Will soundtracks ever be released on CD?

Is there any chance the GW2 soundtracks will get released on CD or any other type of physical media at some point in the future? Square have been releasing Blu-ray's for s while now that also contain art work as you play back, that would be pretty cool! It's not that I don't use streaming services, i'd just rather have a CD. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jemdarr.2158 said:

CD? What year is it?

😂 

You joke but what if the streaming service you use decides to stop streaming content? Or internet is down? Or god forbid they remove albums from your chosen service? You don't actually own it, you are just being given permission to listen to it. I'm not a fan. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

In that case you have it as a file on your pc.

e: btw your "but if they close" is as good as an argument as "when your house burns down your CD are lost". Music that is already digital will never cease to exist as long as our civilisation exists.

Edited by jemdarr.2158
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty sure Amazon has a way to download songs/soundtracks you buy onto your computer.  Back in the day, you could put it on a CD from there.  It's been a bunch of years since I've had a computer that runs CDs, so I don't know if you can still do that, but at least the soundtrack would be on your computer and not internet-dependent, if that helps.

• Since it seems no one here knows....  let me tell you the tale of the Composer and the Story teller. 

In a time long ago, when the ages of Tyria were slightly younger then they are now, there existed two muses.  Neither Gods, nor dragons, nor mist walker, they are more primordial than primordial.   Storyteller was tasked with compiling the history and future of this world.  In pictures, in writing, thoughts, fears, hopes, all that is and all that will be.  And to the composer was tasked to give that story a voice.  Every emotion, every sensation, a tangible quality to which the writings and artistry of Storyteller could not accomplish alone. 

And for a time they were successful.  But when these two first came together to begin their work, there was a contract.  One that defined what each was to do, and what each would decide the fate for.  A split that was seemingly uncommon for its time.   Thus the Composer and his Guild, "The Directsong", would facilitate distribution of his music in places where the Stroyteller's guild had not included as part of the Chronicles they had pressed.   However, each would contribute to a compendium for this project.  And thus the first master works was given to those who sought it. 

Years would pass, and again the two muses would meet again to continue their work further in this world.  For there were new stories to be recorded, and too were new voice to accompany it.   And again a compendium was constructed. But when the time came to release this master works to the world, many were without a voice.  In the time since, many have sought answers as to why this was... but answers remain few and cryptic.  Some have managed to obtain the sacred Disks of Songs; but all there is now is perhaps all that will ever be.  The Directsong guild has since disappeared from the light, and is now spoken only in whispers of forgotten tales.   The truth possibly buried beyond reach of even the most daring of Priory Scholars.  A Frustrating situation seeing as the Composer still creates to this day; but through him no answers have been ever obtained.   At least not ones that satisfy the questions being asked of him.   But for what its worth, the Composer has made his thoughts known of the Ethereal Bandits; ones who would gathered his works against his will, and offered to any who seek it. 

Not much is known in that time until Mordremoth's awakening.  Though in the era since, a new guild of Muses has taken up the mantle of "voice giver" to the storyteller's chronicles.  And the Composer has not been spoken of since.... at least not in polite company. 

But in my travels I HAVE heard of other tales of the Composer.  And it seems his history is long and storied.  Others have sought him to aid in their works; many of those well known legends among many circles.  Last I heard, he was traveling the NORTHERN lands to write his DIARIES.  But that too seemed to have been wrought with peril, shrouded in mystery, despite several chapters of which have been sung by the ethereal mist ways that connect all in our modern life.  Whats to come next is unclear. 

Edited by starlinvf.1358
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Tiamat.8254 said:

😂

You joke but what if the streaming service you use decides to stop streaming content? Or internet is down? Or god forbid they remove albums from your chosen service? You don't actually own it, you are just being given permission to listen to it. I'm not a fan. 

So what is stopping you from downloading the tracks and burning them to a CD?

5 hours ago, starlinvf.1358 said:
  • Since it seems no one here knows....  let me tell you the tale of the Composer and the Story teller. 

In a time long ago, when the ages of Tyria were slightly younger then they are now, there existed two muses.  Neither Gods, nor dragons, nor mist walker, they are more primordial than primordial.   Storyteller was tasked with compiling the history and future of this world.  In pictures, in writing, thoughts, fears, hopes, all that is and all that will be.  And to the composer was tasked to give that story a voice.  Every emotion, every sensation, a tangible quality to which the writings and artistry of Storyteller could not accomplish alone. 

And for a time they were successful.  But when these two first came together to begin their work, there was a contract.  One that defined what each was to do, and what each would decide the fate for.  A split that was seemingly uncommon for its time.   Thus the Composer and his Guild, "The Directsong", would facilitate distribution of his music in places where the Stroyteller's guild had not included as part of the Chronicles they had pressed.   However, each would contribute to a compendium for this project.  And thus the first master works was given to those who sought it. 

Years would pass, and again the two muses would meet again to continue their work further in this world.  For there were new stories to be recorded, and too were new voice to accompany it.   And again a compendium was constructed. But when the time came to release this master works to the world, many were without a voice.  In the time since, many have sought answers as to why this was... but answers remain few and cryptic.  Some have managed to obtain the sacred Disks of Songs; but all there is now is perhaps all that will ever be.  The Directsong guild has since disappeared from the light, and is now spoken only in whispers of forgotten tales.   The truth possibly buried beyond reach of even the most daring of Priory Scholars.  A Frustrating situation seeing as the Composer still creates to this day; but through him no answers have been ever obtained.   At least not ones that satisfy the questions being asked of him.   But for what its worth, the Composer has made his thoughts known of the Ethereal Bandits; ones who would gathered his works against his will, and offered to any who seek it. 

Not much is known in that time until Mordremoth's awakening.  Though in the era since, a new guild of Muses has taken up the mantle of "voice giver" to the storyteller's chronicles.  And the Composer has not been spoken of since.... at least not in polite company. 

But in my travels I HAVE heard of other tales of the Composer.  And it seems his history is long and storied.  Others have sought him to aid in their works; many of those well known legends among many circles.  Last I heard, he was traveling the NORTHERN lands to write his DIARIES.  But that too seemed to have been wrought with peril, shrouded in mystery, despite several chapters of which have been sung by the ethereal mist ways that connect all in our modern life.  Whats to come next is unclear. 

Or, for those interested, the story told in non-Tyrian terns:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Soundtrack

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

I'm pretty sure Amazon has a way to download songs/soundtracks you buy onto your computer. 

yes but no. its not a mp3. and if you internet doesnt work and the APP/Program can not check if you are legal to play it, it doesnt work. so if you really really like it buy it. else you can use a stream and dont care if it doesnt work anymore.

i have Alexa and Music Unlimited. sometimes it just doesnt work. Alexa has internet problems and the Amazon Music App is now of the opinion that you are no longer allowed to hear the songs.

1 hour ago, Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

yes but no. its not a mp3. and if you internet doesnt work and the APP/Program can not check if you are legal to play it, it doesnt work. so if you really really like it buy it. else you can use a stream and dont care if it doesnt work anymore.

i have Alexa and Music Unlimited. sometimes it just doesnt work. Alexa has internet problems and the Amazon Music App is now of the opinion that you are no longer allowed to hear the songs.

Ah, that makes sense.  I tend only to use Amazon for the free stuff, so I've downloaded songs accidentally, but never really looked into it in any details.  Thanks for the clarification!

6 hours ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

Ah, that makes sense.  I tend only to use Amazon for the free stuff, so I've downloaded songs accidentally, but never really looked into it in any details.  Thanks for the clarification!

i have to say it works 95% of the time. but sometimes i want to hear music on my phone and after one song and not in my WIFI anymore the APP refuse to play songs. /shrug

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 11:19 AM, jemdarr.2158 said:

In that case you have it as a file on your pc.

e: btw your "but if they close" is as good as an argument as "when your house burns down your CD are lost". Music that is already digital will never cease to exist as long as our civilisation exists.

Well, partly true. I have relative control over the content of my property. If my house burns down, that's my fault, not the fault of Apple, Youtube or Spotify. I at least have a chance to get my CD in the event of a fire 😛 I have zero control over the content on streaming services. 

• Like 1