Best way to organize squad and subgroups

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

@"steki.1478" said:The larger the subgroup, the less likely you are to receive 5 man buffs. If you had 6/7 supports in a 15 man party you'd receive random overflow buffs instead of having those 6/7 supports spread around 3x5 man parties. Missing a single stability stack because you werent close enough to guardian (because 4 other players of 15 man party were closer to it than you) can essentially kill you if you got pulled by mesmer for example.

Right, but in such a situation, you are compromising one party member over an entire subgroup.

I'm gonna put this out there that zergs, and WvW are chaotic in nature...and we are dealing with loads of hidden variables. We want to find the most realistic scenario to occur in a given situation with a fundamental understanding of what the variables are.

In the case of a player, which happens to be out of range of a Firebrand due to the inclusion of 4 other players in closer proximity to a firebrand (Said player can actually be within the 360 range) We can actually have such an example be shown in the picture in the post made above.

At that particular instance in time, that player pointed at by the black arrow will not be healed or buffed by anyone. So he can become compromised. But like i said before, i think it's actually better to compromise a single, non healing player than an entire subgroup. Keep in mind that the same scenario can play out under the 5 man subgroup setup, but in a different manner, in which a player is simply out of range of their own subgroup. There are MORE possibilities for this player to not receive heals in said situation than he would if there was a larger subgroup, because there are more opportunities to receive proximity heals the more open the subgroup is, and less opportunities the more closed the subgroup is. Here is an image that shows such a scenario

You may also want to note that the two healers toward the bottom of this squad will ALWAYS heal those in closest proximity to them, regardless of color change or not. Changing the colors (or rather the team in which the healer belongs) will drastically change the number of people who are healed in this particular instance. For example, exchange the Green healer and Pink Healer and swap their colors (which essentially swap their positions) And you'll notice that the pink player next to our orange player (the one with the arrow pointed) will now also not receive any heals/buffs. Note that these players are also very close to the tag, just not close to their respective subgroups.

You're forgetting that heals are spammed constantly and that boons have limited duration.

Your pic shows what's happening within half second, at any random point which generally doesn't mean anything for supports - they just spam random low cooldown and low impact skills. Person who's in the middle of the zerg wont die immediately if he doesn't receive heals in that one second.

The main problem of your idea and also the most important part of organising parties is the moment you group up on commander tag. That's when you use your most important skills and that's when you want every single person on tag to have same amount of same buffs. With bigger parties those buffs would be shared randomly and you can end up with half squad having 10 stacks of stability and other half having none.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"steki.1478" said:

I ended up finding the real reason as to why a 5 man subgrouping is better than a 15 man subgrouping (In some cases) which your responses helped me figure out. It has to do with the nature of Radius upon converging to a singular point;

As the players, and the healers converge to a single point (onto tag), in both 5 man and 15 man configurations, everyone will receive healing...this is true. However, in "more than 5 man" configurations, the radius of healing circles continue to converge as more and more people collapse onto the tag, until the radius of all healer's and their skills drops to that singular point, while in 5 man configurations, the radius remains the same, at the regular radius of the skills being used. This is actually an objective reason as to why a 5 man configuration is BETTER than a 15 man configuration, because of this drop off in radius that occurs. This is essentially what happens when you explain that half the squad get's buffed while the other does not. It's because any SLIGHT differentiation from the tags position can result in leaving the radi of the healing/buff circles.

Now, this is actually a good reason to run 5 man subgroups. I'm convinced...

However...This still doesn't discount 15 man configurations and i'll explain why. This goes back to the effects of Healing other Healers and how this provides better sustain overall to the entire squad. The truth is that healing other healers just never happens in 5 man subgrouping WITHOUT Proximity Priority healing. The only time you will receive healing from other healers in 5 man subgrouping is from OVERFLOW. And cycling back to the earlier argument, is that overflow doesn't occur when your group is constantly pressured and all your healing is diverted to healing your own subgrouping.

This doesn't happen in a 15 man group, in which the healing actually has the possibility of being shared to other healers due to proximity priority. Like the images above, there are millions of other configurations, in which some players receive healing, and some players don't, simply because of their location in proximity to their healers or subgroups. The main point that was being illustrated was that there are more configurations in which healers and players receive more healing in "more than 5 man setups" than healers and players receive in 5 man setups. This is also an objective truth which favors 15 man setups.

So my conclusions...There are pros and cons to both...and both mechanics co-exist with one another, and they both seems to have strengths and weaknesses. The Majority of people stick to the traditional 5 man setup, which favors converging onto tag, while 5manplus setups favor more oppertunity for survivability.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:It's not rocket science...

I don't think you give WvW mechanics enough credit. There's a lot of nuance, especially in super high tier gvg/raidvraid scenario's where one pushes are decided by the small details.

You create groups with 2 supports and 3 dps.Why? Because that's how many it currently takes to somehow keep people alive against a similar built group. Less healer means a more defensive setup will kill you, more healers means you lose to much pressure.

I'm gonna challenge your position on this. Let's say we have two raid groups. a 25 man zerg with 5 healers and 20 dps, and an opposing 25 man zerg with 15 healers and 10 dps. Who is more likely to win? and why? Do you have a definitive reason or is it just a hunch or a guess?

Groups are built ideally with 5 people per group.Why? Because of boon limitations (and blasting limitations), especially stability or to be more exact: primarily for stability and as much as you can get your hands on of it.Firebrand is the backbone of every support strucutre.Why? Stability.

Right, this was the discussion of the topic for the most part. But this kinda just tells us why we take firebrands, not why we order them in the subgroups the way we currently do so.

You seperate close, medium and ranged groups.Why? So guards and other support have an easier time standing at the appropraite range if need be.If not enough Firebrands are available you start making ranged groups and seperate warriors/spellbreakers into stand alone groups until guards are found.Why? Because this way ranged dps can tag behind or at least try to not be part of the melee ball. Warriors can operate independently and without sustain longer than most other classes.

Okay hold on a sec. I don't think this is ever a thing unless we are talking pug zergs. The ball configuration in every scenario is the most optimal formation for any zerg...regardless of what classes they are made of. There are so many reasons why ball configuration is the best (so much so they are referred to as the ("murder ball") but splitting up a group based on range just doesn't work. I can understand taking rangers, spellbreakers and thieves and placing them in their own subgroups because of their more unique off tag playstyles, but to divert healer positions away from the tag only makes the zerg as a whole less effective and more susceptible to being one pushed.

@"steki.1478" said:

I ended up finding the real reason as to why a 5 man subgrouping is better than a 15 man subgrouping (In some cases) which your responses helped me figure out. It has to do with the nature of Radius upon converging to a singular point;

As the players, and the healers converge to a single point (onto tag), in both 5 man and 15 man configurations, everyone will receive healing...this is true. However, in "more than 5 man" configurations, the radius of healing circles continue to converge as more and more people collapse onto the tag, until the radius of all healer's and their skills drops to that singular point, while in 5 man configurations, the radius remains the same, at the regular radius of the skills being used. This is actually an objective reason as to why a 5 man configuration is BETTER than a 15 man configuration, because of this drop off in radius that occurs. This is essentially what happens when you explain that half the squad get's buffed while the other does not. It's because any SLIGHT differentiation from the tags position can result in leaving the radi of the healing/buff circles.

Now, this is actually a good reason to run 5 man subgroups. I'm convinced...

However...This still doesn't discount 15 man configurations and i'll explain why. This goes back to the effects of Healing other Healers and how this provides better sustain overall to the entire squad. The truth is that healing other healers just never happens in 5 man subgrouping WITHOUT Proximity Priority healing. The only time you will receive healing from other healers in 5 man subgrouping is from OVERFLOW. And cycling back to the earlier argument, is that overflow doesn't occur when your group is constantly pressured and all your healing is diverted to healing your own subgrouping.

This doesn't happen in a 15 man group, in which the healing actually has the possibility of being shared to other healers due to proximity priority. Like the images above, there are millions of other configurations, in which some players receive healing, and some players don't, simply because of their location in proximity to their healers or subgroups. The main point that was being illustrated was that there are more configurations in which healers and players receive more healing in "more than 5 man setups" than healers and players receive in 5 man setups. This is also an objective truth which favors 15 man setups.

So my conclusions...There are pros and cons to both...and both mechanics co-exist with one another, and they both seems to have strengths and weaknesses. The Majority of people stick to the traditional 5 man setup, which favors converging onto tag, while 5manplus setups favor more oppertunity for survivability.

Fights don't last very long to optimize overflow heals. Most of the impact happens within 10-20 seconds and if you're far away from healer you're dead regardless of squad composition. Receiving important boons can be one of the main factors why you're not near your healer and the only way to provide those boons reliably to everyone is by spliting into 5 man parties.

If fights were chaotic constantly (which happens a lot in unorganized single-party-30-man-clouds) that means that

1) the squad consists of random builds;

2) there's no grouping up for stacking important boons;

2') there's not enough supports that can grant those boons and heals;

and mainly

3) there's no pressure coming from enemies (if there was, fights would last very long and every bad movement would be punished like I mentioned above) and when there's no pressure, there's no need to stay constantly around healers.

Boons and buffs have much higher priority than heals when it comes to forming parties. That's why you had 1 healer per 10-20 people (if any) before fb heals got gutted and before scrapper/tempest became overheal factories, but you absolutely needed (and you still do) 1 fb per 5 people. Passive healing that stays even after you leave radius of healer can still keep you alive for some time (of enemy pressure isn't very high), but not having access to certain buffs can heavily limit your capabilities, and most of those are still only 5-man.

@"steki.1478" said:

If fights were chaotic constantly (which happens a lot in unorganized single-party-30-man-clouds) that means that

Ah, when i was talking about how zergs are chaotic in nature i was referring to Chaos Theory i didn't mean chaotic as in unorganized.

Fights don't last very long to optimize overflow heals. Most of the impact happens within 10-20 seconds and if you're far away from healer you're dead regardless of squad composition. Receiving important boons can be one of the main factors why you're not near your healer and the only way to provide those boons reliably to everyone is by spliting into 5 man parties.

I agree with that ya. If you don't have stability, you get CC'd, you fall behind and then you die. I think that's a pretty common occurrence. Thing is that in my own personal experience, running with the meta standard 5 man subgroup with FB scrapper, but i find myself starved for stability a lot of the time...and other times i find i have stability just fine. It's hard to say whether its from being stripped or lack of application of it. But all i can give on this is my personal experience. So i agree with what your saying here...but i feel that it's just too much of a grey area for me to speak on.

Fights last as long as they do, sometimes for 1 minute sometimes for 3 hours (Yes I've had a fight that lasted for 3 hours.) And not just any rando fights....these are guild vs guild 80v80v80 blob fights with top guilds. It's really hard to say that "fights don't last very long" or that it "only matters for 10-20 seconds" because i just don't think its a valid way of thinking about any situation.

Anyway i think it's worth talking about and understanding why groups are setup like this.

@"JusticeRetroHunter.7684" said:I'm gonna challenge your position on this. Let's say we have two raid groups. a 25 man zerg with 5 healers and 20 dps, and an opposing 25 man zerg with 15 healers and 10 dps. Who is more likely to win? and why? Do you have a definitive reason or is it just a hunch or a guess?Why is that even a "challenge" lol. There is a reason why literally every commander will say there isnt enough dps. Because most fights are won in the first push by overwhelming and consistent force. Dps will usually die first and if say 5 of those 10 dps are dead in the first push as opposed to 5 of the 20 dps... you have an utterly crippled force that wont do any damage vs a mostly intact force.

Of course it matters on skill, awareness and the leadership of both groups - the dps of 10 people can easily exceed 20 - but lets assume that they're not idiots.

The only advantage the healer heavy group will have is vs pug clouds that cant focus hard enough to break through them while they will resbot anyone down with more ease.

@Cyninja.2954 said:It's not rocket science...

I don't think you give WvW mechanics enough credit. There's a lot of nuance, especially in super high tier gvg/raidvraid scenario's where one pushes are decided by the small details.

The nuance comes in when guilds run special off tactics or off meta things (which if successful might become meta). You were asking what is the "most efficient and optimal" way right now. Boons and healing priorities are very clear. Necessity for boons and support are very clear. Again, it's not rocket science.

You create groups with 2 supports and 3 dps.
Why? Because that's how many it currently takes to somehow keep people alive against a similar built group. Less healer means a more defensive setup will kill you, more healers means you lose to much pressure.

I'm gonna challenge your position on this. Let's say we have two raid groups. a 25 man zerg with 5 healers and 20 dps, and an opposing 25 man zerg with 15 healers and 10 dps. Who is more likely to win? and why? Do you have a definitive reason or is it just a hunch or a guess?

15 Healers and 10 dps win against 5 healers and 20 dps for players of equal skill (if the makeup if similar between damage classes and healers) and if no advantage is given to either side like first strike from stealth.

The advantage of having more dps is directly negated by not being able to use skills due to lack of stability. Pressure from 20 dps is negated by more reflect bubbles, condition cleanse, aegis, etc. for the group with more support. Worst case, the side with more support just pirate ships the opposition in a war of attrition.

Overall reason: it doesn't take that much damage to kill a player. As such it makes no difference if you have 10 or 50 people kill you. Support classes increase the amount of players needed but past a certain point you have enough damage. 10 players are more than enough to decimate a group without sufficient support.

Groups are built ideally with 5 people per group.
Why? Because of boon limitations (and blasting limitations), especially stability or to be more exact: primarily for stability and as much as you can get your hands on of it.
Firebrand is the backbone of every support strucutre.
Why? Stability.

Right, this was the discussion of the topic for the most part. But this kinda just tells us why we take firebrands, not why we order them in the subgroups the way we currently do so.

I literally told you: it's to ensure that stability goes to every member in the squad. Stability is a boon that stacks. If more than 5 people are in the Firebrands subgroup it is very well possible that the same person gets multiple stacks and someone goes empty.

You seperate close, medium and ranged groups.
Why? So guards and other support have an easier time standing at the appropraite range if need be.
If not enough Firebrands are available you start making ranged groups and seperate warriors/spellbreakers into stand alone groups until guards are found.
Why? Because this way ranged dps can tag behind or at least try to not be part of the melee ball. Warriors can operate independently and without sustain longer than most other classes.

Okay hold on a sec. I don't think this is ever a thing unless we are talking pug zergs. The ball configuration in every scenario is the most optimal formation for any zerg...regardless of what classes they are made of. There are so many reasons why ball configuration is the best (so much so they are referred to as the ("murder ball") but splitting up a group based on range just doesn't work.

Incorrect. If damage classes are present wihtout support at the very front, they provide rallies to the enemy team because they WILL go down. That is the situation given. Without an ideal setup, ranged dps can not engage as freely. Also yes, this is for PUG fights since no GvG guild would ever understack on supports.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:I can understand taking rangers, spellbreakers and thieves and placing them in their own subgroups because of their more unique off tag playstyles, but to divert healer positions away from the tag only makes the zerg as a whole less effective and more susceptible to being one pushed.

I wouldn't take rangers for anything blob related. You are not diverting healers away from tag, not sure where you read that. If you lack healers you divert classes who lack support in squad away from the danger zone as best as possible by factors of range and selfsustain.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:If you don't have stability, you get CC'd, you fall behind and then you die.

That is one of its uses. The way bigger one is: stability prevents loss of character control. It's not only movement and positioning.

@Cyninja.2954 said:The advantage of having more dps is directly negated by not being able to use skills due to lack of stability. Pressure from 20 dps is negated by more reflect bubbles, condition cleanse, aegis, etc. for the group with more support. Worst case, the side with more support just pirate ships the opposition in a war of attrition.

Overall reason: it doesn't take that much damage to kill a player. As such it makes no difference if you have 10 or 50 people kill you. Support classes increase the amount of players needed but past a certain point you have enough damage. 10 players are more than enough to decimate a group without sufficient support.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:Why is that even a "challenge" lol. There is a reason why literally every commander will say there isnt enough dps. Because most fights are won in the first push by overwhelming and consistent force. Dps will usually die first and if say 5 of those 10 dps are dead in the first push as opposed to 5 of the 20 dps... you have an utterly crippled force that wont do any damage vs a mostly intact force.

Of course it matters on skill, awareness and the leadership of both groups - the dps of 10 people can easily exceed 20 - but lets assume that they're not idiots.

The only advantage the healer heavy group will have is vs pug clouds that cant focus hard enough to break through them while they will resbot anyone down with more ease.

So already off the bat we have two conflicting opinions on this question. This is why I chose to challenge your stance on your opinion

Now I actually agree with you cyninja. The answer you gave makes the most sense objectively. But you can understand why Dawdler said what he said.

I’ve been in both situations...running 5 healers in 25 man groups with 20 DPS and 25 man groups with nearly 3 healers for every 2 dps. In both situations we’ve rolled over many zergs both organized and unorganized. The truth is that the answer isn’t always very clear as to which composition is actually better.

We can analyze such compositions from an objective standpoint which is what I’m really getting at. It’s not rocket science...but at least everyone can agree that a rockets obey Newton’s laws of motion. Meanwhile everyone has different answers for the compositions of WVW, because most of the meta is just derived from opinions and subjective view points. I’m here attempting to challenge the status quo in order to extrapolate objective truths about the game mode which ultimately helps not just myself but others to make better decisions to gain more kills, win more games and avoid deaths.

Anyway, my stance on the question is that it comes down to what you said about killing players. One way of thinking about is that the damage and healing of both zergs have an equilibrium point. If 20 dPS are doing 2kdps, that’s a total of 40kdps inflicted to the enemy Zerg. If the opposing Zerg with 15 healers are healing for 5khps than they out heal the enemy zergs damage by 25kHPs (total 75khps) Due to the nature of healing he maximum amount of heal before it becomes overheal is also 40Khps.

Once the healing amount drops below the DPS amount your Zerg ends up losing the fight.

DPS can also be concentrated on less players. So if you have 10 dPS focusing a single person with 2kdps each, that single player will take 20kdps. In 5 man compositions, you would add the 5khps + a maximum potential over healing, which has a maximum of 25khps. That means that in order to kill a single person, you would need an additional 10k dPS to be concentrated on that player before they become comparable to damage.

@steki.1478 said:

@steki.1478 said:1 FB per 5 people

1-2 heralds per 5 people1-2 scourges per 5 people

1-2 scrappers per 10 people1 spellbreaker per 10 people1 weaver per 10 people

1 tempest per 15 people

1-2 chrono per any sized squad (?)

First 3 are mandatory in each party. Each party also needs 1 scrapper or 1 tempest, preferably not both and preferably scrapper over tempest until you have more than enough scrappers (ratio of scrapper:tempest should be around 3:1 for example). Chrono is used for utility, but it's a bit questionable after last patch.

Spellbreaker favors small scale and in case of 15 man squads it should always be in the squad, 2-3 at least. Even berserkers and daredevils can be good in those. Weaver is usually a waste because its damage is too slow and unreliable compared to warr and daredevil.

Weaver favors large scale fights because they usually revolve around pirateship and weaver loves that. In case of 15 man squads I wouldnt use more than 2 weavers if any (unless very experienced), another class is usually more useful. If you have more than 30 people in the squad then you'd definitely like weavers instead of melee dps.

party example:

FB, HER, SCG, healer, damage/utility

healer = tempest, scrapper

damage = weaver, daredevil, spellbreaker, berserker, scourge, herald

utility = chrono (heal herald/renegade can also fit here, but it's not really meta)

Weaver is also very flexible because it doesnt really need a healer in the party (overflow heals and random regen is enough) so it's quite good to stack weavers and a few heralds in the same party. I usually like to put 3 weavers per herald (so everyone has perma 20+ might) in one party, no matter how big it is.

Why 1-2 herald for 5 players if Hereald can affect 10 players???If ur talking abour Jalis rev or renegades i would agree, but even so the jalis F2 passive with the damage reducing takes affect of 10 players if elite spec is Herald.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 (just some informative note to that post): That's why i have bigger health bars for the players on my squad and use the smaller/normal one to the rest, i can scream to overextended players outside my heal areas or know if i need to hrow ventari tablet to heal while ill use staf and shield heals (5k each) on the close allies, while it can remove as well the condies, people are rellying wayyy to much in scourge and FB's...wich leads to those cant reach situations.

Because rev is your main dps, your main spike and because boons from facets stack. You don't lose anything by having more heralds as long as fb/scg/healer are covered. Every other class other than those 4/5 are optional.

Not sure if facets are intended to stack(i always tough facets existe to avoid stacking from similiar or equal sources...), passive healing from one herald can reach 1k for each player and per second, F2 herald/ventari heals arround 2.5-3.5k every 3 sec, if u telling me its stackable..... and can also affect 10 allies.

if that's stackable.. oh boy..

I guess ill ask my guild to try this out ._. since we are short in FB's.

@Cyninja.2954 said:The advantage of having more dps is directly negated by not being able to use skills due to lack of stability. Pressure from 20 dps is negated by more reflect bubbles, condition cleanse, aegis, etc. for the group with more support. Worst case, the side with more support just pirate ships the opposition in a war of attrition.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:Why is that even a "challenge" lol. There is a reason why literally every commander will say there isnt enough dps. Because most fights are won in the first push by overwhelming and consistent force. Dps will usually die first and if say 5 of those 10 dps are dead in the first push as opposed to 5 of the 20 dps... you have an utterly crippled force that wont do any damage vs a mostly intact force.

So already off the bat we have two conflicting opinions on this question. This is why I chose to challenge your stance on your opinion

Now I actually agree with you cyninja. The answer you gave makes the most sense objectively. But you can understand why Dawdler said what he said.

I’ve been in both situations...running 5 healers in 25 man groups with 20 DPS and 25 man groups with nearly 3 healers for every 2 dps. In both situations we’ve rolled over many zergs both organized and unorganized. The truth is that the answer isn’t always very clear as to which composition is actually better.

We can analyze such compositions from an objective standpoint which is what I’m really getting at. It’s not rocket science...but at least everyone can agree that a rockets obey Newton’s laws of motion. Meanwhile everyone has different answers for the compositions of WVW, because most of the meta is just derived from opinions and subjective view points. I’m here attempting to challenge the status quo in order to extrapolate objective truths about the game mode which ultimately helps not just myself but others to make better decisions to gain more kills, win more games and avoid deaths.

Anyway, my stance on the question is that it comes down to what you said about killing players. One way of thinking about is that the damage and healing of both zergs have an equilibrium point. If 20 dPS are doing 2kdps, that’s a total of 40kdps inflicted to the enemy Zerg. If the opposing Zerg with 15 healers are healing for 5khps than they out heal the enemy zergs damage by 25kHPs (total 75khps) Due to the nature of healing he maximum amount of heal before it becomes overheal is also 40Khps.

Once the healing amount drops below the DPS amount your Zerg ends up losing the fight.

DPS can also be concentrated on less players. So if you have 10 dPS focusing a single person with 2kdps each, that single player will take 20kdps. In 5 man compositions, you would add the 5khps + a maximum potential over healing, which has a maximum of 25khps. That means that in order to kill a single person, you would need an additional 10k dPS to be concentrated on that player before they become comparable to damage.

That seems like a rather arbitrary conclusion thats only backed up by healers healing for 5khps and damage dealers doing damage for 2kdps.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Why is that even a "challenge" lol. There is a reason why literally every commander will say there isnt enough dps. Because most fights are won in the first push by overwhelming and consistent force. Dps will usually die first and if say 5 of those 10 dps are dead in the first push as opposed to 5 of the 20 dps... you have an utterly crippled force that wont do any damage vs a mostly intact force.

That seems like a rather arbitrary conclusion thats only backed up by healers healing for 5khps and damage dealers doing damage for 2kdps.

The numbers ARE arbitrary. You can use any numbers you want but the method of arriving to the end is sound. You can change the DPS of the zergs to 7kdps and HPS to 3k and then do the math again. You’ll arrive at a different answer each time but it describes objectively how much DPS needs to do to beat an opposing comps HPS

@Dawdler.8521 said:Why is that even a "challenge" lol. There is a reason why literally every commander will say there isnt enough dps. Because most fights are won in the first push by overwhelming and consistent force. Dps will usually die first and if say 5 of those 10 dps are dead in the first push as opposed to 5 of the 20 dps... you have an utterly crippled force that wont do any damage vs a mostly intact force.

The numbers ARE arbitrary. You can use any numbers you want but the method of arriving to the end is sound. You can change the DPS of the zergs to 7kdps and HPS to 3k and then do the math again. You’ll arrive at a different answer each time but it describes objectively how much DPS needs to do to beat an opposing comps HPS

Same can be said for healing, 20k-30k aoe heals every 3-4 second and aoe can be aplyed as well, wich makes arround 10k aoe heals every 1 sec.

IMO u m8 be wondering when to burst or when to use atrition war, that is where i think the confusion comes by. :\ just a tough.

@Aeolus.3615 said:Not sure if facets are intended to stack(i always tough facets existe to avoid stacking from similiar or equal sources...), passive healing from one herald can reach 1k for each player and per second, F2 herald/ventari heals arround 2.5-3.5k every 3 sec, if u telling me its stackable..... and can also affect 10 allies.

You dont stack heralds because of ventari or because of F2 though. 1k healing per sec is irrelevant if you have dedicated healers or simply a fb per party. You stack them because instant 20k damage is a lot more impactful than instant 10k damage and both are far more relevant than healing output with 0 healing power, regardless of number of targets.

@steki.1478 said:

@Aeolus.3615 said:Not sure if facets are intended to stack(i always tough facets existe to avoid stacking from similiar or equal sources...), passive healing from one herald can reach 1k for each player and per second, F2 herald/ventari heals arround 2.5-3.5k every 3 sec, if u telling me its stackable..... and can also affect 10 allies.

You dont stack heralds because of ventari or because of F2 though. 1k healing per sec is irrelevant if you have dedicated healers or simply a fb per party. You stack them because instant 20k damage is a lot more impactful than instant 10k damage and both are far more relevant than healing output with 0 healing power, regardless of number of targets.

Yeah i know, just theorizing a few things reason i asked about stacking facets, i use zealots stats, i am not the hammer guy in the group.Altough the range if it stacks, FB range is quite short compared with revent stuff, just way way more harder to play if we compare with the stack of spambrands.

DPS and HPS are usually irrelevant numbers. What matters is the burst damage and avoiding said damage. I can have 2k dps on staff weaver, but I can down 5 enemies with a single skill and then finish them (while downing allies who are trying to rez them) after 5 seconds. Enemy cant heal downed allies. My dps will suddenly rise up to 8k within 10 seconds and drop to 5k at the end of the fight. DPS number brings me no value, but the burst that downed enemies does.

On the other hand you can have healers who can achieve up to 10k hps when fighting enemies with low burst but constant damage (shades/wells for example tick constantly for about 3-4k damage, which is extremely easy to outheal). Can that prevent 3 revs from downing 5 of your allies? No, because you cant outheal that burst, you have to avoid it somehow.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

Yeah i know, just theorizing a few things reason i asked about stacking facets, i use zealots stats, i am not the hammer guy in the group.Altough the range if it stacks, FB range is quite short compared with revent stuff, just way way more harder to play if we compare with the stack of spambrands.

Boons from facets will stack in duration. If you have 2 revs pulsing might, you'd have twice as much might compared to 1 rev. But if they are pulsing swiftness, that number wont be 2 because duration stacking boons stack up to 5 times only so you'd end up with somewhat higher amount of swiftness and you'd just reach the "maximum" duration faster. Might is generally the main reason why you'd want more heralds because you can end up with permanent 20 might at certain point.

@steki.1478 said:

Boons from facets will stack in duration. If you have 2 revs pulsing might, you'd have twice as much might compared to 1 rev. But if they are pulsing swiftness, that number wont be 2 because duration stacking boons stack up to 5 times only so you'd end up with somewhat higher amount of swiftness and you'd just reach the "maximum" duration faster. Might is generally the main reason why you'd want more heralds because you can end up with permanent 20 might at certain point.

By any chance u know how direct heals from ventari F2 work, if they would stack?It ticks every 3 sec, and meanwhile same person could get aanother tick from another ventari f2 passive healing.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

By any chance u know how direct heals from ventari F2 work, if they would stack?It ticks every 3 sec, and meanwhile same person could get aanother tick from another ventari f2 passive healing.

They probably do.

@steki.1478 said:

They probably do.Interestin g really need to test this then :]Since has more area coverage than FB, max FB can do its 900 in cone, Ventari heals inside a FB Etarnal oasisare its own beasts, that one way ive been using Ventari, but never tryed to stack 2 coordenated ventaris IF the group has place for it.

It's a bit of an abstraction, but the key idea i'm trying to explain here is that unlike the 5 man subgroup setup, you will have more healers able to heal one another when put under pressure, so that in turn, healers don't die, and in turn, the dps don't die. Remember that boons and buffs operate in the same fashion as healing, with the exception that they ignore player health percentage and rely only on proximity to caster within the subgroup.We are arguing for the same point (though the approaches are different). Keeping the healers alive, otherwise the subgroup would die as well, great idea.

A FB is able to provide himself enough stab / prot / aegis / regen when needed.So the only real benefit a FB would get from another FB in a 15 ppl subgroup would be the chance to get some extra heal. But he also could lose dwarf rite and barrier, because these things could get overstacked on some ppl in the 15 ppl subgroup.

What I tried to say with my weired math equations was that extra heal can't replace dwarf rite and barrier. It can't compensate for being insta downed by a spike, caused by a lack of spike damage reduction / negation.

So I doubt that a FB in a 15 ppl subgroup would have better survival, just because of that chance to get some extra heal. It would make it even harder to survive imo.

Additionally, Scourges and Revs would be more prone to getting killed, because they don't reliably get stab, healing, rite, barrier, aegis, prot, regen, resi, cleanses in such a 15 ppl subgroup „lottery of who gets support and who doesn't“.

Lots of these support tools would be stacked and wasted on some lucky winners, and this overstacking would prolly not even raise the survivability of these lucky winners. Because e .g. 5-10 stab stacks are totally enough, you don't need 20. And stacking prot / aegis / resi / regen would only increase the duration, which is mostly irrelevant, because they get removed or corrupted from time to time. You don't need e. g. a 30 secs regen stack or a 20 secs aegis stacks, its just a waste.

Some unlucky losers in that 15 ppl subgroup lottery will die in the first push (more than usual), because they don't get stab or rite or barrier etc. Thus the damage will concentrate on less ppl after, making it even harder to sustain the enemy presure.

The only benefit I can see for a 15 ppl subgroup is that there is a chance to compensate lesser skilled FBs. In such a group a high skilled FB could compensate for the lesser skilled FBs, and if in need proc some additional stab e. g.

But a good com can compensate this also with 5 ppl subgroups. If lets say group 5 has a FB with only 200 EXP lvls or if this group constantly dies during the initial push, the com can assign an ingi or heal tempest to that group.

@steki.1478 said:

DPS and HPS are usually irrelevant numbers. What matters is the burst damage and avoiding said damage. I can have 2k dps on staff weaver, but I can down 5 enemies with a single skill and then finish them (while downing allies who are trying to rez them) after 5 seconds. Enemy cant heal downed allies. My dps will suddenly rise up to 8k within 10 seconds and drop to 5k at the end of the fight. DPS number brings me no value, but the burst that downed enemies does.

On the other hand you can have healers who can achieve up to 10k hps when fighting enemies with low burst but constant damage (shades/wells for example tick constantly for about 3-4k damage, which is extremely easy to outheal). Can that prevent 3 revs from downing 5 of your allies? No, because you cant outheal that burst, you have to avoid it somehow.

When we are talking about DPS we are literally talking about the amount of damage inflicted onto opponents in a single second. The DPS you are thinking of is damage per second per over the course of an engagement. When your “dPS” drops from 10k to 5k it’s because it is the average amount of damage per second over the course of 20 seconds(as an example)

This is not the same as the DPS I’m referring to which is the damage inflicted in the course of one second, at all times. In this case dPS and Hps are extremely relevant in the course of second.

@enkidu.5937 said:

It's a bit of an abstraction, but the key idea i'm trying to explain here is that unlike the 5 man subgroup setup, you will have more healers able to heal one another when put under pressure, so that in turn, healers don't die, and in turn, the dps don't die. Remember that boons and buffs operate in the same fashion as healing, with the exception that they ignore player health percentage and rely only on proximity to caster within the subgroup.We are arguing for the same point (though the approaches are different). Keeping the healers alive, otherwise the subgroup would die as well, great idea.

A FB is able to provide himself enough stab / prot / aegis / regen when needed.So the only real benefit a FB would get from another FB in a 15 ppl subgroup would be the chance to get some extra heal. But he also could lose dwarf rite and barrier, because these things could get overstacked on some ppl in the 15 ppl subgroup.

What I tried to say with my weired math equations was that extra heal can't replace dwarf rite and barrier. It can't compensate for being insta downed by a spike, caused by a lack of spike damage reduction / negation.

So I doubt that a FB in a 15 ppl subgroup would have better survival, just because of that chance to get some extra heal. It would make it even harder to survive imo.

Additionally, Scourges and Revs would be more prone to getting killed, because they don't reliably get stab, healing, rite, barrier, aegis, prot, regen, resi, cleanses in such a 15 ppl subgroup „lottery of who gets support and who doesn't“.

Lots of these support tools would be stacked and wasted on some lucky winners, and this overstacking would prolly not even raise the survivability of these lucky winners. Because e .g. 5-10 stab stacks are totally enough, you don't need 20. And stacking prot / aegis / resi / regen would only increase the duration, which is mostly irrelevant, because they get removed or corrupted from time to time. You don't need e. g. a 30 secs regen stack or a 20 secs aegis stacks, its just a waste.

Some unlucky losers in that 15 ppl subgroup lottery will die in the first push (more than usual), because they don't get stab or rite or barrier etc. Thus the damage will concentrate on less ppl after, making it even harder to sustain the enemy presure.

The only benefit I can see for a 15 ppl subgroup is that there is a chance to compensate lesser skilled FBs. In such a group a high skilled FB could compensate for the lesser skilled FBs, and if in need proc some additional stab e. g.

But a good com can compensate this also with 5 ppl subgroups. If lets say group 5 has a FB with only 200 EXP lvls or if this group constantly dies during the initial push, the com can assign an ingi or heal tempest to that group.

I’d like to point out that in the more recent GvG tournament (forgot the name) VR ran a 10 man subgroup. They lost against Wavy in the finals...but they made it to the final round with a 10 man subgroup. Mind you that thier 10 man subgroup didn’t have a tempest healer.

My guess is they probably had a similar line of thinking about healers supporting other healers.

When we are talking about DPS we are literally talking about the amount of damage inflicted onto opponents in a single second. The DPS you are thinking of is damage per second per over the course of an engagement. When your “dPS” drops from 10k to 5k it’s because it is the average amount of damage per second over the course of 20 seconds(as an example)

This is not the same as the DPS I’m referring to which is the damage inflicted in the course of one second, at all times. In this case dPS and Hps are extremely relevant in the course of second.

But you never have the same dps every second. It can vary from 1k to 50k dps baded on class and based on duration. Damage output would be a lot more appropriate indicator.

One second doesn't give you any valuable information.

@"steki.1478" said:But you never have the same dps every second. It can vary from 1k to 50k dps baded on class and based on duration. Damage output would be a lot more appropriate indicator.

I'm not really sure why you are arguing against what i'm explaining here because what i'm saying is mathematically sound (And is essentially what you said, It's literal damage output). The DPS you are referring to (most likely DPS meter from ArcDPS) is actually much more of an incorrect way to determine a solution because of how it averages damage and heals over the course of an engagement rather than in sections of time. For the sake of the following example i will refer to your dps as DPSE (Damage Per Second over Engagement)... Please read the following below very carefully. I hope you are ready for some MATH.

Let's say you have Player A a damage dealer, and Player B an opposing enemy healer. T=(n) is Time at interval n. For now let's pretend that our health pool is infinite.

At T=1 Player A deals 5000 damage to Player B. Also at T=1 Player B heals for 3000 HP.The current DPS at this point in time for Player A is 5000. And the current HPS for Player B is 3000.the DPSE at this point is the same as the DPS, which is 5000 for Player A and 3000 HPSE for Player B

At T=2 Player A deals 10000 damage to Player B and Player B heals for 6000 HP.The current DPS at this point in time for Player A is 10,000 and the current HPS for player B is 6000.The DPSE at this point is the average of DPS at both T=1 and T=2. Which is 7,500. The HPSE at T=1 and T=2 is 4,500.

Mathematically speaking if the same trend continues, where the DPSE remains 7,500 and the HPSE remains 4,500, with a health pool of 20,000, Player A will kill player B at T=6.5 seconds. This is what happens when you compare the DPSE to the HPSE.

But when we talk about the DPS and HPS, at any given second you would calculate it as follows.At T=1 where player A deals 5000 damage to Player B and Player B heals for 3000 HP;The DPS/HPS exchange (lack of a better term) is -2000 Healing for player B and +2000 damage for Player A.

At T=2 Where player A then deals 10000 damage to Player B and Player B heals for 6000;The gross DPS/HPS exchange is -4000 for Player B and +4000 for Player A.The Net DPS/HPS exchange is -6000 for Player B and +6000 for Player A.

**So even though Player A's "DPSE" is 7,500, Player A only did 6000 total damage to Player B. And even though Player B's HPSE was 4,500, Player B healed for -6000. With a 20,000 Health pool and a continuation of this trend, Player B will die at T=6.5 seconds.

So you notice that we arrive at the same answer...it's because DPS and DPSE are the same thing, but DPS is calculated in sections of time while DPSE is the average, which give you incorrect values during intervals of the fight...at the end you will have the same answer but an inaccurate depiction as to how much value your damage is dealing during any given moment in time. Unlike DPSE, You can extrapolate and apply DPS to AOE and multiple foes. **

For example;We have Player A,B,C,D and E. Player A is a damage dealer, and players B,C,D and E are players that receive healing (and for the sake of simplicity, do not attack back)

At T=1 Player A deals

• 5,000 damage to Player B
  • 2,000 damage to Player C
  • 6,000 damage to Player D
  • 1,000 damage to Player EDPSE= 14,000

Players B,C,D and E are healed;

• 3,000 heals recieved by Player B
  • 8,000 heals recieved by Player C
  • 5,000 heals recieved by Player D
  • 10,000 Heals recieved by Player EHPSE= 26,000

Now you do the DPS/HPS exchanges to find out the net damage dealt by player A, by making every value negative and adding it to Player A's damage.2000 damage dealt to Player B (-2000 Healing done to Player B.)-6000 damage dealt to Player C (+6000 Healing done to Player C.)1000 damage dealt to Player D (-1000 Healing done to Player D.)-9000 damage dealt to Player E (+9000 Healing done to Player E.)

The current DPS/HPS exchange dealt by Player A is -12000 and the Total healing done to player B, C, D and E is +12,000You're wondering how it's possible to have negative DPS. It's because with real DPS, you sum over both damage and healing to receive a value, which can be either positive or negative. Positive value's for damage mean you are winning over the opposing healing, and negative values mean you are losing against opposing healing (The DPS/HPS exchange)The current DPSE is 14,000, and the current HPSE is 26,000.

Now for T=2At T=2 Player A deals

• 3,000 damage to Player B
  • 9,000 damage to Player C
  • 1,000 damage to Player D
  • 2,000 damage to Player E

• 7,000 heals recieved by Player B
  • 2,000 heals recieved by Player C
  • 8,000 heals recieved by Player D
  • 5,000 Heals recieved by Player E

Now you do the DPS/HPS exchanges to find out the net damage dealt by player A, by making every value negative and adding it to Player A's damage.-4000 damage dealt to Player B (+4000 Healing done to Player B.) (Net=+2000)+7,000 damage dealt to Player C (-7000 Healing done to Player C.) (Net=-1000)-7000 damage dealt to Player D (+7000 Healing done to Player D.)(Net=+6000)-3000 damage dealt to Player E (+3000 Healing done to Player E.) (Net = +12,000)

The gross Total DPS/HPS exchange; damage dealt by Player A at T=2 is -7000 and the gross healing done to player B, C, D and E at T=2 is +7000The Net Total DPS/HPS exchange for T=1 and T=2 is -19,000. and the net healing received by B,C,D and E is +19,000.The DPSE at T1+T2 is (19,000+15,000)/2 = 17,000 DPSE. The HPSE is 24,000.

Given that the trend continues, Player A will never kill Players B,D and E. with a 20,000 health pool, Player C will die at T=40. Notice how you can not reach this answer by going off of DPSE alone, only DPS/HPS exchanges. Because DPSE averages all your damage over the course of an engagement, you can not determine how your damage is actually distributed through out a set of players larger than 1 player.

To go and reinforce the point of the original statement, that Damage per Second (The real damage per second and not arcdps Damage per second over engagment) is an indicator of how much damage you are dealing (or heals that you are healing) at any given point in time, and returns to you a net value that you use to determine how useful to the fight you actually are at a given point in time. If i use a healing skill and i'm healing for 30,000 in a given moment, but my group is being hit for over 60,000 damage at that given moment, than i'm effectively doing 0 healing at that point in time because my group is taking 30,000 damage. This doesn't mean that my healing is "useless" but it determines how fast my group will die.

Now let's be a bit more realistic here. Humans can't CALCULATE real damage per second. We simply can not know how much damage or healing we are doing in 1 second intervals in a game like guild wars 2. There are too many numbers flying around and Arcdps, "DPSE" is the only way we can see as an approximation of what we are doing. in huge zerg fights. Anyway i hope you understand what i've posted here.

@"steki.1478" said:But you never have the same dps every second. It can vary from 1k to 50k dps baded on class and based on duration. Damage output would be a lot more appropriate indicator.

I'm not really sure why you are arguing against what i'm explaining here because what i'm saying is mathematically sound (And is essentially what you said, It's literal damage output). The DPS you are referring to (most likely DPS meter from ArcDPS) is actually much more of an incorrect way to determine a solution because of how it averages damage and heals over the course of an engagement rather than in sections of time.
For the sake of the following example i will refer to your dps as DPSE (Damage Per Second over Engagement)
... Please read the following below very carefully. I hope you are ready for some MATH.

Let's say you have Player A a damage dealer, and Player B an opposing enemy healer. T=(n) is Time at interval n. For now let's pretend that our health pool is infinite.

At T=1 Player A deals 5000 damage to Player B. Also at T=1 Player B heals for 3000 HP.The current DPS at this point in time for Player A is 5000. And the current HPS for Player B is 3000.the DPSE at this point is the same as the DPS, which is 5000 for Player A and 3000 HPSE for Player B

At T=2 Player A deals 10000 damage to Player B and Player B heals for 6000 HP.The current DPS at this point in time for Player A is 10,000 and the current HPS for player B is 6000.The DPSE at this point is the average of DPS at both T=1 and T=2. Which is 7,500. The HPSE at T=1 and T=2 is 4,500.

Mathematically speaking if the same trend continues, where the DPSE remains 7,500 and the HPSE remains 4,500, with a health pool of 20,000, Player A will kill player B at T=6.5 seconds. This is what happens when you compare the DPSE to the HPSE.

But when we talk about the DPS and HPS, at any given second you would calculate it as follows.At T=1 where player A deals 5000 damage to Player B and Player B heals for 3000 HP;The DPS/HPS exchange (lack of a better term) is -2000 Healing for player B and +2000 damage for Player A.

At T=2 Where player A then deals 10000 damage to Player B and Player B heals for 6000;The gross DPS/HPS exchange is -4000 for Player B and +4000 for Player A.The Net DPS/HPS exchange is -6000 for Player B and +6000 for Player A.

**So even though Player A's "DPSE" is 7,500, Player A only did 6000 total damage to Player B. And even though Player B's HPSE was 4,500, Player B healed for -6000. With a 20,000 Health pool and a continuation of this trend, Player B will die at T=6.5 seconds.

So you notice that we arrive at the same answer...it's because DPS and DPSE are the same thing, but DPS is calculated in sections of time while DPSE is the average, which give you incorrect values during intervals of the fight...at the end you will have the same answer but an inaccurate depiction as to how much value your damage is dealing during any given moment in time. Unlike DPSE, You can extrapolate and apply DPS to AOE and multiple foes. **

For example;We have Player A,B,C,D and E. Player A is a damage dealer, and players B,C,D and E are players that receive healing (and for the sake of simplicity, do not attack back)

At T=1 Player A deals
  • 5,000 damage to Player B
  • 2,000 damage to Player C
  • 6,000 damage to Player D
  • 1,000 damage to Player EDPSE= 14,000

• 3,000 heals recieved by Player B
  • 8,000 heals recieved by Player C
  • 5,000 heals recieved by Player D
  • 10,000 Heals recieved by Player EHPSE= 26,000

Now you do the DPS/HPS exchanges to find out the net damage dealt by player A, by making every value negative and adding it to Player A's damage.2000 damage dealt to Player B (-2000 Healing done to Player B.)-6000 damage dealt to Player C (+6000 Healing done to Player C.)1000 damage dealt to Player D (-1000 Healing done to Player D.)-9000 damage dealt to Player E (+9000 Healing done to Player E.)

The current DPS/HPS exchange dealt by Player A is -12000 and the Total healing done to player B, C, D and E is +12,000You're wondering how it's possible to have negative DPS. It's because with real DPS, you sum over both damage and healing to receive a value, which can be either positive or negative. Positive value's for damage mean you are winning over the opposing healing, and negative values mean you are losing against opposing healing (The DPS/HPS exchange)The current DPSE is 14,000, and the current HPSE is 26,000.

Now for T=2At T=2 Player A deals
  • 3,000 damage to Player B
  • 9,000 damage to Player C
  • 1,000 damage to Player D
  • 2,000 damage to Player E

• 7,000 heals recieved by Player B
  • 2,000 heals recieved by Player C
  • 8,000 heals recieved by Player D
  • 5,000 Heals recieved by Player E

Now you do the DPS/HPS exchanges to find out the net damage dealt by player A, by making every value negative and adding it to Player A's damage.-4000 damage dealt to Player B (+4000 Healing done to Player B.) (Net=+2000)+7,000 damage dealt to Player C (-7000 Healing done to Player C.) (Net=-1000)-7000 damage dealt to Player D (+7000 Healing done to Player D.)(Net=+6000)-3000 damage dealt to Player E (+3000 Healing done to Player E.) (Net = +12,000)

The gross Total DPS/HPS exchange; damage dealt by Player A at T=2 is -7000 and the gross healing done to player B, C, D and E at T=2 is +7000The Net Total DPS/HPS exchange for T=1 and T=2 is -19,000. and the net healing received by B,C,D and E is +19,000.The DPSE at T1+T2 is (19,000+15,000)/2 = 17,000 DPSE. The HPSE is 24,000.

Given that the trend continues, Player A will never kill Players B,D and E. with a 20,000 health pool, Player C will die at T=40. Notice how you can not reach this answer by going off of DPSE alone, only DPS/HPS exchanges. Because DPSE averages all your damage over the course of an engagement, you can not determine how your damage is actually distributed through out a set of players larger than 1 player.

To go and reinforce the point of the original statement, that Damage per Second (The real damage per second and not arcdps Damage per second over engagment) is an indicator of how much damage you are dealing (or heals that you are healing) at any given point in time, and returns to you a net value that you use to determine how useful to the fight you actually are at a given point in time. If i use a healing skill and i'm healing for 30,000 in a given moment, but my group is being hit for over 60,000 damage at that given moment, than i'm effectively doing 0 healing at that point in time because my group is taking 30,000 damage. This doesn't mean that my healing is "useless" but it determines how fast my group will die.

Now let's be a bit more realistic here. Humans can't CALCULATE real damage per second. We simply can not know how much damage or healing we are doing in 1 second intervals in a game like guild wars 2. There are too many numbers flying around and Arcdps, "DPSE" is the only way we can see as an approximation of what we are doing. in huge zerg fights. Anyway i hope you understand what i've posted here.

Arcdps can show you everything you want to see. That's why I said your dps can vary from 1k to 50k because your average dpse (final arcdps number after a fight) will almost always be around 3-5k.

While your math makes sense, your logic doesn't and that's something I noticed from earlier comments as well. Healing is not the only thing that's keeping you alive and healer is not the only source of healing (everyone can heal themselves or even allies).

A single stack of aegis devalues almost everything you said in this comment. Same happens with aoe barrier, invuln, resistance, stability, blinds/hard CC on enemy (even downing it), revive skills like MI from guard or simply a dodge because they all negate the damage received directly or indirectly. These are the main factors that keep you alive actually, not healing.

Remember when I said that weaver parties don't need healers, just a few heralds? It's because you do a lot of damage when buffed (this is where herald comes in), but most of the damage you take is from retaliation (this is where random overflow healing comes in) not from actual skills because the main thing keeping you alive are range, CC, positioning and evades. Scourge has barriers, herald has evades and infuse light, guard has tons of aegis, warr has endure pains etc etc. If 5 revs hit you with hammer within a second you will get downed with or without a healer every time.

Gw2 is not a game where sustain comes from healers only so you cant estimate anything from just hps and dps. You can only determine which classes perform well and in which scenarios.