Single player raids / dungeons / fractals / strike missions

Xenn.1602

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

It depends on the ROI to deliver the various types of content. Again, it's not JUST about what pleases people. It's about what makes Anet money as well. The business cases have to be examined for the proposed scenarios. 

So, how does appealing to the single player appeal to people who'd come to an MMO and somehow make ANet more money?

Edited by Sir Alymer.3406
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

So, how does appealing to the single player appeal to people who'd come to an MMO?

I can only speculate that there is a number of people that play MMO's aren't there for the group content. I mean, are you trying to say no one playing MMO's wants solo content? Or that the people that play MMO's only play them because they only want group instanced content? Seems to me that depends on what market the MMO targets. 

Also seems to me that if you look at the content in GW2 ... group content isn't it's strong suit. Anet is still trying to find the 'right formula' for giving players that content. Obviously they struggle to find the group instance content that is satisfactory for a significant portion of the players to make it worthwhile for them to develop it. On the other hand, looks like Anet can READILY create content focused on individual players in this game and the fact they continue to do so is a demonstration it's the path to profitability for them. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I can only speculate that there is a number of people that play MMO's aren't there for the group content. I mean, are you trying to say no one playing MMO's wants solo content? Or that the people that play MMO's only play them because they only want group instanced content? Seems to me that depends on what market the MMO targets. 

Also seems to me that if you look at the content in GW2 ... group content isn't it's strong suit. Anet is still trying to find the 'right formula' for giving players that content. Obviously they struggle to find the group instance content that is satisfactory for a significant portion of the players to make it worthwhile for them to develop it. On the other hand, looks like Anet can READILY create content focused on individual players in this game and the fact they continue to do so is a demonstration it's the path to profitability for them. 

Nope, I'm saying that solo content is really niche, more niche than even raids.  ANet seems to agree because Queen's Gauntlet (The series of bosses you can fight), Super Adventure Box, and such are relegated to events rather than official  content releases.  While the story is there, the focus is on the maps that come with the chapter releases.  Just look at the latter half of Icebrood Saga; a lot of content was  focusing on grouping up with people on the maps from Drizzlewood's Faux WvW set up to Champions and their DRMs.  At best, ANet adds a bit more solo friendly content with a few new additions, at worst solo content continues in the form of story and small map events, adventures, and seasonal events. But also, I've really seen no good argumentation that shows that a solo playstyle in MMOs is popular enough to justify content development for. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

Nope, I'm saying that solo content is really niche, more niche than even raids.  

OK, you can say that. I'm not going to debate something with you that there is little evidence for. I'm not sure how you are defining solo content here ... but niche isn't the word I would use to describe the content you can solo in this game. I'm simply going to stick with what we can see from the game history. I'm sure Anet's data will tell them the content people want that is worth it for them to create. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

OK, you can say that. I'm not going to debate something with you that there is little evidence for. I'm not sure how you are defining solo content here ... but niche isn't the word I would use to describe the content you can solo in this game. I'm simply going to stick with what we can see from the game history. I'm sure Anet's data will tell them the content people want that is worth it for them to create. 

I gave you my definitions of solo content earlier.  I'm not reposting it here.

On the history of what ANet does, what has been released ingame so far;

Living world; Solo story (That can be done with a group).  It tends to encompass both play with friends and solo players with achievements being easier to do in a group (but not impossible solo) and
New Maps; where grouping was required for the overall meta events to progress (This goes as far back as Drytop for a persistent map and as far back as some season 1 events like tower of nightmares in Kessex)
Instanced Content; As far back as wing 7's release for Raid wings to the more recent Strike bosses to last year's Fractals and even more recently DRMs.  To add to this, the Marionette with its public and private instance. 

What am I getting at here?

The way ANet releases content favors grouping up either with the drop-in/out  open world interactions, or organizing groups to overcome content.  In fact that's one of the major themes of Guild Wars 2's core story; uniting together to overcome an insurmountable enemy.  A majority of the rewards are tied to group content over soloing things; events scale up the more players there are which means more loot for everyone, group content gives big rewards for time invested.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

The way ANet releases content favors grouping up either with the drop-in/out  open world interactions, or organizing groups to overcome content.  In fact that's one of the major themes of Guild Wars 2's core story; uniting together to overcome an insurmountable enemy.  A majority of the rewards are tied to group content over soloing things; events scale up the more players there are which means more loot for everyone, group content gives big rewards for time invested.

I think that's questionable ... grouping isn't a necessary requirement for success in OW content, even for content intended to be done as a group. I'm not going to debate your perspective here though. I don't think anything you've said is necessarily wrong , but I don't think it's in contradiction to what I'm saying either. 

I mean, if you think Anet shouldn't release solo content because of whatever reason ... you should probably just say it. I think it's a pretty good idea if the business case for it is good. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Sure for some content that's true. I'm not going to debate your perspective here. I don't think anything you've said is necessarily wrong or worth debating if it is, but I don't think it's in contradiction to what I'm saying either. 

I mean, if you think Anet shouldn't release solo content because of whatever reason ... you should probably just say it. 

What content do we have for single player ( meaning content that is locked to 1 person noone else can join) , adventures and what else?

I dont think that content is something alot of people want more of and that is what the OP fo this post want more off.

Do you see now why people area against this idea and are not argueing against you with living story or open world since that is not single player content?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

What content do we have for single player ( meaning content that is locked to 1 person noone else can join) , adventures and what else?

I dont think that content is something alot of people want more of and that is what the OP fo this post want more off.

Do you see now why people area against this idea and are not argueing against you with living story or open world since that is not single player content?

Well, I won't argue what you think or why ... it's not relevant. Not thinking solo content is something people want just seems like a contrived reason to believe this is a bad idea. 

I see why people are against it ... In fact, I can think of lots of reasons why people are against it because I used to be against such ideas myself ... until I realized that there are compromises to be had for MMO content so they are generally appealing to the segment of the market it targets, which is how games have longevity and a broad playerbase. But then again, why people are against it isn't really relevant to why content gets added to the game in the first place. This isn't debate club. 

Content gets added if there is a good business case for it to happen. It's not about who's loudest on the forum or who has the best reasoning. Ultimately, that answer is simply about Anet using their resources in the best ways to deliver content to people to generate revenue. That's it. I have my own speculations why this is a good idea, and it's related to the segment of the market this game appeals to. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I think that's questionable ... grouping isn't a necessary requirement for success in OW content, even for content intended to be done as a group. I'm not going to debate your perspective here though. I don't think anything you've said is necessarily wrong , but I don't think it's in contradiction to what I'm saying either. 

I mean, if you think Anet shouldn't release solo content because of whatever reason ... you should probably just say it. I think it's a pretty good idea if the business case for it is good. 

I don't think they should release solo content because it wouldn't be healthy for the game as a whole to have yet another niche game mode.  As for OW content, you're grouped together with players in the same way as public strike missions.  Basically the other players can drop in and out at their leisure when they see you're participating in an event.  Also good luck tagging things at events without being in a squad or party.

• Confused 1