Concerning the giveaway

If you didn't read the news, Guild Wars 2 is giving away a free SteelSeries headset: https://gleam.io/wjY6C/guild-wars-2-x-steelseries-giveaway-summer-2020

Problem is, they ask you for your full name and email, and ANet does nothing to assure you that it won't be used for advertisements. So who here is entering? Are you sure your email won't be used for ads?

Guild Wars 2 (ArenaNet) isn't giving away anything to players. It's SteelSeries that's giving things away, and it's SteelSeries that is gathering information.

"The promoter is SteelSeries N.A. Corp. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition."

"By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions. Entrants and the winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current United States protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent."

https://gleam.io/wjY6C/guild-wars-2-x-steelseries-giveaway-summer-2020

If you have a beef, it's with SteelSeries, not ArenaNet.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Guild Wars 2 (ArenaNet) isn't giving away anything to players. It's SteelSeries that's giving things away, and it's SteelSeries that is gathering information.

"The promoter is SteelSeries N.A. Corp. There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition."

"By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions. Entrants and the winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current United States protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent."

https://gleam.io/wjY6C/guild-wars-2-x-steelseries-giveaway-summer-2020

ANet is advertising them, so they bear some responsibility.

They bear responsibility for another company's collection of data?
O...k...What do you want ArenaNet to do? Point you to the statement that SteelSeries has made concerning data collection? It's not like SteelSeries is hiding it. Anyone (and everyone should) can read the 'Terms and Conditions', just as I did.
ArenaNet is not the Sponsor, so they can't really make up the rules. They did provide some free game codes, which necessitate providing a name and address should one decide to use said game code. If you are concerned about ArenaNet having your name and address, you probably should not have registered to play the game.You can either believe SteelSeries' stated declaration...or not. Up to you.

I was going to say I'm not entering because I don't want any of the prizes, but one of the ways to enter is to follow GW2 on Twitter and I'm already doing that so I suppose I've entered by default?

If I was I wouldn't worry about the requirement to give them your information because I'm in the EU (if only for a few more months) and therefore covered by GDPR which supercedes their terms and conditions. (I went through this with Kung-fu Tea after that mess of a promotion, it's a bit of a pain to get it sorted but it does work.) If that wasn't the case it would come down to how I feel about Steel Series having that info. I don't know anything about them, so I'd have to do a bit of digging to see what's likely to happen to it.

If it was just Anet I wouldn't worry because I've already chosen to sign up for their marketing. I think they already have my real name too, they definitely have my email address which includes my real name, although apparently only a human can figure that out, lots of spam emails try to fill in first and last name from the email address and get it wrong.

@Danikat.8537 said:I was going to say I'm not entering because I don't want any of the prizes, but one of the ways to enter is to follow GW2 on Twitter and I'm already doing that so I suppose I've entered by default?

If I was I wouldn't worry about the requirement to give them your information because I'm in the EU (if only for a few more months) and therefore covered by GDPR which supercedes their terms and conditions. (I went through this with Kung-fu Tea after that mess of a promotion, it's a bit of a pain to get it sorted but it does work.) If that wasn't the case it would come down to how I feel about Steel Series having that info. I don't know anything about them, so I'd have to do a bit of digging to see what's likely to happen to it.

If it was just Anet I wouldn't worry because I've already chosen to sign up for their marketing. I think they already have my real name too, they definitely have my email address which includes my real name, although apparently only a human can figure that out, lots of spam emails try to fill in first and last name from the email address and get it wrong.

No, you aren't already entered by default for following GW2 on Twitter. You would have to verify that you do.And, again, SteelSeries states they are not/will not share personal information without prior consent. Just entering the Give-away does not give prior consent.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Guild Wars 2 (ArenaNet) isn't giving away anything to players. It's SteelSeries that's giving things away, and it's SteelSeries that is gathering information.

"By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions. Entrants and the winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material.
Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current United States protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
"

ANet is advertising them, so they bear some responsibility.

For what law?