Newly returned... Beetle & Skyscale

I've just returned after about a year being absent (more or less) and am just getting through the Season 4 LS episodes. (I was around for Path of Fire to complete all five of the expansion zones and I got my Griffon mount.)

I've just completed the third chapter in Kourna and am ready to start the beetle mount, but it looks like there are a lot of things that need doing. Since most everyone has basically moved on to other zones, am I going to run into issues collecting? I know there are at least one or two metas in Kourna, and while I did find a group doing one last night, someone made the comment that "as soon as all the scales are collected people will stop doing this map". I don't know what those are, I assume for the skyscale mount i've read about which I doubt I'll get to for the next few weeks. I guess I want to know if I'm going to get to the point, a year or so after the fact, where it's suddenly much harder to get these things done because I wasn't here when they came out. Thoughts?

(BTW I should mention that it looks like the beetle is required to unlock all of Kourna's map and that's part of the fun I have, so I definitely need to get that.)

@"Cameryn.5310" said:I've just returned after about a year being absent (more or less) and am just getting through the Season 4 LS episodes. (I was around for Path of Fire to complete all five of the expansion zones and I got my Griffon mount.)

I've just completed the third chapter in Kourna and am ready to start the beetle mount, but it looks like there are a lot of things that need doing. Since most everyone has basically moved on to other zones, am I going to run into issues collecting? I know there are at least one or two metas in Kourna, and while I did find a group doing one last night, someone made the comment that "as soon as all the scales are collected people will stop doing this map". I don't know what those are, I assume for the skyscale mount i've read about which I doubt I'll get to for the next few weeks. I guess I want to know if I'm going to get to the point, a year or so after the fact, where it's suddenly much harder to get these things done because I wasn't here when they came out. Thoughts?

You aren't the only person doing those collections, and people will help out anyway. It's going to be harder than when it was first released, but by no means impossible.

(BTW I should mention that it looks like the beetle is required to unlock all of Kourna's map and that's part of the fun I have, so I definitely need to get that.)

A beetle is required for a couple of Points of Interest, if memory serves, but it doesn't have to be yours. If someone else has busted the wall with their beetle, you can just go into the space behind by non-beetle means (foot, Raptor, etc.).

Word of advice for the Skyscale mount: collect map currencies (Kralk Ore, Diflourite, Inscribed Shards, Mistonium, Branded Masses, and Mistborn doodads) from each of the LS4 maps along the way because you'll need 250 of each one for one part of the Skyscale collection set. Best to be prepared.

All good to know, thank you. I figured the Beetle would be the one I'd have the trouble with... I'm hoping there are still enough people to do whatever I have to do in a group to get them done.

(I tried those PoIs yesterday that needed the beetle, but they were all closed... I hate it when the game does that. I loathed that PoI in one of the Heart of Thorns maps that you could only get to during one quest being up, otherwise it was closed behind a gate of vines; somewhere in the south if I remember.)

Beetle is easy. Griffon is more difficult, but doable. Usually if peeps in your guild can't/ won't help, if you call out in map chat for help and say you're working on griffon, people will help. They know it's a bear to get. Though now, with skyscale, griffon was positively a breeze in comparison...

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:Beetle is easy. Griffon is more difficult, but doable. Usually if peeps in your guild can't/ won't help, if you call out in map chat for help and say you're working on griffon, people will help. They know it's a bear to get. Though now, with skyscale, griffon was positively a breeze in comparison...

I did get the griffon at the time. I stopped playing regularly around the time the living story season came out (mostly because I was doing other things). If you're saying the Beetle is easier than the griffon, I'm happy. :)

@Cameryn.5310 said:

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:Beetle is easy. Griffon is more difficult, but doable. Usually if peeps in your guild can't/ won't help, if you call out in map chat for help and say you're working on griffon, people will help. They know it's a bear to get. Though now, with skyscale, griff eon was positively a breeze in comparison...

I did get the griffon at the time. I stopped playing regularly around the time the living story season came out (mostly because I was doing other things). If you're saying the Beetle is easier than the griffon, I'm happy. :)

Much easier than griffon!

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

Word of advice for the Skyscale mount: collect map currencies (Kralk Ore, Diflourite, Inscribed Shards, Mistonium, Branded Masses, and Mistborn doodads) from each of the LS4 maps along the way because you'll need 250 of each one for one part of the Skyscale collection set. Best to be prepared.

You may want to also make some charged quartz crystals, since you can only make one per day and you'll need a little stockpile unless you want to buy all your skyscale food, treats and grow lamp off the TP.

In order of difficulty: Skycale > Griffon > Beetle.

Skyscale is by far the worst, be prepared to go into it doing ten times the work you did for the Griffon, especially if you don't have Rune-Locked Doors done, etc. But, if you do have Griffon, then completing Skyscale is much easier, as it makes some of the quests a breeze.

Beetle is easy, and optional on top of that. Other players can break walls for you

Archived