Super Elite Mortar Kit Fun Time!

Dirame.8521

Guys..... I think Mortar need to be nerfed. I mean seriously, this build... is just wow....

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PeQAIlNwsYNsLWKO+XeteA-zZIPjMVAFMBU5A

And you might be like... Dirame… what is this about? Well the build uses quickness to speed up Mortar Kit shells and these shells when you stack all the damage modifiers + might.... it's literally a 100 blades from above and I've been free casting my way to victory the entire time. Combine your shelling of people with a few dodges here and there to activate Explosive entrance and you've got yourself a crazy bursty build.The build is specifically built for team fighting, it doesn't do great in 1v1s but the more mechanically skilled out there can make it work. Back-casting is your best-friend. (I am not one of the mechanically skilled people)I went straight to Platinum after my placement matches (keep in mind I've been in gold the past 3 seasons) so carrying your team in team fights has its benefits :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-eS1HDKXFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJPsvOQzlzk

• 2 weeks later...

i now realize these videos don't do the build enough justice. That said, I won't be recording any more videos to show how the build performs because I have got more pressing matters to attend to now. Hopefully you guys try it out and see for yourself how easy it can be to wipe an entire team from a nice vantage point whilst having the ability to stealth and reposition with ease.

I believe the "consensus" (as in, the comment I hear the most from random people talking in random chat) is that Mortar kit wasn't nerfed sufficiently in the patch (or were they even nerfed at all?).

It isn't an coincidence that all of a sudden you see DPS Scrappers everywhere now in WvW as well. Does that mean they are OP and need a nerf? I don't think they do, I just think they escaped being nerfed from orbit, and until ANET starts to tweak the numbers of other power DPS builds to reach some sort of equilibrium, Mortar Kit and Grenade Kit will remain outliers that people will use to carry them. Once ANET does get around to tweaking power DPS, which I believe they will, and that the patch was just a first step to establish a baseline, then I think Scrapper won't be as much of an outlier, and the bandwagon will end; those who still like the build will continue to use it, while others will revert to other builds.

@Kontrolle.3514 said:Mortar shells are projectiles, so they can be countered to easy. You can even kill your own team really fast if they get reflected from a burnig guard/FB.Indeed. Turkeyspit above got it all wrong, because obviously it is coincidence as the WvW dps meta scrapper does not use the mortar. It uses the sneak gyro just like the meta healer, as thats the primary use outside of healing. A mortar engie wouldnt be accepted in zergs because it offers zero use - better to bring another bomb scourge then. Mortar kit is nearly useless in WvW.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Kontrolle.3514 said:Mortar shells are projectiles, so they can be countered to easy. You can even kill your own team really fast if they get reflected from a burnig guard/FB.Indeed. Turkeyspit above got it all wrong, because obviously it
is
coincidence as the WvW dps meta scrapper
does not use the mortar
. It uses the sneak gyro just like the meta healer, as thats the primary use outside of healing. A mortar engie wouldnt be accepted in zergs because it offers zero use - better to bring another bomb scourge then. Mortar kit is nearly useless in WvW.

I disagree. It may be useless in zerg fights that's correct, but gameplay exists outside of that. It's almost as dangerous when defending as burn guard, mortar + rockets can clear an area very quickly when used correctly. I use mortar when roaming on holo as it offers a lot of useful stuff like chill, blinds, water field, and decent aoe damage.It's far from useless.

@Samug.6512 said:

@Kontrolle.3514 said:Mortar shells are projectiles, so they can be countered to easy. You can even kill your own team really fast if they get reflected from a burnig guard/FB.Indeed. Turkeyspit above got it all wrong, because obviously it
is
does not use the mortar
. It uses the sneak gyro just like the meta healer, as thats the primary use outside of healing. A mortar engie wouldnt be accepted in zergs because it offers zero use - better to bring another bomb scourge then. Mortar kit is nearly useless in WvW.

I disagree. It may be useless in zerg fights that's correct, but gameplay exists outside of that. It's almost as dangerous when defending as burn guard, mortar + rockets can clear an area very quickly when used correctly. I use mortar when roaming on holo as it offers a lot of useful stuff like chill, blinds, water field, and decent aoe damage.It's far from useless.If far is close enough to be nearly there except for very few people, then yes.

truly you have been blessed to not encounter players that know what a reflect/projectile destroy field is , engineer is precisely useless in ranged combat because of it mostly wvw , the most use you'll get from mortar is in small scale pvp as a chill/poison/blind field generator. anything you can do with mortar you can do with bomb kit except poison i guess

a bit of hyperbole but still close to being accurate

@Samug.6512 said:

is
does not use the mortar

I disagree. It may be useless in zerg fights that's correct, but gameplay exists outside of that. It's almost as dangerous when defending as burn guard, mortar + rockets can clear an area very quickly when used correctly. I use mortar when roaming on holo as it offers a lot of useful stuff like chill, blinds, water field, and decent aoe damage.It's far from useless.

I agree. I put a new build together recently that uses Mortar Kit, Bomb Kit and Elixir Gun on a core Pistol/Shield Power build.

I know how that sounds, like it couldn't kill anything, but it's quite the opposite. I was debating on sharing it because I like to share builds I'm proud of, but I genuinely think I made something kind of OP so I'm gonna keep it to myself, lol.

Mortar Kit is very situationally strong. It's easy to reflect, interrupt or just walk out of, but the fields it provides and the damage it can cause are far from irrelevant. There are things that are legitimately bad, or just so niche they're not worth using, but I don't think this is one of those. You just need to practice with it a bit to see it's potential.

Regarding it's damage, I don't think it should be nerfed nor do I think it's in danger of being. With how easy it is to counter or avoid, I think it's fine as is. Granted, lobbing it behind you while people eat every hit as they chase is incredibly mindless and very rewarding, I don't think that should warrant a nerf.