

I honestly understand your point. It is easy to find a party to play with.

I just think that by making it an automatic process more players would do the group content. I also don't think that they should add anything like this system for higher tier PvE content, but I believe that it would help increase the popularity of dungeons, at least for newer players.

@OsmoZ.1297 said:

@MachineManXX.9746 said:I guess I don't understand this request. It is already so easy to join or create a dungeon group in the LFG that we have.

I just think that by making it an automatic process more players would do the group content. I also don't think that they should add anything like this system for higher tier PvE content, but I believe that it would help increase the popularity of dungeons, at least for newer players.

When I said I don't understand, I really don't understand. What is an automated process? Maybe this is something I could get behind, I just don't know what this is compared to what we have.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'm confused. What 'matches' would need to be 'made' in PvE?

If you will notice, my post and the OP's post explaining what he/she was referring to, was posted at the same time. So, at the time, there was no explanation of what the OP was referring to.

@MachineManXX.9746 said:

When I said I don't understand, I really don't understand. What is an automated process? Maybe this is something I could get behind, I just don't know what this is compared to what we have.Basically instead of checking lfg for advertised groups (or advertising your own), you just click a button that puts you in a queue and creates a party from five randoms that have put themselves into the queue. Similar to sPvP matchmaking, just for open world/dungeon/fractal parties instead.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

When I said I don't understand, I really don't understand. What is an automated process? Maybe this is something I could get behind, I just don't know what this is compared to what we have.Basically instead of checking lfg for advertised groups (or advertising your own), you just click a button that puts you in a queue and creates a party from five randoms that have put themselves into the queue. Similar to sPvP matchmaking, just for open world/dungeon/fractal parties instead.

Ahh, ok. That could be a useful feature then.

Archived