DakotaCoty.5721

@MoarChaos.8320 said:

@Inguiomerus.1504 said:Just to clear things up, are we talking about our own post avatars or the reactions that are below each post like Thumbs Up or Helpful?

We're talking about the thing to the left. Mine's a red tempest swirl right now.

Are you sure? 'Cause that's not actually what the quoted text says at all.

@Necrotic.7820 said:

@MoarChaos.8320 said:

@Inguiomerus.1504 said:Just to clear things up, are we talking about our own post avatars or the reactions that are below each post like Thumbs Up or Helpful?

We're talking about the thing to the left. Mine's a red tempest swirl right now.

Are you sure? 'Cause that's not actually what the quoted text says at all.

I posted the wrong quote in and can't change it out due to edit limitations. My bad!

@Flatley.1620 said:I understand uploading our own avatars isn't going to be a thing but what if we just had a URL that displayed the image hosted elsewhere?

Obviously there'd be restrictions like size and perhaps no anims...

Or perhaps that would open up abuse by griefers. Dunno, just a thought.

Someone argued that external links would be more harmful than uplaoding them to the ArenaNet's server themselves. Either way, no matter what direction we take we should have more avatar options.

I think we should definitely still push for being able to upload our own avatars. If the issue is people uploading 50 different avatars in a few hours, adding a 24 hour cooldown between changing avatars would alleviate that, and adding a minimum post requirement of 50 or so before unlocking custom avatars would help filter out the trolls as well.

I've seen the suggestion in several locations that we should be able to use the "portrait" shot from the party/targeted/NPC conversation stuff in game. I love this idea. It might take some work for ANet to be able to transfer said image to the avatar icon list and make it available only to the individual user, so I don't expect it to be a thing in the next day or so, but it's a very creative compromise between individuality and restriction to GW2 game art. Tricky bits will lie in how to give the player the ability to say "use my current portrait as my forum avatar" while in game and get it successfully linked over, and how to limit it so one person doesn't make hundreds of portraits to allow for all their alts and various hats worn ... maybe you can only have one portrait avatar at a time so each time you make one it replaces the previous one?

(I am not sure I'd want a direct copy over of the character selection window character icons, since sometimes hair disappears there and often they get very bleached in hue).

@Donari.5237 said:I've seen the suggestion in several locations that we should be able to use the "portrait" shot from the party/targeted/NPC conversation stuff in game. I love this idea. It might take some work for ANet to be able to transfer said image to the avatar icon list and make it available only to the individual user, so I don't expect it to be a thing in the next day or so, but it's a very creative compromise between individuality and restriction to GW2 game art. Tricky bits will lie in how to give the player the ability to say "use my current portrait as my forum avatar" while in game and get it successfully linked over, and how to limit it so one person doesn't make hundreds of portraits to allow for all their alts and various hats worn ... maybe you can only have one portrait avatar at a time so each time you make one it replaces the previous one?

(I am not sure I'd want a direct copy over of the character selection window character icons, since sometimes hair disappears there and often they get very bleached in hue).

Great Idea indeed. I would love to have an automatically generated portrait of my in-game main char as forum avatar.

@CornishRose.2815 said:

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

Skritt and Kodan and Quaggan avatars would be good.

90% of people will go for quaggans, definately would go for each colour quaggan (killer whale, pirate, pink, blue, green, etc)

All the wintersday plushies! I WANT MY GRIFFIN PLUSHIE AVATAR!

(Yes, I full understand I am a kid at heart)

No more quaggans :(

Archived