Display Name change Suggestion

Xhalvia.5029

@Dante.1508 said:I add people as friends then after they logout i have no idea who they were or anything because their game names change and their account name isn't what you see.

I myself have started a new guild, the aim of the guild since I'm an experienced player is to create a welcoming and friendly environment for new and returning players.I did this because as I've played though the game myself I found it very hard to interact with other players and learn the game.

The guild has been a huge success so far, many of my guild members are grateful that I have taken my time to help them out and create an environment where they are taking their journey guild-wise from the very begining.

But this has come with some problems.Not only I but the guild members are easily confused with trying to keep track with who is who within the guild, especially when players change characters or interacting in the guild chat.

I've done as much as I can to come up with a solution, the method I've been using is to add everyone onto my friends list and assign a nickname to what they would be preferred to be called.But it does not solve the guild chat solution.The only method I've implemented is to have all my characters start with what I would like to be called to be easily identified but ofc I'm the only one to do such a thing and I dont expect other people to do the same.

There is no mistake to say that this is a problem, perhaps not to completely qveteran players but I assure that it is for newer players.

@Xhalvia.5029 said:

@Zaklex.6308 said:Totally unnecessary...what do you have to hide that you need to use a false identifier.

You are missing the point, Players like to change their account names.And it's a matter of convenience for things like Guild chat when players have multiple characters all with different names and it names it difficult to differentiate who is who.

@Zaklex.6308 said:Totally unnecessary...what do you have to hide that you need to use a false identifier.

You are missing the point, Players like to change their account names.And it's a matter of convenience for things like Guild chat when players have multiple characters all with different names and it names it difficult to differentiate who is who.

Interesting...because when looking at the Guild Roster, not only does it show the character the person is playing, but it shows your account name right along side of it...I think it's only a problem if...I honestly can't think of one, I prefer to know the person by their account name and not their character names and I get that information from both the friends list and guild roster.

You are missing the point.Not only have you clearly not understood my extensive explanation, you have clearly overlooked parts of it... willingly or not.

Furthermore you are being quite selfish in your approach. It is not fair to assume that because it does not effect you then it should not effect other people.

I have stated that this suggestion I have presented could be completely optional.

I have also stated that one of the issues that could be solved is the issue that the current Display name is not used in the text box to help identify players when multiple characters are considered.You have conveniently ignored this point despite me clarifying this multiple times over the course of the thread.Regardless, even if you do not like this feature I have suggested my alternative as optional.

Some players are not particularly happy with the display name they originally desired with.All other games/programs allows their users to change their display name after a period of time.What I have suggested is not something out of the ordinary.

My suggestion
DOES NOT SUGGEST
a removal of the current Display Name and acknowledges the reasoning behind why ANET does not allow for it to be changed unless under certain circumstances.I have outlined exactly that the function of the current Display name would continue as it currently is and could be accessible still if desired.

My suggestion
OUTLINES
precisely that it would effectively be a nickname that you place on your
OWN
account.And only visable towards people in your own guilds or friends list.This is another aspect of my suggestion you have either overlooked or willingly ignoring.

Can't you hover over the character name in chat to see the display name? At least for group/guild/friendslist people? I also don't understand your statement of the problem as you see it or why all this coding is necessary to change how things are.

Now, if ANet could magically show me people's Discord nicknames -- ALL of them -- on hover over in-game names .... so I don't have to remember that "Mimisha.3334" is "JoyToAll" on Discord so I could track my guildies with altitis a little better despite my terrible memory for names ( glares at certain guildies, you know who you are even if -I- don't! ) ... then you'd be onto something :)

*made up names for purpose of example

Can't you hover over the character name in chat to see the display name? At least for group/guild/friendslist people? I also don't understand your statement of the problem as you see it or why all this coding is necessary to change how things are.

Now, if ANet could magically show me people's Discord nicknames -- ALL of them -- on hover over in-game names .... so I don't have to remember that "Mimisha.3334" is "JoyToAll" on Discord so I could track my guildies with altitis a little better despite my terrible memory for names ( glares at certain guildies, you know who you are even if -I- don't! ) ... then you'd be onto something :)

/sighBut with what I'm suggesting you could easily just change you name to what you would like to known as... which in all probability would be same as Discord.........Or...yano...with Discord you can currently change your display name without problem...

@Donari.5237 said:

Interesting...because when looking at the Guild Roster, not only does it show the character the person is playing, but it shows your account name right along side of it...I think it's only a problem if...I honestly can't think of one, I prefer to know the person by their account name and not their character names and I get that information from both the friends list and guild roster.

You are missing the point.Not only have you clearly not understood my extensive explanation, you have clearly overlooked parts of it... willingly or not.

Furthermore you are being quite selfish in your approach. It is not fair to assume that because it does not effect you then it should not effect other people.

I have stated that this suggestion I have presented could be completely optional.

I have also stated that one of the issues that could be solved is the issue that the current Display name is not used in the text box to help identify players when multiple characters are considered.You have conveniently ignored this point despite me clarifying this multiple times over the course of the thread.Regardless, even if you do not like this feature I have suggested my alternative as optional.

Some players are not particularly happy with the display name they originally desired with.All other games/programs allows their users to change their display name after a period of time.What I have suggested is not something out of the ordinary.

My suggestion
DOES NOT SUGGEST
a removal of the current Display Name and acknowledges the reasoning behind why ANET does not allow for it to be changed unless under certain circumstances.I have outlined exactly that the function of the current Display name would continue as it currently is and could be accessible still if desired.

My suggestion
OUTLINES
precisely that it would effectively be a nickname that you place on your
OWN
account.And only visable towards people in your own guilds or friends list.This is another aspect of my suggestion you have either overlooked or willingly ignoring.

Now, if ANet could magically show me people's Discord nicknames -- ALL of them -- on hover over in-game names .... so I don't have to remember that "Mimisha.3334" is "JoyToAll" on Discord so I could track my guildies with altitis a little better despite my terrible memory for names (
glares
at certain guildies, you know who you are even if -I- don't! ) ... then you'd be onto something :)

You can yes but a day or so later you've completely forgotten who that person you played with was, and when they go offline the friends list only shows their account names.

@Xhalvia.5029 said:

@AgentMoore.9453 said:I think I'd like something similar to what Discord offers: A stationary account name (GW2 handle), a display name you can change depending on what server you're in (GW2 character name)

I don't think I've been very clear, it's really early in morning so I apologise.

But this is kinda what I'm suggesting.
  1. Account name (unchanged)
  2. Display name (
    new
    IGN, effectively masks account name)
  3. Character name.

Display name (2) displayed in guild chat for easy recognition of player. Display name also shown on friends list for easy recognition.

If I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like what you want is not a new display name, but for display names to be tagged to in-game communications instead of/in addition to, character names. I would be down for that idea. Your idea, as currently proposed, I do not support. Mainly for the reasons that plenty of people know me as Tinymurder and changes to the display name tend to break the game.