Missing Feature: Organize Scrims/GvGs in game

Jey.2349

Suggestion to anet:Make the map-chat (/m) in Obsidian Sanctum readable for all worlds, so it is easier to organize scrims.

Discussion:Sometimes it is hard to find other guilds to fight against in WvW especially during prime time, when there is a queue on every map. Don't get me wrong, I like the activity, especially since anet removed a EU tier. But WvW is missing a key feature: a possibility to organize GvGs quickly in game. I know there are third party tools but most players are just lazy.So a very simple approach would be to just add a chat which is accessible for all worlds. I can understand that anet don't want to do it for all maps, to prevent spamming and flaming. But the Obsidian Sanctum possibly is a good place for GvGs, because there are no real objectives other than fights; and I'm sure guilds would love to communicate much easier. (Maybe EOTM and also changing the say chat (/s) could also be a good idea)

Looking forward to hear your opinions!

@skr.5126 said:Yep. No guild wars in GuildWars2.

Yes, one thing I forgot to mention: This suggestion is just a quick fix. In future, other other possibilities to encourage GvGs should be added. E.g. maybe guilds could use the lfg-tool to find opponents. Or maybe add a squad option so all worlds could see the tag (joining the squad should be restricted from other worlds).

@"Killthehealersffs.8940" said:Rename it to somethng else than GvGhttps://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_versus_Guild is a different ''stractured'' thing in the GW universe.You wouldnt call Dwarfs with pointy ears , as Elf in Tolkien books.edit: Well if a major amount of wanted to aknowleghe them as Elf they can do , but dont ask for ''support'' from Tokkien

It's an established term outside of GW. That gives GW2 as much right to call it GvG without dipping into specifics as it it did GW1 making its own definition of it.

Other than that, per the thread title, yes, we have been saying it since 2012. Perhaps 2020 is the year the backend systems for WvW finally get taken seriously and assessed properly so the birth defects can be addressed B) .

@subversiontwo.7501 said:

@"Killthehealersffs.8940" said:Rename it to somethng else than GvG
is a different ''stractured'' thing in the GW universe.You wouldnt call Dwarfs with pointy ears , as Elf in Tolkien books.edit: Well if a major amount of wanted to aknowleghe them as Elf they can do , but dont ask for ''support'' from Tokkien

It's an established term outside of GW. That gives GW2 as much right to call it GvG without dipping into specifics as it it did GW1 making its own definition of it.

Other than that, per the thread title, yes, we have been saying it since 2012. Perhaps 2020 is the year the backend systems for WvW finally get taken seriously and assessed properly so the birth defects can be addressed B) .

They are looking to incoporate and find a way for 10v10 or 15v15 battles in the PvP area/Hotjoin (if they find a way for the UI problem ) .That will be the official GvG , with fair and square gear.

How the one in the WWvW should be called ?:P

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:Rename it to somethng else than GvG
is a different ''stractured'' thing in the GW universe.You wouldnt call Dwarfs with pointy ears , as Elf in Tolkien books.edit: Well if a major amount of wanted to aknowleghe them as Elf they can do , but dont ask for ''support'' from Tokkien

They are looking to incoporate and find a way for 10v10 or 15v15 battles in the PvP area/Hotjoin (if they find a way for the UI problem ) .That will be the official GvG.How the one in the WWvW should be called ?:PI know and that is probably a smart thing since it is likely the quickest way to develop a working system with existing assets and tech.They have been trying other things for years but few of them have been either accurate, functional or effectful.At the same time, that doesn't mean that there isn't room for further improvements and expansions down the line. There is alot of untapped potential here.

They are looking to incoporate and find a way for 10v10 or 15v15 battles in the PvP area/Hotjoin (if they find a way for the UI problem ) .That will be the official GvG , with fair and square gear.

How the one in the WWvW should be called ?:P

If they're blaming it on UI then it's safe to say that it's not an immediate concern of theirs

@subversiontwo.7501 said:

They are looking to incoporate and find a way for 10v10 or 15v15 battles in the PvP area/Hotjoin (if they find a way for the UI problem ) .That will be the official GvG.How the one in the WWvW should be called ?:PI know and that is probably a smart thing since it is likely the quickest way to develop a working system with existing assets and tech.They have been trying other things for years but few of them have been either accurate, functional or effectful.At the same time, that doesn't mean that there isn't room for further improvements and expansions down the line. There is alot of untapped potential here.

Swifting their focus from the Guild Halls Arenas in HoT to the PvP rooms , i would say that they revaluated their goals .Can you immagine for a sec , if they Released a Colusium Guild Arena and the population without trying to host A SINGLE MINI TOURNAMENT once , they deemed the arena too small from the Twitch preview and they wouldnt even try once ?That would be hilarious :)

Swifting their focus from the Guild Halls Arenas in HoT to the PvP rooms , i would say that they revaluated their goals .Can you immagine for a sec , if they Released a Colusium Guild Arena and the population without trying to host A SINGLE MINI TOURNAMENT once , they deemed the arena too small from the Twitch preview and they wouldnt even try once ?That would be hilarious :)

I wouldn't say that they re-evaluated their goals. They rather ran into spaghetti issues. The GH arena always had problems with its backend. It was made using the PvE systems. That ran into issues when balances had to split leaving the Arena in rampant PvE balance at the time. There were also always issues with the megaserver instance mechanics only partially working in the Arena (the "join on map" feature was buggy there), making it take up to an hour to get 30 people onto the same map instance. So it was possible, only it was rather buggy and tedious.

I'm not sure of you meant the same thing, I read it more like that they would have been indecisive over whether 15v15 should be regarded as WvW or sPvP and put under either system. The reasons for them taking the route with 2v2, swiss and 15v15 support is more practical I imagine. Hence my earlier comment since I believe that whatever work they put into 15v15 and a GvG map now may perhaps not translate well all the way up to a 50v50 scale which they probably could pursue in a system from scratch.

That's just me guessing though, that there are technical limitations that may enable them to shoehorn the 5v5 systems into a 15v15 system and map scale but that things simply can't be stretched further without issues ramping up. Otherwise, limiting it to 15v15 would make no sense and just be them not listening again. I'd give them the benefit of doubt here. Either way, a working 15v15 system in sPvP may buy them enough time and rapport to find a more purpose-built system after Alliances et. al., or possibly even never as it could be enough to sustain competetive "WvW" options enough to put work into other broad PvP-related features in both WvW and sPvP in the future.

Delivering on Alliances, setting up a simple improved scoring system based on map balance, setting up a rudimentary sPvP system for GvG and creating some more overlap over their PvP communities is all attainable within a year. That puts them in a much more stable position to pursue other interesting things going forward with their three basic PvP modes then delivered to a more tolerable degree. We'd essentially be back at the promises of HoT (with swiss style 2v2, 5v5, 10v10 and 15v15 options replacing the failed Stronghold mode). That would let them explore more inventive things and even other modes going forward. They could for example then put more attention to a WvW lobby (and work on systems for that), they could iterate on Alliances to be more fully-fledged megaservers and do away with the very archaic queueing systems and they could explore other mode/guild oriented goals such as some sort of faux map-claiming system like the ones in WoT and EVE or what AGS are looking to develop for New World now.

It isn't beyond GW2 to be able to tap into such things as well if PvP is not meant to just keep being a footnote going forward.

I know I've both said it and alluded to it before but CCP and EVE is a good example of what you can aspire to be, they have already done alot of things (a long time ago) that people to this day still don't know is possible (in terms of market appeal and scale technologies etc.) whereas WG and WoT is a very good example of how you can be very practical by creating modular game modes, essentially tying together different game modes (and even games!) under the core mechanics of the main day-to-day mode. That shows practial smarts with limited means. These are things that even upcomming games with alot of hype (like NW) are actually copying.