Currency [question/request]

Ithilwen.1529

Attention Mods: I have been explicitly asked by customer service to bring GW1 questions to the official forum.

@Gaile Gray.6029

Because of the drop rate of gold in GW1, it will take months or years to acquire enough gold to complete a couple of the titles there. Will ANET sell currency for GW1?

Alternatively, I understand from a recent post that ANET tolerates transactions between players at our own risk. Does this mean I may buy Platinum from other players?

I think at least some of these titles were supposed to take months or years to complete. GW1 was a bit odd in that respect, they generally did a good job on making grind optional (you can get to level 20 quickly, get max stat gear very easily most skills are not that difficult to unlock) but then IMO went a bit overboard on the optional grind, especially for titles.

Normally I'd say the best solution now would be to adjust the requirements for the titles, but that seems unlikely with GW1 in maintenance mode. But then Anet setting up a system to buy GW1 gold from them would presumably also be a lot of work. But I think it probably is unrealistic to expect anyone to finish them as they are now, so if there is anything Anet can do to make it more reasonable I think that would be a good move.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Ithilwen.1529" said:I have been explicitly asked by customer service to bring GW1 questions to the official forum.

Maybe they meant wherever the guild wars 1 forums are?

There are no official gw1 forums, they do actually point people to these forums.

Thanks, maybe they should have a "Guild Wars 1 Discussion" board on here. Strange as that would seem.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:Because of the drop rate of gold in GW1,Don't rely on the drop rate of gold alone.

• In Kamadan, you can trade with other players. Folks will buy various weapon skins as well as other items, including mats for Nicholas the Traveler and unidentified rares.
  • You can sell mats to the relevant material vendors (although you'll also get better value by selling those in Kamadan)
  • You can also buy sweets, drinks, and party items for a lot less than vendor costs, especially towards the end of festivals

Also: check with your guildies. I had enough sweets, drinks, and party items leftover that I was able to help a bunch of friends get their titles.

it will take months or years to acquire enough gold to complete a couple of the titles there.That's intended.

Will ANET sell currency for GW1?No. ANet is never going to change anything about GW1 unless (a) there's an exploit or massive bug that needs fixing or (b) by accident while adjust something else. They are certainly not going to create an entirely new mechanic.

Alternatively, I understand from a recent post that ANET tolerates transactions between players at our own risk. Does this mean I may buy Platinum from other players?What recent post about Guild Wars 1 did you read?

Player-to-player transactions are already an explicit mechanic in GW1. The most common place to do this is in is Kamadan (as noted above).

The trading window comes with certain protections for those who take the time to use them (i.e. don't be hasty trading). Specifically: you can see each item being offered. Mouse over each to make sure it's what you expected, before confirming the trade. Double check that the amount of platinum is correct. Read the GW1 wiki about trading and potential scams.

(The same mechanic isn't used in GW2 specifically because scammers have always been able to fool people into being hasty and because GW2 has the TP, which makes Kamadan & P2P trading unnecessary.)

Ultimately, you do have to recognize that there's some risk in trading, regardless of the protections. At the very least, someone could offer to buy something from you for 5 plat that turns out to be worth 50, but you might not know unless you observe the markets. ANet can't help with that sort of thing.

Archived