Tanking, How Do We Fix It?

manu.7539

@"Ubi.4136" said:Simple, remove PPT. Make kills the only thing that matters. That way, stacked servers can't hide in fully fortified, siege capped SMC every week AND still lose the match to stay in lower tiers. The stacked servers will be forced to move to higher tiers or be forced to feed kills to smaller servers (giving them loot and ranks) just to keep their easy matches.

that's a nice idea actually. at least highly slow down any non-kills related ppt. maybe a dynamic "worth" of ppk. (openfield/insideobjective attacker/insideobj. defender)

@"kamikharzeeh.8016" said:that's a nice idea actually. at least highly slow down any non-kills related ppt. maybe a dynamic "worth" of ppk. (openfield/insideobjective attacker/insideobj. defender)... ignoring the fact double ppk already exist (bloodlust) and the way to slow down ppt considerably is to cap things.

To me its always been amusing when people want only fights to matter, but they dont want to go through the effort of actually fighting.

Well unless my sarcasm meter is off and you made a joke.

@manu.7539 said:

I mean, attacking T3 objectives is just about some of the most unfun content in this game.

Well, its what excite me the most! Quite often I'm attacking them solo! Even in t1 I still do it with some nice success! :p

You must be attacking it during off-hours when nobody is online then. A 5 man squad protecting a T3 objective can hold it against almost anything. Exceptions being a map queue or a large golem rush.

Even in the case of trebbing to/from SMC or other objective, a couple of shield gens shut that down.

About the only thing that really does capture a T3 objective is running off-hours & throwing down as much siege as possible to burn down gates in record time and be in Lord's room before anyone from EBG can realistically respond.

Get rid of all servers.Make 3 servers/worlds. Green red blue.Make people choose a world.Stop transfers completely.This causes even distribution of players so no stacking and no tanking to run from stacked servers.Small weekly reward for winner server.Monthly reward for winner server.Every server does not get a special lollypop prize for participation.Server pride is restored.Desire to win is restored.Fear of having to fight against stronger server is gone .

@TheOneWhoSighs.7513 said:

I mean, attacking T3 objectives is just about some of the most unfun content in this game.

Well, its what excite me the most! Quite often I'm attacking them solo! Even in t1 I still do it with some nice success! :p

You must be attacking it during off-hours when nobody is online then.

I'm doing it at any hours, on any maps (mostly bl's) and the very most of the time vs our toughest opponent. When there is not to many actions on the map, then I know there is probably not too many caring eyes. I also tap alot of stuff to exhaust the scouts. I make them chase me all around the map and after a while they suspect another tap but I'm opening a keep whatever the tier. Not saying it works all the time but more often than u could expect. Scouting is a role that most players arent good at, lots of scouts arent good at fighting too, it helps alot.

@Lady Sapphirah.6234 said:Get rid of all servers.Make 3 servers/worlds. Green red blue.Make people choose a world.Stop transfers completely.This causes even distribution of players so no stacking and no tanking to run from stacked servers.Small weekly reward for winner server.Monthly reward for winner server.Every server does not get a special lollypop prize for participation.Server pride is restored.Desire to win is restored.Fear of having to fight against stronger server is gone .

So you make people choose a world permanently, and somehow you think this will end up with an even three way divide in the player base?Know what happens when players stop playing and one or two worlds starts getting less players? same effect as stacking.Red will probably end up least popular because hardly anyone likes desert borderland.There is no server pride, everything is green blue red, no one cares about names anymore or the people on those servers, it's only about their guild.Still no reason to win, you're not even moving in standings now.What's to stop people from starting new accounts to start on a different world?

There was a time, long ago, when I actually cared about which place my server finished in a match. Then I found out that the server we "hopped" lost guilds.After a few months of finishing in the same place week after week after week I realized that there was nothing I could do to improve the outcome of a match.

I started playing to have fun, and when I no longer had fun, I quit the game.

Anet made a game mode where the winning had no meaning.

There was a time when Anet decided to make winning have meaning and they called it a tournament. There were three tournaments.Each was an epic failure. After each WvW tournament the overall population of players declined, permanently.

because those tournaments been pretty crazy designed, i heard. some ppl burnt out bc u had to really have 24/7 coverage, which is for obvious reasons absurd in a video game. and back then it did afaik cost still gold to pay for objective upgrades? was 2012 or 13 till 2014 from what the wiki said.

the ppt system also was big time different back then, it became more forgiving. it would be still not fine if 24/7 would count again - big amounts of ppt are still done during nighttime on the heavy-ppt servers.

the braindrain by a lot of veterans that just quit the game is noticeable on most servers. i agree with @ sapphira about the weekly monthly rewards sorta. that'd give ppt any reason at least, not the useless state which it 100% has currently. @"XenesisII.1540" has a point, that due to all the movement server identity has died out simply. guilds are the last identity carriers. and alt accounting is still possible in a "serverlocked"-system.