Do not ship unfinished products

@Ashen.2907 said:

@FlyingK.9720 said:Starting with PoF, Anet has generally been pretty low effort, with resources pushed over to the cash shop. Mounts were awesome, but the maps and things to do in the maps are pretty lackluster compared to prior releases However, with mounts I feel as though their meetings are just about what new skin to push out to the shop while content isn't even getting a half-baked effort.

Excuse you? PoF was loaded with content. A ton of achievements and map to explore, many events to complete and things to discover. Can't say there is a single thing in base PoF that felt rushed or unfinished, with just as much if not more detail and content in the maps themselves than anything previously.

Excuse yourself out, HoT was superior content wise.

And yet others consider HoT to be not only inferior, but bad.

I felt HoT was bad for many months. THEN I finally decided to 'get gewd'. Now, I enjoy the HoT maps and every one of the story maps. HoT requires better personal skills than the lolling around the map like we did in the Tyria core maps. One must learn to anticipate and not just react.

Anet has been very good at gradually forcing us to learn to play better and learn more about being pro-active.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@zealex.9410 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:How can something be call unfinished when we don’t know what the episode was intended to be? For all that we know, this was exactly it.

This episode feels no different than those of LS3 or even the PoF maps. I’ve actually spent more time with this episode than with previous ones including most of LS3.

I dont think the episode was intented to ship with content not rewarding you upon completion. Or be unplayable for a day or 2.

I don't think any software is INTENTED to ship with bugs ... but it happens and it happens lots more with new content. If anything, Anet has a good reputation for shipping content without bugs, or at least fixing them quickly. The bottomline is that you need to adjust your expectations to the fact that bugs in new software are not some unreasonable thing to experience. The question isn't IF they are there, it's how long it takes to fix them.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:How can something be call unfinished when we don’t know what the episode was intended to be? For all that we know, this was exactly it.

This episode feels no different than those of LS3 or even the PoF maps. I’ve actually spent more time with this episode than with previous ones including most of LS3.

I dont think the episode was intented to ship with content not rewarding you upon completion. Or be unplayable for a day or 2.

I don't think any software is INTENTED to ship with bugs ... but it happens and it happens lots more with new content. If anything, Anet has a good reputation for shipping content without bugs, or at least fixing them quickly. The bottomline is that you need to adjust your expectations to the fact that bugs in new software are not some unreasonable thing to experience. The question isn't IF they are there, it's how long it takes to fix them.

Actually, quite often software is intentionally shipped with bugs. There are always known bugs that either can't be fixed in time or are considered minor enough that the software is shipped anyway. Normally these defects are communicated to the customers with the releas.

That said, I've never worked with any company that would knowingly ship software with defects as severe as the ones in this last release, it was DOA, no one would intentionally ship that.

@keenedge.9675 said:

I felt HoT was bad for many months. THEN I finally decided to 'get gewd'. Now, I enjoy the HoT maps and every one of the story maps. HoT requires better personal skills than the lolling around the map like we did in the Tyria core maps. One must learn to anticipate and not just react.

Anet has been very good at gradually forcing us to learn to play better and learn more about being pro-active.

Difficulty was not part of my dislike of HoT. I think that the fights in HoT are much better than those in the core maps. If anything the HoT fights could be a bit tougher.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:I'm fine with them taking their time with the episodes if that means there's more time to develop and perfect the expansion. Though there needs to be emphasis on replayability, but NEVER the kind that requires you thousands and thousands of a thing to complete.

Stupid swim speed infusions. Its like the developer who thought of how to implement it thinks people only play one character and didn't consider the literal decades it would take to make one max level infusion.

This is EXACTLY Anets problem as of late. They don't care for replayability, common sense, and they simply put stupid collections and tasks under events that never draw in other players (beside the ones on the same quest AT THAT TIME), and some of the bosses for PoF collections are a problem, because if it isn't a Meta event/boss/bounty.... or if it simply has crap rewards, then... other players will not join in and help finish the event. Which is a problem for some bosses....

This might be a stupid question, but...

Is there anything memorable in Kourna?Almost all of the other LS maps have something that really stands out as memorable. Bitterfrost Frontier's berry farm is maybe the weakest, but it's still memorable.The beetle doesn't really feel like a map feature, and a lot of peoples' joy with the beetle comes from getting it and then doing custom races on other maps... So what is there?

@"Zedek.8932" said:I think I've read somewhere that Arcane Studios - or whoever made DISHONORED 2 - was spending so much money into the game that it could not get enough revenue in return. A financial flop. Dishonored 2 is a beautiful, great game and probably one of my life's best games. But it was expensive as heck. Studios die and did die because gamers nowadays are so greedy and cheapskates. In our local store, there are the cheap 1.09€ bananas the kilogram. They are, of course, sold out quickly due to high demand. But nobody buys the 1.79€ bananas of higher quality. The customers expectations to quality and their will to spend accordingly is totally out of relation.

In another thread of today, the "Would you by a 3rd expansion", I had an encounter with exactly this mindset. "I buy it when in sale".It's that stance that is the reason why companies lower their efforts. It's a death spiral and should be obvious to everyone.

PoF was 30€. That is, for me right now, before my wage raises in October, 2.7 hours of work after taxes. I start at 6:00 AM and at 8:70 AM, I could have already afforded the game already that gives me months of fun. aNet is huge. They have to pay for staff, for power, for computers. When someone uses the soap dispenser in the staff restrooms, this has to be paid. And then people do not want to shell out €30 or want it for €15 and still complain about not having a scenery that takes so incredibly long to make? The assets have to be made, it has to be placed. Everyone who tried out a map editor knows how long it takes to get one single map done and looking decently. But that is only lo-fi, easy peasy content-making. Imagine you start from scratch. You have writers that are sitting in front of an empty piece of paper, or the designer just know the vague direction. The sound guys need to start doing their jobs. The composers, too.Then we have - at least in German - an outstanding voice-over. (I still love that the male Asura is voiced by the same guy that voiced the German Samwise Gamgee. Hearing Hobbits talk while playing an Asura is kinda funky!) All that is time and money. And yet so many people would not buy anything with a pricetag over €10.

We get a lot and a high quality game. When Deadeye has been screwed changed I quitted for 2 months. Went back to my Lalafell Blackmage, saw what FF14 suffers from (check the forums if you wish, it's all over the place) and I still saw how slow and sluggish Neowizz is with their already-done content. My Mascu ranger is now on stand-by due to that. I wish the players of today would finally start appreciating video games again. As art. As culture. Not something to consume while playing Netflix movies or reading Dulfy guides all over. Maybe then your content also lasts longer.

Excelsior.

This may be true to an extent, but look at the new God of War. That game is the best single player game I've played in a very long time, it has a very high quality to it, and it sold very well at full price. The problem people have with games is a lack of creativity in sequels. That game did better than a lot of the othe sequels because it is like playing a different game in terms of the camera, combat, story line and progression, but still holds the name. People want innovation, not more of the same thing with a new engine.

MMOs can't really do that, since it's just a continuation of the existing story, and a complete overhaul of the game isn't really feasible, but it is still something that will eventually lead to people leaving, and coming back, just to leave again. Luckily, GW2 seams suited for this eradic style.

Archived