Regarding mantras

Malitias.8453

They are easier to use, but have less depth amd feel less unique.
To me, mantras were instant casts that are able to be recharged with a cast animantion, and I really liked that feeling.
I do think the current iteration is better than the last, but I don't think it's necessary for them to loose half their identitiy.
What I'd prefer is a version where when there are no charges left, pressing the associated button starts the cast-animation, which (when finished) forwards the recharge timer by a certain amount.
For example, if you'd need 3 more seconds for your first charge when finishing the manual recharge, you'd have 1 charge and need 3 seconds until you have your 2nd charge.
Traits could increase the amount if charges gained from manual recharging as well maybe.
Just my 2 cents.
I enjoy the convenience of the new system, but I miss the identity and depths of the old one as well.

• Haha 1

I like the change, but then I didn't like using mantras before. I've often thought they sounded useful, but I don't play mesmer much so whenever I did use them I'd always forget to charge them up in advance, and then they became too much of an annoyance to use and I'd just pick something else instead. I agree they're not very exciting to use now, but for me 'dull but useful' is still better than something that's not worth using at all.

I do like the idea of using the 'cast' to speed up the recharge instead of having to do it before you can use them. I think that would be easier to remember because I'd do it after a battle (or during a battle if there's time) and most professions or builds have some sort of 'reset' to do after a battle, like going back to the weapon set you like to open with, putting away engineer kits and turrets, soulbeasts unmerging their pet, elementalists swapping back to the element/s they use first and so on, so it would be less of a weird change in pace for that one build. Plus if you forget it's not as much of a big deal, it just means they take longer to recharge.

• Like 1

Ive been giving mantras a Lot of thought with the changes and i think the Best and easiest way to implement them would be as following. 

Every mantra gives a special Charge. After 3 charges, the next mantra used would have it's effects increased. 

That way You can choose which powered effect You prefer for each situation.

This could Even be implemented as a trait.

Cheers

Yes, basically for me the only flaw was having to reload the mantra in combat if, by necessity, I had to get to the third use (but I learned to find "appropriate" moments to do so and even now I continue to load the mantra every time I change the map, luring some beasts against, lol).

Agreeing with the fact that, for rotation, using it only 2 times out of 3 is a bit disappointing, I am happy with the reworking from the mechanical point of view, but not from the visual-auditory one.

The different icons of the same skill were beautiful, as well as the initial animation and the typical phrases that the character sometimes said (which, on the one hand, I must say that they also helped me to understand what I was doing even without looking).

If they just can't come to a different compromise, maybe they could somehow re-insert the initial animation of a time and, occasionally, the typical phrases, for example when you press to use the last charge, right?
At least in this way, from a practical point of view, having a less "flashy" graphics than the previous one (which caught the eye much more), everything would be more evident even while you are distracted by other factors in combat! OwO