Why does this always happen to me!? 6 years!! Everyday at this hour, I get 1k ping!

Everyday at this hour(8 PM), I get 300 ping then shoot up to 1k every time I'm near a zerg! I've tried: allow gw2 through firewall, use ethernet, even forward port but it cause more problem, it sucks big time that I can only play at night but the lag prevent me from playing until 11 pm

If it is at a specific time every single day, one of my first guesses would be that something bogs down your connection regularly starting at 8pm. It *could* be related to game population at that time, but from what you say it is maybe a little too specific and constrained for that to be my top suspect.

Are you on a shared connection? Is anything else affected at those times (like if you tried streaming, or checked your general up/down as compared to other times)?

22 minutes ago, Tanek.5983 said:

If it is at a specific time every single day, one of my first guesses would be that something bogs down your connection regularly starting at 8pm. It *could* be related to game population at that time, but from what you say it is maybe a little too specific and constrained for that to be my top suspect.

Are you on a shared connection? Is anything else affected at those times (like if you tried streaming, or checked your general up/down as compared to other times)?

nope, it just happen, pissed me off that i cant figure out what is causing it

7 hours ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

nope, it just happen, pissed me off that i cant figure out what is causing it

Try 2 things:

1. Get any decent VPN (for free) and log into few different countries like UK, Germany, US, France etc. Do it before 8pm hits and see if you get the same massive increase in ping. Changing the country will most likely increase your base ping but that's normal, we want to see if it will spike at/after 8pm.

2. If you're on desktop and have WiFi card, connect to your phone's hotspot. Same as above, see if the ping will spike at/after 8pm. If your PC doesn't have WiFi card, buy/borrow one of those USB WiFi adapters.

If you don't get ping spike with either of these methods then the issue is with your ISP and the way your connection is being routed to GW2 servers during those times.

A fix would be to contact ISP (obviously...) and see if anything can be done, change ISP, use VPN to route yourself to a different IP/location.

Edited by Nighthelm.6427
Grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nighthelm.6427 said:

Try 2 things:

1. Get any decent VPN (for free) and log into few different countries like UK, Germany, US, France etc. Do it before 8pm hits and see if you get the same massive increase in ping. Changing the country will most likely increase your base ping but that's normal, we want to see if it will spike at/after 8pm.

2. If you're on desktop and have WiFi card, connect to your phone's hotspot. Same as above, see if the ping will spike at/after 8pm. If your PC doesn't not have WiFi card, buy/borrow one of those USB WiFi adapters.

If you don't get ping spike with either of these methods then the issue is with your ISP and the way your connection is being routed to GW2 servers during those times.

A fix would be to contact ISP (obviously...) and see if anything can be done, change ISP, use VPN to route yourself to a different IP/location.

A VPN usually does not fix ping issues because, when your connection sucks, your VPN traffic still has to tunnel over your bad connection to reach the VPN server and the open internet.

Also, ANet sometimes banned users that connected through VPNs because it was flagged as suspicious. You should get unbanned fine when this happens to you (as there is no rule that prohibits the use of VPNs) but you have to go through the stress of dealing with it.

1 hour ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

A VPN usually does not fix ping issues because, when your connection sucks, your VPN traffic still has to tunnel over your bad connection to reach the VPN server and the open internet.

...the issue is with your ISP and the way your connection is being routed to GW2 servers...

You can have high ping or as you say "bad connection" for multiple reasons, this being one of them. I also wouldn't suggest this if I didn't know it would alleviate the issue.

It helped me and 3 other friends from different countries when each of us had ping issues in GW2 and/or other multiplayer games. Though our ping problems went away over time.

The banning part I can't comment on as I don't have enough experience or information from the past about it. It's a risk, but it won't hurt to at least try once or twice in order to further troubleshoot the issue. Permanent usage of VPN is something they'd have to talk to Anet about to get accurate information.

Edited by Nighthelm.6427
clarification

I once had a setup where the sun would hit my router at 5pm for 1h, causing it to overheat, giving regular problems like this. If it is so periodic it is most likely your networking. I recommend troubleshooting with ping plotter or similar products, if you want to get more details on where the latency is coming from (which part of the connection). It is most likely your ISP or those you share internet with tbh.

• Thanks 1