(WvW) Why staff over longbow?

aaron.7850

https://gw2mists.com/builds/guardian/power-dragonhunter

According to this site, you should use staff /scepter+torch...

like, why on earth? Why torch? Its a condi weapon, focus or shield seem much better for zerging.

and why staff over longbow? staff is a support weapon, sure it can do damage but surely longbow does more damage and bring better CC

8 hours ago, aaron.7850 said:

Longbow also has a symbol

and still most puzzling of all, why torch?? :S

The symbol is a projectile, which means it can be reflected/destroyed. 

Torch is something im against tho. Torch4 is projectile and thus useless, and torch5 takes an absurdly long time to cast. Especially since as a DH u already have enough melee dmg, I would recommend focus or shield offhand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hogwarts Zebra.8597 said:

The symbol is a projectile, which means it can be reflected/destroyed. 

Torch is something im against tho. Torch4 is projectile and thus useless, and torch5 takes an absurdly long time to cast. Especially since as a DH u already have enough melee dmg, I would recommend focus or shield offhand. 

Torch 5 will fish out dodges though, and Torch 4 being a projectile only matters in Zerg v. Zerg.

1 hour ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Torch 5 will fish out dodges though, and Torch 4 being a projectile only matters in Zerg v. Zerg.

And this is about zerg vs zerg.... If it wasn't there'd be 0 reason to run staff lol. And torch5 will fish out absolutely nothing in zerg fights. Even tho the total dmg looks good the dps is actually weaker than sword autos. 

2 minutes ago, Hogwarts Zebra.8597 said:

And this is about zerg vs zerg.... If it wasn't there'd be 0 reason to run staff lol. And torch5 will fish out absolutely nothing in zerg fights. Even tho the total dmg looks good the dps is actually weaker than sword autos. 

True, but at somepoint a zerg breaks and Torch 4 can be used to down someone that gets separated from the projectile hate. Torch 5 is still condi cleanses for your zerg in the meantime.

Staff has had some nerfs through the years, but back in the day it was the best way to tag tons of players when your zerg went against another zerg. Good loot. Probably still is, but I haven't played WvW in years. 

But primarily, staff is good for empowers and might.

If I was doing a roaming build, I would change it up though.

Edited by Faridah.8431

Zerg fights are all about AOEs on lower cooldowns.

Longbow is not good in zergs because of reflects. Longbow 5 is decent but on a long cooldown. Staff 2 and 3 do a significant amount of damage and are on lower cooldowns.

Torch is pretty w/e; any of the offhands have a use but not a big deal.