What spec would you like thief to have next?

TorQ.7041

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

The whole magical and/or support ideas are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen.

for one thing, an

is different in this game from a

Druid says hi and disagrees with you.

Even if they were to make another support mid-line role, it would fall onto rangers or engineers without a doubt.

No he doesn't. Owned

Sorry but that shows that he proved himself wrong in the same post. Saying "HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen" then referring to the Druid is self-ownage - no need to point that out, but thanks for highlighting it.

no. you are wrong.the context was that it is highly unlikely a thief will get a support role.you said druid says hi as if I didn't acknowledge that there could be mid-line support, but I did. It will be engi or ranger.

so, you are wrong. OWNED. and own it, don't try to twist the narrative.

No. You are arguing that it is "HIGHLY UNLIKELY" for a magical Thief because they are adventurer, not scholar.

Then in the same post you use Ranger, who is an adventurer, not scholar, who has the Druid Elite spec as a support role highly using magic.

That is what you call self-owned.

I don't need to argue against your points since you're doing an spectacular job. Proving yourself wrong in the same post is simply epic.

notice how the thief and mesmer are the only classes that don't mention providing aid their allies.

they are selfish classes

Chronomancer says hi and disagrees with you.

Shadow Refuge, Merciful Ambush, Venom Aura, Shadow Protector, Thrill of a Crime, and Bountiful Theft also says hi and they all disagree with you.

I quit i will not aruge with you further more. It is pointless => OYou will constantly say that thieves have magic and i will constatnly prove to you they dontAnd as i said multiple times Deception is not magic. If you decieve someone you dont use magic you use skill and tricks.I am done with this BS. No more responses to you.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

for one thing, an

Even if they were to make another support mid-line role, it would fall onto rangers or engineers without a doubt.

No he doesn't. Owned

Sorry but that shows that he proved himself wrong in the same post. Saying "HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen" then referring to the Druid is self-ownage - no need to point that out, but thanks for highlighting it.

no. you are wrong.the context was that it is highly unlikely a thief will get a support role.you said druid says hi as if I didn't acknowledge that there could be mid-line support, but I did. It will be engi or ranger.

No. You are arguing that it is "HIGHLY UNLIKELY" for a magical Thief because they are adventurer, not scholar.

Then in the same post you use Ranger, who is an adventurer, not scholar, who has the Druid Elite spec as a support role highly using magic.

I don't need to argue against your points since you're doing an spectacular job. Proving yourself wrong in the same post is simply epic.

notice how the thief and mesmer are the only classes that don't mention providing aid their allies.

they are selfish classes

Shadow Refuge, Merciful Ambush, Venom Aura, Shadow Protector, Thrill of a Crime, and Bountiful Theft also says hi and they all disagree with you.

you have poor reading comprehension or your are just straight up ignoring words and context.

i said if they make midline support it will be what? place answer here__

i said read "core" descriptions

you are wrong bro. https://guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/thief/ read that, find the word ally, allies, or others

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

they are selfish classes

sure, there can be ways to indirectly aide, but thematically......

you got owned. LOL. now you just straight up dropping words out of my quotes to make it feel like you are right.

read some more books, not just memes. your comprehension needs some work

Dont bother with him. It is pointless => OHe will forever twist what you say and try to convince you he is right. Dont respond to him it is easier that way. Some ppl simply dont understand thief or they misunderstood it and now they play it for wront purpose and hope it will change in their way but it wont since thief is thief nothing else.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

for one thing, an

No he doesn't. Owned

they are selfish classes

you have poor reading comprehension or your are just straight up ignoring words and context.

i said if they make midline support it will be what?
place answer here__

you are wrong bro.
read that, find the word ally, allies, or others

they are selfish classes

you got owned. LOL. now you just straight up dropping words out of my quotes to make it feel like you are right.

It seems you don't even read what you post.

You said;"The whole magical and/or support ideas are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen. for one thing, an Adventurer is different in this game from a Scholar"

Then you contradict yourself in the same post;"Even if they were to make another support mid-line role, it would fall onto rangers or engineers without a doubt."

Guess what? Both Ranger and Engineers are Adventurers. That is called kicking your own as...behind.

I'm simply pointing out that it is NOT HIGHLY UNLIKELY since Druid exists.

If anyone is having a hard time reading, it's you. You don't even comprehend your own post.

I quit i will not aruge with you further more. It is pointless => OYou will constantly say that thieves have magic and i will constatnly prove to you they dontAnd as i said multiple times Deception is not magic. If you decieve someone you dont use magic you use skill and tricks.I am done with this BS. No more responses to you.

You have proven nothing. And Deception is magic and you have not disproved that fact seeing that Mirage has access to it. Trickery is trickery and stealth is not associated with that trait line despite the fact that you have been trying to make it so. Both stealth and shadowstep are Shadow Arts, an art of using Shadow Magic.

The undeniable fact remains true is that the Thief has been using Shadow Magic adopted from the Cathan Assassin's Shadow Arts which is a gift from the Human Goddess Lyssa.

Those are the facts, yours are just speculations trying to change the narrative.

for one thing, an

No he doesn't. Owned

they are selfish classes

place answer here__

you are wrong bro.

they are selfish classes

You said;"The whole magical and/or support ideas are
HIGHLY UNLIKELY
to happen. for one thing, an Adventurer is different in this game from a Scholar"

Then you contradict yourself in the same post;"Even if they were to make another support mid-line role, it would fall onto rangers or engineers without a doubt."

Guess what? Both Ranger and Engineers are Adventurers. That is called kicking your own as...behind.

If anyone is having a hard time reading, it's you. You don't even comprehend your own post.

highly unlikely =/= impossible

and so I acknowledged it, and i also pointed out which classes will get that option if it were to occur. Also is astral force magic? is star wars force magic?

also we are in the thief forums, the context was in regards to thief. I also amended that before you responded here:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

edit: yes, it was in that context...we are in the thief forums

You see?

But, it should have been obvious that it was in context to thief because we are in the thief forums, in a thief thread discussing the next thief elite.

I didn't say it's highly unlikely that druid exists. I said it's highly unlikely that support and magical ideas are going to happen (and again in context of the thief).

I pointed out the descriptions of the classes, the profession types, and their respective roles to further demonstrate how unlikely it is for thief to get that role.

Also, I pointed out why their core specs would not lend so well to the ideas of support.

A magical thief / shadow mage already exist in game.

You see, you are the one that has bad reading comprehension.

We are not in the all professions forums, we are in thief forums. That's the context.

You misunderstood, and it is confusing to me how you do not see that.

The words are saved in quotes....

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

for one thing, an

No he doesn't. Owned

they are selfish classes

place answer here__

you are wrong bro.

they are selfish classes

HIGHLY UNLIKELY
to happen. for one thing, an Adventurer is different in this game from a Scholar"

and so I acknowledged it, and i also pointed out which classes will get that option if it were to occur. Also is astral force magic? is star wars force magic?

also we are in the thief forums, the context was in regards to thief. I also amended that before you responded here:

You see?

But, it should have been obvious that it was in context to thief because we are in the thief forums, in a thief thread discussing the next thief elite.

I didn't say it's highly unlikely that druid exists. I said it's highly unlikely that support and magical ideas are going to happen (and again in context of the thief).

I pointed out the descriptions of the classes, the profession types, and their respective roles to further demonstrate how unlikely it is for thief to get that role.

Also, I pointed out why their core specs would not lend so well to the ideas of support.

We are not in the all professions forums, we are in thief forums. That's the context.

Spin. spin.

You said:"The whole magical and/or support ideas are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen. for one thing, an Adventurer is different in this game from a Scholar"

Now you're spinning it to:"I didn't say it's highly unlikely that druid exists. I said it's highly unlikely that support and magical ideas are going to happen (and again in context of the thief)."

Tsk tsk.

Unless you retract this statement;"for one thing, an Adventurer is different in this game from a Scholar"

You are self-owning yourself. This is the statement that still contradicts with your new spin.

Nice try though.

Here's a bit of Guild Wars history, a Paragon is a Warrior with a backline support abilities and a Dervish is Warrior with a frontline support abilities. If they can be support, a Thief has a very high chance of being one.

EDIT: typo

man please dont argue with him anymore i agree with you and majority of thief players do. please just dont bother with this anymore it is becoming really hillarious. Let him have his bubble please. His oppinion after all doesnt matter. just as yours and mine. Anet is going to get to decide what happens next. We dont know what is it going to be. We have like 80-90% probability of what it is going to be but we don know. Dont bother with this it is pointless = O :D

for one thing, an

No he doesn't. Owned

they are selfish classes

place answer here__

you are wrong bro.

they are selfish classes

HIGHLY UNLIKELY

You see?

Spin. spin.

You said:"The whole magical and/or support ideas are
HIGHLY UNLIKELY

Now you're spinning it to:"I didn't say it's highly unlikely that druid exists. I said it's highly unlikely that support and magical ideas are going to happen (and again in context of the thief)."

Tsk tsk.

Unless you retract this statement;"for one thing, an Adventurer is different in this game from a Scholar"

You are self-owning yourself. This is the statement that still contradicts with your new spin.

Nice try though.

Here's a bit of Guild Wars history, a Paragon is a Warrior with a backline support abilities and a Dervish is Warrior with a frontline support abilities. If they can be support, a Thief has a very high chance of being one.

Why are you leaving how the second part?

"Even if they were to make another support mid-line role, it would fall onto rangers or engineers without a doubt.

Shadow mage already exist in the game, it is called Mesmer"

????

You are doing it to make it look like I said something else.

We are in the thief forums....it's not a spin.

How the three class types operates are different so that was the first justification I gave. But, I also acknowledged the chance an adventurer would be a support primary role, although it would fall to ranger or engi.

You tried to be slick at first and said "druid says hi".But, I have to assume you stop reading after "for one thing an adventurer is different from a scholar". Because had you continued just a few more lines, you probably wouldn't have said that if your reading comprehension was at least high school level.

I won't respond to this particular conversation anymore, have at the last word.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

for one thing, an

No he doesn't. Owned

they are selfish classes

place answer here__

you are wrong bro.

they are selfish classes

HIGHLY UNLIKELY

You see?

Spin. spin.

You said:"The whole magical and/or support ideas are
HIGHLY UNLIKELY

Tsk tsk.

Nice try though.

Why are you leaving how the second part?

"Even if they were to make another support mid-line role, it would fall onto rangers or engineers without a doubt.

That statement further proof that Adverturers can be support which further contradicts your initial statement. That statement is not your saving grace.

Shadow mage already exist in the game, it is called Mesmer"

????

Mesmers do not use Shadow Magic. They use Chaos Magic.

Shadow Magic is exclusive to Assassins and Thieves through Shadow Arts.

You are doing it to make it look like I said something else.

We are in the thief forums....it's not a spin.

I don't have to do anything. Everyone can read for themselves how you owned yourself by making contradicting statements.

How the three class types operates are different so that was the first justification I gave. But, I also acknowledged the chance an adventurer would be a support primary role, although it would fall to ranger or engi.

That does not agree with your statement; "for one thing, an Adventurer is different in this game from a Scholar"

If that is true, then neither Ranger nor Engineer can be support. The existence of the Druid proves that your claim is false.

You tried to be slick at first and said "druid says hi".But, I have to assume you stop reading after "for one thing an adventurer is different from a scholar". Because had you continued just a few more lines, you probably wouldn't have said that if your reading comprehension was at least high school level.

You're trying to argue that Thief cannot be support because Adventurer is different from Scholar. Then stating that Ranger, which is an Adventurer, can become a support fully contradicts your argument against the Thief.

You can't have it both ways. Either Adventurer can be support or not. If not, then you're wrong since Druid exists. If Adventurer can be support, then you should welcome the idea of a Thief Elite Specialization, Shadow Mage or Arcane Thief, as support.

I won't respond to this particular conversation anymore, have at the last word.

That would be best since you only keep digging a deeper hole for yourself.

Magical themes are unlikely to happen, as well as support roles for thief.

Thieves are the most selfish class inngame. Read the wiki, the official, or generic descriptions of a thief and you will they are never mentioning what they do as in support of allies.

Every upgrade of thieves and their traits have all been logical and natural upgrades to the rogue flavor class.

There goes the support leg.

The shadow comes from being in the shadows, or stealth.

Mesmer uses stealth and illusion and tricks you.

There goes your shadow mage.

If anything expect mesmers to get daggers next.

A scholar is different from an adventurer.

Scholars are built around arcane arts while adventures are midline and built around skills and tools; some may use some magic or magic items but it is not foundational as it is for scholars

There goes the magic thief.

I looked at my post and the following posts I made and it does not say it is impossible to be a support if you are an adventurer.

No such clause to be found, though it does limit it, doesn't it?

Druids use an astral force that doesn't appear to be called magic.

They most likely will wielding an offhand sword, torch, or mace.

Maybe an axe?

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:Magical themes are unlikely to happen, as well as support roles for thief.

Thieves are the most selfish class inngame. Read the wiki, the official, or generic descriptions of a thief and you will they are never mentioning what they do as in support of allies.

Every upgrade of thieves and their traits have all been logical and natural upgrades to the rogue flavor class.

There goes the support leg.

The existence of these skills and traits proves you wrong;Shadow Refuge, Merciful Ambush, Venom Aura, Shadow Protector, Thrill of a Crime, and Bountiful Theft.

The shadow comes from being in the shadows, or stealth.

Mesmer uses stealth and illusion and tricks you.

There goes your shadow mage.

Mesmer does not use Shadow Magic. Implying that Mesmer is a Shadow Mage is absurd.

The only professions that have access to Shadow Magic are Assassins and Thieves.

If anything expect mesmers to get daggers next.

A scholar is different from an adventurer.

Scholars are built around arcane arts while adventures are midline and built around skills and tools; some may use some magic or magic items but it is not foundational as it is for scholars

There goes the magic thief.

There you go again. Rangers are adventurers who also employs Nature Magic, just as the Thief is an adventurer who employs Shadow Magic through Shadow Arts.

Necromancer's and Mesmer's magic are not built around Arcane arts.The only Scholar that has access to arcane arts is Elementalist, thus the Arcane trait line.

The Guardian is not a Scholar, yet they have access to magic."As the rest of our professions began taking shape around the Guardian, she started becoming more magical, and we brought in some elements from the protection Monk and Paragon from the first game. The current Guardian feels very magical in nature...To me, the Guardian feels a lot like playing a caster who wears heavy armor. " - Eric Flannum (Jan 2011)

You don't have to be a scholar to use magic.

Ranger uses Nature Magic, thus the Nature Magic trait line. They don't just use tools and skills.

The Ranger just keeps debunking your argument. I'm now adding the Guardian for good measures.

I looked at my post and the following posts I made and it does not say it is impossible to be a support if you are an adventurer.

No such clause to be found, though it does limit it, doesn't it?

Let's quote you again;"The whole magical and/or support ideas are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen. for one thing, an Adventurer is different in this game from a Scholar"

You don't even comprehend your own post.

Druids use an astral force that doesn't appear to be called magic.

Druids are Adventurers who use magic very similar to Scholars. Astral Force is the Force of Nature and is a specialized form of Nature Magic. Just as the Daredevil is a specialized form of Acrobatics. To command Nature, the Druid has to be magically attuned to it. The Druid was introduced in HoT by giving the Ranger the ability to magically attune to the jungle.

"Attune to the LandTrudging with heroic determination into the wild lands of the Maguuma jungle, the druid comprehends that the beauty of the wilderness conceals great danger. As they gain greater experience in Mordremoth’s domain, from the sprawling depths to the soaring canopy, they’ll be able to enhance their celestial form, glyphs, and staff skills to better take the battle to the heart of the jungle." - Meet the Druid: Ranger’s Elite Specialization (Sept 2015)

If the Rangers do not know Nature Magic, they will never be Druids.

ScholarScholar is a categorization for the three spell-casting professions. Being the most lightly armored, these professions are considered to fill traditional backline roles, but can also use martial weapons and can be built to be extremely efficient in close range combat. All scholars are practitioners and students of magic, an ancient art with which many are gifted, and which varies from control over life and death to manipulation of others and command over forces of nature itself.

AdventurerAdventurer is a category for the three medium armor professions. They specialize in use of precise weapons such as bows and firearms, and in most cases would belong to traditional midline roles in combat. Lore-wise they possess arts developed over centuries since the original Guild Wars, and are perhaps the most "modern" category of professions, capable of using firearms as weapons. They also have ties to practices outside of warfare, namely technology and espionage.

SoldierSoldier is a category for the three heavy armor professions. They take the role of traditional frontline combatants in the game, possessing heavy armor and a wide variety of close range weapons. Lore-wise they are distinct in terms of weapons, skills, combat roles and gameplay in general, they are characterized by their use of heavy armor, their preference of close quarters combat, and their mastery over the arts of war and leadership.

Druid

Rangers entering the ancient Maguuma Jungle may attune to the long-dormant forces of Tyria to become druids capable of channeling the might of the heavens, mending allies and daunting enemies. By gaining access to the staff weapon and glyphs, these masters of support bolster their allies with mystical insight into the natural world. Their new profession mechanic allows them to accumulate astral force to become a celestial avatar, a paragon of reactive recovery and strong sustainability in a dangerous world.

— Druid release notes

Shadow_ArtsShadow Arts is a core specialization for the thief that focuses on survival, defensive abilities, and stealth.

Stealth

Stealth, also known as cloaking or invisibility, is an effect which allows the stealthed character to be invisible to enemy players and avoid being detected by hostile NPCs.

(doesn't seem to be granted by magic)

Magic and SignetsSignets are special tablets, first developed by powerful Orrian wizards, that are able to hold magical spells for use by individuals otherwise unskilled in the use of magic.

Now that we got the facts and the links, let's review the quote in question for clarity:

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:

The whole magical and/or support ideas are HIGHLY UNLIKELY (for clarity this does not mean impossible and I would advice you review the definition) to happen.

for one thing, (meaning a key point, but not the end all) an

Adventurer

Scholar .(here we could have been referring to support or magic based because of "magical and/or support" claim, it was largely magical and so it shuts down magic thief)

Even if they were to make another support mid-line role, it would fall onto rangers or engineers without a doubt.(this line was because I knew that midline could spec support, but nothing in a thiefs kit supports it, so it shuts down support thief)Shadow mage already exist in the game, it is called Mesmer

Magical greatsword? See aboveClone Thief? See aboveStealthy support? See above

Maybe deadeyes use some magic, or the cantrips can be simply tricks - cantrip, but regardless it is unlikely that the source of magic is from within themselves.

because these two explanations seems to indicate that the magic is coming from somewhere else like an item.

Shadow Flaresays "throw an orb" .... what is the orb and was it created right then?

Shadow GustThis one is less ambiguous, but the source of the shadow magic is still questionable.

Cantrip Magic Items

After everything I read about thief they seem to use martial arts, and forms of deception. It seems stealth is a skill, and that any magic a thief uses almost certainly comes from an item or external source.

Also, if we look at the core traits which at least two would need to be picked to compliment a new spec, none of them appear to really be supportive or capable of bolstering a support role for thief, nor a magical role.

In conclusion, it is highly unlikely that thief will get a magical focused role in their next elite specialization, and it is highly unlikely they will be able to provide a support role outside of venom share.

It's not impossible, but because there are other classes more suited to those roles, and thief is the only true rogue style class in the game, I wouldn't find myself in Las Vegas betting against another natural progression in thief in favor of some radical re flavoring.

I do believe Thieves can use magic or could be able to do so, but for discussion's sake, let's say they don't. That doesn't mean that a support spec can't be given to the thief. In fact, around this forum I've seen many ideas of support specs that don't need magic. There are plenty of thief archetypes that work together to get their goal, pirates for instance. You just gotta remember that thief (main mechanic: steal) isn't the same as assassin (main mechanic: combos).

Just because you failed to conceive Thieves in support role doesn't necessarily means it cannot happen. Warriors, wearing heavy armor, with daggers are dumb, yet we get a Spellbreaker. In GW2, a heavy armored class Guardian can cast magic spells as easy as a light armored class Elementalist. The armor each profession wears has no bearings in their capability of casting spells. So making an argument based on class difference is moot.

In GW1, Assassins are using Shadow Magic offensively from the Deadly Arts tree (e.g. hexes), while Shadow Arts is Shadow Magic for defense. Dancing Daggers are spells in GW1 and seeing that Dancing Daggers applies Torment in GW2 shows that it is still a spell. Torment is an effect that is easily applied by magic users and very limited, almost non-existent, to physical professions like Warrior and Engineer. If the Thief is not allowed to use magic, giving them access to Torment doesn't make any sense.

What makes logical sense is that Thief infuses their daggers with Shadow Magic which allows them to apply poison using Lotus Strike without the need to apply Venoms. In the same way they are infusing their daggers with Shadow Magic that allowed them to go in stealth after using Cloak and Dagger. Shadow Strike, aptly named, is a Shadow Magic attack that allows the Thief to apply Torment and at the same time Shadow Step away.

There are so many evidence that proves that Thief uses Shadow Magic and Shadow Gust is another proof that the Thief can specialize in using it. Denying the overwhelming evidence is what you call dishonest.

I think thief will most likely get a support spec. I dont really like the idea of playing a support thief, but if it focuses on stealing boons and health from enemies and giving it to allies it may work. However something like that would be really hard to balance.

Weapon wise there seems to be a theme with 2 handed weapons, however I really dont like the idea of hammer, longbow, or greatsword as they tend to be slow. I also dont like the idea of shield because thief gets its survivability through evades, positioning, blinds, and a little cc, not blocks. I think axe or sword offhand are pretty likely except for the fact that they may feel too similar to rev. Torch offhand is another likely option and they might be able to make it work, or it could feel to close to members torch. I pray we dont get a scepter and spell based spec. It would be cool to get something completely different like a land based spear, but I think that is definitely not happening.

Regardless of what weapon they choose I hope the spec focuses on shadow steps and stealing from enemies. I feel that would be a way to offer a different role, especially in pvp, while still being true to the profession.