arenanet stocks?

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:cant seem to find it or see any infomation.

also dunno where to put this.

Do you mean NCSoft stock?

so its just ncsoft? the main company? nothing under anet?

i know ncsoft bought triforge and is now anet, who are some of the great guys who worked in bliz before.

just wondering if they had a stock too.

Yeah Anet has been a wholly owned subsidiary of NCSoft almost since they started (well before GW1 was released). There's info out there on NCSofts stocks (including money from Anet) - it's not great for trying to estimate how GW2 is doing because there's a lot of information missing but I assume it's useful for NCSoft's investors.

I'd be wary of any statements from NCSoft about what Anet is going to do in future however, because even though they own Anet they seem to give them pretty much free reign to run GW2 as they like. For example someone at NCSoft claimed shortly after release that GW2 would get it's first expansion within the year, and that was quickly refuted by Anet who said they had no plans for an expansion. Some people at NCSoft seem to make statements based on little more than 'this is what an MMO typically does'.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@"Algreg.3629" said:are you interested in investing or is this a prelude of how the game does everything wrong/right? :)

i am an investor. i wanted to know how the company is doing etc. in a way if they had stocks, to support, i could buy a few. etc.

how they do the game, is not my interest since i am only interested in wvw. hehe

Some things I remember seeing from before

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/15068/ncsoft-q3-2017-earnings/p1https://massivelyop.com/2017/08/07/ncsoft-q2-2017-financials-blade-and-soul-console-guild-wars-2-drops-again/https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7vuah1/ncsofts_earnings_report_4q17_very_strong/https://mmopulse.com/news/ncsoft-q1-2018-earnings-report-shows-blade-soul-as-strongest-non-mobile-mmo-while-aion-sales-increase

The highlight of 2017 was their break out into the Mobile market, and that section of the company makes more money then the rest of their other games combined (see Q3 17). But there was also concern (from - because around mount-gate people started looking at the game's gem store sales performance, and noticed a couple of trends. There are spikes in gold/gem exchange (which is a good indication of something popular in the store), and one in particular correlated to the introduction of the Elemental Sword in BL chests. Similar, but not as strong spikes were also seen whenever a new item BLC exclusive item gets added to the table. Its pretty obvious a good chuck of those are key sales, and it seems Anet has been trying to replicate that initial success ever since.

But with the startling performance of the mobile market sector, and the past proof that a certain strategy that people loudly proclaim to hate is the best money maker they've had in a long time, there is concern they may adopt more of those strategies to see which ones stick. Mountgate controversy not withstanding, the adoption licenses were still financially successful.... which is exactly why the Desert racer series uses the same system.

So as a player we're stuck in this weird position where we want the game to be successful and profitable; yet our actions dictate abusive/sketchy sales tactics have proven effective, despite our protests. Armed with that knowledge, would NCsoft put pressure for their game's to adopt more aggressive strategies modeled after the mobile market? Or would they try to refocus more of the their developer assets toward the clearly more profitable mobile market while its still orders of magnitude stronger?

Given the situation, it would definitely be worth knowing what Anet is doing with the Gem store, because it does reflect on the earnings of NCsoft.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Algreg.3629" said:are you interested in investing or is this a prelude of how the game does everything wrong/right? :)

i am an investor. i wanted to know how the company is doing etc. in a way if they had stocks, to support, i could buy a few. etc.

how they do the game, is not my interest since i am only interested in wvw. hehe

Some things I remember seeing from before

The highlight of 2017 was their break out into the Mobile market, and that section of the company makes more money then the rest of their other games combined (see Q3 17). But there was also concern (from - because around mount-gate people started looking at the game's gem store sales performance, and noticed a couple of trends. There are spikes in gold/gem exchange (which is a good indication of something popular in the store), and one in particular correlated to the introduction of the Elemental Sword in BL chests. Similar, but not as strong spikes were also seen whenever a new item BLC exclusive item gets added to the table. Its pretty obvious a good chuck of those are key sales, and it seems Anet has been trying to replicate that initial success ever since.

But with the startling performance of the mobile market sector, and the past proof that a certain strategy that people loudly proclaim to hate is the best money maker they've had in a long time, there is concern they may adopt more of those strategies to see which ones stick. Mountgate controversy not withstanding, the adoption licenses were still financially successful.... which is exactly why the Desert racer series uses the same system.

So as a player we're stuck in this weird position where we want the game to be successful and profitable; yet our actions dictate abusive/sketchy sales tactics have proven effective, despite our protests. Armed with that knowledge, would NCsoft put pressure for their game's to adopt more aggressive strategies modeled after the mobile market? Or would they try to refocus more of the their developer assets toward the clearly more profitable mobile market while its still orders of magnitude stronger?

Given the situation, it would definitely be worth knowing what Anet is doing with the Gem store, because it does reflect on the earnings of NCsoft.

indeed. moba games now, even, are an e-sport. mobile legends for example.

moba format isn't so bad though, if the make pvp more like it. from no gear to geared up thru the system.

@starlinvf.1358 said:But with the startling performance of the mobile market sector, and the past proof that a certain strategy that people loudly proclaim to hate is the best money maker they've had in a long time, there is concern they may adopt more of those strategies to see which ones stick. Mountgate controversy not withstanding, the adoption licenses were still financially successful.... which is exactly why the Desert racer series uses the same system.

Minor, but IMO important, correction: 'mountgate' was about the original mount adoption licences which had 30 skins in the set and no way to buy just the one/s you wanted. The Istani Isles and Desert Racer sets are different because they include the option to buy a Mount Selection Licence and choose the skin you want. Yes it's 3 times as expensive but IMO it's still far better than having to buy up to 30 licences in an attempt to get the one you want through chance.

There's no denying RNG items generate a lot of money in games, no matter how much players complain about them, but Anet didn't simply ignore the controversy and continue. They modified the system to try and keep both those who like/don't mind RNG and those who just want to buy the mount skins they want directly happy.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"starlinvf.1358" said:But with the startling performance of the mobile market sector, and the past proof that a certain strategy that people loudly proclaim to hate is the best money maker they've had in a long time, there is concern they may adopt more of those strategies to see which ones stick. Mountgate controversy not withstanding, the adoption licenses were still financially successful.... which is exactly why the Desert racer series uses the same system.

Minor, but IMO important, correction: 'mountgate' was about the original mount adoption licences which had 30 skins in the set and no way to buy just the one/s you wanted. The Istani Isles and Desert Racer sets are different because they include the option to buy a Mount Selection Licence and choose the skin you want. Yes it's 3 times as expensive but IMO it's still far better than having to buy up to 30 licences in an attempt to get the one you want through chance.

There's no denying RNG items generate a lot of money in games, no matter how much players complain about them, but Anet didn't simply ignore the controversy and continue. They modified the system to try and keep both those who like/don't mind RNG and those who just want to buy the mount skins they want directly happy.

I wouldn't consider the situation different, since its just replicating the original situation plus their "racketeered solution" during that same controversy, rather then addressing concerns with the method by using a "different system". They are literally doubling down on their original stance, and thats what I'm taking issue with. The only difference between then and now is we're no longer shocked by it, and already decided if we individually tolerate it or not. I highly doubt anyone who favors choosy mounts is actually happy paying 3 times the amount, and would call it more "begrudging acceptance".

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@"Sariel.2143" said:Mhm ncsoft is relatively small. Just on first glance its not that great to invest in. (Ea or atvi is a safe bet)But if you really want to support them go ahead, altho buying gems and playing the game supports Anet more imo :)

NCsoft has 6.3billion EUR market cap, not exactly small

"Relatively small"Ea has around 35b and atvi 47b, even TTWO has over double , so in comparison it is :)

@Sariel.2143 said:

@Sariel.2143 said:Mhm ncsoft is relatively small. Just on first glance its not that great to invest in. (Ea or atvi is a safe bet)But if you really want to support them go ahead, altho buying gems and playing the game supports Anet more imo :)

"Relatively small"Ea has around 35b and atvi 47b, even TTWO has over double , so in comparison it is :)

6.3B is still like 10% of companies that produce actual value like Daimler or VW. Not sure in which world that counts as relatively small

If anything Activision Blizzard and EA are giants considering they produce nothing of actual value

If you could buy ArenaNet stocks, they would probably have a market cap of less than 800million

@Malediktus.9250 said:

@Sariel.2143 said:Mhm ncsoft is relatively small. Just on first glance its not that great to invest in. (Ea or atvi is a safe bet)But if you really want to support them go ahead, altho buying gems and playing the game supports Anet more imo :)

6.3B is still like 10% of companies that produce actual value like Daimler or VW. Not sure in which world that counts as relatively small

If anything Activision Blizzard and EA are giants considering they produce nothing of actual value

If you could buy ArenaNet stocks, they would probably have a market cap of less than 800million

I was comparing Developer stocks.And even so, a large cap is over 10b. Large cap stocks represent over 90% of the total U.S. equities market. In Korea its over 70%.So yes having Ncsoft is relatively small.

And were sooo off point right now. OP has got his solution.:)

Archived