Fix Rev's Staff 5

Kuma.1503

In a recent interview, CMC stated that keeping the channel time on staff 5 was important because this game needs clear telegraphs. I don't disagree with this statement. Staff 5 was difficult to avoid pre-nerf. Landing the full channel was more of a burden on the Rev not to miss it than it was on the opponent to and avoid it.

By all means, keep the wind up, but that should be more than enough trade off.

Staff 5 should have the self root removed

When you factor in the windup and the self root, the skill becomes nearly impossible to land against an opponent that isn't afk. We've reached the opposite end of the spectrum. Getting the skill to land relies more on the opponent messing up than it relies on the Rev playing well.

Now, lets say the skill does land. Let's say the Opponent misplays so badly that they manage to get hit by the entire skill. Our reward is a weak CC that we cannot follow up on, and approximatly 12 damage. Staff 5 has enough of a telegraph with the windup that it can afford to recieve some damage back. It adds an element of skill to landing it. Previously, you would try to land as many hits as possible because doing so was capable of putting out respectable damage.

In short: Remove the root, Add back some damage, keep the windup.

I 100% agree. I don't even main Rev, but it's obvious Staff 5 will more often than not miss because of how well telegraphed it is. It needs to be faster (so revert the cast time). Same thing with Deflecting Shot.

If not, rework the dang skills! Keep them as CC's though

I admit the skill is really unwieldy to use currently. It is still good, but it is... unatural to use. It completely breaks the flow of combat, for an otherwise rather fast weapon. I would propose a side argument to it : The idea of removing the root is Something I agree with completely, as it would make it flow a Lot better. On the other hand, instead of adding straight damage to it, why not lenghten the skill execution Slightly by adding 1 or 2 more strikes, and making the skill push us farther in a straight line ? Since now the invulnerability is on the channeling, that would make the skill more punishable as well, since longer animation means you cant control the push for longer, but landing it means you get more out of it. It increases the risk reward of it I feel.

If that's not possible, I'll settle for just unrooting the skill to be fair.

Cope with it like other classes do for example Reaper, that Grasping darkness hits 30% of the time and that executioner scythe looks cartoony as hell when running after someone to hit them or the animation on Headbutt that got all screwy after the nerf, it also roots you in place to do a wind up. They mentioned something about rifle 4 on engi also that it had a drawback, well when i look at Headbutt it has self stun also and it removes stability so there is a case that the engi skill should not be better anyway.You can look at that before it rewarded you too easy but now you have to think about how you manage your cc, also you should look at other abilities that do something like it so ask why this and that works this way and the other doesn't. I find Arenanet really inconsistent in their decisions on allot of skills.

@"Vancho.8750" said:Cope with it like other classes do for example Reaper, that Grasping darkness hits 30% of the time and that executioner scythe looks cartoony as hell when running after someone to hit them or the animation on Headbutt that got all screwy after the nerf, it also roots you in place to do a wind up. They mentioned something about rifle 4 on engi also that it had a drawback, well when i look at Headbutt it has self stun also and it removes stability so there is a case that the engi skill should not be better anyway.You can look at that before it rewarded you too easy but now you have to think about how you manage your cc, also you should look at other abilities that do something like it so ask why this and that works this way and the other doesn't. I find Arenanet really inconsistent in their decisions on allot of skills.

If i'm not mistaken what you're basically saying is "Git gud and adapt".

I'm a big fan of that mantra, I've been told this many times during my days of playing Smash competetively. Normally, I would begrudgingly agree with you here, but to adapt to the change implies that there is something that I, the rev in this case, can do to ensure that i land this consistently.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Staff 5 not only has a long wind up, it has a self root. What this means is that the direction the skill travels is locked in the moment you press the button. All anyone need do to avoid it is continue moving in any direction that is not directly in the path of the skill. It's so trivially easy to dodge that it can be done by pure accident.

It's not on the Rev to play well in order to land this. It's on the opponent to play poorly, and to add insult to injury, if your opponent happens to misplay so badly that they manage to get hit by a full channel, they're able to walk away without a scratch to their health bar. You can't even CC chain off of it because the instant you become mobile again, your opponent is also able to dodge.

Removing the root would at least give the Rev the ability to aim it. It would put some agency back in the hands of the Rev to play well if they want this to land (or at least bait a dodge). Adding some damage back would give some incentive to aim it well so that you land all the hits. It adds to the skill expression of the skill.