Is it still possible to get Black Lion Keys from Map Completion?

Erye.2714

Your results are consistent with bad luck.

There's a 3% chance of that happening, assuming a 25% chance of a key dropping. If the rate is 1:3, then the odds drop to 0.8%.

Streaks happen and when the odds are less than 50-50, it's hard to know when you're on a lucky streak because you'd still get transmute charges more often than not. For example, to reach "parity" with your unlucky 12, you'd need only 4 keys out of the next 4 maps (if the true rate is 25%) or 6 keys in a row (for a 33% rate).

! Were any of the completions in Bjora Marches? If you completed the map during Icebrood Saga Episode 1, you already got to roll for a key. You could still "complete" the full map with Episode 2, but you wouldn't get to re-roll for a key. (I'm not sure if that mechanic was in place for Drizzlewood during E3.) Regardless, even without Icebrood maps, your luck is merely bad, not indicative of a change in drop rate.! edit: OP notes (below) that these were core maps only. Leaving the text visible so that anyone reading down the line is aware of the "no double-dipping" rule for map completion, since it's not well-documented on the wiki.

There's only a ~27% chance to get a key from map completion, according to drop research on the wiki. That means, on average, a bit less than one out of three times you complete a map you'll get a key, but RNG is unpredictable.

If you want guaranteed keys then play the story, there's five key drops until the end of HoT, once per character.

Sorry for posting in the wrong sub. This is my first time in the forums and I wasn't sure where to post.

I guess I'm really unlucky then. Does your magic find percentage affect the drop rate at all?

The maps I completed were:Malchors LeapCursed Shore x2Bloodtide coastLornar's Pass x2Snowden DriftsGendarran Fields x2QueensdaleKessex HillsDiessa Plateau

@"Erye.2714" said:I guess I'm really unlucky then.Depends if you consider three out of a hundred people (in similar circumstances) being simply unlucky or "really" unlucky.Don't get me wrong: it's depressing to get nothing 12 maps in a row. But overall, it's not that unusual.

Does your magic find percentage affect the drop rate at all?No.

The more complicated answer is

! You can behave as if there is no effect, because you wouldn't be able to notice it even if there were.!! According to ANet, magic find only affects drops from dead foes (or containers that simulate such drops), plus a tiny number of identified exceptions (Lunar New Years envelopes being the most important). The impact on Magic Find on such drops isn't verifiable without 1000s of such drops. (This was tested when Magic Find also affected unidentified gear bags.) The wiki has barely 1200 drops, none of which list the Magic Find at the time of opening, and even if it did, it would be hard to separate the impact of MF from random chance.!! Or, in brief, there's simply never going to be enough data to prove or disprove a claim about MF's impact on map completion. Accordingly, you might as well act as if there is no difference, because it's a lot of extra work for an effect that you can't see.

Sorry for posting in the wrong sub. This is my first time in the forums and I wasn't sure where to post.It's fine. Sometimes it's hard to know the best place, especially if you're new to the game or the forums.

If it's important to you to fix, you may self-report the post and use "other" to ask the mods to move it.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"vier.1327" said:Yep, they caped it like 2 years ago or so

For very large values of 2.

Key farming was limited to once per week by September 15, 2015 game

edit:
the estimate in my mind was also too low; I didn't realize how much time had flown until looking it up on the wiki.

Damn... The feeling of being old has stroke me as hard as a truck.