Example of the "blink targeting bug" from Helseth's stream

I have previously made a thread and a video about this, but because things don't tend to get fixed unless people complain about them enough, I'm making this second post with a clip example of the blink targeting bug, from Helseth's stream.

The bug basically makes it so that you blink onto your selected enemy instead of where your cursor is.

It is not because of having the "lock ground target on current target" option checked - that option doesn't even work for blink. However, the bug may have been introduced the same patch that option was added to the game. At the very least, I can say that this specific blink bug has not been in the game since release.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FuriousTallNigiriPipeHype-qj0VnS-D6ZxfejS5

Edit: new clip link

Edited by Quadox.7834
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shao.7236 said:

And it's just Blink? I see some alarming facts in that clip. Obvious lack of line of sight in his attempt to port to the location, there is also no cursor AoE to be seen.

I suspect he uses setting that uses skill instantly on click, which is why there is no aoe marker

6 hours ago, Shao.7236 said:

And it's just Blink? I see some alarming facts in that clip. Obvious lack of line of sight in his attempt to port to the location, there is also no cursor AoE to be seen.

1. There was no line of sight on the first click, then he moved his cusor closer to the edge of the platform and clicked again. That's when he got ported to the thief.

2. He uses instant ground targets, so there is no aoe marker.

Edited by Quadox.7834

yeah all the blink bugs are annoying, you either cannot even blink on flat ground for no reason or it goes full cd with blinking you on spot or even backwards. the no valid path thing also gets more and more out of hand and blink soon reaches a point where it kills me more often than it will save me and i start to consider to use something else what will be a big hit for mesmers viability/ survivability/ mobility since blink is more or less mandatory when working as intended...

All I can add to it is that after playing over 2000 games on mesmer, with action camera on for about 99% of my gameplay, I have NEVER had this specific blink bug happen to me.

only stupid no ports, and teleport in place bug, or teleport 1 step behind blink, nothing more.

Edited by Leonidrex.5649

2 hours ago, Quadox.7834 said:

RIP said in chat "it's because your camera moves because you stand next to a wall"

I don't know what he means by that or if this is true, just mentioning it here.

This could be true or a meme. It’s also worth noting that his target area is notably buggy. It incredibly uncommon, but in the side areas the boxes and henges have strange teleport issues- I’ve even tested this with people and it’s technically possible to shortbow 5 on top of the hedges and boxes if you target it right.

I feel this is possibly contributing however I cannot say with much certainty since Mesmer is my worst class.

Edited by RedAvenged.5217
Spelling

39 minutes ago, RedAvenged.5217 said:

This could be true or a meme. It’s also worth noting that his target area is notably buggy. It incredibly uncommon, but in the side areas the boxes and henges have strange teleport issues- I’ve even tested this with people and it’s technically possible to shortbow 5 on top of the hedges and boxes if you target it right.

I feel this is possibly contributing however I cannot say with much certainty since Mesmer is my worst class.

I can say this bug can happen in all sorts of places on all maps

13 hours ago, Quadox.7834 said:

RIP said in chat "it's because your camera moves because you stand next to a wall"

I don't know what he means by that or if this is true, just mentioning it here.

he means that helseth mouse/ camera was clipped on the corner of the wall when he pressed the button. you also can provoke the bug by having your mouse over the ui when trying to blink (like you wanna port max range with the option of having ground based stuff clipped at max range) so you just throw your mouse pointer as far away as you can get, what often means you cross the line of the match timer on the above edge in the middle of your screen. then you teleport on spot too. 

this is stuff you can avoid when paying attention to it. but there are still lof of situations where you port on spot or backwards for no reason. so there must be some other hidden bugs to it aside from ui and objective clipping.

and ofc the increasing no valid path problem even on flat ground is ridiculous too. 

Edited by JazzXman.7018

1 hour ago, JazzXman.7018 said:

he means that helseth mouse/ camera was clipped on the corner of the wall when he pressed the button. you also can provoke the bug by having your mouse over the ui when trying to blink (like you wanna port max range with the option of having ground based stuff clipped at max range) so you just throw your mouse pointer as far away as you can get, what often means you cross the line of the match timer on the above edge in the middle of your screen. then you teleport on spot too. 

this is stuff you can avoid when paying attention to it. but there are still lof of situations where you port on spot or backwards for no reason. so there must be some other hidden bugs to it aside from ui and objective clipping.

and ofc the increasing no valid path problem even on flat ground is ridiculous too. 

yeah but the one where you hold the mouse over the UI makes you blink in place, that's a different bug. Interesting about the camera clippibg thing, ill have to test that

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Quadox.7834 said:

yeah but the one where you hold the mouse over the UI makes you blink in place, that's a different bug. Interesting about the camera clippibg thing, ill have to test that

i never had a bug where it ports me directly to the target. the things i had until now were always better explainable with objective clipping or ui bug, make me port backwards or on spot. like on khylo i was leaving from mid point trying to blink forward and down from the point for a faster decap on far and got ported back on top to the wood ramp thingy. somehow just happend that during running forward and start falling the blink cast (yes its a cast since i also manage to interupt it big lol) just clipped on the wood thingy outside of the higher mid point and ported me back up mid-fall more or less.

but as said, there are a lot of weird bugs with port on spot or backward where i couldnt find any explanation. so there are some other hidden bugs active and your "port to target thingy" might be one of them, also it never happened to me until now

Edited by JazzXman.7018

i never had a bug where it ports me directly to the target. the things i had until now were always better explainable with objective clipping or ui bug, make me port backwards or on spot. like on khylo i was leaving from mid point trying to blink forward and down from the point for a faster decap on far and got ported back on top to the wood ramp thingy. somehow just happend that during running forward and start falling the blink cast (yes its a cast since i also manage to interupt it big lol) just clipped on the wood thingy outside of the higher mid point and ported me back up mid-fall more or less.

but as said, there are a lot of weird bugs with port on spot or backward where i couldnt find any explanation. so there are some other hidden bugs active and your "port to target thingy" might be one of them, also it never happened to me until now

I think blink in general can bug out when you have MS, cast it first but it actually goes off when you are in the air and it just ports you back from where you jumped, happened to me several times too.
teleports are a mess in general, heck this game is a mess in general lol

35 minutes ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

I think blink in general can bug out when you have MS, cast it first but it actually goes off when you are in the air and it just ports you back from where you jumped, happened to me several times too.
teleports are a mess in general, heck this game is a mess in general lol

MS?

That's weird that you haven't had the "port to target" blink bug, I get that pretty regularly. Can I ask a couple of questions about your settings?

1. Do you play max zoomed out with max FoV?

2. Do you play on instant ground target?

3. Do you have "allow camera teleport" on?

4. Do you have "allow skill re-targeting" on?

5. Do you have "lock ground target and maximum range" on?

1 hour ago, Quadox.7834 said:

That's weird that you haven't had the "port to target" blink bug, I get that pretty regularly. Can I ask a couple of questions about your settings?

1. Do you play max zoomed out with max FoV?

2. Do you play on instant ground target?

3. Do you have "allow camera teleport" on?

4. Do you have "allow skill re-targeting" on?

5. Do you have "lock ground target and maximum range" on?

1. yes

2.yes

3. no (i think, will check when im on. edit: no is correct answer)

4. yes

5. yes

Edited by JazzXman.7018

53 minutes ago, JazzXman.7018 said:

1. yes

2.yes

3. no (i think, will check when im on)

4. yes

5. yes

Everything is the same except maybe 3 then, so that setting should be tested. I can't test it though bcs I'm banned and anet refuse to tell me why *shrug* :/

Edited by Quadox.7834

4 hours ago, JazzXman.7018 said:

im using geforce and a gpn (not a vpn) for better internet since years oO

1 hour ago, Quadox.7834 said:

Yeah I used Geforce Now but that was like 8 months ago last and I used VPN but that was like 2 years+ ago. So it could be that but i doubt it.

My gf had 2 of her accounts banned for using GeForce  Now. Neither were given an explanation when it happened, but both were overturned and she was sent an email saying they have an automated system that commonly bans people who use VPNs (even though she wasn’t, she was playing through GeForce Now).