Do you think banners need more active parts to them?

Vancho.8750

Since the last update banners feel even more passive then before, I have several ideas and would like to hear yours.Do you think that adding an active button like the necromancer minions after dropping them would help?Or when you drop them their old skill 2 on the bundle.The other idea is to do a fancy twirl with a skill before dropping it that ends with the blast finisher. So when you drop Strength you do some damage and give some might, Discipline does some damage and gives Fury, Defense does a stun and gives protection and Tactics heals and gives pulsing condition removal 1 each 2 seconds.For the Battle Standard i think needs CD reduction. All of these could be part of the banner trait.

I am afraid Anet wants banners to remain boring, less mandatory and more optional (as they wrote it: to give greater role flexibility in group settings).Which would be a good thing, if warrior also had real DPS build with high bursts, comparable with Dragonhunter, Soulbeast, Weaver, Holosmith, etc...I think Anet wants to do that, but in the way that warrior can't use pure dps build and at the same time take banners for extra buffs to whole group.They are IMO heading good direction by the recent Berserker rework, but it is still not there. It is still missing something.

I agree though, Battle Standard CD reduction would be nice.

I would suggest moving Doubled Standards trait to Tactic traitline and instead of swiftness when picking banners up, every banner would also provide certian boon instead, to 10 people:Banner of Discipline - fury, 10/20 seconds;Banner of Strength - 5 sacks of might, 10/20 seconds;Banner of Tactics - regeneration or vigor, 10/20 seconds;Banner of Defense - protection, 10/20 seconds;Every banner should have specific effects when picking them up (when traited).

Battle Standard should have some special effect when picking up, too. Something more various.

But again, this would only promote banner warrior to be more mandatory than optional. So I don't think we will see much banner changes in the near future.

I think the stat boost part of banners should be rolled around to other professions too, and be relegated to their support traitline so there is multiple options for gameplay. Also they should have their own little twist to them like turrets on engi doing their thing but also giving the passive stats when using support trait or a minions on necromancer giving less stats but since they are mobile it would allow a heavy movement encounter for raids and fractals . I know it is homogenizing the professions but at the moment most of them are pigeonholed into the same game style.

Banners should have negative effects on enemies within their range and should be portable be a warrior.

Example> Static banners should have 2x positive effects on friendlies/negative effects on enemies compared to mobile positive/negative effects when carried by a warrior.

@RedBaron.6058 said:Banners should have negative effects on enemies within their range and should be portable be a warrior.

Example> Static banners should have 2x positive effects on friendlies/negative effects on enemies compared to mobile positive/negative effects when carried by a warrior.

lol, no. banners need less unique effects, not more and your idea for a portable banner mechanic would just end up with the same situation as the old banners

I feel they could use a flip-over skill. Something that pulses a boon or other effect, and makes the banner end sooner.

For example, the banner of tactics could have a party-wide stun break, the banner of defense could give protection, the banner of strength could daze enemies and the banner of discipline could give a 3s effect that gives guaranteed criticals.

no banners are fine (only need a cast time reduction and bug fix), but i think warrior needs utilites that grant a much bigger dmg increase to himself than banners do. those could be more active, the rage skills from berserker come to mind, but they are pretty useless and extending berserk form doesn't do much while it SHOULD increase the damage substantially.

@Ferus.3165 said:no banners are fine (only need a cast time reduction and bug fix), but i think warrior needs utilites that grant a much bigger dmg increase to himself than banners do. those could be more active, the rage skills from berserker come to mind, but they are pretty useless and extending berserk form doesn't do much while it SHOULD increase the damage substantially.

Cast time reduction seems to be the easiest/best solution at the moment. Banner skills should not have that big impact as we got used to over all those years, when I think about it now. That is the point of change and meta shifting after all. Warrior just needs competetive power and condi DPS build (which work outside of golem testing arena) and that's it. Maybe new defense support elite spec, to be able to fulfill all roles.Banners are still good as they are now in terms of what buffs they provide (even if I was ranting about it before). They can't be useful everywhere, all the time.I prefer shifting warrior roles, than keeping banner builds the only meta builds (in PvE that is).