Single player raids / dungeons / fractals / strike missions

Xenn.1602

9 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

His whole post.

He just wants to bring his builds to hard content and figure it out by himself without others, which is what he can already do, as I -and others- already wrote above. Just because more players could potentially enter if he wanted them to doesn't change the fact that what he's looking for is already in the game. If the point is "I just want more/faster rewards" then that's not a point at all.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 5

5 minutes ago, DoomNexus.5324 said:

I kitten hate the argument "iT iS mAsSiVeLy MuLtIpLaYeR sO nO sInGlE pLaYeR cOnTeNt!" 
Maybe I want to do both? Being able to do raids and other group content when I have time and if don't have too much time I want to have something to do on my own?
Maybe I want to have the progression and new content cycles an MMO can provide in constrast to a fairly limited and short single player game?
Maybe I'm more interested in competitive content so sPvP and roaming in WvW with an occasional guild or public raid and I'm not too keen in engaging with others in PvE as well? 

There are plenty of reasons why people would play an MMO over anything else other than raids. 
"MMORPG" does not equal "only full squad hardcore content". I can spend my time online with some friends for various things without the urge to constantly team up with people for "the real content".
Same goes for PvP as there is the same argument but replace "singleplayer game" with "pvp focused game". Maybe I enjoy doing PvE and having different options than ONLY competitive stuff. In the same game. I don't want to start all over in 10 different games when an MMO offers everything at once. They'll probably not excel in every single aspect but asking about specific elements to be improved should be allowed imo.

Yea but folks think if you arent doing raids you arent a real gamer. Filthy casuals!(yes this is sarcasm).

I agree with what you wrote though. MMOs dont mean "must always be doing grouped content".

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

It means just because you no longer getting a reward due to playing this game for over 7 years doesn't mean the same applies to the majority of others.

I did mention "apart from achievements" didn't I? And you can get those by killing those enemies just once.

I repeat: there's absolutely no reward for repeating those encounters. To anyone, whether they are veterans from the very beginning of a game, or completely new players.

Irrelevant, you better read again what the OP is asking for.

I wasn't responding to OP but to you. And in that context it was very relevant.

If you haven't noticed already, difficulty is exactly why it is unpopular.

I have noticed that it was significantly more popular when it had rewards.

And it will remain unpopular no matter whether Anet introduce further reward or not.

See above.

Rewards are a tricky issue always. Give too little (or too much, for that matter), and you end up unable to see what the actual popularity of the content is.

As long as the majority of players frustrate over the content without an alternate solution, they would avoid it.

Most players were not frustrated on most of the gauntlet bosses at all. It was mainly Liadri alone that was the issue.

If the players enjoy overcoming such frustrations, they already adapted to raid conditions.

If raids had similar reward level as gauntlet, they would not have ended up abandoned after 7 wings, but they'd have gotten axed after the first one.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

He just wants to bring his builds to hard content and figure it out by himself without others, which is what he can already do,

Sure he can do that, but that's not his ask here. 

Is your argument really that if someone can already 'do something' ingame ... then there isn't a need for more or different content to do that? I will remember that the next time people ask for MOAR RAIDZ or QQ about Strike missions. 😆

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

inb4 the same people's petty personal squabbles shut down another thread

More like, it's another thread that realizes that no matter how might we want to avoid it, there's no way to speak about some of the topics without always running into the same base issues. Which happen to be very polarizing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Sure he can do that, but that's not his ask here. 

Yes, it is. He just wants to bring his builds to hard content and figure it out by himself without others, which is what he can already do, as I -and others- already wrote above. Just because more players could potentially enter if he wanted them to doesn't change the fact that what he's looking for is already in the game. If the point is "I just want more/faster rewards" then that's not a point at all.

Is your argument really that if someone can already 'do something' ingame ... then there isn't a need for more or different content to do that?

We've already been through this in the posts above, so again -how many times do you need to read the same thing for it to finally get through? He (or you) is not asking for "more", he (and you) is pretending he can't already do that, when he can. 🙄 

For real, do you have some kind of 2-post memory or are you just pretending here because you want to go in circles for some reason?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 7

I'm not being obtuse here. It's clear the OP wants something like Queen's Gambit ... and that's not really an unreasonable ask. Sure, someone with enough skill can solo instances designed for multiple players to test themselves. That's not his ask. If you think so, you didn't take the time to read his post and the concept he presents. 

It's pretty bad acting to oversimply what the OP is asking for to simply dismiss it with a "that's already ingame". 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I'm not being obtuse here. It's clear the OP wants something like Queen's Gambit ... and that's not really an unreasonable ask. Sure, someone with enough skill can solo instances designed for multiple players to test themselves. That's not his ask. If you think so, you didn't take the time to read his post and the concept he presents. 

It's pretty bad acting to oversimply what the OP is asking for to simply dismiss it with a "that's already ingame". 

...aren't you? (not saying you are, I'm just as unsure as I was a few posts ago) Then why do I need to repeat same thing multiple times, which then you dodge just to come back later with what was already answered? Not once.

OP wants hard content he can solo with his own builds on his own pace that gives rewards, where nobody dictates what he has to play. This is already a possibility throughout multiple modes. It's pretty bad acting to pretend he's just "asking for more". It's what you'd hope he's doing, while at the same time you kept badly acting pretending this is not already available in the game. But it is. Maybe OP just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 6

4 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

...aren't you? (not saying you are, I'm just as unsure as I was a few posts ago) Then why do I need to repeat same thing multiple times, which then you dodge just to come back later with what was already answered? Not once.

OP wants hard content he can solo with his own builds on his own pace that gives rewards, where nobody dictates what he has to play. This is already a possibility throughout multiple modes. It's pretty bad acting to pretend he's just "asking for more". It's what you'd hope he's doing, while at the same time you kept badly acting pretending this is not already available in the game. But it is. Maybe OP just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Again, ALREADY being able to do that is not a reason to not add more if it's indeed what he's looking for. I don't really think what he's looking for IS there though. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Already answered to that, go reread the posts again. Or do you need me to ctrlc-ctrlv for you?

Do what you like. The fact that people want something that have similarities to already-existing content isn't a reason not to discuss adding more content. That's a dishonest way to shut down a discussion if you ask me. You realize that 'already ingame' argument is nonsensical right? That reasoning actually flies in the face of any time Anet has added a new raid, fractal, storyline, expansion, skins, outfits, maps, events, festivals, espec, mounts, etc ... 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, vilkanor.3072 said:

I feel the pain 🙂 GW2 is not 'grown up friendly' (and no, the LFG tool ain't gonna help). 99% of PvE activities require time commitment to be completed (aka, you cannot disengage randomly and still get benefits), which is the main reason why I only play WvW/sPvP (I can chime in 5/10 minutes, have fun and still progress toward something). It would be nice to have some content specifically tailored around a busier customer target; as things are now, I would prefer a standalone WvW-sPvP game, I'd buy it day one.

This is really the core of the issue for me too.  A lot of things in this game, even open world stuff, have been trending towards needing longer and longer uninterrupted blocks of time to get the most out of it.  And any "overhead" time spent waiting on lfg, group set up, replace someone who quit, etc. is really undesirable when playtime is limited or easily interrupted.  I don't want to waste peoples time by needing to jump up and afk in the middle of a fight, so I don't do instances.  Im a GW1 vet, and have aged a bit, but love the franchise.  GW1 hero/hench really allowed you to experience nearly 100% of the game without complications.

Kids >>>>> gaming, but I've always wanted to program a simulator just to convey to people with unrestricted gaming time how volatile the timing of gaming sessions can be as a working adult, especially with kids - something like: at a random interval ranging from 15 to 45 minutes an alarm goes off and you need to roll a d20. 

20 - Your kid is passed out from a long day, turn off the alarm and play the next hour uninterrupted.

13-19 - So far so good. You may keep playing as normal. Reset the alarm timer though.

9-12 - What was that noise on the baby monitor?  Get up and check - immediately pause playing for 2 minutes, then reset the alarm.

4-8 - You thought he was asleep, but your kid drank too much milk at dinner, has to pee, and wants another story before actually going to sleep.  Immediately pause play for 15 minutes, then reset the alarm.

2-3 - Toddler woke up from a bad dream and is scared.  Immediately pause playing for an hour to get him settled back down, then reset the alarm.

1 - Your kid just puked in their bed.  They're sick.  Immediately log off for the rest of the night and instead spend it sitting awake in a chair in darkness.

As far as the "go play a single player game" silliness, I (and I suspect many others arguing the point) enjoy many aspects of multiplayer gaming - the huge multiplayer ingame economy is a major draw for me, as is pvp/wvw, and simply having folks around in open world and boss events.  I don't care one way or the other if gated out of "exclusive" raid rewards, but many of those encounters look interesting from both story and mechanics PoV.  The difficulty scaling on DRM showed that they can, in fact, create instances that can adapt for solo players, even if they take a bit longer. 

Edited by thehipone.6812
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I did mention "apart from achievements" didn't I? And you can get those by killing those enemies just once.

I repeat: there's absolutely no reward for repeating those encounters. To anyone, whether they are veterans from the very beginning of a game, or completely new players.

Irrelevant, the majority of players hasn't even done it once for the first time title, achievement and mini reward, let along repeating the success.

I wasn't responding to OP but to you. And in that context it was very relevant.

And my context was responding to OP, not to your setting in a very barrow perspective.

I have noticed that it was significantly more popular when it had rewards.

Even in 2014, it was largely avoided by the majority of players even when the game has far more population, and has much larger hardcore player base.

Most players were not frustrated on most of the gauntlet bosses at all. It was mainly Liadri alone that was the issue.

On a very narrow participation playerbase, sure.

If raids had similar reward level as gauntlet, they would not have ended up abandoned after 7 wings, but they'd have gotten axed after the first one.

you don't get it, the question here is not comparing the reward, but

Group based challenge content vs Single player based challenge content.

Where in a grouped setting players can alternating their preference to avoid certain mechanics by assigning a different role, or having a second chance from previous mistakes by being revived from a teammate. Single player ends up with something that players would now have to take every active boss mechanic on his own, with irreversible down/death penalty. And finally, it still only attract raiders.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

The fact that people want something that have similarities to already-existing content isn't a reason not to discuss adding more content.

It also definitely isn't a reason to pretend it's not already in the game like OP or you did.

Are we going for another lap of same repeated responses? 🙃 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 5

15 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

I diden say stop making content, they will obviously make more content and the ratio will problabey still be those 90% to soloable openworld, drms, story collections etc.

Why cant fractals/dungeons, strikes and raids be about groups and squads mate?

Because fractals / raids / dungeons all are much more fun than a bunch of random open world bosses that are not challanging or rewarding, they look much better, are way more immersive. Making 2 versions of them should in many cases also not be that hard for anet, just adjust some mechanics and some boss levels. And like I said the trade off can be that doing it in a group can be a bit faster or a bit more rewarding to keep it fair.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

Using Buildcraft to substantiate this request is intellectually dishonest.

no it's not, build craft is a significant part of the combat system and all intented to be this way. Wanting to do hard stuff on my own builds rather than running a copied meta build, gives me and many others even more depth / fun to the game, and having solo dungeons / fractals / raids gives lots of new opportunity's for getting creative with your builds and having fun with it. Also it's a completely different game play, you are responsible for your own CC/ healing / cleansing / dps etc., so it brings something new to the table with less effort for Anet to implement because largely the material is already there, it just needs some rework.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Why do you play a mass multiplayer game if you want single player experience? There are a ton of single player games out there to fill that need

because I still enjoy being together, we all share the same hobby, we can chat, we can interact, help each other etc. Also I don't ONLY play single, like I explained I just can rarily dedicate myself to a hard long team effort, and also I need some freedom with time, play style, exploring stuff on my own, try out my own tactic and build. Like even normal dungeons are often farmed terribly efficient, skip mobs etc. I hate that, I don't want to farm, I want to play. And about single player games, apart from no interaction with other people at all, or not building your account to fit other game purposes as well, there are definitely not a ton of single player games that offer the same richness gw2 has to offer. There are only a few titles I play solo, and some that can be played co-op, but all these games only have a few hours of game play to offer. Also the combat mechanics of gw2 are really good and only a few single player games perhaps give similar experiences. Dungeons / Raids / Fractals are really one of the most epic and immersive content gw2 has to offer. Doing a bunch of open world bosses in a row is not immersive at all, you teleport all over Tyria, it just feels like a farm, so that's why I would love to have the most epic pve content also availalbe for single player.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Xenn.1602 said:

no it's not, build craft is a significant part of the combat system and all intented to be this way. Wanting to do hard stuff on my own builds rather than running a copied meta build, gives me and many others even more depth / fun to the game, and having solo dungeons / fractals / raids gives lots of new opportunity's for getting creative with your builds and having fun with it.

And what stops you from doing it now?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

46 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

The problem is he wants raids and cms tuned to single player , and thats not going to happen.

Well, that's not really a problem is it? I mean, what would be the problem WITH that? Whether are not it would happen is irrelevant to the discussion ... it's just a suggestion. Let's say we got 'single player raids/CM's' in EoD, just for the sake of discussion ... what happens? What's the 'problem' that appears here?

Because let me assure you ... having a 'hard' single player content is JUST as interesting to hardcore players that do raids as it is to hardcore players that don't because those people are in it for the accomplishment, team or no team. This isn't a raids vs. not raids consideration. It's a 'hard content' vs. easy content discussion. The only reason raid people are against it is because they have some belief it's going to 'take away' from instanced content that hold sacred beliefs in like ... SHOULD be multi-player. I'm not seeing why that's the default conclusion people would make here. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And what stops you from doing it now?

more interesting solo content, fractals, dungeons, raids, are the most epic / immersive pve content the game has to offer, as in my other reply; now i'm just hopping from boss to boss making and testing my builds. So the build part is fun, the soloing the bosses was also fun at first, but hopping from boss to boss all over tyria is not immersive at all, so I wish the game had more to offer here, and it can be done rather easily when anet only need to rework existing content a bit, unlocking a lot of new game play as it requires different builds and tactict than dungeons currently do in a team.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2