Anvils Unnecessary

9 hours ago, firedragon.8953 said:

Or in WvW, there are anvils, but there is not even anymore armor damage upon death there. So completely pointless there. 😛

Armor damage exist there but going to the spawn area(where the anvils are typically located) will automatically repair.

WvW is the one place where armor damage might matter a bit in the very specific circumstance of two large nearly equal groups fighting. Some people die, get ress. If it goes on long enough eventually one side will start having broken armor assuming the Noblesse Noblige mastery doesn't work in WvW(the autoloot mastery from the same line doesn't work in WvW).

3 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

Oh, I didn't know you could buy those. TIL.

That would add up fast though. Especially for a new player. But then, admittedly, I suppose you wouldn't be attempting this challenge in the first place if you were new. lol

You also tend to change gear more often at lower level due to leveling up.

57 minutes ago, AquaBR.9250 said:

Yeah i guess, i came from dark souls 2 where you have a health penalty everytime you die, that made me pay attention to my surroundings, be extra careful and not just throw myself at stuff like crazy untill i kill it, like everyone do in guild wars 2

The major flaw in that argument is that dark souls(at least that is what is implied by the discussions I've seen) has more careful considerations in its enemy design whereas GW2 is frequently quite sloppy such as having so many AoEs that you can't even tell if you are standing in one or not.

29 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Armor damage exist there but going to the spawn area(where the anvils are typically located) will automatically repair.

WvW is the one place where armor damage might matter a bit in the very specific circumstance of two large nearly equal groups fighting. Some people die, get ress. If it goes on long enough eventually one side will start having broken armor assuming the Noblesse Noblige mastery doesn't work in WvW(the autoloot mastery from the same line doesn't work in WvW).

You also tend to change gear more often at lower level due to leveling up.

The major flaw in that argument is that dark souls(at least that is what is implied by the discussions I've seen) has more careful considerations in its enemy design whereas GW2 is frequently quite sloppy such as having so many AoEs that you can't even tell if you are standing in one or not.

Thats not an argument thats an opinion

I like that I have to repair my damaged armor. From a lore standpoint it makes sense. I do also think the death mechanic in this game is not punishing enough but I'm probably in the minority on that one. I wish there was some kind of animation with the repair anvils. I want to see my characters break a sweat. I feel like they take it for granted and die too often. They would die less if they had to work harder to fix their armor. Lazy kittens!

Edited by Super Hayes.6890
fixed spelling error
  • Haha 1

I don't even think about anvils.  I just use one whenever there is one nearby, whether I need to or not.  It's quasi muscle memory at this point...almost Pavlovian.

The one time I remember concerning anvils was in the first week of launch.  I couldn't afford to use it.  I tried to farm nearby mobs to make enough money to use it but I died shortly thereafter (because what is a dodge key? I intercept enemy attacks with my face like a true mmo player!).  I don't really remember how long it was before I had enough silver to use it.  This was the time where having a gold was super rich.

I have not been affected by anvils since.  Nor waypoints.  Waypoint costs used to be a huge concern.  

Please keep in mind, green gear was super awesome this early into the game's life.

I just wish they would eliminate the need for clicking.  If you get near an anvil it should just repair your armor.  There's nothing else you would do with it.  Also entering a major/friendly city should automatically repair your damaged gear.