Thank You for Gen 3 Legendaries

5 minutes ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

Why do you need to be insulting?  I'm not dumbing anything down, and in fact quite the opposite:  I already explicitly said that all of that was meant to explain where players' expectations about what legendary weapons are, from how they are used in actual legends and literature.   The word "legendary" has a meaning (in fact it has several) and Anet applying it to their game implies that the things they're using it about should have the properties described by that word.  That is literally what words are for.  😆  Go read other threads on reddit or youtube, they all say pretty much all the same things I've said.

But go and reread my very first post;  the very first paragraph was where I said I don't like these and don't want one.  I was absolutely clear about that from literally the very beginning.

I'm not being insulting, I'm taking what's being shown to me at face value. Again, I've said I respected the opinion that you may not like the design, but as you're doing now, you're twisting the term "Legendary" to fit your own personal preference, when it can mean many things relative to the trope.  Words can have different meanings, that's what makes them creative. 

And I've read many threads about the Legendary weapon design, and just as you are doing, they're twisting their own personal opinion in order to force it as a fact, that's never going to happen no matter what you do. And besides, I've seen more people in a single YouTube video alone (the actual livestream) where people genuinely enjoy and accept that Aurene's Weapons are Legendary. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

I'm not being insulting, I'm taking what's being shown to me at face value. Again, I've said I respected the opinion that you may not like the design, but as you're doing now, you're twisting the term "Legendary" to fit your own personal preference

That's absolutely preposterous.  I'm not twisting anything--I'm using the word in the same context and meaning that it has been used for literally hundreds of years, with regard to weapons in actual legends, before video games even existed.  That's entirely the reason it creates expectations among many players--they're already familiar with how its used in pretty much every other context.  If anyone is twisting the meaning, it's Anet.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

I'm not being insulting, I'm taking what's being shown to me at face value. Again, I've said I respected the opinion that you may not like the design, but as you're doing now, you're twisting the term "Legendary" to fit your own personal preference

Legendary weapons are a set of high-end weapons that have unique appearances.

That's the first sentence in the GW2 wiki on Legendary Weapons. So it certainly seems reasonable that the community would agree with that idea of what legendary weapons are.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

That's the first sentence in the GW2 wiki on Legendary Weapons. So it certainly seems reasonable that the community would agree with that idea of what legendary weapons are.

Yea but surely a set that looks exactly the same as every other weapon is unique looking, right?

The only i reason i wont kitten about these later is if they are vastly cheaper than current generation legendaries, account bound, and they dont do further sets like this in the future.

Legendaries should be unique weapons, with their own unique lore. The gen 2 collection achievements where the best thing in the world they added because of that and anet shot it in the face cause it took to long to make them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

First sentence, written by a player.  It's not an official ArenaNet statement.

Expect it to change. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
typo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

First sentence, written by a player.  It's not an official ArenaNet statement.

Yes, written by a player, but since it didn;t get contended so far, it shows what's generally how the community saw them

3 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Expect it to change. 

It changing is the very issue we're arguing about, isn't it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

Anet creating the lore section of the Armory to detail the history of each legendary piece does lend me to believe that they view the weapons as "iconic". We know they changed this stance being motivated to get 16 weapons out on release, and we can assume they are also motivated to make a set that is cheaper for players to craft. Functionally, this has its benefits. Aesthetically, it is a huge loss for a third gen of weapons. 

I recognize that Anet wants to improve accessibility of stat-swapping for players, but they could have done so with other options that don't involve sacrificing a generation of legendaries to do so. I think about the Caladbolg weapon. Expanding on that concept to give players a stat-swappable weapon of their choice (ascended or even legendary at the end sure) would have been less controversial than the path they are on.

I'll hope that a unique, interesting Gen 4 could come with LS6. That isn't off the table.

10 hours ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

You took something a wiki, written by the player base, as something that's directly stated by ANet

Last I checked, ANet themselves never stated that there was any specific approach to Legendary weapons. When you find me a direct statement from ANet themselves that all their designs for Legendary weapons must strictly follow this statement, I'll eat humble pie, but until then, as I said before: 

12 hours ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

End of the day, who defines a Legendary weapon isn't going to be the playerbase, it's the developers of the game.  

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

You took something a wiki, written by the player base, as something that's directly stated by ANet

Last I checked, ANet themselves never stated that there was any specific approach to Legendary weapons. When you find me a direct statement from ANet themselves that all their designs for Legendary weapons must strictly follow this statement, I'll eat humble pie, but until then, as I said before: 

"End of the day, who defines a Legendary weapon isn't going to be the playerbase, it's the developers of the game."

You might have missed that it's exactly developers changing their approach to legendaries that is being argued here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You might have missed that it's exactly developers changing their approach to legendaries that is being argued here.

I never missed that. In fact, I've stated for like the 10th time, if people don't like the current approach then I can respect said opinion, but again, it's ultimately up to the developers to do what they want with Legendaries, that fact is never going to change, and the loud minority are literally trying to force them to stick to their previous approach... 

Edited by ChronoPinoyX.7923
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, that sentence was used to argue that that was ArenaNet's stance on Legendary Weapons.  It was written by one person, even before launch; it's not an aggregation of prospective players' opinions. 

It has also been argued that Legendary Weapons and their lore is based only on legendary figures or events.  Not so, according to ArenaNet (as shown in the new 'Legendary Lore').

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

I never missed that. In fact, I've stated for like the 10th time, if people don't like the current approach then I can respect said opinion, but again, it's ultimately up to the developers to do what they want with Legendaries, that fact is never going to change, and the loud minority are literally trying to force them to stick to their previous approach... 

Yes, it is up to developers to decide. It is also up to players to voice their dissatisfaction with developer decisions they do not agree with. Telling that players to stop complaining because "it's not going to change" is just promoting apathy and lack of feedback. And that never ends well.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes, it is up to developers to decide. It is also up to players to voice their dissatisfaction with developer decisions they do not agree with. Telling that players to stop complaining because "it's not going to change" is just promoting apathy and lack of feedback. And that never ends well.

Yes, it's fine to provide feedback, heck I never actually told them to stop providing that feedback. My point is that all statements being made here are literally forcing opinions as if they were facts, or putting word into developer's mouths when they never said anything remotely close. That is what my statements were about. I already said to them, I agreed that Aurene Legendaries are a bit silly to be called Legendary weapons because of how recent they are, I actually agree on that notion. But I'm not going around digging up wiki pages made by the player base, or using real historic weaponry as a means to claim that an item can only be factually Legendary if they were a single, unique design per weapon type, because that's completely untrue, even by basic Legendary weapon trope standards.

I'll leave it here. I've pretty much said my piece in this entire thread, anything I say further is just gonna get looped around, based on what I've seen so far. 

Edited by ChronoPinoyX.7923
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2021 at 6:04 PM, lokh.2695 said:

Sets that yet have to be confirmed to exist. I'm with OP on this one except one thing, we don't know yet what the process of aquiring gen3 legys will be, if it is a lot cheaper than gen1 and gen2 it is an alternative for some people. Again not so much for me as I don't think they're all that pretty.

It might be the same as PvE legendary armor for many people, I crafted it for convenience (change of stats), but many of my characters had a certain aesthetic I didn't want to change, so I simply wardrobed whatever skin I like over them and moved on.

For weapons, it's not the case yet, if I need certain weapon type, but I won't settle on any of the leg skins... well, I'm gonna make it something I like and use it just for the stat swap. If those are cheaper then gen 1 and 2, why not grab couple of them and make them look pretty ourselves 😁

I honestly think this is just an homage to aurene, thats why they are all in at the start. I believe as the xpack goes on there will be weapons from cantha lore, maybe a dragonjade legendary some others that represent cantha. But i think this was done to strictly honor aurene. 

• Like 1