Why is there no 1v1 PvP mode in this game? Is something wrong with me?

miifi.2150

@Quadox.7834 said:

@ellesee.8297 said:1v1 is the standard in 0 games lol.

basically every fighting game

I think you summed it up perfectly yourself - it's the standard in fighting games, which GW2 most certainly is not. You can probably scratch together a decent duelist build on any class in WvW where there is much more stat freedom, but in normalized spvp (and the ever-shrinking number of amulets), I think certain classes would be forced to sacrifice much more in order to attain a duelist level of coverage. The result would just be that some classes are inferior duelists, period.

Given how important kiting and terrain are to surviving at high levels of pvp in this game, of all things Smash Bros might be the one fighting game that comes anywhere close to demonstrating what 1v1s in GW2 might look like. There's substantial use of ledges and map-specific features in some matches, rather than straight combat. But even there, there's significant imbalance when it comes to 1v1s, as many matchups are known to be widely unfavorable for certain characters.

If we look hard enough there's probably some long-dead mmo that had a decent 1v1 format as a mainstay. Chances are such a game would be build significantly differently than GW2, so the analogy would likely fail.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@"ellesee.8297" said:1v1 is the standard in 0 games lol.

I think you summed it up perfectly yourself - it's the standard in fighting games, which GW2 most certainly is not. You can probably scratch together a decent duelist build on any class in WvW where there is much more stat freedom, but in normalized spvp (and the ever-shrinking number of amulets), I think certain classes would be forced to sacrifice much more in order to attain a duelist level of coverage. The result would just be that some classes are inferior duelists, period.

"The result would just be that some classes are inferior duelists, period."Yes, just like how some classes are inferior in 2v2s and yet we already have that gamemode, so it clearly isn't a problem is it, you absolute slug.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

@Hogwarts Zebra.8597 said:if they made 1v1 gamemode, literally all you'd see at top tier play is thief v thief. in open field 1v1, thief literally can never lose if they dont want to.

if they add a damage field on a timer like in 2v2/3v3, you'd see the same AOE spam meta as in our current gamemodes

Lmao no. Thief would be one of the 2 or 3 classes you would
never
see played at the top. Without being able to run away, thief cant do anything but lose.

uhhh nosimply look at thieves in wvw. that is what 1v1 arena without objectives/dmg field timer would look like. u also might wanna read the 2nd half of my post

@Hogwarts Zebra.8597 said:

@Hogwarts Zebra.8597 said:if they made 1v1 gamemode, literally all you'd see at top tier play is thief v thief. in open field 1v1, thief literally can never lose if they dont want to.

if they add a damage field on a timer like in 2v2/3v3, you'd see the same AOE spam meta as in our current gamemodes

never
see played at the top. Without being able to run away, thief cant do anything but lose.

uhhh nosimply look at thieves in wvw. that is what 1v1 arena without objectives/dmg field timer would look like. u also might wanna read the 2nd half of my post

Yeah? Thieves in WvW tend to gank people (or +1 if you want), and avoid almost all 1v1s because they lose. The damage field isnt even neccessary, if its just a small arena, thief still cant run and dies.

@UNOwen.7132 said:

never

Yeah? Thieves in WvW tend to gank people (or +1 if you want), and avoid almost all 1v1s because they
lose
. The damage field isnt even neccessary, if its just a small arena, thief still cant run and dies.

you are clearly either a thief main trying to make your class sound weak to avoid nerfs/get buffs, or you have not played enough to encounter a good thief.thief, especially DE, is a very potent 1v1er in wvw. the only reason the whole idea of "thief cant 1v1" exists is because in pvp you need to hold nodes, and thief sucks at that. Remove said nodes, and thief is an excellent duelist

@Quadox.7834 said:

"The result would just be that some classes are inferior duelists, period."Yes, just like how some classes are inferior in 2v2s and yet we already have that gamemode, so it clearly isn't a problem is it, you absolute slug.

Amazingly, you missed your own point again - 2v2 allows for your partner to cover some weaknesses - either directly providing something you're missing, or just running a superior duelist class. Good job, son.

@Hogwarts Zebra.8597 said:

never

Yeah? Thieves in WvW tend to gank people (or +1 if you want), and avoid almost all 1v1s because they
lose
. The damage field isnt even neccessary, if its just a small arena, thief still cant run and dies.

you are clearly either a thief main trying to make your class sound weak to avoid nerfs/get buffs, or you have not played enough to encounter a good thief.thief, especially DE, is a very potent 1v1er in wvw. the only reason the whole idea of "thief cant 1v1" exists is because in pvp you need to hold nodes, and thief sucks at that. Remove said nodes, and thief is an excellent duelist

I am neither. I am simply someone who has played against a lot of thieves, and has noticed a certain trend. Thief, especially DE, is one of the worst 1v1ers in WvW. Thief is very good at ganking. But for 1v1s, their standard solution is to ... run away. The reason the idea of "thief cant 1v1" exists is because thief cant 1v1. But lets take your explanation. Think about it for a second. If thief is an excellent duelist, why cant they hold nodes? After all, they could just win the 1v1 and hold the node. Its because thief is heavily reliant on being able to run away whenever they would lose the 1v1 (which is almost always). But if you run away from a node, you cant hold it.

Now what happens if you remove the node? Well, the thief can run away. But here is the thing, running away is the same as losing the 1v1. And if you, say, put thief into a small arena, where they cant run away? They die again. Here is the funny thing. People have had 1v1 tournaments already. Thief was usually rarely picked, and the few thieves that were played all ate kitten. Thief would be atrocious in a 1v1 gamemode, unless that 1v1 gamemode had no time limit and no area limit. And even then they wouldnt be good, they would just cause stalemates.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

Amazingly, you missed your own point again - 2v2 allows for your partner to cover some weaknesses - either directly providing something you're missing, or just running a superior duelist class. Good job, son.

I did not miss anything, you just don't know how 2v2 works. The fact that your partner can "cover your weaknesses" does not mean you can run any random shit build and be viable (unless of course your teammste is hardcarrying you). There is still a specific meta, specific builds that are better than the alternatives. A thief/guard comp is not exactly going to have a great time for example. Did you not see scourge in past 2v2/3v3 seasons? The game is as little balanced around 2v2 as it is around 1v1 - i.e. partly but not fully. Why would your partner be running a "superior duelist class", he would be running a " superior 2v2 class".

@UNOwen.7132 said:

never

lose

I am neither. I am simply someone who has played against a lot of thieves, and has noticed a certain trend. Thief, especially DE, is one of the
worst
1v1ers in WvW. Thief is very good at ganking. But for 1v1s, their standard solution is to ... run away. The reason the idea of "thief cant 1v1" exists is because thief cant 1v1. But lets take your explanation. Think about it for a second. If thief is an excellent duelist, why cant they hold nodes? After all, they could just win the 1v1 and hold the node. Its because thief is
heavily
reliant on being able to run away whenever they would lose the 1v1 (which is
almost always
). But if you run away from a node, you cant hold it.

Now what happens if you remove the node? Well, the thief can run away. But here is the thing, running away is the same as losing the 1v1. And if you, say, put thief into a small arena, where they cant run away? They die again. Here is the funny thing. People have had 1v1 tournaments already. Thief was usually rarely picked, and the few thieves that were played all ate kitten. Thief would be atrocious in a 1v1 gamemode, unless that 1v1 gamemode had no time limit
and
no area limit. And even then they wouldnt be good, they would just cause stalemates.

this is a false explanation. First off, you confuse kiting with "running away". thief needs space to kite to win most 1v1s--it does not need to run away completely (aka get out of combat).

You ask: "If thief is an excellent duelist, why cant they hold nodes?"Because winning the NODE is vastly different from winning an actual open field DUEL. There are countless meta 1v1ers who cannot kill anything. Decap druid and decap scrapper for instance. This is because a duel in pvp is won by taking the node. Actually securing the kill is irrelevant. That's why conquest meta is dominated by classes that shit out AOEs/knockbacks that force the opponent off node.

This changes completely in an actual 1v1 deathmatch. Thief's lack of AOE becomes irrelevant. in fact, it becomes an advantage, since most AOE skills are basically wasted slots in an open field duel. it's mobility becomes much more significant--you do not need to worry about losing the node if you kite away. It's stealth loses it's only disadvantage: losing cap/decap contribution on node.

In essence, every single one of thief's disadvantages in standard conquest becomes either irrelevant or an actual advantage once nodes are gone.