new player question

Xray.2380

I say yes. Oft times, we have new players that insta-level and not know how things work in the game. Then, they get frustrated and quit.

There is a lot to learn about character skills/traits/mechanics that I feel is more easily learned by leveling the "normal" way. Also, you will learn how different enemies attack and how best to deal with them. Following the story line will likewise help things in Tyria make more sense. Once you have leveled a character the normal way, then level 80 boosting for others isn't as big of a deal.

The drawback is that the levelling process is intended to gradually introduce you to new mechanics and encourage you to try different skills, traits and stats so you can learn how the game works and what you like playing, so when you reach level 80 you'll have an idea of how to build your character. Similarly the levelling process and the level up notifications explain different areas of the game so you know what options are available to play after you're done levelling.

Whereas if you boost to level 80 you're on your own deciding what to do and what to use on your character - you're given a default build and set of level 80 exotic equipment with defensive stats, which is good for keeping you alive but can make defeating anything slow, and you may not know what you want to do, or how to find content to play.

For some people that's not a problem, for others it makes the game virtually unplayable because they don't know what to do without that direction or how to understand what's wrong with their build. But the boost does let you try playing at level 80, on a level 80 map, so you could try it and see how you feel before making it permanent.

You will never out-level any content or get locked out of anything, no matter how you level up, so continuing your story and map completion is an option, but I imagine a lot of people who want to boost to 80 don't want to keep doing the same stuff.

If you are a quick learner in all things MMO, probably not, as the meta is pretty rigid and there is little use in learning all skills' mechanics by heart (unless one is into it and enjoys fiddling around with tons of inferior weapons and skills, but I have to say that was much more fun in GW1 than it is in GW2 due to skills not being bound to specific weapons there and there being a much broader variety of skills to choose from).

However, very few people have a natural talent for it, so most end up asking what to do once they've reached level 80. I therefore recommend to explore step by step, to do story missions and get acquainted with the profession's mechanics etc. It's definitely something 99.9% of us have benefitted from. :) General rule of thumb: take your time.

None. Just explore, complete one of starter maps, then one map above, then another, until you learn how to use your build. So, go to core maps first, maybe do core story line. Don't do expansions first. Exception is 1st mission in Path of Fire. To get your mount.

The trick is to learn how GW2 and your build works.

I also recommend getting your first char to 80 by regular leveling. However if you have Path of Fire you can get a mount before level 80 by having a friend/guild member carry you through the first story of Path of Fire (and buying it from the merchant in the story instance when it becomes available, which is after you finish the part about putting out the fires in the village). If you have the raptor it makes leveling to 80 more fun.