Single player raids / dungeons / fractals / strike missions

Xenn.1602

On 8/4/2021 at 9:18 AM, Krzysztof.5973 said:

I like having the Multiplayer aspect in my MMOs but that's just me. 

Sure ... and no one suggested it be removed either. 

See this kind of statement points to the objection people have to the OP's idea. They believe if Anet considers some single player content somewhere, it will take away from multi player content somewhere else. You have no reason to believe that. In fact, we already have evidence that Anet doesn't NEED players pushing for single player content like this to take away from multi player content. The data and the business machine already appears to be at work doing that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

See this kind of statement points to the objection people have to the OP's idea. They believe if Anet considers some single player content somewhere, it will take away from multi player content somewhere else. You have no reason to believe that. In fact, we already have evidence that Anet doesn't NEED players pushing for single player content like this to take away from multi player content. The data and the business machine already appears to be at work doing that. 

And you believe this isn't the case? That Anet has unlimited resources, time and crew to spread over an already horizontally monstrous game?

There's a word for this, and it's called naivete. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I swear you're the last person to say how to correctly interpret data and draw conclusions. 

Majority of this MMO called Guild Wars 2 can be played alone. Story? Solo or 5man. Maps? Enemy and event scaling allows you to solo 95% of the content in the open world. Fractals? Besides CMs which are reserved for T4, can be soloed on T1. Dungeons? Believe it or not but there also is a story version. Even if you want every single detail from each path, with correct build and skill - can also be soloed. Raids? Most of the lore can be experienced without fighting the bosses. But OP doesn't have much interest in lore. He wants challenge, play alone, play in his own time frame. Everything he described in his post fits perfectly to a single player game. 

Now why am I opposed to this idea of changing everything to solo mode? Because something simple like creating groundwork for multiple difficulty modes for raids and then tweaking the numbers was not done by ANet. Something that would find broader appeal than turning this game into single player mode. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I have to disagree with most of this..

The only content mentioned here that should be a bit more tuned for solo play is Dungeons.
And when I say dungeons I specifically mean the story mode instances exclusively!

Dungeon Story paths should be solo friendly on the grounds that they are directly part of the main game storyline and the personal story experience.
Forcing them to be team based is just really bad.. can result in people either missing them or being unable to experience them the way they want to due to other players.
This is a problem i've been wanting to see fixed for many many years now and I hope one day Anet finally does go back and remedy this like they did with the Arah dungeon's story.

The explorable dungeon paths, fractals, raids and strikes are all multiplayer group content and this should absolutely remain the same.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Like 3

I did story dungeons recently, there was no problem finding people. The only thing I would suggest is making the cut scenes in story mode unskippable, to stop speed runners coming in.  That messed up ascalonian catacombs for me a bit but afterwards i put "with cut scenes" in the LFG and it was alright.

10 hours ago, Krzysztof.5973 said:

Now why am I opposed to this idea of changing everything to solo mode? Because something simple like creating groundwork for multiple difficulty modes for raids and then tweaking the numbers was not done by ANet. Something that would find broader appeal than turning this game into single player mode. 

Your reason is exactly as I suspected though ... so how am I incorrectly interpret data and drawing conclusions? You think Anet considering something like what the OP suggests is taking away from multi player content. That's EXACTLY what I said. 

It appears it is not I that has the interpretation problem here. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 8/5/2021 at 1:57 AM, Linken.6345 said:

Well they would have to cut back on story, open world and the other stuff were you can play solo ofcourse.

So that's not happening.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:16 PM, Obtena.7952 said:

Depends on it's potential to make them money; theoretically, if 100% of the people wanted it, it fit the game and they had some indication of high ROI on it, you don't think they could create a group to do it? I do. 

Sure, if it promises mountains of cash nothing is off the table. Then again, if Anet were to chase nothing but maximum ROI, they would have never made the current gw2. Probably would have been a mobile game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Katary.7096 said:

So that's not happening.

Sure, if it promises mountains of cash nothing is off the table. Then again, if Anet were to chase nothing but maximum ROI, they would have never made the current gw2. Probably would have been a mobile game.

OK, but we aren't talking about chasing mountains of ROI just to make money, we are just acknowledging that there is SOME ROI that needs to be made for elements of the game we are talking about here. Not having the resources to do that isn't a barrier because that's just people and they can make a business case to get them. See this is the best part ... Anet did that for raids and that didn't go so well. So if they can do that for raids ... they can do that for something that is potentially more successful than raids. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 3

On 8/2/2021 at 6:41 PM, Xenn.1602 said:

I just want to do it on my own, figure out how to do it on my own, in my own pase in my own time and with my build that I like, not the one that is meta, so what if my build happens to be 15% less dps, I just want to have FUN.

Firstly, let's be honest, outside of super, incredibly, hardcore speedrunning groups, virtually no one is getting called out for playing a build that does 15% less DPS. Generally even people doing up to 50% less DPS are quietly carried. 

To actually get people upset and calling you out in Raids and Fractals etc., you have to do about 60-90% less DPS, actively wasting everybody else's time and effort. 

As for challenging solo content, I actually do think GW2 has room for that. It's just missing challenging content, period. 

I do not think existing group content is the place for that though (although T1-3 Fractals make for pretty fun solo content once one knows which can be mechanically solo'ed). 

I still think content like Story Missions could use optional hardmodes. 

It's already solo content, upscaling it with more adds and numbers shouldn't be that difficult, and current story suffers pretty severely from ludonarrative dissonance for proficient players (oh no, a big bad the game has been working towards facing for months.. nvm, they are dead, accidentally bursted them before they could do anything - gets old really quick), so it would even make the story more engaging for those types of players by feeling more invested in the threats, in addition to offering a breadth of repeatable content. 

Add some okay-ish daily bonus chests to those hardmode missions and it's imo good to go.

Additionally, I really hope they step up their game again with Hero Challenges in EoD to HoT levels, and don't cave to nerf them this time around either. There are currently 404 Hero Points left after unlocking both current elite specs, so players can already instantly fully unlock EoD Specs without doing a single one of them, and after just doing 10 EoD Hero Challenges players would already be set to instantly fully unlock the Elite Specs of the next expansion, should there be one. 

There is more than enough room to provide fun and actually challenging.. Challenges, even if not everybody could complete them solo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/6/2021 at 3:03 AM, Teratus.2859 said:

The only content mentioned here that should be a bit more tuned for solo play is Dungeons.
And when I say dungeons I specifically mean the story mode instances exclusively!

@Xenn.1602, this response is for you too. The thing is, every single story mode dungeon is already quite easy to solo on every class. The only remotely difficult solo story fight is the final boss of Honor of the Waves, given his pretty significant burst that requires you to either dodge the entire chain, or have other countermeasures ready. Honorable mention goes to Kudu in Crucible of Eternity story mode, with his unblockable one-shot. That mechanic cuts down on the number of builds that can solo that one at a reasonable pace, but every single class nonetheless does have a build that works there too. 

The majority of explorables are also soloable, albeit much less efficiently. There are notable exceptions like CoF p1 that requires at least 4 bodies to spawn the final boss (you can open the gate by yourself, but it appears you need to at least trigger the 4 braziers event to make the boss itself spawn).

Most fractals also seem soloable, even ones like Deepstone that seem to require at least 2 people to stand in certain places to activate doors.

So really, if you are looking for (1) challenging instanced content that (2) can be successfully completed alone with (3) a significant opportunity for buildcraft, the good news is that plenty of it exists in the game already. So much so, in fact, that I'd hate to see ANet actually put effort into making more solo-specific content in mind. Opportunity cost is a thing, and I'd rather see them address other things. What you're looking for, Xenn, is out there in pretty significant volume already.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

OK, but we aren't talking about chasing mountains of ROI just to make money, we are just acknowledging that there is SOME ROI that needs to be made for elements of the game we are talking about here. Not having the resources to do that isn't a barrier because that's just people and they can make a business case to get them. See this is the best part ... Anet did that for raids and that didn't go so well. So if they can do that for raids ... they can do that for something that is potentially more successful than raids. 

More successful than raids is a poor metric since raids are below the level at which development is deemed worthwhile. If Arenanet has resources to spare, why would they make something that isn't story or open world content?

5 hours ago, Katary.7096 said:

If Arenanet has resources to spare, why would they make something that isn't story or open world content?

It's not about "instanced or open world", there is no inherent reason why instanced content couldn't be more popular. The story content is mostly instanced and people engage with it just fine. The "issue" (in terms of player engagement) the instanced content (outside of the story) is suffering from is A-Net going in with the mindset that instanced content has to be generally more difficult which is what really keeps people from engaging with it. If they were to introduce fractal like instanced content with the difficulty level of your average OW event and proper scaling (especially in regards to what they said they wanted to do in EoD) then the level of player engagement should be just fine as long as the content itself is decently rewarding and doesn't drag on for too long.

9 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

@Xenn.1602, this response is for you too. The thing is, every single story mode dungeon is already quite easy to solo on every class. The only remotely difficult solo story fight is the final boss of Honor of the Waves, given his pretty significant burst that requires you to either dodge the entire chain, or have other countermeasures ready. Honorable mention goes to Kudu in Crucible of Eternity story mode, with his unblockable one-shot. That mechanic cuts down on the number of builds that can solo that one at a reasonable pace, but every single class nonetheless does have a build that works there too. 

The majority of explorables are also soloable, albeit much less efficiently. There are notable exceptions like CoF p1 that requires at least 4 bodies to spawn the final boss (you can open the gate by yourself, but it appears you need to at least trigger the 4 braziers event to make the boss itself spawn).

Most fractals also seem soloable, even ones like Deepstone that seem to require at least 2 people to stand in certain places to activate doors.

So really, if you are looking for (1) challenging instanced content that (2) can be successfully completed alone with (3) a significant opportunity for buildcraft, the good news is that plenty of it exists in the game already. So much so, in fact, that I'd hate to see ANet actually put effort into making more solo-specific content in mind. Opportunity cost is a thing, and I'd rather see them address other things. What you're looking for, Xenn, is out there in pretty significant volume already.

I do typically run story modes solo when I play new characters through the story but depending on the build and the boss it can be difficult for some classes.
HoTW's is by far the hardest one imo.

Still I think they should be rebalanced for a solo player to make them more accessible to the broader playerbase.
Not everyone is going to put in the same kind of effort to beat them solo and not everyone enjoys the challenge of soloing group focused content either.
Personally I do but having been doing it for so many years (started in LWS1) I can certainly say it's more of a niche thing that only a minority of players really enjoy doing.

If the dungeon stories were isolated it wouldn't really be an issue but they are integral to the personal story so for that reason I would ask for them all to get the Arah treatment.

1 hour ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I do typically run story modes solo when I play new characters through the story but depending on the build and the boss it can be difficult for some classes.
HoTW's is by far the hardest one imo.

Still I think they should be rebalanced for a solo player to make them more accessible to the broader playerbase.
Not everyone is going to put in the same kind of effort to beat them solo and not everyone enjoys the challenge of soloing group focused content either.
Personally I do but having been doing it for so many years (started in LWS1) I can certainly say it's more of a niche thing that only a minority of players really enjoy doing.

If the dungeon stories were isolated it wouldn't really be an issue but they are integral to the personal story so for that reason I would ask for them all to get the Arah treatment.

I once thought of the same thing, the question is what's gonna stop it from becoming an infinite bot content?

The concept that you can instantly respawn multiple easily solo-able boss repeatedly for champ bags plus dungeon tokens sounds just like an exploit waiting to happen.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

It's not about "instanced or open world",

Of course not. I named both story and open world content. Story missions generally are instanced content, which is a statement you yourself make in the next sentence. I'm not sure how you managed to read a "instanced vs. open world content" message into my post.

there is no inherent reason why instanced content couldn't be more popular.

I know that I don't have sufficient information to make a claim like that. Which leads me to doubt the fact that you do. And considering that instanced content contains story content, any suggestion that there is a lack of popularity for it would seem far-fetched anyway.

The story content is mostly instanced and people engage with it just fine.

That is my perception of the situation.

5 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

The "issue" (in terms of player engagement) the instanced content (outside of the story) is suffering from is A-Net going in with the mindset that instanced content has to be generally more difficult which is what really keeps people from engaging with it.

Difficulty isn't popular. What the OP is asking for is "rewarding solo pve content" with "hard challanging bosses". A recipe for failure in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

If they were to introduce fractal like instanced content with the difficulty level of your average OW event and proper scaling (especially in regards to what they said they wanted to do in EoD) then the level of player engagement should be just fine as long as the content itself is decently rewarding and doesn't drag on for too long.

You have just given a description for dragon response missions. Which are the next step forward in gw2 story mission design as far as I'm concerned. But I haven't been left with the impression that that is the popular opinion.

And as long as you buff the rewards hard enough you can make pretty much any content somewhat popular. Though I'm not sure that what the OP is asking for are just better rewards for solo players. I guess it can be read that way.

Anyway, it would have been pretty neat if you had attempted to answer the question you quoted.

3 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

I once thought of the same thing, the question is what's gonna stop it from becoming an infinite bot content?

The concept that you can instantly respawn multiple easily solo-able boss repeatedly for champ bags plus dungeon tokens sounds just like an exploit waiting to happen.

Pretty sure you don't get tokens from the story path.. or very few of them and they can't be farmed constantly as they're daily time locked anyway.
Champ bags could also be removed in the story modes as well.

The entire point of playing the story path's would be for the story content or to unlock the explorable paths, they're already significantly less rewarding than the explorable paths are anyway so it wouldn't be that big a deal.

On 8/6/2021 at 4:22 AM, Krzysztof.5973 said:

I swear you're the last person to say how to correctly interpret data and draw conclusions.

i wouldn't trust you more on data when none is released from dev side

Majority of this MMO called Guild Wars 2 can be played alone. Story? Solo or 5man. Maps? Enemy and event scaling allows you to solo 95% of the content in the open world. Fractals? Besides CMs which are reserved for T4, can be soloed on T1. Dungeons? Believe it or not but there also is a story version. Even if you want every single detail from each path, with correct build and skill - can also be soloed. Raids? Most of the lore can be experienced without fighting the bosses.

Story can be soloed but isn't challenging at all.
for the rest it's pretty much:
i doubt that many players are able to solo fractals even t1 and i'm not even talking of CM in which case it's reduced to maybe a hundred or 2.
raid being soloed, it's highly dependant on the picked boss and still it's a very limited population

dungeon yeah can be soloed but it was funny to do so like 8 years ago
so in the end not so much intermediate solo content, dungeon and well they are old af so a bit of fresh content wouldn't hurt

But OP doesn't have much interest in lore. He wants challenge, play alone, play in his own time frame. Everything he described in his post fits perfectly to a single player game. 

The OP may play differently than you are, but it still doesn't mean that he shouldn't play the game 🙃

Well OP didn't say to change all to solo so i guess you missunderstood it. And funny enough you expose the perfect solution to have both being done the the very next sentence. yeah if different difficulty can be done for raid, an encounter can also be modified to fit solo standards 😉 attack success to the solo encounter and it could be a nice way to have players self train before going to the multiplayer encounter while avoid queuing for hours in lfg because everyone leave after 1-2 fail instead of actually learning the encounter 🙃

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Fangoth.4503 said:

And funny enough you expose the perfect solution to have both being done the the very next sentence. yeah if different difficulty can be done for raid, an encounter can also be modified to fit solo standards 😉 attack success to the solo encounter and it could be a nice way to have players self train before going to the multiplayer encounter while avoid queuing for hours in lfg because everyone leave after 1-2 fail instead of actually learning the encounter 🙃

Funnily enough It's never going to happen. Before adding solo mode there have to be difficulty levels in place. 

• Confused 1

On 8/8/2021 at 4:58 PM, Katary.7096 said:

More successful than raids is a poor metric since raids are below the level at which development is deemed worthwhile. If Arenanet has resources to spare, why would they make something that isn't story or open world content?

Depends on how much more doesn't it 😉 .

I don't know the answer to your question though ... Probably has something to do with the fact that determining what content to add to the game is more complicated than just having resources to do it. 

Again my point here ... if the condition is right for the business case, resources aren't a barrier to implementing the idea. They just hire people, just like any other company would do .... or implement one of the other many solutions to 'no resources' to do it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Katary.7096 said:

I'm not sure how you managed to read a "instanced vs. open world content" message into my post.

Because that's what was implied here: "why would they make something that isn't ... open world content?" assumes that there is something special about OW content that would make making it instead of instanced content (which would be the only PvE related alternative left if we exclude the aforementioned) preferable (otherwise there would have been no point in even bringing the question up) which is not the case.

I know that I don't have sufficient information to make a claim like that. Which leads me to doubt the fact that you do.

The "information" here is obvious: the simple fact that people do engage with the main story of the game which shows that content being instanced is not a deterrent for player engagement. My "claim" here is just the logical conclusion to that fact as any claim to the contrary would instantly be disproven by how popular the story is.

7 hours ago, Katary.7096 said:

Difficulty isn't popular.

To a degree it is but yes, generally not. For it to be popular the enemies should at least be strong enough to "put up a fight" but also be weak enough for the player to stay in control of it. Now this would put the bar rather low if the goal is to make the content popular with the average player but there has to be a bar nevertheless.

11 hours ago, Katary.7096 said:

You have just given a description for dragon response missions.

Not quite, despite them being the "closest thing to it" we currently have even they miss the mark on multiple points. While some of them do have the right level of difficulty others have a level of AoE CC add spam that's rather unprecedented for "your average OW event" especially if we take the scaling into account and speaking of which it's just as horrible as it is anywhere else which is why I hope that EoD finally addresses this issue but this remains to be seen.

The rewards are also rather abysmal once you got the skins you wanted to get, it's good that you get the big chest for every clear but it ultimately means nothing if it's significantly less rewarding then even just killing random trashmobs in various LW maps. Another issue is that most of them drag on for far too long, they should have aimed for 5-10 min but if we take the pre events into account it averages out to something more like 15-25 min which is way too much.

17 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Depends on how much more doesn't it 😉 .

Precisely why "more successful than raids" is such a poor metric. The range above the point of comparison is too vast. Something can be "more successful than raids" and be broadly successful or it can still end up as a failure. The statement contains no relevant information and as such was pointless to make.

I don't know the answer to your question though ... Probably has something to do with the fact that determining what content to add to the game is more complicated than just having resources to do it.

You are probably right.

Again my point here ... if the condition is right for the business case, resources aren't a barrier to implementing the idea. They just hire people, just like any other company would do .... or implement one of the other many solutions to 'no resources' to do it. 

Anet would not generate additional resources for something which they expect will not turn a profit. At the same time, something with the potential to be successful financially is not a guarantee for it to be added to the game. The developers had the option of creating the kind of content OP is asking for for years and didn't do it. I haven't seen a good reason why I should expect this to change in the future.

10 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Because that's what was implied here: "why would they make something that isn't ... open world content?" assumes that there is something special about OW content that would make making it instead of instanced content (which would be the only PvE related alternative left if we exclude the aforementioned) preferable (otherwise there would have been no point in even bringing the question up) which is not the case.

Ah I see. You excluded the fact that I mentioned story content as well. Makes sense that you would get that impression then. But since that isn't the statement I made there is no point in me continuing here.

11 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

The "information" here is obvious: the simple fact that people do engage with the main story of the game which shows that content being instanced is not a deterrent for player engagement. My "claim" here is just the logical conclusion to that fact as any claim to the contrary would instantly be disproven by how popular the story is.

You are overlooking the possibility that story content is popular despite it being instanced as opposed to being popular because it is instanced. It is possible for story content (which is instanced) to be successful and for instanced content to have elements which inherently reduce its popularity simultaneously. An alternate reality version of Guild Wars 2 in which all the story content is open world content might be more successful and leave your "logical conclusion" meaningless.

Apart from which, assuming you are entirely correct, then we could say that Arenanet can solve the issue of any instanced content being unpopular by turning all the game's instanced content into story content.

11 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

To a degree it is but yes, generally not. For it to be popular the enemies should at least be strong enough to "put up a fight" but also be weak enough for the player to stay in control of it. Now this would put the bar rather low if the goal is to make the content popular with the average player but there has to be a bar nevertheless.

Somehow we seem to have moved on to the topic of "If OP's suggestion were to be implented into the game, how should it be done?". I'm not interested.

12 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

Not quite, despite them being the "closest thing to it" we currently have even they miss the mark on multiple points. While some of them do have the right level of difficulty others have a level of AoE CC add spam that's rather unprecedented for "your average OW event" especially if we take the scaling into account and speaking of which it's just as horrible as it is anywhere else which is why I hope that EoD finally addresses this issue but this remains to be seen.

The rewards are also rather abysmal once you got the skins you wanted to get, it's good that you get the big chest for every clear but it ultimately means nothing if it's significantly less rewarding then even just killing random trashmobs in various LW maps. Another issue is that most of them drag on for far too long, they should have aimed for 5-10 min but if we take the pre events into account it averages out to something more like 15-25 min which is way too much.

So content with the difficulty level of "an average open world event" but it's instanced, gives better loot than "farming random trashmobs on living world maps" and it should be over in 5-10min? Sounds like a disaster. I can only hope it never makes it into the game.

Additionally this has little to do with OP's suggestion, since the topic is specifically for single player content, so player scaling can't be an issue because there's only going to be one player. And if it's as difficult as the average open world event than asking for the content to have challenging fights obviously doesn't work either.

1 hour ago, Katary.7096 said:

Anet would not generate additional resources for something which they expect will not turn a profit. At the same time, something with the potential to be successful financially is not a guarantee for it to be added to the game. The developers had the option of creating the kind of content OP is asking for for years and didn't do it. I haven't seen a good reason why I should expect this to change in the future.

Sure ... and that's the point I already made of Anet having a business case or not for the content. I'm not suggesting they just go out on a whim and put it in ... it needs to make sense to do so, but they can get a good sense if it does.

Edited by Obtena.7952

You excluded the fact that I mentioned story content as well.

I didn't exclude it as it was already included in "the aforementioned".

You are overlooking the possibility that story content is popular despite it being instanced

If that's the case then this would reflect in any way shape or form in the feedback players give but while there are several criticisms of the story (such as "the Zhaitan fight being anticlimactic", "the Caudecus  fight being "poory desined"" or "Aurene ex machina") it being instanced content is pretty much never one of them so there is no point in going after "possibilities" rooted in baseless assumptions.

Apart from which, assuming you are entirely correct, then we could say that Arenanet can solve the issue of any instanced content being unpopular by turning all the game's instanced content into story content.

Changing it to make it roughly on par with the main story of the game would increase the initial engagement with the content but that's all your suggestion would be doing in that regard.

So content with the difficulty level of "an average open world event" but it's instanced, gives better loot than "farming random trashmobs on living world maps" and it should be over in 5-10min? Sounds like a disaster.

Why, because people might actually end up engaging with the content beyond the initial experience? Not much of an argument here you just seem to be opposed to the idea of popular instanced content with replay value designed for the average player. Of course if the goal is to make the content more popular then bringing it on par with OW events in terms of difficulty, time to clear and how rewarding it is is the least thing they would have to do here. Anything else would be a "disaster" as there is no reson to expect the average player to engage with the content if they can just go to the OW and do some events that give multiple times the rewards for a fraction of the time invested especially if they are faced with increased difficulty.

Additionally this has little to do with OP's suggestion

So does your objection of "why make something that isn't popular" which A-Net does all the time.