ArenaNet and Extra Life 2017

• ArenaNet Staff

I'm excited to announce that ArenaNet will be supporting Extra Life as a company this year by livestreaming 36 hours of Guild Wars 2 gameplay! For those of you who are not familiar with this event, Extra Life is a 24-hour yearly gaming and fundraising marathon in support of Children's Miracle Network hospitals.

From 12:00 PM PDT on Friday, November 3 to 11:59 PM PDT on Saturday, November 4, tune in to twitch.tv/GuildWars2 to watch ArenaNet developers and members of our partner program play Guild Wars 2. We'll have tons of cool prizes to give away during the stream, including Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 merchandise.

To help us reach our goal, you can make a tax-deductible donation to Extra Life through the Donate button at the top of our team page. Thank you so much for your support and we'll see you on November 3-4 for Extra Life!

This is really cool. Whenever I see things for charities I usually look up their ratings because unfortunately some charities are more money farms than actual charities. Children's Miracle Network has a 4 star rating and it appears that over 88% of their expenses are spent on programs and services they deliver. They also score 100 out of 100 for accountability & transparency. I'll certainly be tuning in and donating.

I've decided to sign up for the event, and hope to at least make it 18-20 hours. The rest of the time I want to keep up with the ANet stream of course. Thank you for helping out the children in need!

It's also good to know the integrity of the company, JustTrogdor. Gives me more incentive to help out. :)

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:This is really cool. Whenever I see things for charities I usually look up their ratings because unfortunately some charities are more money farms than actual charities. Children's Miracle Network has a 4 star rating and it appears that over 88% of their expenses are spent on programs and services they deliver. They also score 100 out of 100 for accountability & transparency. I'll certainly be tuning in and donating.

As someone who works for a charity I highly recommend doing this any time you're going to donate to a cause or organisation you're not already familiar with. The good ones shouldn't object at all and it's helpful to know exactly where your money is going and why. (And I'm not just saying that because I'm one of the people who has to prepare the reports and I want to believe someone out there will read it!)

But do also check the website/company you're using to get the information. Some use factual information - like (mandatory) financial reporting - to make an assessment, others rely mostly or entirely on members of the public giving reviews which is much less helpful. In the UK I'd recommend starting with the Charity Commission, which is the official governing body. I assume there's a US equivalent.

• ArenaNet Staff

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:This is really cool. Whenever I see things for charities I usually look up their ratings because unfortunately some charities are more money farms than actual charities. Children's Miracle Network has a 4 star rating and it appears that over 88% of their expenses are spent on programs and services they deliver. They also score 100 out of 100 for accountability & transparency. I'll certainly be tuning in and donating.

Thanks for mentioning this. The Children's Miracle Network hospital I'm supporting (Riley in Indianapolis) took care of my son briefly when he was a toddler, and cared for my husband's young niece during a long battle with cancer. I can't say enough good things about them. They care for the patient and the family in every way possible during what can be an extremely difficult time and I'm happy that we're able to help support them.

@bird.5920 said:I've decided to sign up for the event, and hope to at least make it 18-20 hours. The rest of the time I want to keep up with the ANet stream of course. Thank you for helping out the children in need!

It's also good to know the integrity of the company, JustTrogdor. Gives me more incentive to help out. :)

Thank you! I've noticed that a few players are joining Team ArenaNet and it reminded me that I should have been clear about that: Any members of our community are more than welcome to be a part of our team. The more, the merrier!

@UnbentMars.9126 said:I wish I'd seen this before I posted mine, you beat me in by an hour lol

Hey, the money is all supporting the same cause--thanks so much for making us part of your team's event. And best of luck!

• ArenaNet Staff

@Kaspar.3892 said:@Rubi Bayer.8493 as an employee for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals, I'm really looking forward to this. :D I announced it to the Extra Life team here and we're all psyched for this!

Thanks so much! CMN has been really helpful in preparing for this, so I appreciate you all!

Archived