Living World Access To New Players

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:If 'new players' are already jumping into Heart of Thorns within a week or two, I think they will probably have more issues than being confused about the story because they skipped Living World Season Two and the associated maps.

If they would take the time to learn the game before jumping into HoT, they'd have the Gold to exchange for the Gems for Season Two; same goes for completing most of Heart of Thorns, and again, learning the new mechanics/Elites/etc. Not rushing through all content affords plenty of time and opportunities to acquire the Gold needed to exchange for Gems for an Episode.

Ah yes of course it's the players fault, silly me why didn't i think of that, the management running this show are of course never at fault they always make the best decisions which is why the game is doing so well and is slowly losing it's player base, revenue is down substantially every NCSoft financial report year after year not to mention they had to fire almost half of their staff last year including key devs and cancel not one but 2 unannounced projects and the list goes.

• Sad 1

And some folks here really believe they are actually too generous which is why they don't make enough money...Doesn't really explain why newcomers don't stick with the game and in reality the game is allrdy monetized to the point there is nothing else they could even charge for anymore.

@tetsuo.7318 said:

And ppl really think they are actually too generous which is why they don't make enough money...Doesn't really explain why newcomers don't stick with the game and the game is allrdy monetized to the point there is nothing else they could even charge for anymore.

My response was to @Inculpatus cedo.9234 's post prior to yours. Guess you ninja'd your way in between ;)

@kharmin.7683 said:

And ppl really think they are actually too generous which is why they don't make enough money...Doesn't really explain why newcomers don't stick with the game and the game is allrdy monetized to the point there is nothing else they could even charge for anymore.

My response was to @Inculpatus cedo.9234 's post prior to yours. Guess you ninja'd you way in between ;)

yeah sry i noticed it ^^ allrdy edited

@tetsuo.7318 said:

@tetsuo.7318 said:Yeah just had a few friends which i just got in to the game quit because of this. They bought the xpacks leveled to 80 and started HOT and then where completely confused on what's going on i told them they need to fork over 40 bucks for the rest of the main story to make any sense of it and part 1 is gone forever they just laughed and quit the game....

While I agree that the marketing for LW could be more clear, your friends would not have had to fork over any money. Nothing says that players have to buy/unlock ALL of the LW content at one time. They could have simply played the game and converted gold -> gems to purchase chapters one at a time.

Well what about not nickel and dimming them? Gold for Gems is not even a valid option for new players so most will not stick around to grind out the gems they need for weeks and months they just quit, punishing new players with paying for living world access which gets more every year is definitely not a smart move.

It’s not nickel and diming them to require them to purchase content. It’s content that was created outside of the core game and expansions. Anet offers a very generous promotion that gives active players these for free during a certain window. This does not entitle everyone at any time to get these for free.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@tetsuo.7318 said:Yeah just had a few friends which i just got in to the game quit because of this. They bought the xpacks leveled to 80 and started HOT and then where completely confused on what's going on i told them they need to fork over 40 bucks for the rest of the main story to make any sense of it and part 1 is gone forever they just laughed and quit the game....

While I agree that the marketing for LW could be more clear, your friends would not have had to fork over any money. Nothing says that players have to buy/unlock ALL of the LW content at one time. They could have simply played the game and converted gold -> gems to purchase chapters one at a time.

Well what about not nickel and dimming them? Gold for Gems is not even a valid option for new players so most will not stick around to grind out the gems they need for weeks and months they just quit, punishing new players with paying for living world access which gets more every year is definitely not a smart move.

It’s not nickel and diming them to require them to purchase content. It’s content that was created outside of the core game and expansions. Anet offers a very generous promotion that gives active players these for free during a certain window. This does not entitle everyone at any time to get these for free.

You seem to have missed the point.

Living story is part of the expansion. I paid for the expansion, I paid for full price for the base game. I paid the same amount as everyone else who bought everything at launch, yet got less because I was taking a break from the game when parts of LS came out.

This is the only MMO I know of that does this. Hell, the only game I know of. The only game where two people spend 120 dollars on exactly the same thing, yet have access to different content based only on when they logged in. It makes no sense, it's not a limited time thing, as anyone can play it whenever if they spend more money. It's not something that costs ArenaNet more money. It's part of the cost of the expansion you paid for.

With every other MMO, two people who buy the exact same content (expansions, DLC, whatever) get exactly the same content no matter how much they play, how often they play, or when they play. Though ESOs sub means you'll spend more overall, you get all the DLC. When you buy an expansion, you get the entire expansion. If you buy a DLC, you get all the DLC. It doesn't matter when you get it, you get the entire thing. With GW2, you only get the entire expansion if you log in when chunks of it releases. You have to stay on top of GW2, or else you'll need to spend more money, or more hours grinding. Not to mention, LS is THE MAIN story line. With ESO, you can flat out skip DLC and expansions you don't want, because everything is independent of each other. If you skip an expansion in GW2 and go to the next one, you miss entire chunks of the story.

If it was just story quests, then it would be more forgivable, but my main issue with this is gear and mounts are locked behind this. With HoT, I really couldn't use a meta build, because all the gear I needed either required a fucking ridiculous grind, or access to all of the HoT LS areas, and I don't have all of them. I have about half of them. That's what pisses me off. Hard to get stats, and exclusive mounts, which you are paying for by buying the expansion, requiring you to pay again unless you logged in at the right time. No other MMO does this shit.

It doesn't matter how good GW2 is. It doesn't matter how fairly priced everything else is. This shit only punishes paying customers for starting late, and taking breaks. No other MMO does this shit.

@tetsuo.7318 said:

Living story is part of the expansion. I paid for the expansion, I paid for full price for the base game. I paid the same amount as everyone else who bought everything at launch, yet got less because I was taking a break from the game when parts of LS came out.

No. It is not a part of the expansion. Paying for the core game or expansion does not entitle you access for all other content.

This is the only MMO I know of that does this. Hell, the only game I know of. The only game where two people spend 120 dollars on exactly the same thing, yet have access to different content based only on when they logged in. It makes no sense, it's not a limited time thing, as anyone can play it whenever if they spend more money. It's not something that costs ArenaNet more money. It's part of the cost of the expansion you paid for.

Wrong. ESO has DLCs which are not included with the expansions or the core game. You must purchase those separately or buy the monthly subscription pass. Other games have DLC content that is not a part of the original released game or expansions. The Elder Scroll and Fallout games do this with the DLCs. You’re not entitled to those for free either.

With every other MMO, two people who buy the exact same content (expansions, DLC, whatever) get exactly the same content no matter how much they play, how often they play, or when they play. Though ESOs sub means you'll spend more overall, you get all the DLC. When you buy an expansion, you get the entire expansion. If you buy a DLC, you get all the DLC. It doesn't matter when you get it, you get the entire thing. With GW2, you only get the entire expansion if you log in when chunks of it releases. You have to stay on top of GW2, or else you'll need to spend more money, or more hours grinding. Not to mention, LS is THE MAIN story line. With ESO, you can flat out skip DLC and expansions you don't want, because everything is independent of each other. If you skip an expansion in GW2 and go to the next one, you miss entire chunks of the story.

It’s odd that you listed expansion and DLC as them being separate but you continue to conflate them. You’re not entitled to content that was not a part of your purchase.

If it was just story quests, then it would be more forgivable, but my main issue with this is gear and mounts are locked behind this. With HoT, I really couldn't use a meta build, because all the gear I needed either required a kitten ridiculous grind, or access to all of the HoT LS areas, and I don't have all of them. I have about half of them. That's what pisses me off. Hard to get stats, and exclusive mounts, which you are paying for by buying the expansion, requiring you to pay again unless you logged in at the right time. No other MMO does this kitten.

DLC content have traditionally offered things not available. This does not mean that you’re entitled to them.

It doesn't matter how good GW2 is. It doesn't matter how fairly priced everything else is. This kitten only punishes paying customers for starting late, and taking breaks. No other MMO does this kitten.

ESO does this. For the price you would pay for a GW2 subscription version, and to complete all of the content, you could have unlocked all of the episodes.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

No. It is not a part of the expansion. Paying for the core game or expansion does not entitle you access for all other content.

Wrong. ESO has DLCs which are not included with the expansions or the core game. You must purchase those separately or buy the monthly subscription pass. Other games have DLC content that is not a part of the original released game or expansions. The Elder Scroll and Fallout games do this with the DLCs. You’re not entitled to those for free either.

It’s odd that you listed expansion and DLC as them being separate but you continue to conflate them. You’re not entitled to content that was not a part of your purchase.

If it was just story quests, then it would be more forgivable, but my main issue with this is gear and mounts are locked behind this. With HoT, I really couldn't use a meta build, because all the gear I needed either required a kitten ridiculous grind, or access to all of the HoT LS areas, and I don't have all of them. I have about half of them. That's what pisses me off. Hard to get stats, and exclusive mounts, which you are paying for by buying the expansion, requiring you to pay again unless you logged in at the right time. No other MMO does this kitten.

DLC content have traditionally offered things not available. This does not mean that you’re entitled to them.

It doesn't matter how good GW2 is. It doesn't matter how fairly priced everything else is. This kitten only punishes paying customers for starting late, and taking breaks. No other MMO does this kitten.

ESO does this. For the price you would pay for a GW2 subscription version, and to complete all of the content, you could have unlocked all of the episodes.

If the LS is not part of the expansion, and isn't something you are paying for by buying the expansion, answer me this...

Why do I need to buy the most current expansion in order to play the most current LS? If it's just free content for everyone, and has nothing to do with the expansion, or the money I paid for the expansion?

That's right, it's part of the expansion.

@tetsuo.7318 said:

If the LS is not part of the expansion, and isn't something you are paying for by buying the expansion, answer me this...

Why do I need to buy the most current expansion in order to play the most current LS? If it's just free content for everyone, and has nothing to do with the expansion, or the money I paid for the expansion?

That's right, it's part of the expansion.

Because the LS uses those maps and/or features from it such as masteries.

What you’re complaining about is essentially the same thing as complaining about a retail store’s sale that you missed because you were unable to take advantage of it. You’re not entitled to those discounts months later after the sale ended. It doesn’t matter if those discounts were 10%, 20%, or even 100%.

• 1 year later...

New player here, I'll be dropping this game, played for about a month so far. It's so ridiculous that an RPG has its STORY gated behind pay walls. I bought all the expansions in a big bundle, and I can't even understand the story because there are large time skips from xpac to xpac. I tried to stay with it, but it's just too lame, and I don't even care about the story as my primary focus lol, just feels so weird to have a service that puts the story behind a paywall for new players only, since veterans got it all for free. ;-; It was already hard enough getting into these systems as a new player, especially pvp. It seems like a spit in the face to have a story gated behind a paywall in an RPG even AFTER buying all the xpacs lol.

This game has so much potential but it's really hard for new players to get into. I am a veteran MMO player and it was difficult even for me, and I still had a ways to go, imo.

Edited by Codo.8412
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Codo.8412 said:

New player here, I'll be dropping this game, played for about a month so far. It's so ridiculous that an RPG has its STORY gated behind pay walls. I bought all the expansions in a big bundle, and I can't even understand the story because there are large stime skips from xpac to xpac. I tried to stay with it, but it's just too lame, and I don't even care about the story as my primary focus lol, just feels so weird to have a service that puts the story behind a paywall for new players only, since veterans got it all for free. ;-; It was already hard enough getting into these systems as a new player, especially pvp. It seems like a spit in the face to have a story gated behind a paywall in an RPG even AFTER buying all the xpacs lol.

This game has so much potential but it's really hard for new players to get into. I am a veteran MMO player and it was difficult even for me, and I still had a ways to go, imo.

Complaining about a paywall in a B2P game.  Really?  As a veteran MMO player, you should relish the fact that GW2 has no subscription model.  The studio needs to bring in revenue somehow and you can't find a way to drop a relatively small amount of cash to purchase the story?  Especially as you don't have to purchase it all at once and you can purchase it by exchanging gold that you earn in-game for gems.

Egad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

The game being B2P is exactly why people would complain about a paywall behind a story in an RPG game, I don't think anyone would complain about a paywall for content in a F2P game lol.

To get the rest of the story, a new player has to pay around $40. I've been playing for over a month and I have 40 gold, trying to make gold while doing the story that I can as well. It's currently 116g to buy 2 chapters of a living story, that you'll complete within an hour or so lol. The problem is that it deters new players from continuing the game, and not being able to play the story for the expansion you already paid for hurts.

Also most MMO's don't require a sub to play lol, only 2 do at this time, WoW and FFXIV. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Codo.8412 said:

The game being B2P is exactly why people would complain about a paywall behind a story in an RPG game, I don't think anyone would complain about a paywall for content in a F2P game lol.

To get the rest of the story, a new player has to pay around $40. I've been playing for over a month and I have 40 gold, trying to make gold while doing the story that I can as well. It's currently 116g to buy 2 chapters of a living story, that you'll complete within an hour or so lol. The problem is that it deters new players from continuing the game, and not being able to play the story for the expansion you already paid for hurts.

Also most MMO's don't require a sub to play lol, only 2 do at this time, WoW and FFXIV. 

40$ is really not that much. You not only get the story but also new maps and achievements. Some episodes even give you new mounts. 
And it is not the story of the expansion, it is the story of the Living World seasons. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

40$ is really not that much. You not only get the story but also new maps and achievements. 
And it is not the story of the expansion, it is the story of the Living World seasons. 

I agree, $40 is not a lot, but it's the idea that they try to milk new players for this money, which is turning a lot of people away.

And it is 100% expansion story. Every time I go into an Xpac, the story makes no sense because I seem to have skipped a large part of the time-line. The most recent example, I fight and kill B-god, baby dragon is saved but runs away. That's the end of the xpac. Next available quest > Dragon is back, fully grown, speaking to me, and apparently I know about them "having dream"? and they ate a necromancer or something..? lol. Makes zero sense. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Codo.8412 said:

I agree, $40 is not a lot, but it's the idea that they try to milk new players for this money, which is turning a lot of people away.

And it is 100% expansion story. Every time I go into an Xpac, the story makes no sense because I seem to have skipped a large part of the time-line. The most recent example, I fight and kill B-god, baby dragon is saved but runs away. That's the end of the xpac. Next available quest > Dragon is back, fully grown, speaking to me, and apparently I know about them "having dream"? and they ate a necromancer or something..? lol. Makes zero sense. 

How many exactly are turned away? You write “a lot of people” you have a number? They don’t try to milk new players but it is a company and they have to make money and pay their employees, shocking I know. How dare they  

The good thing is, you don’t have to buy all the episodes at once and you can just buy them with in game gold. 
Of course the living world tells the story between the expansions. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

How many exactly are turned away? You write “a lot of people” you have a number? They don’t try to milk new players but it is a company and they have to make money and pay their employees, shocking I know. How dare they  

The good thing is, you don’t have to buy all the episodes at once and you can just buy them with in game gold. 
Of course the living world tells the story between the expansions. 

You literally cannot play or purchase the living seasons without the xpac owned, they are part of the xpac story lol. I don't have a specific number, you may not know but MMO companies stopped revealing their player statistics awhile ago, around when WoW starting popping off in their first xpasion, but it's fairly obvious if you just look around that GW2 has a lot of potential but has a hard time retaining new players. 
And yes you can buy them with ingame gold. The important thing is that people who have been playing the game for awhile get this content for free, and new players are forced to purchase it whether with irl currency or ingame currency. As I said above, I've been playing for a little over a month and have 40 gold. It would take me manye months to even purchase LS1 (thankfully it's free atm) Having to buy relevant story content even after purchasing the xpacs is something I've never seen another MMO do, only with side-story type DLC., and even that is rare. I can only think of Destiny 2 atm lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Codo.8412 said:

You literally cannot play or purchase the living seasons without the xpac owned, they are part of the xpac story lol. I don't have a specific number, you may not know but MMO companies stopped revealing their player statistics awhile ago, around when WoW starting popping off in their first xpasion, but it's fairly obvious if you just look around that GW2 has a lot of potential but has a hard time retaining new players. 
And yes you can buy them with ingame gold. The important thing is that people who have been playing the game for awhile get this content for free, and new players are forced to purchase it whether with irl currency or ingame currency. As I said above, I've been playing for a little over a month and have 40 gold. It would take me manye months to even purchase LS1 (thankfully it's free atm) Having to buy relevant story content even after purchasing the xpacs is something I've never seen another MMO do, only with side-story type DLC., and even that is rare. I can only think of Destiny 2 atm lol.

I missed a couple of LS2 episodes because I didn’t play when they were available for free. I just bought them later when I had enough gold to buy them with. No problem.

I mean you don’t have to buy them all at once after one month of playing, right? You can just buy them when you have enough gold. 
or you can spend 40€ when you want to have them all it once and don’t want to wait. That’s really not a big deal. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

I think here comes that problem with weird advertisement from Anet where people think they are buying story while that story is connected to much more, like new maps, achievements, account development (like some mounts in LS4)... 

But I dont blame people who get disappointed / angry after buying expansions. 

It was confusing for me and my husband too and we both thought that we need to buy "just" little bit of story while we didnt realise back then that we will get lot of new content (except for LS2 that is really the best to buy with gems). 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

I missed a couple of LS2 episodes because I didn’t play when they were available for free. I just bought them later when I had enough gold to buy them with. No problem.

I mean you don’t have to buy them all at once after one month of playing, right? You can just buy them when you have enough gold. 
or you can spend 40€ when you want to have them all it once and don’t want to wait. That’s really not a big deal. 

As a new player, I am trying to find what to do in endgame. I want to finish the story because that's generally the first step in all MMO progression. I also care about the story cuz this game has an interesting way of story telling. Having to pay $100 on a 10yr old game just to play the full story in an RPG is predatory imo. Agree to disagree I suppose.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Codo.8412 said:

As a new player, I am trying to find what to do in endgame. I want to finish the story because that's generally the first step in all MMO progression. I also care about the story cuz this game has an interesting way of story telling. Having to pay $100 on a 10yr old game just to play the full story in an RPG is predatory imo. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Feel free to let me know what you are confused about ofc. Happy to explain to the biased if needed. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

They could do a better job about explaining that the expansion bundle doesn't include the Living World Story chapters. And that the Living World Story chapters serve as a way to move the story from the end of one expansion to the start of the next.

They should also offer a bundle that includes Expansion and Living World Story chapters for new players who want everything.

That being said, while ANet charges for the Living World episodes, to thank players for actively playing the game, they offer the story chapters for free from when they launch until the release the next one.

And I can't think of a single game that doesn't charge money for DLC of the same size. At least ANet lets players buy this type of DLC with in game currency and not just with real life money. So you either pay with money or the time it takes to earn the gold - this time makes the game populated which helps keep players playing as very few people want to play a dead MMO.

Edited by Seera.5916
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Codo.8412 said:

Feel free to let me know what you are confused about ofc. Happy to explain to the biased if needed. 

They're not confused, they're disagreeing with you. Since ANet does not have a dislike/disagree reaction, many forums user's use the confused reaction instead.

I disagree that it should be free in the first place, and the gold-gem conversion takes care of the rest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3