GW2 Steam?

I am aware that GW1 is on steam. I am also aware of NCsoft's aversion to Steam. However, I can think of 5 people right off the bat that need it. Granted these 5 do not represent the community at all, but since these 5 are only allowed to buy steam cash, and do not have the ability access to gem cards, and cannot use a credit card.... This hurts them.

In greater detail, they are not allowed to handle their own money. They live in another country where cards have the option of not being able to be used online, and their GameStop does not carry gem cards. Expacs are not available for gems. The game is not available on steam for them to use their money. I am glad GW2 is doing so well without steam. Isn't it time to reach those who may have steam?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Endless Soul.5178 said:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ANet's problem with Steam is that Steam takes 20% (?) off of each sale. That's a sizeable chunk of money.

They definitely take a huge chunk regardless. It also doesn't help that they have a monopoly on the PC gaming market. :\

Any game that refuses to get on board with Steam gets praise from me. For all the complaints I have about GW2, I can't say them selling out to Steam is one of them.

I admire that too, however, I have people that I know that cannot progress. They cannot buy gems, and I have to buy expac keys for some of them. I am aware of the 20% thing too, however, these people can only use steam. They cannot even use Origins. Any game not on steam they cannot support.

Are there any future plans to allow those who have paid in the past to get access to expacs without paying money? The current setup is difficult for them, and they no longer wish to be a charity case.

If they can buy steam cash, they can buy gems. Steam wallet is just money you transfered from your credit card to steam. So unless i'm missing something or they're one of those 2 people that make money exclusively by playing cs:go or something, then i don't see what the big deal is. You can buy gems the same way you buy steam cash.

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:

@Endless Soul.5178 said:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ANet's problem with Steam is that Steam takes 20% (?) off of each sale. That's a sizeable chunk of money.

They definitely take a huge chunk regardless. It also doesn't help that they have a monopoly on the PC gaming market. :\

Any game that refuses to get on board with Steam gets praise from me. For all the complaints I have about GW2, I can't say them selling out to Steam is one of them.

Steam isn't a monopoly though, just the most effective platform that majority have adopted. You even say in the same comments that games can decide to not get on board with them. You cannot do that in a monopoly.

@Veprovina.4876 said:If they can buy steam cash, they can buy gems. Steam wallet is just money you transfered from your credit card to steam. So unless i'm missing something or they're one of those 2 people that make money exclusively by playing cs:go or something, then i don't see what the big deal is. You can buy gems the same way you buy steam cash.

One would think. They buy steam cash from the store in the form of a gift card. The store does not have GW2 gems cards. Again they have no visa that works online. It is set for local only because they cannot be trusted with their own money.

These guildmates of mine have already expressed feelings about dropping the game. The sad fact is some do not have the ability to buy online. I was lucky enough to be in that situation but live in America. A place where there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Until I was able to handle my own money, I had to live off prepaid American Express, and prepaid visa. That is not an option for them.

@pandorasbox.6340 said:I admire that too, however, I have people that I know that cannot progress. They cannot buy gems, and I have to buy expac keys for some of them. I am aware of the 20% thing too, however, these people can only use steam. They cannot even use Origins. Any game not on steam they cannot support.

Are there any future plans to allow those who have paid in the past to get access to expacs without paying money? The current setup is difficult for them, and they no longer wish to be a charity case.I do not see how difficult it is for them when there are already options in place in game. It may not be inexpensive, but it is there.

• 2,000 Gems Digital Deluxe Upgrade
  • 2,400 Gems Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns—Digital Deluxe Upgrade
  • 2,400 Gems Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire—Digital Deluxe Upgrade

Gem Store Upgrades

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

@pandorasbox.6340 said:I admire that too, however, I have people that I know that cannot progress. They cannot buy gems, and I have to buy expac keys for some of them. I am aware of the 20% thing too, however, these people can only use steam. They cannot even use Origins. Any game not on steam they cannot support.

Are there any future plans to allow those who have paid in the past to get access to expacs without paying money? The current setup is difficult for them, and they no longer wish to be a charity case.I do not see how difficult it is for them when there are already options in place in game. It may not be inexpensive, but it is there.

Key point you missed there, they can't buy gems.

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

They cannot buy gems either. The game has to be on steam in order to allow them to buy gems. They do not have a credit card for use online. The ability to use it online has been blocked.

These people have Payees, representatives who handle money for those who cannot do it themselves. These people receive disability income from their country much like we have here with SSI, SSDI, and Social Security.

@pandorasbox.6340 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:If they can buy steam cash, they can buy gems. Steam wallet is just money you transfered from your credit card to steam. So unless i'm missing something or they're one of those 2 people that make money exclusively by playing cs:go or something, then i don't see what the big deal is. You can buy gems the same way you buy steam cash.

One would think. They buy steam cash from the store in the form of a gift card. The store does not have GW2 gems cards. Again they have no visa that works online. It is set for local only because they cannot be trusted with their own money.

These guildmates of mine have already expressed feelings about dropping the game. The sad fact is some do not have the ability to buy online. I was lucky enough to be in that situation but live in America. A place where there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Until I was able to handle my own money, I had to live off prepaid American Express, and prepaid visa. That is not an option for them.

I don't know where they are from, but i have a prepaid card in a bank where i don't even have my main account. And it's fine, i put money on and buy whatever, it works everywhere and i don't even have to care much about my credit card getting stolen cause it's a prepaid card, there's not much money on there at any time (which is a good thing).

So, unless they're underage or something, prepaid card would be the best way to go, and probably available anywhere.

Regardless... GW2 is not coming to steam. Steam, as said before takes a huge chunk of all the sales, and Anet doesn't need the Steam as a distribution platform so yeah...

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@pandorasbox.6340 said:

I don't know where they are from, but i have a prepaid card in a bank where i don't even have my main account. And it's fine, i put money on and buy whatever, it works everywhere and i don't even have to care much about my credit card getting stolen cause it's a prepaid card, there's not much money on there at any time (which is a good thing).

So, unless they're underage or something, prepaid card would be the best way to go, and probably available anywhere.

Regardless... GW2 is not coming to steam. Steam, as said before takes a huge chunk of all the sales, and Anet doesn't need the Steam as a distribution platform so yeah...

Most of them are from Europe. I am only telling you what I know from what they told me. You may be right. There may be other options they do not know about. I do not live there, so I do not know. Steam is their only choice unless other options arise. Yes, I tried the prepaid option with them. Most require a direct deposit. Since they are not in control of their own money, that is not an option.

They are adults. Disabled adults not able to control their own money. Representatives do that, but their job is to maintain their lifestyle. Not buy stuff online for them.

@Haishao.6851 said:

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:

Steam isn't a monopoly though, just the most effective platform that majority have adopted. You even say in the same comments that games can decide to not get on board with them. You cannot do that in a monopoly.

Yeah, in retrospect I used the wrong word. :x My bad. The word isn't coming to me but it's something that has a majority/market share of something, if that makes sense.

@pandorasbox.6340 said:

Most of them are from Europe. I am only telling you what I know from what they told me. You may be right. There may be other options they do not know about. I do not live there, so I do not. Steam is their only choice unless other options arise.

Well if they're not underage they can just go to any bank that offers prepaid cards and get one. I think most of them just ask that you deposit a certain amount of money on the card the first time (which you can all spend of course). If they're underage, some banks also offer prepaid cards for teenagers, but they need to get the card with the consent of a parent.

Or, if your guild is big enough, donate some gold to them, and let them buy gems with gold. Maybe not now because the exchange rate isn't exactly stellar, but that's another option. They can also just farm gold and get gems with gold. Would take some time but it's doable.

Anyway, that's pretty much all i can think of. Prepaid cards or gold to gems. That's the easiest solution if all they deal with in life is cash (paper currency).

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@pandorasbox.6340 said:

Most of them are from Europe. I am only telling you what I know from what they told me. You may be right. There may be other options they do not know about. I do not live there, so I do not. Steam is their only choice unless other options arise.

Well if they're not underage they can just go to any bank that offers prepaid cards and get one. I think most of them just ask that you deposit a certain amount of money on the card the first time (which you can all spend of course). If they're underage, some banks also offer prepaid cards for teenagers, but they need to get the card with the consent of a parent.

Or, if your guild is big enough, donate some gold to them, and let them buy gems with gold. Maybe not now because the exchange rate isn't exactly stellar, but that's another option. They can also just farm gold and get gems with gold. Would take some time but it's doable.

Anyway, that's pretty much all i can think of. Prepaid cards or gold to gems. That's the easiest solution if all they deal with in life is cash (paper currency).

Gold into gems sounds best. They do not have access to their bank much like I once did.

It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@Rhanoa.3960 said:

Key point you missed there,
they can't buy gems

Key Point you clearly missed Gems to Gold Exchange! Unless they are playing on a Free Account!

I'm not sure what Gems have to do with upgrading their accounts to Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire. You can't buy expansions with Gems. The upgrades mentioned above are only for upgrading an account from Standard to Deluxe. You must have purchased the expansion first with cash.

If they have access to a Game Stop, and would have been able to purchase Gem Cards there if the Game Stop carried them, why can't they purchase Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire through Game Stop?

Perhaps, your friends could ask their money-handlers to procure a (pre-paid) credit card for them with a fixed amount. /shrug

Good luck.

@Danikat.8537 said:It's highly unlikely the game will be released on Steam, because of the issues other people have mentioned. It's also unlikely 5 people in an unusual situation are going to persuade Anet to change their mind on that.

But is that really their only option? You've said the root of the problem is they're not allowed a bank card which can be used online because they are not allowed to manage their own money. Presumably there is someone else who either manages their money for them or helps them with it. Couldn't they ask that person to buy expansions and gems for them?

They can ask, but it will most likely be no. They have their expacs, they just don't want to put in the work to farm.

Archived