Scourge is just masking a bigger problem

DanSH.6143

The real issue is that 2v2 is an extremely unbalanced game mode. Let's say Scourge gets nerfed to oblivion, then matches will be flooded with:

- tanky Condi Mirage/mesmer that barely dies 2v1

- prot Holo that barely dies 2v1

- actually any holo

- support guard

- Lich Form

A deathmatch in a small arena will always promote tanky specs that don't die.  basically specs that no one enjoys fighting. 

The game isn't even well balanced for Conquest, it's definitely not suited for a 2v2 deathmatch.

Back in vanilla there were 1v1 custom arenas with rules, banning certain talents and abilities, then it was actually fun to duel. I believe if there was a special balancing for 2v2 that would ban certain abilities, like rez signets, moa, lich form, rez talents and extreme tankiness talents, the game mode could be fun.

As it is now, 2v2 as an off-season is just super toxic, 3v3 was more enjoyable even though 50% of the matches each team had support guard + scourge in it, that's how unfun 2v2 is.

It seems to me most players prefer Conquest over 2v2, if you want people to play 2v2, maybe add it to unranked where it belongs.

• Like 3

Who would have though that powercreeping most classes via e-speces into oblivion would create such problems?
I would like to see seasons in which you could use either Core, HoT or PoF specces, this would show what is underperforming and overperforming rather quickly.
I'm pretty sure that A-net is too lazy to implement such "restrictions", even though it seems they're capable of "turning on/off" traits/skills/etc without hassle of updating game, the problem would be with implementing it into actual PvP matches.

• Like 1

Kinda reminds me of hte issue with wow. 

In world of warcarft balancing was a issue between 2v2 3v3 and bgs, since each has different strengths and weaknesses.

Take for instance in bgs where warlocks had cover from other folks to hide behind while they threw fireballs, then take for instance arenas in 3v3 and 2v2 Where melee have a easier time or in 1v1.

I think the same applies in GW2. Balancing is clearly a issue between 2v2 SPVP and WVW, since each one has something different That works in each mode. 

Nec are so strong in WVW because you can have multiple at once stacked with aoes and you have huge squads of enemies who are in 1 area in blobs and groups of folks. Some classes aren't as good in blobs thieves generally have issues with having a viable build in blobs.

Maybe a new rule or something for 2v2 to limit what kinda builds  or something? Nerfing a class for 2v2 will effect WVW And SPVP, and sometimes something might be strong in WVW but underpowered in Spvp. or vice versa.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Guirssane.7082 said:

Why can't we just have 5v5 all the time? It's way funnier and better balanced than 2v2.

5v5 is definitely better balased since the classes are balanced around it, but fun is subjective therefore not a valid argument. There are many people which enjoy 2v2 and want more pvp modes not only 5v5 conquest

Edited by razaelll.8324
  • Like 2

You're not wrong. In fact you've just described the phenomenon that's been occurring in PvP since the Feb patch dropped. 

[Insert Class here] is OP

Community complains about class

Class gets nerfed

Brief period of celebration. "PvP is almost fixed, maybe nerf Y too and it'll be good"

New outlier appears. Turns out the previous outlier was "masking" it

[Insert new class here] is OP

and the cycle continues indefinitely. 

There is certainly a problem here, and i'll tell you this. It's not power creep. Thinking that next nerf you want will fix things is an exercise in futility. 

Of course, we can test it. Prot Holo and Scourge are witch hunt targets number 1 right now. Once they're gone something else broken will take their place. Will it be power rev, abusing the new resolution boon to cover their previous condi weakness? Maybe people will realize how destructive Spite Reaper is? 

Tune in next time to find out!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1