What main profession to choose?

PanDemonAeon.6412

Hi all,

I bought the expansions not that long ago and I need your opinion regarding what profession to choose.I know in this game required to have alt characters, but I am planning to do that after I get my main to the end game content.When it comes to what I like to play, basically EVERYTHING.The most important thing is that the profession that has the most votes is need in every type of PVP & PVE, so basically I want to experience everything that Guild Wars 2 has to offer. When it comes to style of playing, I like everything, I tried every profession and they are all interesting in their own way, so that is not a big issue for me.

I hope you will all help me to choose this profession, because I am really tired constantly creating and deleting characters.

Thank you.

You did not gave very much information about what you really like. So it will be difficult to point you to the right direction.

If you are looking for the flavor of the months classes that are consistently top, take mesmer or elementalist or warrior. Those are safe bets but not necesarrily the most fun.

Personally once I tried revenant in beta I instantly liked it and even more now with the recent changes. Might not be the best but it’s going to the right direction.

Give us more info about your preferred playstyle in general, otherwise you’ll get random worthless suggestions.

Also don’t let people choose for you, level a class to level 2 and test their skills in the mists with the golems and npcs. Should give you a taste of what they can be and do.

Well, atleast the "viable in all content"-part somewhat narrows it down. Btw, people that pick Thief, Necro or Elementalist on the poll are trolling you in that regard. They are all viable/meta somewhere but useless in another part of the game.

I picked Guardian for you but that's just bias on my part. Warrior, Ranger and Mesmer are all fine choices as well. Revenant is not for everyone but they do have a meta build in every major area of the game currently.

That said, you shouldn't pick your main based on what's viable or meta. Pick a class you enjoy, and damn anyone elses opinion.

On the character select screen there is a profession grid. I may get this wrong, but its organised into light, medium and heavy armour. Then left to right, goes from least to most complex to play. I would say pick something from the left column. This leave you Warrior, ranger or necro. I really enjoy necro but they have some issues that need addressing. Ranger is fun, but I think Warrior has a little more versatility as things currently stand and I personally mained a warrior from beta for 2 years, it gives you a very good experience of the game.

My personal opinion, go Warrior. Game is very melee orientated, Warrior has good damage, a good range of varied builds and weapons, and the elites are all fun and good for all game modes. Not only that, I believe warrior has a place in every meta, give or take.

Warrior, Ranger and Mesmer are these that sre pretty much present in all modes.I took warrior because it has good DPS options and can help the group with dmg, but it is also very prominent in PvP and has nice durability which is beneficial for someone just starting out.Ranger has more verdatility but is mainly a support in group content (but a must have at that) and relies on AI management which needs some skill in sPvP and is not very welcome in WvW zergs. It takes some aggro from you though wjich is very nice in PvE and its utility can help out too.Mesmer is currently very strong and has support, tank and DPS options but its the most difficult of these 3. Currently it gets tuned down due to its over presence everywhere. Which might can have a negative impact on your expirience.

Don't Main....... Make 5 Characters and tailor them to various game modes. Classes don't have fixed roles, so any of them can change place in the meta at any time. That flexibility, will give you more to work with far better then trying to take one class deep into end game meta. Power builds can setup for cheap; exotic armor so you can salvage the runes, and crappy trinkets you eventually replace with Ascended. Once you have tokens to get access to vipers, you can start setting up condi builds.

Dedicate one build to WvW, one for general PvE farming, and something easy to put together for Raids. PvP provides its own gear, so just make a character.

Trying to make one class work for all game modes is awkward, because each demands different types of builds. With multiple classes, you can tune each to best fit into those modes, and expand them outward later. Thats how I went about thing; started a new class or a new espec with a game mode in mind, learn it on that, and then adapt it for other stuff later.

I voted necromancer because:

• its easy to level up with
  • its good in solo pve with minions and good in groups with scourge build
  • its good in spvp
  • its good in wvw

It's probably not the best one, but its welcome on all kinds of content as you asked for

Warrior, Guardian or Mesmer.

Why? Because if you factor for raids and WvW alone all other classes fall out in one of those 2 (and even guardian is close to falling out since DH is not that great for pve raids, just okayish).

If you now factor for spvp on top of all that, the remaining classes fall away.

Those 3 are what you should be looking at with the current balance. Doesn't mean one of those will be most fun to you.

Archived