question about critical hit and weapon speed

Hi guysI suppose to post this on PHP. Sorry but i want to have quick answer. is it critical hit related to weapon speed?I am building a condition scourge and want to use "Superior Sigil of Torment" on one of the weapon. but i dont know to use dagger or staff. compare to both is it dagger will be quicker to apply critical hit then staff. ( attack speed is quicker). please let me know. Thanks

Most things that happen on crit have an internal cooldown. The Superior Sigil of Torment, for example, has a 5 second cooldown. This means that, once it activates, it won't activate again until 5 seconds have passed.

Weapon attack speed plays a role only in a very minor way. Getting that first activation is quicker if you have a faster attacking weapon. But, once the sigil is on cooldown, it doesn't matter how fast you attack. It's not triggering again. Because of this, weapon speed's contribution to DPS regarding trait and sigil activation is extremely small. Mostly negligible.

Though... if you're building a condi scourge, the weapon you'll want to use scepter + torch. Dagger doesn't do any additional condition damage, and the staff has incredibly low damage. The staff is good in PVP and WvW, but in PVE you'll want to avoid it at all costs.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Most things that happen on crit have an internal cooldown. The Superior Sigil of Torment, for example, has a 5 second cooldown. This means that, once it activates, it won't activate again until 5 seconds have passed.

Weapon attack speed plays a role only in a very minor way. Getting that first activation is quicker if you have a faster attacking weapon. But, once the sigil is on cooldown, it doesn't matter how fast you attack. It's not triggering again. Because of this, weapon speed's contribution to DPS regarding trait and sigil activation is extremely small. Mostly negligible.

Though... if you're building a condi scourge, the weapon you'll want to use scepter + torch. Dagger doesn't do any additional condition damage, and the staff has incredibly low damage. The staff is good in PVP and WvW, but in PVE you'll want to avoid it at all costs.

thanks mate. i got u. my main side weapon will be scepter + torch for sure. but i still not sure for my sub-side weapon.

if d/d can faster apply condition and also siphon health to support.but staff have large attack area. ( i may use on wvw but not with sigil of torment)i will abandon normal damage and try to add as much condition as i can. ( i will use rune of nightmare for condition duration.

@kharmin.7683 said:Never had a lot of success with scourge in open world PvE. Seems like the spec is really designed more for raiding than anything else. Maybe I just haven't figure out the right build and/or had enough practice with it. Any tips would be helpful. :)

Its the easiest build in the game. Just press all the buttons and use epi when you need cleave. Never use staff. You can also take the condi heal trait if sustain is needed.

@kharmin.7683 said:Never had a lot of success with scourge in open world PvE. Seems like the spec is really designed more for raiding than anything else. Maybe I just haven't figure out the right build and/or had enough practice with it. Any tips would be helpful. :)

how? its still one of most cheese builds in the game, insane condi spam, and since is open world u dont need invest much in defense, just go full viper set, then Scourge+Curses, then the 3rd trait specialization is literally free choice in open world pve.

Well, I am very casual so maybe that's it? With the new templates, I guess I'll slot in a build and give it another go (since I won't have to waste a character slot). I remember when I tried it before that the condi spam didn't seem to do much to the mobs, but that could very possibly be due to my ineptitude.

@"kharmin.7683" said:Well, I am very casual so maybe that's it? With the new templates, I guess I'll slot in a build and give it another go (since I won't have to waste a character slot). I remember when I tried it before that the condi spam didn't seem to do much to the mobs, but that could very possibly be due to my ineptitude.

the pre-nerfs Scourge was still more powerful since the shades applied the conditions multiple times on same target, with the Scourge at release of POF i helped many friends defeat the Soul Eater.

the only downside is the boring of his gameplay style against mobs. just press buttons, apply lot of conditions and wait then die... is a class very designed to pvp where u had more "action" to curse the people.

the scourge if using blood magic traitlines can even solo champions.

@kharmin.7683 said:Well, I am very casual so maybe that's it? With the new templates, I guess I'll slot in a build and give it another go (since I won't have to waste a character slot). I remember when I tried it before that the condi spam didn't seem to do much to the mobs, but that could very possibly be due to my ineptitude.

Condi in general isn't particularly great against weaker mobs due to ramp up time and open world has a lot of those.