Instant Death Downstate skill

Ronin.4501

@Bravesole.2684 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:There was once an entire upset in the Pro championships because a team prevented the other from rallying or dying for long enough to get all 3 points.Now lets add a skill that entirely deflates the strategic value of the death mechanic, because OP doesn't like it when other people are better at the game than he is.

I'll admit I expected more responses like this, rather than the constructive comments everyone else has given. I consider myself to be an average player at best. If I had a problem with other players being better than me, I wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in WvW. If I had a problem with dying in WvW, I would never run solo. Dying is a part of WvW. I've never had any issue with that.

@Ronin.4501 said: To offset the fact that an enemy player should still be given an opportunity to spike, the skill would have a 10 second cooldown initiated when the player is first downed.Reading comprehension. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

And my counterpoint to keeping a player in downstate being a legitimate tactic is that it's NOT a tactic I see being employed by players engaging in the larger fights or defending structures. It IS a tactic I see being employed by the thieves and mesmers (and more recently holos) who wait near enemy spawns and enjoy throwing siege on their dead opponents. AKA trolls.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:If it bothers you that badly there is a 'skill' that can be used: alt-F4

I have employed this tactic on occasion in these instances. And I hate to say it, but in some instances this has actually proven to be a quicker method to returning to the fight than allowing oneself to bleed out. But kitten if it doesn't make me feel "dirty" to do it!!

Understood. But just because it CAN be used as a troll tactic, doesn't mean it should have a counter to it.

It can be used as a valid tactic. Therefore taking that away is not a good option.

Not to argue your point, as everyone has their opinion on whether it is truly an intended tactic or trolling.

I do wonder if the devs view this mechanic as working as intended or trolling. I mean as a tactic it doesn't seem like it is adding value to the game mode given at the end of the encounter, one player likely dies anyways but it just seems to be a waste of time. I guess if the wasting of time ultimately contributes to your team winning the tick.

If I have downed you just outside of the capture circle of a camp, tower or keep, I am likely to let you 'bleed out' until I have capped it. I don't want any chance or at least a very small chance of you returning to contest.

This is when I am roaming or havocing mainly.

Die in the circle if you want to be stomped.

As I said before, having this ability can be used to troll someone. But just because it CAN be used to troll, doesn't mean it should go away.

I let players bleed out if they interrupt the stomp, because clearly they wanted to lie there for longer.The other reason I will let players bleed out is if im low hp or im on thief with no stealth immediately available. Some classes downstate abilities are stupidly strong and can literally kill a squishy while they are in the stomp animation.

Again I want to thank everyone for responding. A lot of you brought up valid points that I hadn't considered. I'll be the first one to admit that "No Downed State Week" was quite possibly one of my favorite weeks in my 6+ years of playing this game, so I might be a bit biased against the mechanic in the first place. ;)

That being said, keep the discussion rolling!! This game may not be perfect, but I still find the player vs. player aspects to be far more enjoyable than any other MMO I've ever played and I hope to be facing off against many of you for a long while to come!

@"Ronin.4501" said:I've noticed recently (and maybe it isn't all that recent across all servers?) that one method players have employed to troll enemy players in small scale fights, or more specifically 1v1s, is to leave the downed player in a state where they are unable to revive, but also won't spike or do enough damage to quickly finish the player so that it takes a much longer time to actually die. I realize that it is what is and there will always be players who enjoy trolling enemy players, but for once I see an opportunity to "fix" this type of play. My suggestion is to add an "instant death" or "seppuku" skill to the downstate abilities for each class (usable only in WvW and perhaps SPvP? Replaces the Signet of Agony skill only available in PvE) that allows a player to finish him or herself instantly. To offset the fact that an enemy player should still be given an opportunity to spike, the skill would have a 10 second cooldown initiated when the player is first downed.

Just a thought...

Its a common tactic to let your enemy bleed out. In spvp you gain more time in which one of the enemy team is useless. In WvW you can bait out his friends if they try to rezz and then you can spike them.

@Bravesole.2684 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:There was once an entire upset in the Pro championships because a team prevented the other from rallying or dying for long enough to get all 3 points.Now lets add a skill that entirely deflates the strategic value of the death mechanic, because OP doesn't like it when other people are better at the game than he is.

I'll admit I expected more responses like this, rather than the constructive comments everyone else has given. I consider myself to be an average player at best. If I had a problem with other players being better than me, I wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in WvW. If I had a problem with dying in WvW, I would never run solo. Dying is a part of WvW. I've never had any issue with that.

@Ronin.4501 said: To offset the fact that an enemy player should still be given an opportunity to spike, the skill would have a 10 second cooldown initiated when the player is first downed.Reading comprehension. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

And my counterpoint to keeping a player in downstate being a legitimate tactic is that it's NOT a tactic I see being employed by players engaging in the larger fights or defending structures. It IS a tactic I see being employed by the thieves and mesmers (and more recently holos) who wait near enemy spawns and enjoy throwing siege on their dead opponents. AKA trolls.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:If it bothers you that badly there is a 'skill' that can be used: alt-F4

I have employed this tactic on occasion in these instances. And I hate to say it, but in some instances this has actually proven to be a quicker method to returning to the fight than allowing oneself to bleed out. But kitten if it doesn't make me feel "dirty" to do it!!

Understood. But just because it CAN be used as a troll tactic, doesn't mean it should have a counter to it.

It can be used as a valid tactic. Therefore taking that away is not a good option.

Not to argue your point, as everyone has their opinion on whether it is truly an intended tactic or trolling.

I do wonder if the devs view this mechanic as working as intended or trolling. I mean as a tactic it doesn't seem like it is adding value to the game mode given at the end of the encounter, one player likely dies anyways but it just seems to be a waste of time. I guess if the wasting of time ultimately contributes to your team winning the tick.

Given the fact that it led to what's one of the most memorable plays in the history of the pro pvp scene... Even if it was unintended it became one of those bugs turned features.But i have no doubt that it was considered how that might be a tactic, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for that... Honestly, it's a matter of L2P, and thinking critically and tactically.

Also sad to read that OP has been playing for 6 years and just now has encountered this...

@"Ronin.4501" said:Again I want to thank everyone for responding. A lot of you brought up valid points that I hadn't considered. I'll be the first one to admit that "No Downed State Week" was quite possibly one of my favorite weeks in my 6+ years of playing this game, so I might be a bit biased against the mechanic in the first place. ;)

Yea, gotta admit that I was pretty interested that week.

Archived