I think we can all agree that FB is OP in sPvP. Lets discuss.

Omcrazy.4756

As the title suggests, FB is clearly OP. So I think we should all lay out our OP FB builds and explain how they work so we can know exactly what it is that makes them OP.

For... uh... science. Yeah. Definitely not to use them myself.

(but seriously, gimme your FB sPvP builds, I am an idiot when it comes to theory crafting)

Why is it OP? I don't see any analysis but a conclusion. And you expect us to agree with you? Is it OP because you can pop some nice number off a stationary golem that stay stationary ? I never had issue averting a burst from fellow FBs. Their bursts rely on people who are clueless enough to insist on staying on close range at all time, and also the prep takes abit of time to pull off. The visuals for the burst are so telling even a grandma on walker can dodge it. FB also does not any reliable option for cover condis. Unless you admit you play just like the test golem, lets move on.

@quaniesan.8497 said:Why is it OP? I don't see any analysis but a conclusion. And you expect us to agree with you? Is it OP because you can pop some nice number off a stationary golem that stay stationary ? I never had issue averting a burst from fellow FBs. Their bursts rely on people who are clueless enough to insist on staying on close range at all time, and also the prep takes abit of time to pull off. The visuals for the burst are so telling even a grandma on walker can dodge it. FB also does not any reliable option for cover condis. Unless you admit you play just like the test golem, lets move on.

So... did you really not get that I was joking and just asking for FB spvp build advice? Because I thought I had done a decent job making it really clear and obvious. Maybe you just stopped reading my comment after the first sentence, its fairly common.

Just in case it wasn't clear. It was a joke in reference to other posts about FB being OP and I was asking for build advice.

@Omcrazy.4756 said:

@quaniesan.8497 said:Why is it OP? I don't see any analysis but a conclusion. And you expect us to agree with you? Is it OP because you can pop some nice number off a stationary golem that stay stationary ? I never had issue averting a burst from fellow FBs. Their bursts rely on people who are clueless enough to insist on staying on close range at all time, and also the prep takes abit of time to pull off. The visuals for the burst are so telling even a grandma on walker can dodge it. FB also does not any reliable option for cover condis. Unless you admit you play just like the test golem, lets move on.

So... did you really not get that I was joking and just asking for FB spvp build advice? Because I thought I had done a decent job making it really clear and obvious. Maybe you just stopped reading my comment after the first sentence, its fairly common.

Just in case it wasn't clear. It was a joke in reference to other posts about FB being OP and I was asking for build advice.

you won't be able to play a dps spec in pvp sadly

FB sucks in pvp as a dps. Its just a burn guard with even less survivability.

It seems decent as a support but nowhere near OP. The high amount of quickness looks good on paper but the range is so small its near useless. The new F2 and F3 tomes are very lackluster - just like the old elite tomes from years ago. Sitting in a stance and spending several seconds spamming weak heals or boons with nothing to supplement them just isn't viable.

Short on-demand support such as shouts, symbols, meditations and consecrations allow you to provide heals, condi removal and boons while still being able to dodge, dps, cc or use other tomes. This is much better than spending 5-10+ seconds swapping stance, casting multiple weak skills and swapping back. Its a net loss of HP:Support in most situations unlike DH which has incredibly powerful on demand support virtues.

@Jacobin.8509 said:FB sucks in pvp as a dps. Its just a burn guard with even less survivability.

It seems decent as a support but nowhere near OP. The high amount of quickness looks good on paper but the range is so small its near useless. The new F2 and F3 tomes are very lackluster - just like the old elite tomes from years ago. Sitting in a stance and spending several seconds spamming weak heals or boons with nothing to supplement them just isn't viable.

Short on-demand support such as shouts, symbols, meditations and consecrations allow you to provide heals, condi removal and boons while still being able to dodge, dps, cc or use other tomes. This is much better than spending 5-10+ seconds swapping stance, casting multiple weak skills and swapping back. Its a net loss of HP:Support in most situations unlike DH which has incredibly powerful on demand support virtues.

That's been my impression so far. People are complaining about FB burn being OP but I think they are just the typical players who can't handle anything condi. Support bunker seems like it can have potential, seems like it could help defend against Scourge. But I haven't played with it enough to judge it (and am not really a support-minded player).

Just seems odd that FB is probably the 4th most complained about PoF spec over in the pvp page. Made me think that I must have been missing something. But you come to the Guardian page and there is almost no conversation about it in spvp.

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Threads like these is why the new forums need a downvote button

If its any consolation, I regret making my post. My intention was to make a joke in reference to how folks over in the pvp forum are calling for FB to get nerfed (not as much as SB, DE, or Scourge, of course) while asking people what builds they were using in spvp with FB. The "what build are you using" thread seems to be almost entirely about pve although I didn't read through the entire thing so maybe a comment or two was spvp focused. So I was hoping for some discussion regarding FB that was spvp focused.

I thought I made it really obvious in my short post that it was a joke but evidently people are so sensitive about claims that their class/specs are OP that even ones said in jest are met with hate. Fair enough, I should know better than to be facetious on the internet.

@otto.5684 said:

@Darknicrofia.2604 said:Threads like these is why the new forums need a downvote button

Amen. I miss the downvote :/

I like though how op claims something is over performing then ask people to explain how and why. It does not get any more trolling that that.

I like how the OP stated multiple times he was making a joke and was sincerely asking for build advice, even in the main post, and you didn't read any of it.

@Ars Valde.8693 said:

@otto.5684 said:

Amen. I miss the downvote :/

I like though how op claims something is over performing then ask people to explain how and why. It does not get any more trolling that that.

I like how the OP stated multiple times he was making a joke and was sincerely asking for build advice, even in the main post, and you didn't read any of it.

Which is probably why down vote button got removed ;-) people can't read.

i've been running this in PvP to good effect.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRApd7OnsAjNDBOCD8DhlHCL7EMfqPYBgGwHYveuPDoA-jZBHABNfEAA4BAU++DDcSAqvMAA

i haven't tried it out, but, Sage's Amulet is most likely better (EDIT: it's MUCH better). you have one free utility slot to choose from. if there's any necromancers in the match, Contemplation of Purity is required. you can switch out the runes depending in map/match up. i usually use Leadership for boon duration, but, i do use Soldier very rarely non-necromancers and pick up Stand Your Ground. Speed is also a viable choice as well if you might need to roam.

Sigil of Intellgience is on the mace because a critical strike on Protector's Strike is around 4k. plus, pulling out a tome counts as a weapon swap as well. Tome of Justice power modifiers aren't actually that bad either.

it's not really a DPS build, but, it's surprisingly survivable and puts out a good chunk of damage. it's basically unkillable, 1v1, unless you don't run Contemplation of Purity for necromancers inevitable boon corruption.

this is why i said Sage's Amulet would be better since a lot of your burst, even with 0 condition damage, comes from stacking burns via Tome of Justice. Manta of Lore is awesome for condition cleansing (2 per cast and you get a charge every 12 seconds) and i personally like Mantra of Solace over Shelter or RtL. it's a lot more healing when you consider each cast of Solace also procs Aegis, meaning you get 2k + 1k every heal. two casts puts it above Shelter for healing and using every charge makes it the best healing spell for Firebrand. you could run Weighty Words over Legendary Lore to reduce the recharge for mantras to 9 ½ seconds, but, Legendary Lore is flat out better due to an extra 8 stacks of burning or 50-something seconds of regeneration and 40-something seconds of protection.

EDIT: Sage's Amulet is much better. you lose about 10% healing, but, you gain so much more damage. you at least double your condition damage and on some abilities, triple it.

@nvmvoidrays.2158 said:i've been running this in PvP to good effect.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRApd7OnsAjNDBOCD8DhlHCL7EMfqPYBgGwHYveuPDoA-jZBHABNfEAA4BAU++DDcSAqvMAA

i haven't tried it out, but, Sage's Amulet is most likely better. you have one free utility slot to choose from. if there's any necromancers in the match, Contemplation of Purity is required. you can switch out the runes depending in map/match up. i usually use Leadership for boon duration, but, i do use Soldier very rarely non-necromancers and pick up Stand Your Ground. Speed is also a viable choice as well if you might need to roam.

Sigil of Intellgience is on the mace because a critical strike on Protector's Strike is around 4k. plus, pulling out a tome counts as a weapon swap as well. Tome of Justice power modifiers aren't actually that bad either.

it's not really a DPS build, but, it's surprisingly survivable and puts out a good chunk of damage. it's basically unkillable, 1v1, unless you don't run Contemplation of Purity for necromancers inevitable boon corruption.

this is why i said Sage's Amulet would be better since a lot of your burst, even with 0 condition damage, comes from stacking burns via Tome of Justice. Manta of Lore is awesome for condition cleansing (2 per cast and you get a charge every 12 seconds) and i personally like Mantra of Solace over Shelter or RtL. it's a lot more healing when you consider each cast of Solace also procs Aegis, meaning you get 2k + 1k every heal. two casts puts it above Shelter for healing and using every charge makes it the best healing spell for Firebrand. you could run Weighty Words over Legendary Lore to reduce the recharge for mantras to 9 ½ seconds, but, Legendary Lore is flat out better due to an extra 8 stacks of burning or 50-something seconds of regeneration and 40-something seconds of protection.

Healing on Solace is not more than RtL but its close. It's probably the optimal heal for your 1v1 build anyway.

@Omcrazy.4756 said:If its any consolation, I regret making my post. My intention was to make a joke in reference to how folks over in the pvp forum are calling for FB to get nerfed...

Edit your original post and change the title. Problem solved and you won't need to keep fighting this same battle.

@Darek.1836 said:

@nvmvoidrays.2158 said:i've been running this in PvP to good effect.

i haven't tried it out, but, Sage's Amulet is most likely better. you have one free utility slot to choose from. if there's any necromancers in the match, Contemplation of Purity is required. you can switch out the runes depending in map/match up. i usually use Leadership for boon duration, but, i do use Soldier very rarely non-necromancers and pick up Stand Your Ground. Speed is also a viable choice as well if you might need to roam.

Healing on Solace is not more than RtL but its close. It's probably the optimal heal for your 1v1 build anyway.

yeah, this is a pure solo queue sPvP build. i've be running something much different for organized PvP/WvW.

Solace is actually more healing if you use all the charges on the mantra, but, that also defeats the purpose of the mantra in the first place. RtL, with the suggested build, is 3,467 + 824 (5 pulses) for a total of 7587. Solace is 8,136 (2,064 (2) + 4008) plus three charges of Aegis which is 1,118 each (with Pure of Heart) for 3,558 for a total of 11,694, assuming you spread them out.

if you include the allied healing, RtL pulls out way ahead, but then again, you can't always guarantee you'll have 4 allies nearby.

EDIT: Sage is MUCH better as an Amulet. it double/triples your damage for a very weak healing decrease. 200/400 on Solace, 300 on the base, 6s regen and 200 on Aegis blocks.

Archived