Black Lion Chest Mount Skins

@Omnicron.2467 said:I thought they stopped with this after they released the new skyscale mount without a Black Lion Chest version. As far as I know they never did a Beetle either? Looks like we are starting at raptor again. It is pretty, but I have all the raptor skins I need

• 8-May-18: Distant Visitor's: Shrine Guardian (introduced to gem shop 5 May)
  • 18-Sep-18: Armored Assault Chest: Dreadnought Raptor (introduced to gem shop same day)
  • 16-Oct-18: Elonian Halloween: Nightfang Griffon (introduced to gem shop same day)
  • 11-Dec-18: Winter Wonders Chest: Sun Temple Gecko (introduced to gem shop same day)
  • 9-Apr-19: Light in Darkness Chest: Magnificent Hummingbird Skimmer (introduced to gem shop same day))

One can't really extrapolate a pattern from a single month's chest.

tl;dr common practice every few months.

I'm not sure it's something they ever stopped doing, rather it's something they do periodically when an appropriate 2,000 gem skin lines up with a new black lion chest.

As far as I know this system was reasonably well received by players, meaning there were no big long topics complaining about it. For people who like the idea of gambling for a skin or think they might be able to get it cheap (or who have a lot of keys saved up) they can try their luck with black lion chests and if anyone doesn't like that idea they can buy it directly and never have to touch the chests.

I mean I am in favour of putting the skins in the black lion chests big time. I really dont want to spend 2k gems on a premium mount skin, but very happy if I can get it via a keyfarm. Hence I missed acquiring the Skyscale mount because I was unwilling to spend the gems, if it was in the chest I would have quickly used the keys I have been hoarding for it. So I am just surprised they skipped Beetle and Skyscale with the Black Lion Chest acquisition method and went back to Raptor.

@Omnicron.2467 said:I mean I am in favour of putting the skins in the black lion chests big time. I really dont want to spend 2k gems on a premium mount skin, but very happy if I can get it via a keyfarm. Hence I missed acquiring the Skyscale mount because I was unwilling to spend the gems, if it was in the chest I would have quickly used the keys I have been hoarding for it. So I am just surprised they skipped Beetle and Skyscale with the Black Lion Chest acquisition method and went back to Raptor.

Again, we can't extrapolate a pattern from singular examples. There is only a single 2k Mountfit for each Skyscale (Shimmering) and Beetle (Armadillo) and those don't happen to have appeared in BL chests. In contrast, there have been two 2k Mountfits for the other mounts, of which one has dropped from the BL chest.

• Raptor: Dreadnought (dropped from BL chest) & Resplendent Avian
  • Springer: Summit Wildhorn & Gecko (dropped from BL chest)
  • Skimmer: Umbral Demon & Hummingbird (dropped from BL chest)
  • Jackal: Reforged Warhound & Shrine Guardian (dropped from BL chest)
  • Griffon: Grand Lion & Nightfang (dropped from BL chest)
  • Beetle: Tremor Armadillo
  • Skyscale: Shimmering

I wouldn't recommend assuming this is a pattern either, because (a) it's still only a few examples and (b) ANet is notoriously inconsistent with gem shop/BL chest. Still if we must identify patterns (and honestly, it's human nature to do so), then it's that the first 2k MountFit of a type is gem shop only and the second is shop plus BL chest RNG.