Inventory Management - Tips/Help Needed for a Newbie

So I have all sorts of stuff in my character's inventory. Soulbound trophies like broken claws, etc. I have weapons and armor that were soulbound so I can't salvage them. I've been destroying the trophies and soulbound items.

What am I supposed to do with all of this stuff? I'm only level 34, so I'd like to see if I'm doing it wrong so far.

I also don't always get my materials to deposit when I use the deposit materials option. (I checked and I am not full in my material storage on them).

I managed to store the same materials when I went to the bank and deposited them manually.

Any helps/tips for a newb?

Thanks all!

There are two things that you should consider everytime before you try to buy or sell items to vendors.

The first thing is to click on options button located at the top right of the inventory screen and always select Deposit All Materials. This helps out a lot especially with crafting materials and trust me, if you want to get the best gear possible, depositing the materials in your bank automatically will help you out a lot. The second thing is to use Compact. This helps you manage items in your inventory.

As for trophies, these can be many items like junk, tokens, currencies etc. If you see the item's name grayed out like the broken claws, those are junk items and should be sold immediately. All vendors have a sell junk button at the bottom right corner.

@Hoodie.1045 said:There are two things that you should consider everytime before you try to buy or sell items to vendors.

The first thing is to click on options button located at the top right of the inventory screen and always select Deposit All Materials. This helps out a lot especially with crafting materials and trust me, if you want to get the best gear possible, depositing the materials in your bank automatically will help you out a lot. The second thing is to use Compact. This helps you manage items in your inventory.

As for trophies, these can be many items like junk, tokens, currencies etc. If you see the item's name grayed out like the broken claws, those are junk items and should be sold immediately. All vendors have a sell junk button at the bottom right corner.

Right. I click Deposit and some of them don't go into the storage. Mats are not full. I was then able to manually put them in material storage at the bank. Is that normal?

@MeththeMadman.7420 said:

@"Hoodie.1045" said:There are two things that you should consider everytime before you try to buy or sell items to vendors.

Right. I click Deposit and some of them don't go into the storage. Mats are not full. I was then able to manually put them in material storage at the bank. Is that normal?

It depends what types of bags you have. Do you have any invisible bags or safeboxes? Anything in them won't get deposited or salvaged.

You can use the other types of bags to help keep similar things together. Oiled bags collect the junk, craftsman bag catches the trophies. I used to recommend the fractal equipment boxes to keep looted weapons together, but with the recent change to unidentified gear I'm thinking that it will be less necessary.

In addition to selling your junk to any vendor using the sell junk button, there are also times you'll want to sell other items that aren't technically junk. You can do this too simply by highlighting the item in the vendor list of your stuff and clicking the sell button (different then the sell junk button).

An even better tip is to use the trading post to sell stuff. Maybe you want to salvage your blue, green and yellow gear for materials. But you can also sell them on the trading post for far more than what the vendors will offer. This is especially true for rare (yellow) items and materials. This is a little off-topic, but the general rule is to salvage all blue, green and yellows below level 68 using basic salvage kits. Salvage yellows level 68 and above with mystic or master salvage kits if the price on the TP is less than the price of ectoplasm, currently around 19 silver. Sell yellows that are worth more than the price of ecto.

And of course, when your bank becomes full of a material, you can sell a stack (250 units), or the excess on the TP for gold. Don't just use the sell now price as you can usually get a better price by putting in you own offer to sell bid price.

If you're ever not sure what to do with an item you can check it on the Wiki. It won't always say explicitly how best to use it or get rid of it, but it will tell you the options. For example the page for Broken Claw tells you it's a 'junk' rarity item and lists no uses or specific vendors - so its only use is to sell it to merchants. (One thing to bear in mind here is the Wiki is written and updated by players so it can take a while for new information to be added. So if you get an item while playing newly released content you might need to wait for the page to be created and updated.)

My personal 'checklist' for getting rid of equipment I don't need is:

• Sell on the Trading Post - this will almost always get you a better price than selling to a merchant (you can't sell things on the TP for less than merchant value).
  • If I can't TP it I salvage it - materials are often useful or valuable.
  • If I can't salvage it I sell it to a merchant - there are only a small number of items where this is relevant and they're not worth much, but it's better than nothing.
  • If I can't do any of that I delete it.

There is a 4th option which is going to Lion's Arch and putting them in the Mystic Forge, but you need 4 items from the same tier (blue/fine, green/masterwork etc.) and get 1 item back. That can be rarer/more valuable, but it can also be soulbound and non-salvagable. If you have a lot of items you'd otherwise delete or it really bothers you to trash them it's an option but I don't think it's worth the hassle for odd pieces of low level equipment.

@thehipone.6812 said:

@"Hoodie.1045" said:There are two things that you should consider everytime before you try to buy or sell items to vendors.

It depends what types of bags you have. Do you have any invisible bags or safeboxes? Anything in them won't get deposited or salvaged.

You can use the other types of
to help keep similar things together. Oiled bags collect the junk, craftsman bag catches the trophies. I used to recommend the fractal equipment boxes to keep looted weapons together, but with the recent change to unidentified gear I'm thinking that it will be less necessary.

That's my thinking too. Invisible bags are useful but I always make sure they're at the bottom of my bag list so dropped items won't end up in there unless absolutely everything else is full.

(Incidentally you can also right-click materials and select deposit from the drop-down list, to save carrying them until you get to a bank, but the problem is almost certainly that they've landed in an invisible bag, in which case moving the bag further down the list should stop it happening in future.)

Archived