Why is fear magic a thing?

Daniel Handler.4816

With the Skyscale collection we are reintroduced to air, water, earth, fire, ice, blood, death, spirit, and life magic. And we get three new terms, fear magic, courage magic, and growth magic. Growth makes perfect sense, courage sort of, but fear seems like the odd one out. Fear doesn't have the same representation as any of the other 11. It feels like they only chose it for duality with courage.

Honestly, "fear magic" made more sense to me than courage magic (if one were to take "growth magic" to be "plant/nature magic" at least). Zhaitan has a pretty heavy use of fear in his arc, so much so I figured it was a subset of shadow magic.

Honestly, the dialogue for that step was downright silly that I'm not really sure they thought it through. Pretty much every one was "x magic? Well, just immerse yourself in x and the magic will come, maybe!"

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Honestly, "fear magic" made more sense to me than courage magic (if one were to take "growth magic" to be "plant/nature magic" at least). Zhaitan has a pretty heavy use of fear in his arc, so much so I figured it was a subset of shadow magic.

Honestly, the dialogue for that step was downright silly that I'm not really sure they thought it through. Pretty much every one was "x magic? Well, just immerse yourself in x and the magic will come, maybe!"

The dialogue was silly. As for Zhaitan perhaps I'm just ignoring the complexity of fear since it is one thing whereas I consider courage to be what the Paragon and descendants use for a variety of effects.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Honestly, "fear magic" made more sense to me than courage magic (if one were to take "growth magic" to be "plant/nature magic" at least). Zhaitan has a pretty heavy use of fear in his arc, so much so I figured it was a subset of shadow magic.

Fear magic is a subset of Mental magic which surprising enough was not part of the list (Lyssa will be sad). Shadow magic is different though. Sure you can be afraid of the shadows but that's just a natural reaction to something unseen or incomprehensible and it's not the shadows that instill fear in your mind. Warrior Shout can also cause fear, but it is not Shadow magic.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

Fear magic is a subset of Mental magic which surprising enough was not part of the list (Lyssa will be sad). Shadow magic is different though. Sure you can be afraid of the shadows but that's just a natural reaction to something unseen or incomprehensible and it's not the shadows that instill fear in your mind. Warrior Shout can also cause fear, but it is not Shadow magic.

Based on the new types that would be courage magic instilling fear. It is a natural reaction to a threat, not horror.

If fear was a subset of mind magic it would be Mordremoth not Zhaitan who primarily uses it. That being said Deadeye display no usage of fear while Necromancer instill it through their death shrouds among other things.

I think that places fear magic in the death sphere.

I think you're misconstruing the fear effect with "fear magic".

Any thing can be magic as long it requires use magical energy to create the effects for the magic which then becomes the name of that Magic.

The one thing common about Magic names is that it is often based on the effects of what the magical energy produce such as Fear Magic being magic that focus on putting weak or strong emotional fear into a person no matter their mental condition to override all emotional responses.

Courage magic most likely follow this same concept but it puts a strong emotion of courage/bravery into a person that overrides all other types of emotinal responses so they keep up a strong mental state to prevent negative emotions such as fear and sadness from affecting them when it comes to judgement and actions.

Due to these things I would also say these magic can be name more as Psychology magic as it is designed to use magical energy to influence the behavior of a person no matter their mental state by applying a specific emotion or emotions to override all other types of emotions.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Honestly, "fear magic" made more sense to me than courage magic (if one were to take "growth magic" to be "plant/nature magic" at least). Zhaitan has a pretty heavy use of fear in his arc, so much so I figured it was a subset of shadow magic.

It's a bit weird in general, but think of the opposite about 'Courage' and Warrior shouts in general, such as For Great Justice granting Might.

I don't know if the lore in GW is shifting towards words, presences, etc having more magical influence but from an in-game standpoint I can kind of see the connection if I were to stretch it.

Ultimately with the Courage Egg, I think Gorrik was just aiming for maybe inspiration of words in a vain attempt to see if anything works?

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:

Based on the new types that would be courage magic instilling fear. It is a natural reaction to a threat, not horror.

If fear was a subset of mind magic it would be Mordremoth not Zhaitan who primarily uses it. That being said Deadeye display no usage of fear while Necromancer instill it through their death shrouds among other things.

Isn't the death sphere is Zhaitan's sphere?

@Sykper.6583 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:Honestly, "fear magic" made more sense to me than courage magic (if one were to take "growth magic" to be "plant/nature magic" at least). Zhaitan has a pretty heavy use of fear in his arc, so much so I figured it was a subset of shadow magic.

It's a bit weird in general, but think of the opposite about 'Courage' and Warrior shouts in general, such as For Great Justice granting Might.

I don't know if the lore in GW is shifting towards words, presences, etc having more magical influence but from an in-game standpoint I can kind of see the connection if I were to stretch it.

Ultimately with the Courage Egg, I think Gorrik was just aiming for maybe inspiration of words in a vain attempt to see if anything works?

"fear magic" can be the kind of magic that is mental/emotional manipulation"fear magic" can also be the kind of magic that creates the condition Torment

So my reply to Konig was a misunderstanding on my part, only because he used "fear magic" and I've applied it to a wrong context.

In this case, I do agree that fear magic (torment) is just shadow magic.

Yes. Zhaitan has two spheres, death and shadow. Fear magic is closer to death shrouds and the underworld than it is to teleportation and shadows. Thus it is probably in the death sphere. Mordremoth doesn't fear so it unlikely it is a subset of mind magic. Mental magic is not a thing; mental effects transcend schools from commands, to illusions, to certain curses.

When I think of fear magic I think of what fear does to someone: it gives them doubt, hesitation. living in prolonged periods of fear creates all sorts of mental and emotional problems and in effect can cause someone to wither away. Courage magic, by proxy, would enable opposing effects but if left unchecked can make one reckless and arrogant. Growth would allow one to change and learn, to mold together parts of what they have within along with what they have received from the environment to make a greater whole.

just my two cents.

Given the colour of the fear egg, it's possible that it's pointing towards mesmer magic. The subgroups of mesmer magic (domination, illusion, inspiration) are notably absent from the collection otherwise, and while mesmers don't have the fear condition directly (something I always thought was a bit of an oversight, tbh), a lot of mesmer magic is themed around instilling emotions in the target that causes them to hesitate.

Yes. Zhaitan has two spheres, death and shadow. Fear magic is closer to death shrouds and the underworld than it is to teleportation and shadows. Thus it is probably in the death sphere. Mordremoth doesn't fear so it unlikely it is a subset of mind magic. Mental magic is not a thing; mental effects transcend schools from commands, to illusions, to certain curses.

When Deadeye uses Fear magic, the effect is Torment.

Deadeye don't have access to torment. Also torment is not fear, it a reaction to mental or physical suffering, something mesmers/necromancers/mallyx can easily do via magic, warrior through injury, and thieves/iboga through venom/poison.

Deadeye don't have access to torment. Also torment is not fear, it a reaction to mental or physical suffering, something mesmers/necromancers/mallyx can easily do via magic, warrior through injury, and thieves/iboga through venom/poison.

Steal Resistance applies torment, although I'm not sure how that connects to fear. Guild Wars 1 had at least one Torment-like effect that was linked to fear, though.

I think it is worth keeping in mind that, like Confusion, most sources of Torment are magical (and poisons applying Torment may be magical in nature). I wouldn't say that torment = fear magic - since obviously there are nonmagical sources of Torment application and Torment wouldn't be the only form of it, but there could be a connection.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

Steal Resistance applies torment, although I'm not sure how that connects to fear. Guild Wars 1 had at least one Torment-like effect that was linked to fear, though.

I think it is worth keeping in mind that, like Confusion,
most
sources of Torment are magical (and poisons applying Torment
may
be magical in nature). I wouldn't say that torment = fear magic - since obviously there are nonmagical sources of Torment application and Torment wouldn't be the only form of it, but there could be a connection.

If fear magic = curses then perhaps. After all fear can't be its only effect, and you could group negative physiological changes and call it fear magic.

And it is because most sources of torment are magical that I think there is no connection. Torment is split across illusions, demonic energy (revenant/scourge), and necromancy. If there was some innate connection you would see it with mesmers, revenants, or the scourge (skills like ghastly breach which mention going into the RoT.)

most
may
be magical in nature). I wouldn't say that torment = fear magic - since obviously there are nonmagical sources of Torment application and Torment wouldn't be the only form of it, but there could be a connection.

If fear magic = curses then perhaps. After all fear can't be its only effect, and you could group negative physiological changes and call it fear magic.

And it is because most sources of torment are magical that I think there is no connection. Torment is split across illusions, demonic energy (revenant/scourge), and necromancy. If there was some innate connection you would see it with mesmers, revenants, or the scourge (skills like ghastly breach which mention going into the RoT.)

Like I said, though, Torment-like effects have been associated with fear in the past. Shameful Fear, an Assassin hex, was a precursor to Torment, as is the effect of the Aspect of Fear in the Deep.

Overall, though, I'd be inclined to point at mesmer. Partly because mesmer magic is otherwise unrepresented in the collection, partly because of the colour associated with the collection (purple = mesmer, when not being used as the colour of evil) and partially because a lot of mesmer hexes in GW1 were themed around instilling an emotion in the target that caused mental distress and/or hindered them from doing something (Arcane Langour, Confusing Images, Conjure Nightmare, Conjure Phantasm, Empathy, Frustration, Guilt, Hypochondria, Images of Remorse, Mistrust, Panic, Recurring Insecurity, Shame, Sum Of All Fears, and Visions of Regret). Given the duality of a lot of the collections, one could hypothesise that courage magic, broadly, deals with magic that promotes emotions that are beneficial to the recipient and promote action, while fear magic broadly deals with magic that promotes emotions that are harmful to the target and inhibit action.

Which mostly brings us back to the mesmer. They don't have the Fear condition specifically (which I've always considered an oversight) but they are probably the profession that makes the strongest use of conditions which apply a punishment that might cause someone to hesitate, whether by discouraging movement (Torment) or skill use (Confusion). In fact, the I think only other professions with access to both are thieves and revs - the former I've generally thought of as being a hybrid using a specialised variant of the mesmer schools of magic anyway, and the latter are a special case due to where their power comes from.

most
may

And it is because most sources of torment are magical that I think there is no connection.
Torment is split across illusions, demonic energy (revenant/scourge), and necromancy.
If there was some innate connection you would see it with mesmers, revenants, or the scourge (skills like ghastly breach which mention going into the RoT.)

Thief gain access to Torment through Shadow magic.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

most
may

Like I said, though, Torment-like effects have been associated with fear in the past. Shameful Fear, an Assassin hex, was a precursor to Torment, as is the effect of the Aspect of Fear in the Deep.

Overall, though, I'd be inclined to point at mesmer. Partly because mesmer magic is otherwise unrepresented in the collection, partly because of the colour associated with the collection (purple = mesmer, when not being used as the colour of evil) and partially because a lot of mesmer hexes in GW1 were themed around instilling an emotion in the target that caused mental distress and/or hindered them from doing something (Arcane Langour, Confusing Images, Conjure Nightmare, Conjure Phantasm, Empathy, Frustration, Guilt, Hypochondria, Images of Remorse, Mistrust, Panic, Recurring Insecurity, Shame, Sum Of All Fears, and Visions of Regret). Given the duality of a lot of the collections, one could hypothesise that courage magic, broadly, deals with magic that promotes emotions that are beneficial to the recipient and promote action, while fear magic broadly deals with magic that promotes emotions that are harmful to the target and inhibit action.

Which mostly brings us back to the mesmer. They don't have the Fear condition specifically (which I've always considered an oversight) but they are probably the profession that makes the strongest use of conditions which apply a punishment that might cause someone to hesitate, whether by discouraging movement (Torment) or skill use (Confusion). In fact, the I think only other professions with access to both are thieves and revs - the former I've generally thought of as being a hybrid using a specialised variant of the mesmer schools of magic anyway, and the latter are a special case due to where their power comes from.

Those hexes may not have persisted into gw2, but their attributes have. A Mesmer's torment and confusion are part of illusion magic, not fear magic.

Also the guardian is confirmed to have combined ritualists, monks, and paragons. Spirit and life were previously known, it seems probable courage is what they took from leadership/command/motivation. Because of this, and the fact they actually have the fear effect, I think fear magic goes with necromancers. It also completes the dualities of:

• blood-spirit
  • death-life
  • fear-courage

most
may

And it is because most sources of torment are magical that I think there is no connection.
Torment is split across illusions, demonic energy (revenant/scourge), and necromancy.
If there was some innate connection you would see it with mesmers, revenants, or the scourge (skills like ghastly breach which mention going into the RoT.)

Deadeye: "mastery of shadow magic" also deadeye, no torment.

most
may

Those hexes may not have persisted into gw2, but their attributes have. A Mesmer's torment and confusion are part of illusion magic, not fear magic.

Also the guardian is confirmed to have combined ritualists, monks, and paragons. Spirit and life were previously known, it seems probable courage is what they took from leadership/command/motivation. Because of this, and the fact they actually have the fear effect, I think fear magic goes with necromancers. It also completes the dualities of:
  • blood-spirit
  • death-life
  • fear-courage

The mesmer attributes aren't represented in the skyscale collection at all, however, and the 'Skyscale of Fear' collection is purple, rather than the greens, blacks, and reds (and yellows with Scourge) associated with necromancer magic.

"Courage" is probably largely based on paragon stuff, but the compatibility of paragon and monk abilities suggests that they might have drawn from compatible sources in the first place. Monks in GW1 did have some skills that had similar properties to paragon skills (and vice versa), so it's likely that both had elements of courage magic (which combined into the Monk).

If you've got one category which is essentially a combination of what was multiple attributes in GW1 (and GW2), then I think it's entirely possible that "fear magic" could be a mashup of GW1 illusion magic and domination magic, representing magic that generates emotions that hinder or discourage action.

most
may

Deadeye: "mastery of shadow magic" also deadeye,
no torment.

Steal Resistance from Revenant targets.One in Chamber (random), a chance to receive Steal Resistance.Malicious Sneak Attack.

most
may

Deadeye: "mastery of shadow magic" also deadeye,
no torment.

Steal Resistance from Revenant targets.One in Chamber (random), a chance to receive Steal Resistance.Under that logic aegis is part of shadow magic rather than faith. A stolen skill is not their's to claim..Malicious Sneak Attack.If physical attacks can cause torment, so can magically assisted ones, like dancing dagger.Moreover look at mallyx and scourge. Why would thief gain one torment skill if it was part of shadow magic.Also this discussion is about fear magic. Something thieves only get through necro. Not a good indication it comes from shadow magic either

Archived