"Your account has been blocked for security purposes"

1 hour ago, Quadox.7834 said:

I contacted support and they told me that my account has been perma(!) banned (I suppose if i log out now I won't be able to log back in). I have no idea why either, I have never ever hacked or account shared or anything of the sort. Meanwhile Miaz is doing monthly AT on his "Tauren Chad" account on which he has openly hacked on stream...

What is ANet even.

I don't think that a reason for the ban it too much to ask. You can update your ticket and ask for the reason.

11 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I don't think that a reason for the ban it too much to ask. You can update your ticket and ask for the reason.

Yeah I did, I hope they reply. Pretty ridiculous that they PERMA ban my 6k+ hours playtime account that I've had since launch instantly without warning and without giving a reason, without me breaking ToS in any way I know of.

Edited by Quadox.7834

26 minutes ago, Quadox.7834 said:

Yeah I did, I hope they reply. Pretty ridiculous that they PERMA ban my 6k+ hours playtime account that I've had since launch instantly without warning and without giving a reason, without me breaking ToS in any way I know of.

It is hard to judge about this as forum user. There have been enough instances in which a player plays the innocent angel at the forums after clear misconduct/hacking/gold selling/botting etc. but there also have been users who got banned for things they did not commit. It is advisable to re-check the rules of conduct to see if there are any things you missed.

Other players can't help you here. Even if a ban can cause great stress you have the best chances if you keep patient and civil, even in case of an unjust ban. It is a terrible feeling to be in a situation where you are as dependent as now, but keep it civil because getting angry will not help your case.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
Iterative writing
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

It is hard to judge about this as forum user. There have been enough instances in which a player plays the innocent angel at the forums after clear misconduct/hacking/gold selling/botting etc. but there also have been users who got banned for things they did not commit. It is advisable to re-check the rules of conduct to see if there are any things you missed.

Other players can't help you here. Even if a ban can cause great stress you have the best chances if you keep patient and civil, even in case of an unjust ban. It is a terrible feeling to be in a situation where you are as dependent as now, but keep it civil because getting angry will not help your case.

Oh I'm not that angry, actually surprisingly chill. I think if I were a PvEr instead of a PvPer with like a ton of legendaries and kitten, I would probably be way more upset.

PvEr here, who just finished their 5th legy on their main acct and who also just got banned on every single acct the own: Not chilled out.

I got banned on this one last night, then on appeal unbanned. Until this mess gets straightened out, its the only one I still have.

Edited by embershiny.1056
  • Like 1

I have used a VPN while playing on my account (to get lower ping) but the last time was 2 years ago or so, so it wouldn't be that.

However, I have used my account with Geforce Now in 2020, so I suppose that could be the cause for the ban? I have heard some others get falsely banned for that.

Edited by Quadox.7834

1 hour ago, Quadox.7834 said:

Now I got a warning for "accusing players of abusive behavior" in this thread. Where?! Like actually, can someone tell me where I did this.

I read it in your start post before it was edited out.

But the mods won't be happy if you discuss moderation here. See the forum rules here:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/94822-forum-moderation-and-infraction-system/

So if you want to contact ArenaNet about the moderation, kindly write an e-mail to Forums@arena.net. If you just want to discuss it, you will have to do so outside of the official forums.

Not my rules, but as we are guest here at the ANet forums we have to do with their ruleset.

Literally anybody who knows me ingame can confirm I have never hacked, botted, wintraded or anything of the sort.

I haven't thought about this before, but withdrawing service like this without providing the reasoning should honestly be illegal, it's kinda like a boss firing somebody without giving a reason or a court sentencing somebody without saying the reason (obviously on a smaller, less important scale).

Edited by Quadox.7834

41 minutes ago, Quadox.7834 said:

Literally anybody who knows me ingame can confirm I have never hacked, botted, wintraded or anything of the sort.

I haven't thought about this before, but withdrawing service like this without providing the reasoning should honestly be illegal, it's kinda like a boss firing somebody without giving a reason or a court sentencing somebody without saying the reason (obviously on a smaller, less important scale).

They're banning it in this reason for security reasons. That means that your account might have been hacked.

If they detect that, they will lock the account. Does this mean that it can't be a false positive? Absolutely not.

But in the end, this type of ban is temporarily, mainly to protect the account before more damage can be done.
This ban message doesn't point to a permanent ban (yet). No reason is given in the launcher, but support will be able to tell you why this happened and tell you what to do.

As wether or not this is illegal? This is certainly legal, they locked your account to protect you. If you are in the EU, you have the right to request the data used to ban you due to GDPR. But, once again, just contact support.

22 minutes ago, Kevjoe.6172 said:

They're banning it in this reason for security reasons. That means that your account might have been hacked.

If they detect that, they will lock the account. Does this mean that it can't be a false positive? Absolutely not.

But in the end, this type of ban is temporarily, mainly to protect the account before more damage can be done.
This ban message doesn't point to a permanent ban (yet). No reason is given in the launcher, but support will be able to tell you why this happened and tell you what to do.

It does, in one of the emails it says "this account has been closed and is ineligible to be reopened for any reason, under any circumstance".

As wether or not this is illegal? This is certainly legal, they locked your account to protect you. If you are in the EU, you have the right to request the data used to ban you due to GDPR. But, once again, just contact support.

I know it is legal, I'm saying it shouldn't be. They didn't lock my account to protect me. And they won't give information - quote "we are unable to release any information about the investigation, our tools, or our methods".

By the way, both of those quotes are standard-responses that they copy-paste. I've seen the exact same words in other posts on reddit. For example this one. Funnily enough, one guy in the comments replied "What specifically did it say you did wrong? Usually bans are not ambiguous." and "As I said before, "ambiguity" isn't really something they're allowed to do". Good laughs.

Edited by Quadox.7834

This is a hard one to advise as complete outsider. You can google a bit on the reply you got from support. It seems to be a canned standard reply. In some cases, people have been unbanned after getting this reply. Sometimes a payment issue can cause this outcome as well. Some users of GW2 got this reply and some users of Lineage II got it. All titles of the same company NCSoft.

Here is what you can do: Stay diplomatic, constructive, kind and to the point at all times. Don't lie. Think for yourself. (Don't post it here, just think for yourself) Did you do anything that breaks the rules of conduct? Again, don't lie. ArenaNet can check logs etc to see what happened.

1. If you did break the rules: Then your best option is to accept that you got a penalty. I would wait at least two months. Longer is better. You got a penalty after all. Then after being banned for a period kindly contact support again, admit your wrongdoing, promise that you learned your lesson and kindly ask for a second chance. It will be up to ArenaNet to decide.
  2. If you did not break the rules: Don't give up. Stay civil. And kindly request your ticket to be escalated to a senior support staff member. In my opinion, you have the right of an explanation at minimum.
Iterative writing
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

This is a hard one to advise as complete outsider. You can google a bit on the reply you got from support. It seems to be a canned standard reply. In some cases, people have been unbanned after getting this reply. Sometimes a payment issue can cause this outcome as well. Some users of GW2 got this reply and some users of Lineage II got it. All titles of the same company NCSoft.

Here is what you can do: Stay diplomatic, constructive, kind and to the point at all times. Don't lie. Think for yourself. (Don't post it here, just think for yourself) Did you do anything that breaks the rules of conduct? Again, don't lie. ArenaNet can check logs etc to see what happened.

1. If you did break the rules: Then your best option is to accept that you got a penalty. I would wait at least two months. Longer is better. You got a penalty after all. Then after being banned for a period kindly contact support again, admit your wrongdoing, promise that you learned your lesson and kindly ask for a second chance.
  2. If you did not break the rules: Don't give up. Stay civil. And kindly request your ticket to be escalated to a senior support staff member. In my opinion, you have the right of an explanation at minimum.

Thanks. Yeah, I searched for the statement on the Gw2 reddit and found that post from yesterday that I linked. Since Lineage players also got the same message, we can at least know that the support is outsourced to NCsoft (not a surprise obviously).

If I had done something bad like hacking or botting or whatever, I would just cut my losses and think "hey it was nice while it lasted", it is really because I haven't (and because they won't give their reasoning) that I am doing this. If I knew that I deserved a perma ban I wouldn't spend all this effort.

I send an e-mail earlier with my theories as to what could have flagged my account, and asked them if they could confirm if one of them was indeed the issue. Here is what I wrote:

1. Showcasing bugs on my youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCGc2JMKiE8HOpQ_USl2A8kA
But these bugs are not exploits i.e. they don't give you any advantage.

2. Using Geforce Now. I used this service with gw2 last years, I know some people got banned from that. Using Geforce Now is obviously not rule-breaking however.

3. Verbal harassment. I was mean to a thief player in PvP after he started by trashtalking me and saying that I was bad and was just spamming. This was on my alt PRACTICEMESMER.4318. I then switched to my main account Quadox.7834 and challenged him to a duel. (Childish, maybe, but not malicious).

4. I have made many (f2p) alt accounts on my IP. But having alts is not rule-breaking (provided you don't use them for botting or match manipulation or something, which I have never done), for example MightyTeapot has over 30 Guild Wars 2 accounts.

But they haven't replied yet and they honestly probably won't as it is more than likely a low-level support I've been talking with. Do you think I should wait a while (how long?) and then open a new ticket, asking to be elevated to senior support staff?

Yeah, don't create duplicate tickets. Update your current one. You can also mention the ticket number here (Just the number). While support does not regularly read the forums, it sometimes can help to get attention to your ticket.

51 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Unless the Support Team has recently moved, they are in-house, as proven by a statement by Gaile Gray, and by periodic job listings at ArenaNet. 

Creating duplicate tickets is frowned upon; it's best to update your current ticket.

Good luck.

Well they did fire a lot of people and restructure quite recently right? And iirc, it was said that NCsoft would be stepping in a bit more. And the fact that Lineage gets the exact same support (down to the specific sentences used) fuels this suspicion. Oh well, no matter.

Edited by Quadox.7834

50 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Yeah, don't create duplicate tickets. Update your current one. You can also mention the ticket number here (Just the number). While support does not regularly read the forums, it sometimes can help to get attention to your ticket.

Ticket number: 8094969